Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: What can I store in the garage?

1. Post #1

Getting Acclimated Prospector
    Thanks

Default What can I store in the garage?

I'd like to start stocking up on supplies but don't really have the space in our house. What space (pantry, closet) we do have is reserved for canned food rice, etc. What food/nonfood items can I safely store for a couple years in our garage (lots of room there). I assume laundry detergent, clothes, combs etc. What else?

BTW I live in central Texas so it's pretty darn hot here especially the garage.

2. Post #2

Thanks
    Thanked 6,481 Times in 3,140 Posts

Default Re: What can I store in the garage?

Why not start with what things you would LIKE to store? Are there specific items you are looking to get plentiful supplies of? How much prepping have you done thus far and what important items are left to acquire?
    Truthfulness - Benevolence - Forbearance

3. Post #3

Thanks

Motor oil, dental floss, bicycle, bar soap, garden hoe, bic lighters, car tires, canning jars, quiver of arrows, heavy duty garbage bags----------------
    Don't store stuff affected by heat, cold, and possibly high humidity: ice cubes, rice, carrots, mice

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhyKnow For This Useful Post:

GodspeedMetals (08-24-2011), Nickelless (09-08-2011)

5. Post #4

Silver Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dwildcat View Post
    I'd like to start stocking up on supplies but don't really have the space in our house. What space (pantry, closet) we do have is reserved for canned food rice, etc. What food/nonfood items can I safely store for a couple years in our garage (lots of room there). I assume laundry detergent, clothes, combs etc. What else?

start by spending a little money on some insulation for the garage and put in a small air conditioner then you can store any and everything.
    if you're short of money, hit some construction sites and ask to raid their dumpsters

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldie40 For This Useful Post:

GodspeedMetals (08-24-2011), Not Sure (08-25-2011)

7. Post #5

Thanks

For starters, I've recently gutted out much of my condo with stuff I don't need. And I installed wall shelves (about 16!) along the bare walls and took out the free-standing bookshelves that were cluttering my place. This way, you have more floorspace to work/store with.

Then I installed a neat shelving system in my walk-in closet to store my preps / water.

Once you've cleaned out most of your home, you'll have a large pile of things you can live without (or at least not with you in the home) - then you can store most of that stuff in the garage.

Long Only Physicals

"Love thy Farmer"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GodspeedMetals For This Useful Post:

Merkin (09-24-2011), WhyKnow (08-24-2011)

9. Post #6

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner spacecase0's Avatar
    Thanks

I keep things that I would not mind getting stolen.
    extra jack stands, used oil, ect...

10. Post #7

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 820 Posts

http://www.grandpappy.info/hshelff.htm

Heat seriously shortens the shelf life of food.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Book For This Useful Post:

Nickelless (08-25-2011), Not Sure (08-25-2011)

12. Post #8

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner Armed.peasant's Avatar
    Thanks

To me it is worth it to give up a room inside the house such as a bedroom and use that room for storage. I know that may not be something everyone can do, but that is what I have done. I think its more important to have a room full of food, ammo, and paper goods than an extra guest room.

If you line the walls with shelves its amazing how much you can store in a bedroom.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armed.peasant For This Useful Post:

Merkin (09-24-2011), Silvergun (10-26-2011)

14. Post #9

Thanks
    Thanked 1,873 Times in 1,089 Posts

Super ditto what AP says.
    +- 50 plus 5 gallons and counting...

15. Post #10

Thanks
    Thanked 6,481 Times in 3,140 Posts

You using pails with lids? Bottles? Bleach in the water?
    Truthfulness - Benevolence - Forbearance

16. Post #11

Digging for nuggets of knowledge Sampson's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 369 Posts

You could probably store just about anything that would be unaffected by the heat i would guess. Tools, building supplies, Tp of course, extra clothes and fabric, EMP boxes with electronics, guns and ammo if secure, pretty much anything not food related.

As far as water storage i will parrot the suggestion about storing water purification means rather than a massive amount of water. While i do store about 100 gallons of water i would never recommend storing water for any length of time in any type of plastic container, especially if it will be subject to drastic temperature change. My personal water storage container of choice is the 20 liter glass carboy that is normally used for wine and beer making. I change out the water about yearly and with no added bleach or anything it has always been as good as new when i change it out. I also store a couple steri pens, Katadyn filters, and bleach to replenish my supply if i run out and normal sources are unavailable.

Even though it takes up a fair bit of room in my basement i currently have a small insulated room in the back corner with concrete walls on two sides that stays fairly cool where i keep all my preserves, dried fruits, and cooking/baking supplies. I don't eat canned food very often any more but i have opened cans that are many years past their "best before" date that had been stored in this room and they tasted fine to me.

Sampson

17. Post #12

Thanks
    Thanked 1,873 Times in 1,089 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by newmisty View Post
    You using pails with lids? Bottles? Bleach in the water?
    No water. 5 and 6 gallon buckets of preps.
    Inside. Spare bedroom

18. Post #13

They all look good through beer goggles... CiscoKid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,392 Times in 1,116 Posts

I use my garage to store a car, a sport bike, a compressor, and a cabinet full of car care accessories.
    Ineptocracy (in-ept-o-cra-cy)a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

19. Post #14

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner Merkin's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhyKnow View Post
    Motor oil, dental floss, bicycle, bar soap, garden hoe, bic lighters, car tires, canning jars, quiver of arrows, heavy duty garbage bags----------------
    Don't store stuff affected by heat, cold, and possibly high humidity: ice cubes, rice, carrots, mice
    I live in Arizona, was parked at a shopping mall in Phoenix, had a bic lighter explode in my glove compartment, blew the gc door open and trashed my head liner and seats with shrapnel. My garage is hotter than Hades. Maybe I should move my propane tanks elsewhere. Thanks for reminding me.

20. Post #15

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,814 Posts

Hot here is Fl too, I keep extra cleaners, tp and paper towels in garage. I'm in the process of adding an extra wire rack shelve to all my inside closests for tooth paste, foods ect that could be damaged by the heat.

21. Post #16

If coffee is gold, I own Fort Knox Nickelless's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,730 Times in 1,301 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
    You could probably store just about anything that would be unaffected by the heat i would guess. Tools, building supplies, Tp of course, extra clothes and fabric, EMP boxes with electronics, guns and ammo if secure, pretty much anything not food related.
    Ammo can be affected by extreme heat, and if your garage is accessible from the outside, you run the risk of having anything inside the garage get stolen. I keep my guns stored in a few different places in the house, but never in the garage. Ditto with the ammo.
    Coffee diem: Seize Juan Valdez!