Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Royal Canadian Mint's official position on "milk spots" on silver Maple Leaf coins

1. Post #1

Thanks
    Thanked 4,655 Times in 1,784 Posts

Default Royal Canadian Mint's official position on "milk spots" on silver Maple Leaf coins

The following is an email letter from a RCM distributor concerning the problem. To summarize, the RCM's position on "milk spots" on their silver coins is : "Don't like it? Buy something else."

Hello,

Here is the short explanation. We just had a meeting with the Mint about this 10 days ago.

The white stains (or "milk spots") result from the planchet (flan) cleaning and preparation process. Some Silver Maple Leaf coins have them (SMLs), some do not.

This is the Mint's official position: The coins are bullion coins. They are not collector coins. They are sold as one ounce of silver. The Mint knows that there is a problem. The problem has existed since 1988, when the SML coin was first introduced. The Mint says that there is nothing that they can do about the problem.

Our experience is that some SMLs have them and some do not. We do not know what we are going to get when we open the boxes of 500 ounces of silver that come from the Mint. We have to take what we get; we can not return them. We do not have the time to sort them, etc.

We ship out what we get. Per the terms of our invoices, we do charge a restocking fee for returned bullion items.

I am sorry about the problem, but we have no control over it.

I hope that this helps,

John

John Winkelmann
    ANA Life Member

Talisman Coins
    Official Distributor for the Royal Canadian Mint,
    for the Mint of Poland (in Warsaw),
    for the Perth Mint of Australia,
    and for Monnaie de Paris (The Paris Mint)

9051 Watson Road, Suite 103
    St. Louis, MO 63126
    UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
    Oppressing everyone to avoid oppressing anyone is the egalitarian ethos gone mad.- Daniel Greenfield

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. -C.S. Lewis

The home of the brave came before the land of the free.

2. Post #2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 561 Posts

Default Re: Royal Canadian Mint's official position on "milk spots" on silver Maple Leaf coin

Just buy them for the bullion value if the price is right, otherwise pass them over. caveat emptor.

3. Post #3

Gold Member+
    Thanks

Default Re: Royal Canadian Mint's official position on "milk spots" on silver Maple Leaf coin

that shit is hard to remove as well... I've tried using coin cleaner (whizzed coins) and it wouldn't even remove the spots after a prolonged dip.

4. Post #4

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner hydro's Avatar
    Thanks

My local dealer puts them in with his generic silver. That is the only way I buy SMLs.
    DISCLAIMER: All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living, dead, or undead, is purely coincidental.

5. Post #5

Getting Acclimated Prospector PacificAg's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone have any pictures of these spots?

6. Post #6

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PacificAg View Post
    Anyone have any pictures of these spots?
    \

I think I have one with the spots around here somewhere but it's not the sort of thing I usually photo. The term "milk" spots is pretty descriptive, it looks like some milk dried on the coin, a whitish haze, spots, not large areas of the coin. I'll shoot it if I run into a Maple with them.
    Oppressing everyone to avoid oppressing anyone is the egalitarian ethos gone mad.- Daniel Greenfield

7. Post #7

Gold Member+
    Thanks

^

I've had milk spotted coins that covered a large portion of the coin. I'd post pictures up, except that I just sold them monday.

8. Post #8

Getting Acclimated Prospector 1981's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know, if they can get some of the coins out w/o spots, you'd think they could get them all out w/o spots.

9. Post #9

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1981 View Post
    I don't know, if they can get some of the coins out w/o spots, you'd think they could get them all out w/o spots.
    I'll bet it has to do with a release agent that they put on the die and that a certain number of stampings after lubing will get spots. No knowledge, just my theory.

Wonder why you never get the spots with eagles, Lunars, Kooks, Pandas, Libertads etc? What do they mean there's nothing they can do? How about doing what the rest of the world does?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TomD For This Useful Post:

ccjoe (04-14-2010)

11. Post #10

Gold Member+
    Thanks

I think those spots may actually somehow be a result of the minting process. I whizzed a coin with the milk spots 3 consecutive times for 15 seconds a piece, which did not remove the spots. So it's probably more than just "dirty" or a discoloration.

