Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: APMEX removes 2012 1 oz Dragons

1. Post #1

Thanks

Default APMEX removes 2012 1 oz Dragons

APMEX used to have a placeholder for the 1 oz Dragons and the placeholder is now gone which seems to indicate that they will not be selling 1 oz Dragons.The 1 oz proof placeholder is still there and the other bullion coins placeholders (1/2 oz, 2 oz, 5, 10 , etc) is still there.

They will either be sold graded by APMEX or no sale at all. The ship has sailed on this if the above is true. Me thinks i should hold with a tight grip my roll of 20.

Still got another 3 singles if anyone is interested $145 shipped to your door
    Buffoon #4

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rodzm For This Useful Post:

HistoryStudent (09-19-2011)

3. Post #2

Thanks
    Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,865 Posts

Default Re: APMEX removes 2012 1 oz Dragons

Quote Originally Posted by rodzm View Post
    APMEX used to have a placeholder for the 1 oz Dragons and the placeholder is now gone which seems to indicate that they will not be selling 1 oz Dragons.The 1 oz proof placeholder is still there and the other bullion coins placeholders (1/2 oz, 2 oz, 5, 10 , etc) is still there.

They will either be sold graded by APMEX or no sale at all. The ship has sailed on this if the above is true. Me thinks i should hold with a tight grip my roll of 20.

Who knows how true but the rumor was that a CHINESE fellow grabbed a huge percentage of the entire mint.

That perhaps plus a small mintage - was how supply and demand works = shortage.
    Be careful out there; IT is a jungle.

4. Post #3

Thanks

Who knows how true but the rumor was that a CHINESE fellow grabbed a huge percentage of the entire mint.

That perhaps plus a small mintage - was how supply and demand works = shortage.

MCM has four sizes of GOLD ones: here's the best size now...

http://moderncoinmart.com/cart1/prod...1&cat=0&page=1

5. Post #4

Deep Sixed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,328 Times in 7,482 Posts

It's obvious the entire freaking world is out of silver and cannot make coins anymore.~~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Irons For This Useful Post:

rodzm (09-19-2011)

7. Post #5

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irons View Post
    It's obvious the entire freaking world is out of silver and cannot make coins anymore.~~
    And these Dragons are called bullion...it truly is a joke. The Perth Mint should just consider these numis and not label them as bullion.
    Buffoon #4

8. Post #6

Deep Sixed
    Thanks

And these Dragons are called bullion...it truly is a joke. The Perth Mint should just consider these numis and not label them as bullion.
    I agree, I have (had, ) some Aussie gold and some Kooks and they are all beautiful, pretty much proofs.

I stopped buying them when they got so popular folks got used to paying ridiculous premiums for them. Phooey!

9. Post #7

Thanks

Hmm...looks like the placeholder is back on at APMEX
    Buffoon #4

10. Post #8

Thanks

MY golden DRAGONS (plural) shipped today from MCM.

Have them tomorrow - the GOOD LORD WILLING.

And those tongue-in-cheek remarks about the SILVER running out just may turn out
    to be shortly true.

Although, I realize that the GOLD lovers just love to take jabs at her poor beautiful cousin - SILVER.

Someday, mark my words, there will be a reckoning when the supply and demand fundamentals
    actually produce the PEAK silver supply default.

Don't hold your breath however - it takes time for the TPTB to be put to rest with their power to print
    and place FAKE shorts on the FAKE exchanges made by FAKE brokers - they do.

Soon however you'll see SILVER BULL break down the price fence at $55 on the way for a DOUBLING!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HistoryStudent For This Useful Post:

lightcycler (09-19-2011)

12. Post #9

Thanks
    Thanked 4,580 Times in 1,769 Posts

When I read the thread title and first post, I was seriously pissed and was ringing through to Apmex to give someone hell when I saw the 1 oz BU's were still there(or there again).

This whole thing is getting too quirky, never seen a coin intro like it. Well maybe I have, the 2006 Anniversary Silver Eagle set. That was chaos.

I've got 100 of the 1 oz BU's "reserved" but I think the probability of me ending up with that many isn't high. With the mania surrounding the dragons, I almost guarantee that there will be rationing. Otherwise a few someones will buy the whole issue. I'll be it is limited to 10 or 20.

