Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: What price does .925 (sterling) silver go for these days?

1. Post #1

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Default What price does .925 (sterling) silver go for these days?

I seem to have amassed about 13/14lbs of the stuff, mostly scrap - dented bowls, cigarette cases, squashed hip flasks and a lot of jewellery. Mostly for pennies or a couple of dollars at yard sales because "It's just an old dented bowl", etc. The 13lbs is once I took out all the steel jewellery pins, low value gems, steel anything, etc - it is all hallmarked and all .925.
    I know it's worth a lot less than .999 silver, but would anyone care to have a guess at what a reputable buyer/refiner would offer for this lot? I have no idea if it is "valuable" (it certainly isn't to me!) or just junk silver that a hobbyist might buy to melt down and make jewellery and the like.
    Anyone any guesstimates?

2. Post #2

Thanks

Default Re: What price does .925 (sterling) silver go for these days?

Apologies, it seems we don't value silver in lbs! It's 190 or so Troy Ounces.

3. Post #3

Thanks
    Thanked 4,881 Times in 1,604 Posts

Midwest pays 90% of the silver value.....so 0.9 x 190 x spot = bit over 7 grand.
    Not bad for yard sales.

http://www.midwestrefineries.com/silver.htm
    "Fiat money is the child of the arrogance of human intellect, which has sought to invalidate the laws of human nature which have regarded the precious metals as money for thousands of years, and sought to substitute an intellectual construct for the real thing. Now we are going to pay for that arrogance." Hugo Salinas Price

4. Post #4

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner silverwood's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimfrancisco View Post
    Apologies, it seems we don't value silver in lbs! It's 190 or so Troy Ounces.
    Midwest refiners, google it and call them. My guess is it will bring 80 to 90% of spot after being refined for it actual silver content. I don't know of any but a jeweler who make their own jewelry should be willing to pay more than a refiner would, IMO.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to silverwood For This Useful Post:

Jimfrancisco (04-14-2011)

6. Post #5

Thanks

Jesus, 7 grand? I probably spent less than $200 on the whole lot! I have a friend with a forge, who could melt it all into one bar or whatever shape I want (no coins in there) - should I do that, or just bring in the 100+individual pieces? Should I clean them first, or is like antique silver where cleaning drops the value?
    And - you're not ****ting me about the value? I thought it might bring in a few hundred at best!

7. Post #6

Silver Member
    Thanks

Jesus, 7 grand? I probably spent less than $200 on the whole lot! I have a friend with a forge, who could melt it all into one bar or whatever shape I want (no coins in there) - should I do that, or just bring in the 100+individual pieces? Should I clean them first, or is like antique silver where cleaning drops the value?
    And - you're not ****ting me about the value? I thought it might bring in a few hundred at best!
    Very conservatively, if you assume 80% of spot, due to loss or not quite .925, the lot would bring: 0.8*190*42 = 6348. Say ~$6250 after shipping and handling and assuming the price of silver doesn't move from the current price.

90% yield would be $7182 gross.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    What's to refute, price inflation is a given, DUH............
    Quote Originally Posted by TiKi View Post
    ... You can't scam GIM vets homie.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Turner-son For This Useful Post:

9. Post #7

Thanks

Go to Midwest's website.

They have a list of what they will and won't take ( sterling silver knives with steel blades, for example....you have to remove the blade ). Don't bother cleaning, melting it or anything....it's all going in the melting pot there.... box it up, send it INSURED to them, and decide how you want payment....they do check, wire transfer, or pay in gold/silver bullion/coin if they have what you want in stock.

But yes....about 7 grand IF you have 190 troy ounces of silver....I assume you already did the math of "Bulk weight x .925 (sterling)= your ounces of silver in the stuff"

Then they pay 90% of that 190 = 171 paid ounces, and silver just busted 42 quite nicely, so 42 x 171 = 7,182......but hurry....if silver runs on up to 50, you're gonna be burdened with 8,550.....ahahahaaaaa
    "Fiat money is the child of the arrogance of human intellect, which has sought to invalidate the laws of human nature which have regarded the precious metals as money for thousands of years, and sought to substitute an intellectual construct for the real thing. Now we are going to pay for that arrogance." Hugo Salinas Price

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TnAndy For This Useful Post:

11. Post #8

Thanks

That's insane - I was about to put it on Ebay. But who is going to fork out 6-7k on scrap silver on Ebay! So what's the verdict, polish or not, melt down or not? I'm not really a precious metals person, mostly stay in the survival prep forum - but a few grand effectively for "free" would be great!

