Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Moody's cuts BofA, Wells Fargo and Citi ratings

1. Post #1

Thanks
    Thanked 6,481 Times in 3,140 Posts

Default Moody's cuts BofA, Wells Fargo and Citi ratings

Moody's cuts BofA, Wells Fargo and Citi ratings

On Wednesday September 21, 2011, 2:14 pm EDT

NEW YORK (AP) -- Moody's Investors Service lowered the debt ratings for Bank of America Corp., Wells Fargo & Co. and Citigroup Inc., saying it is now less likely that the U.S. government would step in and prevent the lenders from failing in a crisis.

The ratings firm said Wednesday that it believes the government is likely to provide some level of support for financial institutions, but is also more likely now than during the 2008 financial crisis to allow a large bank to fail should it become financially troubled.

The downgrades were widely expected after the three banks were placed on review by the ratings agency in June. They also stem partly from new laws that went into effect under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform Act that was passed last year. The new law ended the possibility of the government bailing out a large financial firm and creates a way to liquidate failed financials.

Bank of America was the worst hit -- with a two-notch downgrade in its key long-term debt ratings to Baa1 from A2. Wells Fargo's long-term debt was downgraded by one notch to A2 from A1, while Citigroup's rating remained the same at A3. However, Moody's downgraded Citi's short-term debt.

Moody's also downgraded the rating on both Bank of America and Wells Fargo for deposits.

All of the ratings are investment grade.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Moodys...39162.html?x=0
    Truthfulness - Benevolence - Forbearance

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to newmisty For This Useful Post:

Eyebone (09-21-2011), REO 54 (09-21-2011)

3. Post #2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,445 Times in 872 Posts

Default Re: Moody's cuts BofA, Wells Fargo and Citi ratings

Moody's is really going out on a limb here. I guess they figure that risk has increased since our allegedly capitalist goobermint will draw the line at only one multi-billion dollar corporate bailout per company. I wonder if there's a "too big to fail" time limit and each company can shoot themselves in the foot and get a tax payer supported "do-over" only once every 10 yrs or so. Sorry guys we looted honest Americans to pay for your last self inflicted collapse...you're now off the too big to fail list until 2018...at which time you may fail and we'll again rob everyone to pay your executives' boats off.

4. Post #3

They all look good through beer goggles... CiscoKid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,392 Times in 1,116 Posts

I don't know if this was justified or not, but I have been looking for an excuse to quit B of A for a while now. The fact that they were giving credit to illegals galled me but I was too lazy to make the change. When they accepted bailout money I wanted to switch but was too lazy to do it (I'm busy, O.K?). I currently bank with three banks - M&T, PNC, and B of A. Tomorrow, I will make the move to open a fourth account and transfer all my B of A assets over to the new bank. Thinking of going with a small, no-name, hometown bank this time. Smurf B of A.
    Ineptocracy (in-ept-o-cra-cy)a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

5. Post #4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,445 Times in 872 Posts

Member owned Credit Union.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TimoneX For This Useful Post:

Joseph (09-21-2011)

7. Post #5

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 608 Posts

The report came out at 2:14 PM EDT. Does this mean it was announced after the markets closed?

I'm just curious as, well, if the markets haven't digested this yet it could have some small impact on how
    things play tomorrow.

8. Post #6

Thanks
    Thanked 17,477 Times in 8,121 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Argentsum View Post
    The report came out at 2:14 PM EDT. Does this mean it was announced after the markets closed?

I'm just curious as, well, if the markets haven't digested this yet it could have some small impact on how
    things play tomorrow.
    Markets in New York close at 4:00 PM ET
    " 'The problem' is, uh, I'm the president of the United States;
    I'm not, uh, the emperor of the United States."

-- Barrack Hussein Soetoro Soebarkah Obama Shama-Lama-Ding-Dong the Magnificent! - 02/17/13

9. Post #7

Thanks
    Thanked 17,477 Times in 8,121 Posts

BOA, WF, JPM, Sh*ttyBank let 'em fail!

It's the only way to reboot the system.
    " 'The problem' is, uh, I'm the president of the United States;
    I'm not, uh, the emperor of the United States."

-- Barrack Hussein Soetoro Soebarkah Obama Shama-Lama-Ding-Dong the Magnificent! - 02/17/13

10. Post #8

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 608 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
    Markets in New York close at 4:00 PM ET
    Thanks, I translated when it already was. Time travel is an occasional source of confusion for me.

11. Post #9

Thanks
    Thanked 6,481 Times in 3,140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CiscoKid View Post
    I don't know if this was justified or not, but I have been looking for an excuse to quit B of A for a while now. The fact that they were giving credit to illegals galled me but I was too lazy to make the change. When they accepted bailout money I wanted to switch but was too lazy to do it (I'm busy, O.K?). I currently bank with three banks - M&T, PNC, and B of A. Tomorrow, I will make the move to open a fourth account and transfer all my B of A assets over to the new bank. Thinking of going with a small, no-name, hometown bank this time. Smurf B of A.
    Funny, I specifically opened an account(keep minimum balance in a savings) with BoA to order halves from. I've made over $200 from them so far.
    Truthfulness - Benevolence - Forbearance

12. Post #10

Doom & Gloomer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar
    Thanks

-283 today

-171 between 3 pm & 4 pm

http://bw.dowjones.com/mdc/public/pa...od=mdc_h_usshl
    WATER
    FOOD
    SHELTER ( includes fire/heat )
    SECURITY

TSHTF does not mean you stop living
    you just change your definition of a " good life "

Kyratshooter

13. Post #11

Thanks
    Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,620 Posts

Someone I know recently tried to cash a BofA-drawn check at a BofA branch and was unsuccessful even though the personnel believed she was who she identified herself to be, but because she did not have the "required forms" of ID they would not cash the check. Even a birth certificate was not enough. I'm sorry, but that doesn't cut it. A check is an order to pay, it should be negotiable as such.

R.
    "Walk the gold trails of my good friend, do I. On my feet are "strong sole" of thick leather, purchased with much knowledge of physical gold. These shoes not go bare before our journey is done. On trail I see your "thin sole" gold investments cast aside and scavenged by beasts." - ANOTHER (THOUGHTS!) (04/14/01; 18:08:54MT - #: 51887)

Personal best on calm water: SAE - 32 skips. GAE - 21 skips.

14. Post #12

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
    Someone I know recently tried to cash a BofA-drawn check at a BofA branch and was unsuccessful even though the personnel believed she was who she identified herself to be, but because she did not have the "required forms" of ID they would not cash the check. Even a birth certificate was not enough. I'm sorry, but that doesn't cut it. A check is an order to pay, it should be negotiable as such.

R.
    Not really sure what a birth cert does....I can get a copy of your cert and clean out your accounts then? I really don't blame them for wanting official government issued photo id. I don't buy the argument that id should not be required to vote either....
    It might well be said that, while the free market bends over backwards to serve the needs and desires of individuals, the state merely bends individuals over backwards.

15. Post #13

Modal Operator/Moderator Goldhedge's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,827 Times in 6,813 Posts

Sinclair said the banks that took bail out money would be the ones to experience 'problems' like this...
    "...a Republic, if you can keep it!" Ben Franklin

Derivatives are contracts whose value is derived from stocks, bonds, loans, currencies and
    commodities, or linked to specific events such as changes in interest rates or the weather.

"Money is the future idea of value." Armstrong

"Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance." Sun Tzu
    Be the change you want to see in the world. Gandhi

16. Post #14

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 841 Posts

Wednesday September 21, 2011, 2:14 pm EDT ???