Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Frugal are You?

1. Post #1

Thanks
    Thanked 6,479 Times in 3,138 Posts

Default How Frugal are You?

We all share something in common here. As devalued as they are, we all like our hard earned FRN's and would prefer to use them as wisely as possible.

My mother learned from her parents how to stretch just about everything. Food, clothes, tools etc. Some things that my mother was frugal with, I am too. With some things I realized it was worth more to me to buy better or more and not sweat the few extra bucks. For instance the little homeowner tools that my mom had while I was growing up are some of the most annoying things I've dealt with and refuse to use tools not equipped for the task at hand. Now I buy my mother nice corless drills, ladders, brooms etc. Mostly so when I am around I won't have to use her cheap stuff!

Later in life I befriended someone that is the cheapest most stingy bastid I've ever met. He won't ever spend a penny more that he has too and usually won't even spend the penny! Example: He washes his clothes in a pot in the sink; sleeps in the same bed he had for many decades; keeps the house at 50 in the winter(wood only); grows his own food and NEVER eats out(unless someone else foots the bill). After spending a few years watching his thrifty ways, I started to realize the pleasure he gets from NOT spending. Of course on the other side of the spectrum was my wife when I first met her. Money was for throwing at all of life's problems and name brands were the order of the day.

For me personally, the balance is somewhere in between. I like to splurge every once in a while without burden or guilt and I am usually only able to do that after a thrifty period of saving.

Some things I splurge on:

Travel expenses(car rental, airfare)
    Going out to eat once or twice a week (nothing fancy but it adds up)
    Autos and maintenence

Things I am thrifty with:

Electronics, furniture, clothes, beverages, entertainment(Don't watch tv or movies) etc.

One thing I wish I was better with is using coupons, but I find that they often expire before I use them. I do manage to use coupons for bigger items at Home Cheapo and Harbor Freight though.

What are some of the more extremes you (or someone you know) take in being frugal?
    Truthfulness - Benevolence - Forbearance

2. The Following User Says Thank You to newmisty For This Useful Post:

TimoneX (05-27-2012)

3. Post #2

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Default Re: How Frugal are You?

And, now how more frugal would you be if you were buying things with silver and gold coins?

4. Post #3

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 592 Posts

I think a measure of wisdom is knowing the difference between Cheap, and Frugal.

Cheap is buying the lowest price item, no matter what.

Frugal is buying the model that is well made and may cost a little more, but has 5x the lifespan of the cheap item.

Cheapest things I will never buy:

Chinese tires.
    Chinese fish
    Walmart shoes (I did try though, took em back!)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to techguy2 For This Useful Post:

Lore (05-30-2012), shades (05-28-2012)

6. Post #4

Thanks
    Thanked 3,811 Times in 1,801 Posts

Paid $2,500 for my car eight years ago. The driver"s side window won"t roll down, the bumper is held on with wire, etc. as I only have fixed critical things for years, always figuring this year would be it"s last. Never got the nice car gene, what a waste of FRNs. How do you think I can afford to buy gold and silver?

7. Post #5

I have become comfortably numb... budfox's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,439 Posts

I'm tighter than a cow's ass at fly time....
    It's better to burn out than fade away...........

8. Post #6

Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 859 Posts

I am all about quality of life......and pursuit of happiness.

for example
    I am not sure why i would want to keep my house at 50deg so my kids could inherit another 500$ but i put in a ground source geothermal system so i could enjoy good heat and ac at very low rates....

i shop very hard looking for the best VALUE in all that i buy not necessarily the cheapest

i think if a person finds happiness is hoarding every penny just to have a pile of pennys when they die they have missed something in life

life hopefully has a purpose ...money is just a tool.....you use a tool you dont hide it or waste it

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ttazzman For This Useful Post:

Chester-Copperpot (05-27-2012), Merlin (05-26-2012)

10. Post #7

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 806 Posts

Frugality can be a blast, if you make a game out of it. I picked up a near new "Tilley" soft safari type hat at the thrift store the other day, for a buck fifty! Made in Canada, high quality hat. They go for 65 to 90 bucks new. Guaranteed for life. I washed it, it looks brand new! I ran out of salad dressing the other day. I remembered how my Mom made homemade thousand Island when I was a kid, so I did the same. Not only did it bring back fond memories, it was very satisfying! Two things I never skimp, or go cheap on, Tools, and Guns.
    "A Man's Got To Know His Limitations" Dirty Harry Callahan

11. Post #8

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 804 Posts

You can buy a pair of $50 boots at a cheap retail store which will wear out in 12 months so that each & every year you have to buy another pair. Or you can buy a pair of $250 "high end" boots that will last you 7 or 8 years. Some people cant understand paying that much for a pair of boots and they fail to see big picture of the long term.