12. Post #9

Thanks

It's all clean of anything like steel, lead, everything - spent night after night doing it and making sure it was all hallmarked.
    I was going to have some of it it made into a nice bar as a lamp base for my girlfriend (likes shiny things!) with her name engraved on it, thinking it was maybe worth around $3-400 all in. But I can get her something really nice with even a fraction of the cash now!

13. Post #10

Thanks

Now you see why Grandma's is buying a gun safe for her 12 place silver tableware set huh ?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TnAndy For This Useful Post:

15. Post #11

Thanks

Not half! Grandma is long gone, but I have a load of her "nice" silver I will never melt - this stuff is just bent, squashed, junk to me. I do look at the little "How much metals have gone up by" thing in the top right corner of the screen, and silver is nearly always a nice green arrow - always thought it would be nice to hold a couple of ounce bars, just to have. Never realised junk silver was worth good money as well!
    That's the kitchen refitted then, a couple more guns, some into the mortgage, and some hookers and blow. And a nice new shovel to bury the hookers with afterwards.
    I must weigh my mum's inherited gold jewellery (some of it damaged), she thinks it is "safe" in her jewellery box, and has quite a lot from different relatives. Time for a floor safe, or one of these boat trips I hear people take!
    Thank you, people!
    J.

16. Post #12

Thanks
    Thanked 7,124 Times in 3,253 Posts

Hopefully you'll offer a few of the better pieces to a local antique shop or two before sending everything off. It would be a shame to melt 100+ year old handmade silver for only 80% of spot. I can only imagine how much was melted during the early 80's :\

17. Post #13

Silver Member
    Thanks

Not half! Grandma is long gone, but I have a load of her "nice" silver I will never melt - this stuff is just bent, squashed, junk to me. I do look at the little "How much metals have gone up by" thing in the top right corner of the screen, and silver is nearly always a nice green arrow - always thought it would be nice to hold a couple of ounce bars, just to have. Never realised junk silver was worth good money as well!
    That's the kitchen refitted then, a couple more guns, some into the mortgage, and some hookers and blow. And a nice new shovel to bury the hookers with afterwards.
    I must weigh my mum's inherited gold jewellery (some of it damaged), she thinks it is "safe" in her jewellery box, and has quite a lot from different relatives. Time for a floor safe, or one of these boat trips I hear people take!
    Thank you, people!
    J.
    Why wouldn't junk sterling silver be worth money? It's still 92.5% pure silver. A troy ounce of sterling would be worth 92.5% of spot, disregarding any aesthetic value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    What's to refute, price inflation is a given, DUH............
    Quote Originally Posted by TiKi View Post
    ... You can't scam GIM vets homie.

18. Post #14

Thanks

And maybe time to check out a LOT more yard sales as well... it's like a silver mine!

19. Post #15

Thanks

Oh, don't worry - I'll be weighing the few good pieces and bringing them to jewellers and shops before anything gets melted, just in case!

20. Post #16

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turner-son View Post
    Why wouldn't junk sterling silver be worth money? It's still 92.5% pure silver. A troy ounce of sterling would be worth 92.5% of spot, disregarding any aesthetic value.
    I just had the idea in my head that as it wasn't pure .999, it was "cheap" silver, a bit like electroplated crap. pretty worthless. VERY pleased to be wrong!

21. Post #17

Thanks

The day is coming when even plated will be worth fooling with......

22. Post #18

Thanks
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 881 Posts

here's a calculator for all kinds of PMs and weight units:

http://www.dendritics.com/scales/met...N=USD&Markup=0
    Anything that is printed on this page is purely fictional, and is in the context of an alternate virtual reality in a parallel universe. I, myself, am a fictional character! Any statements which appear to have a resemblance to real people or institutions or events, past, present or future, are unintentional and the result of pure coincidence.

Proud of my tin-foil hat - this is pride of something EARNED (I'm a self-made "nut"!) - and anything I may say should be taken in this context!

23. Post #19

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner fasTTcar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TnAndy View Post
    The day is coming when even plated will be worth fooling with......
    Not for a while.

The standard is 1 troy ounce per 144 forks in a "silverware" set. We have to tack on a couple zeros to the spot price before we get there.

In the meantime, I found it pretty breath taking that I purchased a sterling set today and, broken down, I paid $47.18 per dinner fork and was happy to get it.

24. Post #20

Thanks

OK....didn't know the amount. So 144 forks = 1 troy ounce ( I assume you meant silver plated forks )....that makes one worth about .29 cents.

Probably do that now at yard sales......and set aside until the day silver hits 100/oz.