And then there is the issue of what will be the offering price. Currently you can buy 1 oz Kooks or Koalas for $47 from Apmex, or even series 2 Lunar Mouse coins for about the same. In the past, the new issue Lunars would have been priced the same. I think the mania has reached such a pitch that the dragon price will spike hard until the supply has a chance to get out and then level out lower. If Apmex does the initial offering at the spike price, I'm going to wait it out.

There is an Australian PM site called Silver Stackers where quite a number of the posters are dealers, some large. Here's one Australian Dealers take on the CURRENT" real valuation of the dragon

"Aurora et luna wrote:
    I am sorry to say this but anyone who is prepared to pay more for the 1oz Dragon than a 2oz Dragon has soup for brains.
    99% of you guys won't be starting a lunar set so why don't you just get twice the silver for the same price or less; I am sure in the long run a 2oz Dragon will give you a better return.
    1oz Dragon at present has $40 of silver and $50-$60 worth of collector's premium
    2oz Dragon at present has $80 of silver and $15 worth of collector's premium
    When spot doubles, a 1oz Dragon will have $80 of silver and maybe up to $80 in its collector's premium. Whereas the 2oz Dragon will have $160 worth of silver as well as a collector's premium which will definitely be higher than $15"

I bought fairly heavily into 2 oz, 5's and 10's dragons a few weeks back, hope to eventually see them. I really hope I can get my "reserved" 100 1 oz BU at around $47 but I really hope to win the lottery too; chances of each are about equal.

Last edited by TomD; 09-19-2011 at 07:44 PM.
    Oppressing everyone to avoid oppressing anyone is the egalitarian ethos gone mad.- Daniel Greenfield

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. -C.S. Lewis

The home of the brave came before the land of the free.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomD For This Useful Post:

HistoryStudent (09-19-2011), newmisty (09-21-2011), Oldmansmith (09-19-2011)

14. Post #10

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,661 Posts

Hmm...looks like the placeholder is back on at APMEX
    I was on chat with them Friday, said they hoped the dragons arrived by months end.

15. Post #11

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner booty's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    I've got 100 of the 1 oz BU's "reserved" but I think the probability of me ending up with that many isn't high. With the mania surrounding the dragons, I almost guarantee that there will be rationing. Otherwise a few someones will buy the whole issue. I'll be it is limited to 10 or 20.
    Same as you I was planning on buying 100+ and now am hoping that I can get 10 or 20 at a price under $60.
    I will only buy a few for sets if I have to pay more than that.
    I will keep buying the 10 and 2oz sizes for sure.
    Nice Pics!

16. Post #12

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,661 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    When I read the thread title and first post, I was seriously pissed and was ringing through to Apmex to give someone hell when I saw the 1 oz BU's were still there(or there again).

This whole thing is getting too quirky, never seen a coin intro like it. Well maybe I have, the 2006 Anniversary Silver Eagle set. That was chaos.

And then there is the issue of what will be the offering price. Currently you can buy 1 oz Kooks or Koalas for $47 from Apmex, or even series 2 Lunar Mouse coins for about the same. In the past, the new issue Lunars would have been priced the same. I think the mania has reached such a pitch that the dragon price will spike hard until the supply has a chance to get out and then level out lower. If Apmex does the initial offering at the spike price, I'm going to wait it out.

There is an Australian PM site called Silver Stackers where quite a number of the posters are dealers, some large. Here's one Australian Dealers take on the CURRENT" real valuation of the dragon

"Aurora et luna wrote:
    I am sorry to say this but anyone who is prepared to pay more for the 1oz Dragon than a 2oz Dragon has soup for brains.
    99% of you guys won't be starting a lunar set so why don't you just get twice the silver for the same price or less; I am sure in the long run a 2oz Dragon will give you a better return.
    1oz Dragon at present has $40 of silver and $50-$60 worth of collector's premium
    2oz Dragon at present has $80 of silver and $15 worth of collector's premium
    When spot doubles, a 1oz Dragon will have $80 of silver and maybe up to $80 in its collector's premium. Whereas the 2oz Dragon will have $160 worth of silver as well as a collector's premium which will definitely be higher than $15"

I bought fairly heavily into 2 oz, 5's and 10's dragons a few weeks back, hope to eventually see them. I really hope I can get my "reserved" 100 1 oz BU at around $47 but I really hope to win the lottery too; chances of each are about equal.

