Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Which is harder to vacuum-seal, 5 lbs. of beans or 5 lbs. of Hershey's Kisses?

1. Post #1

If coffee is gold, I own Fort Knox Nickelless's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,668 Times in 1,278 Posts

Default Which is harder to vacuum-seal, 5 lbs. of beans or 5 lbs. of Hershey's Kisses?

This might seem like a useless academic exercise, but bear with me, because I think there is some real-life application for those of us who are vacuum-sealing food in mylar bags. I am in the process of moving part of my preps to a different part of my property, and tonight as I was pulling the lid off of one of my 5-gallon buckets that I'd forgotten to label, I discovered 4 2.5-pound bags of Hershey's Kisses that I'd bought a couple months ago and had stuck in a bucket until I had time to vacuum-seal them. So I got my vacuum-sealer ready and pulled out a couple of the 10-by-14-inch mylar bags that I use for smaller batches of food items, I poured two bags of Kisses into each mylar bag and went through the process that I normally go through to vacuum-seal stuff. And at first I was a bit surprised that it was so hard to contain the 5 pounds of Kisses in one of the bags since I usually have no trouble vacuum-sealing 5 pounds of anything else in that same size of bag, but then it occurred to me--there's a lot more empty space in a 5-pound bag of Hershey's Kisses than there is in a 5-pound bag of rice or beans (unless you have alien-sized beans or rice grains), plus chocolate is less dense than beans or rice, so the bag with more empty space is less compact and might pose more problems trying to fit everything in a certain-size bag. If, like me, you're accustomed to putting the same weight or volume of different items in the same size bag, you might not get the same success rate if you're trying to vacuum-seal very different items depending on the size of the pieces. I'm not as worried about chocolate going "bad" (if that's possible) from a lack of a vacuum-seal as I would be about other items that are more susceptible to spoilage because of air, but for those of us who are vacuum-sealing food preps in bags, this might be a good lesson for us to learn.
    Last edited by Nickelless; 03-15-2011 at 06:27 AM.
    Coffee diem: Seize Juan Valdez!

2. Post #2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 683 Posts

Default Re: Which is harder to vacuum-seal, 5 lbs. of beans or 5 lbs. of Hershey's Kisses?

I'm not as worried about chocolate going "bad" (if that's possible)
    Chocolate has fats which can go rancid.
    =========

The necessity of oil is the mother of intervention.

3. Post #3

Thanks

Default Re: Which is harder to vacuum-seal, 5 lbs. of beans or 5 lbs. of Hershey's Kisses?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclad Lad View Post
    Chocolate has fats which can go rancid.
    But not all fats are as susceptible to rancidity under equal conditions. Don't saturated fats such as in chocolate store well for a much longer time than monounsaturated fats?

4. Post #4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 683 Posts

If you're talking about cocoa butter, which is a plant-based saturated fat, yes. Those Kisses are loaded with milk fat, which can be ultra-pasteurized and such to extend shelf life, but which will go bad much sooner.

You're better off storing baking chocolate and sugar. For quick treats go with one of the high percentage dark chocolates.
    =========

The necessity of oil is the mother of intervention.

5. Post #5

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unclad Lad View Post
    If you're talking about cocoa butter, which is a plant-based saturated fat, yes. Those Kisses are loaded with milk fat, which can be ultra-pasteurized and such to extend shelf life, but which will go bad much sooner.

You're better off storing baking chocolate and sugar. For quick treats go with one of the high percentage dark chocolates.
    Well then, I'll just have to eat the chocolate a lot sooner...not that that should be a problem!