12. Post #11

Found a way in
    Thanks

Mine are milk fingerprints. But I have no way of knowing if they came from the mint or from A*mex.

13. Post #12

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner livtocruz's Avatar
    Thanks

Here's a picture of a 2008 reverse with a spot. It didn't show up "white" though, it has a little color to it. It's on the bottom right, on and above the "OZ". There is a little tiny black speck of dirt almost dead center. It's not on the coin but it was on the plat of my scanner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails reverse.JPG  
    Sea Ya,

M

"Remember, wherever you go, there you are." unknown

14. Post #13

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner livtocruz's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh yea, if that's the RCM's official position on the CSM then why the hell is there a premium equal to the ASE for a damn (CMX) bullion round

Enough abbreviations for ya?
    Sea Ya,

M

"Remember, wherever you go, there you are." unknown

15. Post #14

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 795 Posts

I've have not bought another silver maple because of this (why can the American mint produce a silver bullion product w/o detracting milk spots). Lame response. Got mine from APMEX and have never bought again . If I buy a SML it is because I have looked at it first
    The people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption. If it be intelligent, brave, and pure, it is because the people demand these high qualities to represent them in the national legislature. -President James Garfield

We have a giverment/takerment, we deserve a government for the people - AgAuGal 2010

16. Post #15

Thanks

Slightly off topic, but I had a slabbed Franklin Proof Half that had milk spots on it. So apparently it was happening before the Canadian Maples came out. My solution was to sell it for bullion, not collector - big discount for the buyer.

17. Post #16

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 624 Posts

Probably tungsten-coated silver.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to earplugs For This Useful Post:

TomD (04-14-2010)

19. Post #17

Getting Acclimated Prospector LWK's Avatar
    Thanks

One member had mentioned before how to get rid of them, but I forgot who that was. Frankly, I don't really care. I still think the coins look really pretty. They are my favorites among the silver bullion coins. I also tend to buy them individually when my places get stock, so I never buy in bulk that is large enough to where I'll get a huge bad run. Definitely a coin to buy on sight if you have the option. Mainly due to getting roughed with a huge lot of badly milked maples.

1 Maples
    2 Harmonics
    3 ASE
    4 Kooka's

20. Post #18

Gold Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AgAuGal View Post
    I've have not bought another silver maple because of this (why can the American mint produce a silver bullion product w/o detracting milk spots). Lame response. Got mine from APMEX and have never bought again . If I buy a SML it is because I have looked at it first
    It really is a waste of premiums to buy the SMaples as they DO get the milk spots. It's a shame as they are beautiful.

21. 04-14-2010, 09:07 AM

22. Post #19

Thanks
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 606 Posts

Maybe I'm strange, but I welcome seeing them. Sort of an unofficial authentication mark. After all, if you're going to fake Maples, you're going to want them as shiny and attractive as possible, no?
    And this is why I'm a monarchist ... the public is just too damn stupid to be allowed to control the country

23. Post #20

Getting Acclimated Prospector PacificAg's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for the pic!

24. Post #21

Getting Acclimated Prospector LWK's Avatar
    Thanks

Another thing also, philharmonics get those spots to.

25. Post #22

Gold Member+
    Thanks

I acquired some maples with milk spots, if anyone is interested, I can post some high res pics.

26. Post #23

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Royal Canadian Mint's official position on "milk spots" on silver Maple Leaf coin

Quote Originally Posted by ~BS View Post
    I acquired some maples with milk spots, if anyone is interested, I can post some high res pics.
    Please do, I bought a bunch that had milk spots on Fleabay and at the price I paid didn't bother crying too much. I don't pay premiums.

27. Post #24

I have become comfortably numb... budfox's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Surface View Post
    "Milk spots" on the silver indeed... isn't that the year they hired Ivan Yackinoff
    No, I think his name was Jack Mihoff.
    It's better to burn out than fade away...........

28. Post #25

Gold Member+
    Thanks

The spots on these Maples aren't too bad. I've had some that were way worse.

Sorry if the pictures aren't too clear. I dont have a tripod.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~BS For This Useful Post:

Huey (05-13-2010), latemetal (04-21-2010), livtocruz (04-20-2010)