Did you get them from Apmex, I never saw them up and check hourly.

17. Post #13

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner booty's Avatar
    Thanks

Gold 1oz dragons available at APMEX. Limit of one only for those who used the alert me tab.
    This may be why the silver 1oz tab has been removed. They wanted to stop more people from signing up.
    They will probably do the same thing with the silver 1oz release but limit it to 10 per customer is my guess. Maybe only 5!

18. Post #14

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner AU+AG=Bacon's Avatar
    Thanks

I just ordered from apmex. One each of the 1oz Gold and Silver dragons. It limited me to one of each coin. Good luck everyone.

Bacon

19. Post #15

Thanks
    Thanked 3,686 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AU+AG=Bacon View Post
    I just ordered from apmex. One each of the 1oz Gold and Silver dragons. It limited me to one of each coin. Good luck everyone.

Bacon
    I just went there and the silver coins aren't up. WTF?

20. Post #16

Thanks
    Thanked 6,478 Times in 3,138 Posts

Bacon
    Say what? Thay ain't got no one ounce silver dragons, do they!?! I see the proof listed with an OUT OF STOCK icon on it...
    Truthfulness - Benevolence - Forbearance

21. Post #17

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newmisty View Post
    Say what? Thay ain't got no one ounce silver dragons, do they!?! I see the proof listed with an OUT OF STOCK icon on it...
    http://www.goldismoney2.com/showthre...-sale-at-Apmex
    I'm getting pissed off (again) at APMEX. I'm a gold member and have an "alert me" on the one ounce silver proof and the three coin proof set, but got through on the phone and they won't sell me a single measly non-proof for 60 bucks over spot.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Oldmansmith For This Useful Post:

newmisty (09-21-2011)

23. Post #18

Thanks

Here is the silver dragon link.

http://www.apmex.com/Product/62665/2...oin_Oct_4.aspx

Bacon

24. The Following User Says Thank You to AU+AG=Bacon For This Useful Post:

newmisty (09-21-2011)

25. Post #19

Thanks

Here is the silver dragon link.

Bacon
    Thanks bacon, but denied on the phone and on the website?

Denied. Gold member and all.

How about they hold the popcorn and let their gold members order things that they have in stock?

I'm going to have (another) drink.

26. Post #20

Thanks
    Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,017 Posts

Just ordered mine. First time I've paid more than $5.00 over spot, even for Chinese Pandas. Hope I don't regret this, but got to take a chance sometime. Still, $60 over spot

27. Post #21

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmansmith View Post
    I'm getting pissed off (again) at APMEX. I'm a gold member and have an "alert me" on the one ounce silver proof and the three coin proof set, but got through on the phone and they won't sell me a single measly non-proof for 60 bucks over spot.
    Gainesville has the 1oz silver bullion dragon listed for $118.........1000 coin limit....LOL
    Last edited by silverbusa; 09-21-2011 at 06:47 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to silverbusa For This Useful Post:

ChoiceBU (09-22-2011)

29. Post #22

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverbusa View Post
    Gainesville has the 1oz silver bullion dragon listed for $118
    You got a linky? I don't see it.

30. Post #23

Thanks
    Thanked 6,772 Times in 3,107 Posts

1oz dragons are up at Apmex for $100ea.

31. Post #24

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpthnsolo View Post

1oz dragons are up at Apmex for $100ea.
    Only if you have an "alert me." Otherwise, you might as well be ordering Unobtanium.

32. Post #25

Thanks

You got a linky? I don't see it.
    http://www.gainesvillecoins.com/prod...agon-coin.aspx

Bacon

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AU+AG=Bacon For This Useful Post:

ChoiceBU (09-22-2011), newmisty (09-21-2011), Oldmansmith (09-21-2011)

34. Post #26

Silver Member
    Thanks

Limited release? ----> Rare
    Very popular? ----> Hyped

Owners should make a greeting sign like those with cool cars, that way if someone else owns it, they can sign you back....if not, they can bash your head in and swipe it.