You've got to understand the bang to buck ratio of things. Just because something is cheap doesnt mean it's a bargain, and there is a difference between cheap and inexpensive.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JayDubya For This Useful Post:

BoatingAccident (06-01-2012), Goldhedge (05-26-2012)

13. Post #9

Thanks
    Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,082 Posts

I spend less then I take in, you don't need to know anymore than that.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    "Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants but debt is the money of slaves." Norm Franz, Money and Wealth in the New Millenium

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to <===Foolsgold For This Useful Post:

GOLDZILLA (05-26-2012), Lore (05-30-2012), Malus (05-26-2012), Meetzos (05-26-2012)

15. Post #10

Thanks
    Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,822 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    You can buy a pair of $50 boots at a cheap retail store which will wear out in 12 months so that each & every year you have to buy another pair. Or you can buy a pair of $250 "high end" boots that will last you 7 or 8 years. Some people cant understand paying that much for a pair of boots and they fail to see big picture of the long term.

You've got to understand the bang to buck ratio of things. Just because something is cheap doesnt mean it's a bargain, and there is a difference between cheap and inexpensive.
    Or, you could be patient until the 250 dollar boots are on close out for 50 bucks, like I did the last time I bought boots, in 1996
    One Shot At Glory
    Driving hard and seeing red
    Destiny calls me
    One night of fire
    One Shot At Glory

16. Post #11

Thanks
    Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,865 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmansmith View Post
    Paid $2,500 for my car eight years ago. The driver"s side window won"t roll down, the bumper is held on with wire, etc. as I only have fixed critical things for years, always figuring this year would be it"s last. Never got the nice car gene, what a waste of FRNs. How do you think I can afford to buy gold and silver?
    Richard Maybury said, "buy a new car with your profits!"

I rolled-off the new car dealer lot with a new 2012 LE Gunmetal Grey Sienna (BUS! it's 2 feet longer then my 2000 was and one-foot wider).

I feel like I work for GREYHOUND TOOT, TOOT, TOOTIE...

No money down, no interest for five years and instead of paying cash I have $35 K to play with....
    Let's gamble...

Since gold and silver are cheaper then they were in 2007... let's roll....

Start dancing... KIDS!!!

SHAKE IT!
    Be careful out there; IT is a jungle.

17. Post #12

Gold Member+
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,281 Times in 1,575 Posts

I was shunned by my family for three years for not saving the excess oil from a can of tuna.

18. Post #13

Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,351 Posts

My wife is a dollar-store shopper for all kinds of sh!t, thinking she is being frugal. Sometimes, it is a smart buy, but the majority is just crap that isn't worth the price. This isn't frugality, it's stupidity.
    "The two most common substances in the Universe are hydrogen and stupidity."

Be the Organ Grinder, not the Monkey.

A Trillion Dollars is a stack of $100 bills, 679 miles high.

19. Post #14

Gold Member+
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 825 Posts

I spend money in two ways:

1. I spend money to save money.

An example was the $6500.00 I spent on new windows. Those new windows saved me alot on the
    heating bill, year after year. Also, it adds to the value of my house, if I want to ever sell it. It may
    take a number of years to recoup that $6500.00, but it will eventually happen.

2. I spend money to make money.

An example is the John Deere tractor I bought. A have ownership in 360 acres of land. I need that
    tractor for it. One 160 acre farmland parcel I own was bought for $700.00 an acre. The farmland
    in that area now sells for over $3,000.00 an acre. That tractor was needed to maintain that land
    (mow roadside ditches, etc.). That tractor did not cost anything.

IMHO, think before you spend. Prioritize what you need done/purchase. Get the best bang for the buck.
    The US Government was designed to prevent people from killing and stealing our property.

But today, the government kills and takes our property.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Treasure Searcher For This Useful Post:

GOLDZILLA (05-26-2012), HistoryStudent (05-26-2012), Lore (05-30-2012)

21. Post #15

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus GOLDZILLA's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,050 Times in 1,555 Posts

The only thing I do not think before buying is food. Everything else is scrutinized fully. I do eat as much as I can from the garden, and buy most of my food in bulk, but thats the chink in my armour.

The easy way for me to be cheap is instead of thinking how many dollars something will cost, I think of how many hours I have to spend in my personal hell ( the job ) to get that item. More often than not I will not buy unless I am sure I can recoup or double my return on whatever I am thinking of buying in the future.

Also, so long as you always make more than you spend, you'll be o.k.
    I'm a jeenyus, and i approve this massage.

