Does anyone know how to safely re-energize a dead generator?
I have an old brush type coleman generator. This is from 2000 or so and has about 4 hrs total on it. I received it from a family member who moved out of his home to a retirement type apartment complex. The generator was bought for y2k and had not been run since... but the gas was still in it.
I managed to get the motor running rather nicely, but it is producing no power. Checked the brushes and wiring, all looks good.
I know these types of genheads have a tendency to demagnetize and must be re-energized in order to work. The internet recipes i have found involve hooking the thing to household current while it is running utilzing a double male cord... I would rather NOT to try this if I can find a better way.
I have heard reference to a way to accomplish using 2 d cell batts directly to the brushes... sounds better than 120v house current.
Can anyone elaborate?