Here is an example:

http://www.signingsavvy.com/sign/DRAGON/5294/1

35. Post #27

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by southfork View Post
    Did you get them from Apmex, I never saw them up and check hourly.
    Yeah, the 1/2, 2, 5, 10 oz & kilo were listed on Apmex on Aug 25 and stayed up for 3-4 days. All sizes sold for right at $50 an oz. Tell you the truth, I'd rather have a 2 oz than a 1 oz for the same price. Talk about no brainers. I bought a 1 oz today but it pissed me off.
    Oppressing everyone to avoid oppressing anyone is the egalitarian ethos gone mad.- Daniel Greenfield

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomD For This Useful Post:

newmisty (09-21-2011), samwiii (09-21-2011)

37. Post #28

Thanks

A while after I posted I got a text message from my alert me then checked my email and linked in that way. I too could only order one. Didn't know if it was because I only requested an alert me for 1 or otherwise.

I'm not impressed with the premiums they put on, wasn't expecting that much. All things considered I got one along with a 1/10 AU Proof and am happy for that but not happy about the shenanigans going on at the various MINT's and their VENDORS.

38. Post #29

Thanks

I feel a bit like a buffalo following the herd over the cliff........oh well.........all for one and one for all.

39. Post #30

Thanks

Thanks Bacon, I ordered one. Don't know why I couldn't get there on the site.

Bought a cougar as well since i was going to buy it from A*&$%

40. Post #31

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 505 Posts

I feel for you folks that have been eagerly awaiting this issue and have to deal with the rediculous premiums and other shenanigans. Why doesn't the Perth Mint just crank up the production...are they that limited in production capability so that they need to put mintage limits on everything? Supply and demand is obviously not working here.

Anyway, you always have the ability to shop around and just say no if the prices are not to your liking. Good luck to you folks who want these coins.

41. Post #32

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner graspAU's Avatar
    Thanks

Got the email. The premium at $100 per ounce is too rich for my blood on the 1oz silver dragon. I picked up a couple of the silver kilo dragons that worked out to about $46 an ounce, and that will have to be enough.
    "On the other hand, if you're very safety conscious, you hold on to your gold bars"
    -Evelyn De Rothschild, December 10, 2008. CNBC Interview

42. Post #33

Thanks

Thanks Bacon, I ordered one. Don't know why I couldn't get there on the site.

Bought a cougar as well since i was going to buy it from A*&$%
    I did the same thing and added 3 Cougars to get closer to the $250 shipping threshold. If I'm going to get r@ped, I might as well enjoy it.

43. Post #34

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pyramid View Post
    Why doesn't the Perth Mint just crank up the production...are they that limited in production capability so that they need to put mintage limits on everything? Supply and demand is obviously not working here.
    The Perth Mint is a national mint and under the law that originated the series, production of the 1 oz coins is limited; 300,000 silver and 30,000 gold. There are no quantity limits under law on the other sizes though the Perth Mint has been known to make some quirky decisions.

44. Post #35

Silver Art Bar collector Silver Art's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 995 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pyramid View Post
    I feel for you folks that have been eagerly awaiting this issue and have to deal with the rediculous premiums and other shenanigans. Why doesn't the Perth Mint just crank up the production...are they that limited in production capability so that they need to put mintage limits on everything? Supply and demand is obviously not working here.

Anyway, you always have the ability to shop around and just say no if the prices are not to your liking. Good luck to you folks who want these coins.
    In my case, I will just say no to the 2012 Dragon. My wallet cannot handle the current price of 1-oz silver 2012 Dragon, however, I will continue to look at/fondle my 1/2-oz silver 2000 Dragon.
    Last edited by Silver Art; 09-21-2011 at 09:49 PM. Reason: wording; added words
    ATTENTION! Read this very carefully: My gut feeling on silver is just that.......A gut feeling. I have absolutely nothing to back it up with.

DISCLAIMER: I am a silver art bar "hoor" but I am not really a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.