22. Post #16

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 804 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DodgebyDave View Post
    Or, you could be patient until the 250 dollar boots are on close out for 50 bucks, like I did the last time I bought boots, in 1996
    Dave, you've got me beat by a few years and a few dollars. I've got an old pair of Timberland's (yeah, I know, there's MUCH better boots) that I got in 1998 and probably paid around $125 for them. All I do is keep 'em clean and apply waterproofing every once in a while and they're still looking damn near new. Ocassionally I'll head back east for a visit and friends will comment "You STILL have those boots?".

23. Post #17

Thanks
    Thanked 4,648 Times in 1,780 Posts

Frugal is relative as in it is hard to be frugal compared to some African living on the equivalent of $.50/day.

But I have always lived below my income, substantially so for most of my life. It amused me to see some guy working 2 levels below me while driving nicer vehicles and living in a bigger house but not realizing that he was enslaving himself.

Though I agree that money doesn't buy happiness, I've seen that lack of money damn sure buys misery.
    Oppressing everyone to avoid oppressing anyone is the egalitarian ethos gone mad.- Daniel Greenfield

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. -C.S. Lewis

The home of the brave came before the land of the free.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to TomD For This Useful Post:

GOLDZILLA (05-26-2012)

25. Post #18

Thanks
    Thanked 1,526 Times in 896 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post

Though I agree that money doesn't buy happiness, I've seen that lack of money damn sure buys misery.
    The true path to wealth is reducing the monthly need for FRNs.

Total monthly cost for my present dwelling + land is $200, that includes taxes and utilities.

In my case, the lack of needing money buys peace of mind.
    In vexillum of angelus quod liberi ... nos vadum reperio fidelis

26. Post #19

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Paradise View Post
    I was shunned by my family for three years for not saving the excess oil from a can of tuna.
    I bought the tuna canned in oil because I figured when TSHTF the extra calories would come in handy. Now, I've decided I like tuna packed in water better -- it is not as mushy as the oil packed tuna. So, that settles it for me.

I darn my socks when they develop holes. Is that frugal enough?
    Last edited by Merlin; 05-27-2012 at 08:55 AM.
    This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man.
    William Shakespeare

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Merlin For This Useful Post:

GOLD DUCK (05-27-2012)

28. Post #20

Not just a screen name hammerhead's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by minimus View Post
    The true path to wealth is reducing the monthly need for FRNs.

Total monthly cost for my present dwelling + land is $200, that includes taxes and utilities.

In my case, the lack of needing money buys peace of mind.
    Wow Minimus,

Good for you. Thats 6.66666 dollars a day.
    Last I checked, I need to make $78 a day and that is mostly expenses. Need to make more if I want to eat. I am still a slave, but when the last kid leaves, I hope to cut down. Not sure how, but the gears are turning.

29. Post #21

Found a way in
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newmisty View Post

What are some of the more extremes you (or someone you know) take in being frugal?

stay away from doctors & hospitals , learn how to doctor yourself & you'll be richer & healthier

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firecracker For This Useful Post:

anywoundedduck (05-26-2012), Someone_else (05-26-2012)

31. Post #22

Gold Member+
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,281 Times in 1,575 Posts

. I bought the tuna canned in oil because I figured when TSHTF the extra calories would come in handy. Now, I've decided I like tuna packed in water better -- it is not as mushy as the oil packed tuna. So, that settles it for me.

Yes, the albacore in water actually looks edible when you open it.

32. Post #23

Silver Art Bar collector Silver Art's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 995 Posts

Some frugal things that I do:

1.) Riding the bus to work instead of driving to work - saves on gas and wear and tear on my vehicle.

2.) Using the fitness center at work - free for employees to use and I do not have to worry about a paying for a gym membership.

3.) Going to discount grocery stores - I save a lot of money on fruits and vegetables and many other food items. I am able to watch my diet while still staying on a budget.

4.) Not using A/C (in the Summer) and Not using Heat in the Winter - Using fans (in the Summer) and space heaters and bundling up (in the winter) has cut my monthly electric bill nearly in half.

With that said, I am not really a frugal person like most on this forum. My main goal in life is to become debt free in about 2 1/2 years from now and I had to cut back on my monthly expenses as part of my goal to becoming debt free within that span of time. I changed my spending behaviors and I found ways to save money without affecting my lifestyle too much. I still spend money on things and hobbies that I enjoy that makes me happy (such as collecting silver art bars) but I just set a budget for myself and watch what I spend and put some FRNs in the bank for emergencies while I am able to pay down my debt.
    ATTENTION! Read this very carefully: My gut feeling on silver is just that.......A gut feeling. I have absolutely nothing to back it up with.

