Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Nationwide Coin & Bullion-THUMBS DOWN

1. Post #1

Thanks

Default Nationwide Coin & Bullion-THUMBS DOWN

So last month I placed an order for an ad found in VFW magazine for 10-1/10 oz gold eagles with this company. The price was good--about spot or just above at the time. However, I have not received any coins nor has my card been charged. I called them today to inquire about my order and was told that they sold out so they cannot fill my order. W....T....F!!!! OK, so what happened to a verbal contract based on an order being placed??? Screw 'em......in fact I think I'm done with ANY dealer that I cannot place a live order online and lock in the price and have some written evidence to back it up.
    It might well be said that, while the free market bends over backwards to serve the needs and desires of individuals, the state merely bends individuals over backwards.

2. Post #2

Thanks
    Thanked 5,866 Times in 2,944 Posts

Default Re: Nationwide Coin & Bullion-THUMBS DOWN

I placed an order as well. It never showed up on my credit card. The salesman wanted to up sell me to some gold Olympic coin, he said the 1/10 OZT AGE 'was like a dime' 'nobody would want something like that'.
    He was like a bad used car salesman. I have written a letter to the VFW about this firm, and the bait and switch tactics. Hopefully they will not be allowed to advertise in the VFW magazine again.

3. Post #3

Thanks

Yeah they tried to up sell me also. I listened and considered it and might have jumped as I was buying some other stuff at that time, but I just found better deals elsewhere. That and being this was my first time dealing with this outfit I didn't want to place too large of an order. It seems that was sound logic. I just don't understand how you cannot have a system in place to know in real time what inventory is available so that you don't oversell it. Although who knows...perhaps they "allocated" their stock to the buyers that purchased their other products as well. Either way it stinks and is bad business. If they made an honest mistake, then PAY FOR IT. That's what we have to do in my business. Sometimes it sucks, but you honor your commitments. If the mint wasn't making them anymore then I might understand, but they did not even give me the option to wait until they get in another order and agree to honor it at the same price or lower in the event the price fell.
    It might well be said that, while the free market bends over backwards to serve the needs and desires of individuals, the state merely bends individuals over backwards.

4. Post #4

Thanks
    Thanked 5,866 Times in 2,944 Posts

It is more likely they are doing what is called a 'bait and switch' operation. Sears was taken down by the FTC years ago in Chicago for the same thing. They would advertise a TV or a stereo for a low price. The customer would come in to buy it, the salesman's job was to NOT sell you the item you came for, but switch you to a higher profit item. This company appears to be operating the same way, with the caveat that they are in poor control of their inventory, and it seems they have no intent to produce the product they advertised.
    When the guy tried to up sell me, I was not rude, I listened and then told him I wanted to see how a small purchase went with his firm before I spent more.
    It tells much that they handled the small purchase so poorly. I was never contacted in any way about the order.
    This is a borderline criminal operation.

5. Post #5

Found a way in
    Thanks

Unfortunately, I leaped before I looked when responding to a magazine ad from Nationwide Coin & Bullion Reserve for 1/10 oz. gold eagles. I wanted to order ten of them but the rep. immediately began telling me how small they were but he would sell me instead a "much larger and more desirable" coin for a reduced price. When pressed for details, it turned out that this "much larger and more desirable" coin was a modern $10.00 eagle. At the price he quoted, that would have made gold over $7.000 per oz. I declined his generous offer. A few days later, I was informed that they were out of 1/10 oz'ers but would substitute something else. Again, I declined and told them to cancel the entire order. In the future, I will do research before before risking a sizeable amount of money.

6. Post #6

Thanks

Dealt with them before and they started to give me problems saying that the ad was not good anymore, all the while the magazine was actually for that very same month. I threatened to report them to the BBB and they turned around and honored my order. They even went as far to say I was trying to extort them. Very rude people but in the end I got my stuff...I think about 10 days later, all 2011 1/10 oz

The key word is BBB, they seem to be quite scared when you threaten to report them
    Buffoon #4