Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Silver use in solar panels

1. Post #1

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 1,604 Posts

Default Silver use in solar panels

Seems the average solar panel uses about 2/3 of a troy ounce of silver each. While estimates ( in the article ) seem to vary all over the place as to eventual use ( thin film technology, for example, doesn't use much ), all seem to agree over the last couple years, the use is up a LOT.

By Allen Sykora of Kitco News
    (Kitco News) - The sun is adding some shine to the silver market. One of the growing industrial uses for silver is photovoltaic cells in solar panels as the world seeks alternative forms of energy, metal consultancies said. There has been a jump in such demand in recent years, and analysts said millions more ounces of silver may be consumed for this over the next decade.

“Solar panels will probably be one of the leading industrial uses,” said Jessica Cross, CEO of VM Group.

Rest of the article:

HERE
    "Fiat money is the child of the arrogance of human intellect, which has sought to invalidate the laws of human nature which have regarded the precious metals as money for thousands of years, and sought to substitute an intellectual construct for the real thing. Now we are going to pay for that arrogance." Hugo Salinas Price

2. Post #2

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Default Re: Silver use in solar panels

2/3 toz per panel is feasible, though you have to know how big a "panel" is to determine how much is used.

Thin film panels vary a lot based on technology, but are probably around 1/8 to 3/16 toz per square foot. Some technologies use none.

3. Post #3

Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 601 Posts

I have always loved the idea of solar energy, but I hate the way it is being promoted through government grants.
    A local business has received millions of bucks to install a solar farm.

That aside, & I don't want to hijack the thread, but I live in an area where occasionally an errant bullet makes a hole in road signs & mailboxes. Or a Friday night car full of teens targets car windows with pellet guns.

If someone uses a solar panel for target practice, does it interrupt power output? If so, for the whole array, or just one panel?
    Is the shot panel repairable, or is it toast?

4. Post #4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 612 Posts

In your area, I'd suggest a protective layer of ultra clear glass over the top.
    And this is why I'm a monarchist ... the public is just too damn stupid to be allowed to control the country

5. Post #5

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 1,604 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by glockngold View Post

If someone uses a solar panel for target practice, does it interrupt power output? If so, for the whole array, or just one panel?
    Is the shot panel repairable, or is it toast?
    Most panels have bypass circuits so if a section is shaded ( or damaged ), power will still flow, though at a reduced rate. The problem would be IF the glass is damaged, water would likely destroy the panel in a short time.

To damage one with a pellet rifle would be nearly impossible unless you were standing right over the top of it.....the glass in them is pretty stout. I wouldn't be surprised for one to take a glancing blow from a high powered rifle and not be damaged......though I have no intent of testing that theory.
    "Fiat money is the child of the arrogance of human intellect, which has sought to invalidate the laws of human nature which have regarded the precious metals as money for thousands of years, and sought to substitute an intellectual construct for the real thing. Now we are going to pay for that arrogance." Hugo Salinas Price

6. Post #6

Thanks
    Thanked 3,214 Times in 1,629 Posts

IIRC, Unisolar makes amorphous coated metal and laminate panels for roofing that would still work even with bullet holes.

R.
    "Walk the gold trails of my good friend, do I. On my feet are "strong sole" of thick leather, purchased with much knowledge of physical gold. These shoes not go bare before our journey is done. On trail I see your "thin sole" gold investments cast aside and scavenged by beasts." - ANOTHER (THOUGHTS!) (04/14/01; 18:08:54MT - #: 51887)

Personal best on calm water: SAE - 32 skips. GAE - 21 skips.

7. Post #7

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Unisolar, powerfilm, Fuji, and another Dutch company I can't remember all make modules which could be shot and still function. However, as was said these modules would quickly die from water damage after being punctured.

Amorphous and poly silicon in glass will also still funtion if the glass is broken by a bullet or a rock, but will also die.

Mono silicon will not function if a cell is shot or broken.