Good to have some idea what silver plate is worth.....thanks.

25. Post #21

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dacrunch View Post
    here's a calculator for all kinds of PMs and weight units:

http://www.dendritics.com/scales/met...N=USD&Markup=0
    I just sent in a box of sterling mis-matched silverware (forks, spoons, ladles) to Midwest Refineries... About 44 troy ounces content... Calculator says it's above $2200... But perhaps some of the items were NOT sterling, so we'll see. (I can't tell whether the "unmarked" ones are "German Silver", aka zinc & ?... All from my wife's visits to yard sales a decade or 2 ago, probably 25 cents each... She didn't know they were silver, just knew we didn't have enough spoons & forks...

To Midwest Refineries

On the phone, they said they had few 999 coins for trade in stock, but a few gold coins. Smallest gold coins they carry are 1 oz. Asked for payment with 1oz of Gold Coin, balance with silver coins.
    They pay 90% of the Troy Silver content. For coins in payment they charge $2 above spot for silver coins, and $55 above spot for gold 1oz coins.

Still - it makes for an interesting "swap" between "unmarketable old silverware" and "recognizable PM bullion"...

About a 10 day turnaround, we'll see what comes... If they don't have the bullion, they'll just send a check.

I didn't send in a complete sterling set of 12 teaspoons with a sugar-cube pincher, in a velvet-lined wooden box... Calculator said they're worth $350 in troy content... but it's a complete set, so held on... Might be worth more as a set... Interested in selling that one, if somebody's interested I'll take pictures.
    Anything that is printed on this page is purely fictional, and is in the context of an alternate virtual reality in a parallel universe. I, myself, am a fictional character! Any statements which appear to have a resemblance to real people or institutions or events, past, present or future, are unintentional and the result of pure coincidence.

Proud of my tin-foil hat - this is pride of something EARNED (I'm a self-made "nut"!) - and anything I may say should be taken in this context!

26. Post #22

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,405 Posts

About a 10 day turnaround, we'll see what comes... If they don't have the bullion, they'll just send a check.
    What, no 80% premium on the cash settlement?

Sorry, just kidding.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear the outcome. Please post final results when the deal is done.

27. Post #23

Thanks

I just sent out 10 ounces of sterling crap to Midwest this morning.

I just....I just could not part with the rest of my spoons and my last sterling dinner plate! They are all profit from past sterling scores and I just like having tangibles. Instead I just sent the last of my scrap crap.
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."- Thomas Jefferson

GIM since FEB 2007.

"Men prefer a false promise to a flat refusal"
    Quintus Cicero

28. Post #24

Thanks

I just sent 32 pieces of sterling silverware there yesterday. The knives were a pain in the ass. It took about 3 hours to do all the work (about 20 minutes a knife). It would have been much faster if I had a vise. A $2 shift in silver price is worth about $100 in value. I need the price to stay up there the next 10 days or so to maximize the return.

29. Post #25

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drpiranha View Post
    I need the price to stay up there the next 10 days or so to maximize the return.
    Just called them up to make sure they'd got my package... Said "what we get goes straight into the vault at the back of the line - a good 10 day backlog - we're working on items received the 18th - working non-stop here"...

So, yes, need to wait at least 10 days for "valuation"...

30. Post #26

Thanks

So, yes, need to wait at least 10 days for "valuation"...
    Smells a little shifty to me, what happened to 'locking in' a price?
    Hell, this way they just wait for a 'correction' or tell you they did your lot last week, depending on how the market is looking.

31. Post #27

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drpiranha View Post
    I just sent 32 pieces of sterling silverware there yesterday. The knives were a pain in the ass. It took about 3 hours to do all the work (about 20 minutes a knife). It would have been much faster if I had a vise. A $2 shift in silver price is worth about $100 in value. I need the price to stay up there the next 10 days or so to maximize the return.

There's a technique to the knives, you want to whack them with a hammer really hard and rotate them until one of the sides splits open and starts spitting clay out, then you just pound up and down the handle to crumble the clay and let it fall out the hole...

Suppose it's a bit late for that now though...

32. Post #28

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shiny View Post
    Smells a little shifty to me, what happened to 'locking in' a price?
    Hell, this way they just wait for a 'correction' or tell you they did your lot last week, depending on how the market is looking.
    That tends to be what happens. With most refiners, the settlement price is, coincidentally, the lowest spot price in the 10 day period.

33. Post #29

Gold Member
    Thanks

Wonder if they would swap scrap for junk silver? Imagine that they would have a lot more of that than .999 these days.
    The Golden rule: Those that own the gold make the rules.