When I am not at work earning FRN's, I am at home earning Bitcoin. When I am sleeping, I am earning a Bitcoin dividend from Prypto.

I am the poster that is formally known as OutlawJoseyWalesJr on GIM1.

45. Post #36

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samwiii View Post
    I did the same thing and added 3 Cougars to get closer to the $250 shipping threshold. If I'm going to get r@ped, I might as well enjoy it.
    With what's happening with silver today after my purchase yesterday, I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would.

46. Post #37

Silver Member
    Thanks

I feel a bit like a buffalo following the herd over the cliff........oh well.........all for one and one for all.
    Same here. Have a gold proof and 2 silver dragons on order, kilo and now the 1 ounce. Never even heard of these before the forum threads, ha! But must say, at least there is some excitement to it. ATB Gettysburg P on sale today, ho hum, no thanks

47. Post #38

Deep Sixed
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samwiii View Post
    With what's happening with silver today after my purchase yesterday, I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would.
    See siggy line.............

48. Post #39

Silver Member
    Thanks

If these dragons are as cool in hand as in the pics, they should hold value for collectors(but I would not be buying multiple one ouncers to flip at these prices).

49. Post #40

Silver Member
    Thanks

Gainesville has the 1oz silver bullion dragon listed for $118.........1000 coin limit....LOL
    Interesting, I bought a GC 1 oz dragon for 118 credit card price on 22nd, today it's 121, up 3 bucks after silver tanked! But you can get 750 of 'em if you want... BTW, enter coupon code NIAUS gets $5 off shipping.

50. Post #41

Thanks

I bought one from GC for my one month old daughter at the lower price. Even that was painful....

51. Post #42

Thanks

I bought one from GC for my one month old daughter at the lower price. Even that was painful....
    Hope she grows up soon so MRS. OMS can buy some clothes and things for the money she'll be saving
    in NOT buying the latest PM fad, right?

Just kidding.

By the way I wonder what this Wednesday/Thursday price changes will bring at the MINT
    especially come December 1st, and the SPOUSE Garfield?

Watch the 2011 W one ounce AGE UNC too.

If they keep the total numbers under 10,000 that might be interesting.

I'd have to run the entire W and the bullion numbers however for the ONE OUNCE GOLD AMERICAN EAGLES - to double check.

These DRAGONS have been hit hard by a few Chinese who probably WILL BE playing the buy and sell game.

As many do herein. They have to make a living somehow I believe. Better then the futures and commodities markets - that's deadly to the
    annual gross take-home pay.

52. Post #43

Thanks

I think that the 201 W is not worth the premium IMHO. I'll be buying the anniversary set and will get one as a result.

53. The Following User Says Thank You to Oldmansmith For This Useful Post:

samwiii (09-25-2011)

54. Post #44

Thanks
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 856 Posts

fyi

you can get a Lunar today for less than the spot price was last week:

http://www.apmex.com/Product/28828/2..._Series_2.aspx

2008 Year of the Mouse - 1 oz Silver Coin (Series 2)

Qty Check or Wire Credit Card
    1 - 19 $38.56 $39.72
    20 - 99 $37.56 $38.69
    100 or more $36.56 $37.66
    Anything that is printed on this page is purely fictional, and is in the context of an alternate virtual reality in a parallel universe. I, myself, am a fictional character! Any statements which appear to have a resemblance to real people or institutions or events, past, present or future, are unintentional and the result of pure coincidence.

Proud of my tin-foil hat - this is pride of something EARNED (I'm a self-made "nut"!) - and anything I may say should be taken in this context!

55. The Following User Says Thank You to dacrunch For This Useful Post:

Solo (09-25-2011)

56. Post #45

Thanks

I think that the 201 W is not worth the premium IMHO. I'll be buying the anniversary set and will get one as a result.
    Wouldn't mind silver spot staying put until after these come out. Would like to get an anniversary set at a reasonable price.

57. Post #46

Thanks

With the mint. I doubt spot will have much to do with what they release the anniversary sets at.

58. The Following User Says Thank You to vintage collector For This Useful Post:

newmisty (09-26-2011)

59. Post #47

Thanks

lol, sad but true.