Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: What's a wholesale price on $20 no motto gold double eagles and$10 indian heads?

1. Post #1

YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE, GOOD DAY SIR!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,041 Posts

Default What's a wholesale price on $20 no motto gold double eagles and$10 indian heads?

thanks for any info on these coins!

2. Post #2

YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE, GOOD DAY SIR!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,041 Posts

Default Re: What's a wholesale price on $20 no motto gold double eagles and$10 indian heads?

just looking for a general price range, i know the gold content, but do common date double eagles and indian heads have any nusimatic value?

3. Post #3

Thanks
    Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,932 Posts

Default Re: What's a wholesale price on $20 no motto gold double eagles and$10 indian heads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinbox View Post
    just looking for a general price range, i know the gold content, but do common date double eagles and indian heads have any nusimatic value?
    The only double eagle I have is an 1878-S, bought at a coin show, and dealer's asking price was melt plus $30. It is in circulated condition. Seems to me, the higher the gold content (with the double eagle on top of course), the lower the premium over melt, and the quarter eagle the highest premium over melt.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bemac For This Useful Post:

Tinbox (04-19-2012)

5. Post #4

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner AguA's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know anything about numis other than what I read online and what my dealer shares with me. Having said that, here's a link that someone shared with me. I was told that anything between spot and the prices listed are the general operating range. It's not up to the minute in updated prices but it seems to work pretty well from what I've seen around.

http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml

Hope it helps.
    Silver is my money for today, gold is the insurance for my tomorrow, and FRN's are simply the compost I use to grow it all.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AguA For This Useful Post:

Tinbox (04-19-2012)

7. Post #5

Gold Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bemac View Post
    The only double eagle I have is an 1878-S, bought at a coin show, and dealer's asking price was melt plus $30. It is in circulated condition. Seems to me, the higher the gold content (with the double eagle on top of course), the lower the premium over melt, and the quarter eagle the highest premium over melt.
    That is correct. The bigger pieces 20, 10 and even 5 pieces act more like bullion with a pinch of numi value. The smaller stuff 2.5 and 3 dollar and 1 dollar pieces go for way over melt in decent condition. Even bashed up, spit on, ran over ex jewelry pieces command more than melt. I think a lot of the small stuff ended up in jewelry after FDR issued confiscation orders while most the bigger pieces went overseas. This led to a lot of good quality big pieces and not a lot of good quality of the smaller pieces.

There is a rule do not trade 1 oz gold eagles for 20 double eagles, it is because the trade results in less gold though older with not much numi value.
    The Golden rule: Those that own the gold make the rules.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pay dirt For This Useful Post:

Tinbox (04-19-2012)

9. Post #6

Thanks
    Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,932 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pay dirt View Post
    There is a rule do not trade 1 oz gold eagles for 20 double eagles, it is because the trade results in less gold though older with not much numi value.
    That's probably not a bad rule. But I was happy to pay $30 over melt for such a cool piece of history. The fact it is circulated makes it even cooler, who knows what all it was used for, who owned it, what poker tables it sat on.

10. Post #7

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 862 Posts

I was paying $50 over melt for XF-AU quality double eagles a few years ago. You do have to calculate as you are not getting a full ounce of gold. If you are using this tactic to protect the marketable value because of potential numi demand, do not buy bent, scraped or damaged coins. Wear is fine. Heavy wear, however, can take out 4-5% of the gold, I believe. I had a link where a guy measured up to 9% loss on Barber silver.

You can usually flip Barber silver for spot+, despite heavy wear. There are regular Joes with a few bucks in their pocket to buy such an inexpensive piece for a "historical" collection. Gold is priced too high for Joe, so Josephus, the guy with more money will be your target market - and Josephus wants cleaner pieces without any damage.

From my saved word doc:
    Knowing that information, I weighed $50.00 face value of average circulated Barbers of each denomination. Most coins were in the typical junk Barber grades of AG-G, with many coins worn down pretty thin, especially the dimes. Here's the results:

$50.00 face value of Barber Half Dollars = 1163g or 93.04% of original weight when new

$50.00 face value of Barber Quarter Dollars = 1141g or 91.28% of original weight when new

$50.00 face value of Barber Dimes = 1133g or 90.64% of original weight when new

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dude For This Useful Post:

bemac (04-19-2012), Tinbox (04-19-2012)

12. Post #8

Gold Member+
    Thanks

common gold eagles are treated as bullion for the most part with a premium for better condition and the fact that they're eagles.

Not sure what you mean by wholesale, but expect pricing in the $1600 range for the double eagle and $780-800 for the indian. If you're buying from the dealer, they'll probably want $1700 and $850.

Calculating bullion value is easy. I just round the double eagle to .96. Then divide by 2, 4, or 8 for the eagle, half, and quarter eagle.

13. Post #9

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 862 Posts

Thanks for the thanks.
    I do want to mention one other important point that I just thought of. Cleaned coins...numi's hate them. Slabbers will mark a coin cleaned. Before you go whole hog into raw coins, search ebay to see cleaned coins. Look on the web to see pics to help you. I'm no expert and even experts often disagree on a particular piece. I think I have a few that would come back labeled cleaned if they were graded. Why is life so difficult?

14. Post #10

Thanks

What condition? If raw and less than mint state, then probably around spot.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Usc96 For This Useful Post:

Tinbox (04-21-2012)

16. Post #11

Thanks

4/20/12 greysheet bid/ask spot basis $1650
    st. gaudens $20
    vf20 1615/1675
    xf40 1630/1690
    au50 1650/1705
    au58 1665/1715
    ms60 1685/1735
    ms62 1710/1770
    ms63 1730/1785
    ms64 1780/1840
    ms65 1960/2020

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hernancortes For This Useful Post:

HistoryStudent (04-21-2012), Tinbox (04-21-2012)