Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: How does cold affect ammo in storage?

1. Post #1

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Default How does cold affect ammo in storage?

I've heard about how large temperature swings can affect ammo by shortening its shelf life. They say you shouldn't store it in a garage for this reason. But what if those temperature swings happen only a couple times a year, and the ammo is below freezing half the time. Specifically, how would ammo be affected if it were buried underground in a moisture-tight container in a northern climate where the temperature gets well below zero at night? I'm hoping the affect wouldn't be too bad since the temperature changes slowly underground. But what about being frozen for so long?

2. Post #2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,020 Posts

Default Re: How does cold affect ammo in storage?

Cold is hard on primers. This is why many cold climate countries such as Russia still use corrosive primers, as they hold up to cold better.

However, do you really think all the armories in all the world use climate controlled storage for their ammo? I've fired ammo that was nearly 100 years old, and I find it very hard to believe it was kept from temperature extremes over it's whole life.

IOW, I don't worry about temperature's effect on ammo. I would be fine with storing it underground (don't know how deep your frostline is, but you'd probably be below it, anyway), so long as moisture wasn't an issue.
    I never left the Repubican party. The Republican party moved Left from me.

Dead Dingo's Donger Trading Group
    Barking mad hairy chested trading for real men.

3. Post #3

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Beef View Post
    IOW, I don't worry about temperature's effect on ammo. I would be fine with storing it underground (don't know how deep your frostline is, but you'd probably be below it, anyway), so long as moisture wasn't an issue.

I don't go all that deep. Maybe about 6 inches or so from the top of the container to ground level. I think the frost line is deeper. The thing is, since being underground the temperature drops and rises much slower, so I thought maybe that would help too. If it were in my garage, the temp could go over 110 in the day in the summer and then back to outside temps of 65 at night--every day. Underground, it wouldn't even get below freezing until it was well below freezing above ground for quite some time, and then would warm very slowly and evenly as Spring came.

I like the idea of having an underground reserve because there's no point in investing alot of money in alot of ammo to be used over decades if it could all get stolen in a single breakin of my home. Besides, if it won't be used for years anyway, it also won't cause an inconvenience by having it buried.

4. Post #4

Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,381 Posts

...so long as moisture wasn't an issue.
    Temperature extremes like you describe are not so bad, and as Eat Beef implied, long term exposure to moisture is the real mitigating issue.

I have fired milsurp .308 ammo that was manufactured in the 70s, and I don't even know what extremes it endured before I got it in 1999, but it was still sealed in battle packs.

I have "improperly" stored that same ammo in extremes from 140 down to 20, unsealed, with some short term exposure to moisture, and it was 100% good up to 1600 rounds.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    Peacefully engaging in "Economic Domestic Terrorism" since 2004.

If We the People fail to independently audit Fort Knox, then how will we know the amount of Tungsten backing the FRN?

5. Post #5

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 713 Posts

Gradual temp changes no problem. Sudden extremes are killers (think condensation and compression). Best all around storage conditions 55-75 degrees dark and dry. I know from my competition shooting days that cold ammo can change your POI drastically due to slower ignition and burn rate. We'd always put our "for record" ammo in our pockets to warm it on frozen morning shoots. Underground would be great storage but deeper than you are doing.

Also was bad to take ammo out of air condition gun room and subject to high temps in summer. We always carried competition ammo in igloo coolers.

Of course I'm talking about 1/4 inch group accuracy at distance as opposed to hitting big center mass target.

Tom D is the resident authority on custom loaded center fire accuracy. Maybe he'll be along with dos pesos, directly?

6. Post #6

Thanks

Cold is hard on primers. This is why many cold climate countries such as Russia still use corrosive primers, as they hold up to cold better.

However, do you really think all the armories in all the world use climate controlled storage for their ammo? I've fired ammo that was nearly 100 years old, and I find it very hard to believe it was kept from temperature extremes over it's whole life.

I don't want to but, I must disagree. In my experience... I bought a case of 7.62x39 in a wooden box. Simply stated, after a decade of temperature changes the ammo went from 100% reliability to (I'm guessing here) about 90%. The caveat was that mine was never underground and experienced everything from garage conditions to climate control.
    If some azzhole claims to be from Nevada but doesn't know what a cattle guard is then that person becomes a known liar.

7. Post #7

Thanks

Just cracked a spam can of Chi-Com black tip 7.62x39 that was manufactured in `72 and has been underground since `02. (A friend of mine made a good offer for 500 rounds.) 75 went into a drum to show him what AP means and the rest filled a couple of panic mags. The drum went downrange in an impressive fashion.
    "To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory."

Buffoon #5

8. Post #8

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ErrosionOfAccord View Post
    I don't want to but, I must disagree. In my experience... I bought a case of 7.62x39 in a wooden box. Simply stated, after a decade of temperature changes the ammo went from 100% reliability to (I'm guessing here) about 90%. The caveat was that mine was never underground and experienced everything from garage conditions to climate control.
    What do you think got it, hot or cold? I'm guessing you were in a cold place?

Could you rule out moisture? What about light primer strikes or some other problem with the rifle? What went bad, primers or powder? Both? Would they fire on a second try?
    I never left the Repubican party. The Republican party moved Left from me.

Dead Dingo's Donger Trading Group
    Barking mad hairy chested trading for real men.

9. Post #9

Thanks

The firearm is fine. I live in the high desert so it may have been cold or heat but I doubt it was moisture. Primers went bad, no squibs and I did try to fire them again. It was Russian stuff and came in a generic white box of 20 rounds. As I said earlier, no spam can, just a wooden crate that held 1000 rounds.
    If some azzhole claims to be from Nevada but doesn't know what a cattle guard is then that person becomes a known liar.

10. Post #10

Thanks
    Thanked 4,657 Times in 1,785 Posts

From an accuracy standpoint, temperature is an important variable because it causes the pressure of the load to vary significantly. Benchrest shooters have to change their load during a match as the temps change. As to the effect of cold on primer reliability, I'm not sure that there is one answer because a fair number of different compounds have been used as the explosive agent in primers and each compound has it's own properties. I would think that military ammo would have primers that were reliable after all sorts of storage situations and time frames. I've recently shot WWII surplus 30-06 ball ammo with no problems at all.
    Oppressing everyone to avoid oppressing anyone is the egalitarian ethos gone mad.- Daniel Greenfield

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. -C.S. Lewis

The home of the brave came before the land of the free.

11. Post #11

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 895 Posts

I recently was cleaning out old ammo....shot 30-40yr old 12ga in plastic hulls no missfires...no issues...garage stored......that being said my new stuff is climate controlled stored

12. Post #12

Thanks
    Thanked 1,040 Times in 606 Posts

So ... would you say load it into a gamma pail with O2 absorbers and bury that?
    And this is why I'm a monarchist ... the public is just too damn stupid to be allowed to control the country

13. Post #13

Thanks
    Thanked 4,657 Times in 1,785 Posts

Little known fact: The 40mm guns used on AC130 gunships are the WWII vintage weapons that you see shooting at Japanese kamikazes in the History Chanel. The exact same weapons matter of fact, stripped off the warships and stored when the ships were decommissioned. 40mm Bofors ammo hasn't been manufactured since WWII and all now being used has been stored now at least 66 years since the war ended, and stored in non-conditioned storage areas. Seems to work well enough.
    Oppressing everyone to avoid oppressing anyone is the egalitarian ethos gone mad.- Daniel Greenfield

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. -C.S. Lewis

The home of the brave came before the land of the free.