DISCLAIMER: I am a silver art bar "hoor" but I am not really a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.

When I am not at work earning FRN's, I am at home earning Bitcoin. When I am sleeping, I am earning a Bitcoin dividend from Prypto.

I am the poster that is formally known as OutlawJoseyWalesJr on GIM1.

33. Post #24

Thanks

Here is some, but not all of what I do to be frugal.

I have had the same Trac II razor blade for over 3 years, because I can easily keep the blades sharper than new.

I save my coffee grounds to feed my azaelas and other acid loving landscape plants. Works better than Miracle Grow for Acid loving plants, that costs a fortune.

My wife and I opened a Bridal Shop shop within walking distance from the house. We barely drive more than a thousand miles a year, if that.

My wife and I have paid for cars that are older than 10 years. Our insurance and taxes on these cars is next to nothing.

I use the internet to find how to repair or replace plumbing, electrical applicances, automobiles, before I will pay someone to do it.

I would be interested in anybodys tips on how they save money, even if it is just a few bucks.
    THERE IS NO LAW ENFORCEMENT: Criminal misconduct has become the norm for Wall Street Banksters. No laws are enforced for selling enormous supply without metal. The media reports none of this, as they are owned and controlled by the crooks. The Fiscal Cliff has long been breached, and the US Economy along with the dollar is soon to be a grease spot at the foot of this supposed Fiscal Cliff. Got Silver? Got Gold?

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anywoundedduck For This Useful Post:

MKS (05-27-2012), Weatherman (05-27-2012)

35. Post #25

Thanks
    Thanked 5,283 Times in 2,906 Posts

tracfone cell - 9 bucks a month

car insurance - liability only

cars - very used, pay cash

clothes - dont buy unless need

house - about half of what i could comfortably afford

pay everything with rebate ccards - rebate = one ounce gold/yr
    "Only a FOOL would let his enemy teach his children" Malcom X

“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” John Adams

36. Post #26

Thanks
    Thanked 1,445 Times in 872 Posts

Cheap bulk green coffee beans go into an electric air popcorn popper with a lid on it to roast. From there they're cooled and hit the coffee mill then the coffee pot. After that they go into an espresso machine then into the compost heap. Very cheap and the results are very satisfying. I cheap bastid 11 months a year. The 12th is for a paid off timeshare to preserve sanity.
    Bitcoin...an idea worth spending.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to TimoneX For This Useful Post:

MKS (05-27-2012)

38. Post #27

Thanks
    Thanked 4,378 Times in 1,896 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 90%RealMoney View Post
    Frugality can be a blast, if you make a game out of it. I picked up a near new "Tilley" soft safari type hat at the thrift store the other day, for a buck fifty! Made in Canada, high quality hat. They go for 65 to 90 bucks new. Guaranteed for life. I washed it, it looks brand new! I ran out of salad dressing the other day. I remembered how my Mom made homemade thousand Island when I was a kid, so I did the same. Not only did it bring back fond memories, it was very satisfying! Two things I never skimp, or go cheap on, Tools, and Guns.
    Look in the top of that hat. You will see a holder for a combination warranty and bragging rights.

It includes the funny story of the hat that an elephant in Canuckistan liked to yank off the head of one of the handlers in the zoo, chew it up and swallow it. The hat has gone through the elephant FOUR TIMES.

The hat company told the guy they would like the hat for their museum and would give the guy a brand new one... but he wants to keep it.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unca Walt For This Useful Post:

90%RealMoney (05-27-2012), Kkernell (05-27-2012)

40. Post #28

Thanks
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 945 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    stay away from doctors & hospitals , learn how to doctor yourself & you'll be richer & healthier
    Amen brutha. Ill add, do everything humanly possible to stay away from lawyers.

41. Post #29

Thanks
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 945 Posts

I'll amend that to say that sometimes going to the doctor is necessary. But I'd bet most visits are unecessary. Chronic doctor goers are almost certainly living unhealthy lifestyles. Victims of fat butt disease or mentally needy, wanting attention. Expensive way to live life.

42. Post #30

Thanks
    Thanked 1,125 Times in 591 Posts

I have always been the cheapest son of a gun I knew.

Spaghetti sauce. I'll rinse out the jar with water & dump in whatever I'm cooking, rather than lose a couple of drops of "food that I paid for."
    I nuke the honey jar to get out the last drop.
    I shop at Aldis first, then the thrift stores second.
    Iced Tea from teabags, sugar, & lemon concentrate rather than a "mix".
    I try to buy low miles old cars & run them till they make their final stop at the crusher.
    I do most of my car maintenance & other home handyman stuff.
    If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down.
    Merlin, I don't darn socks, but I have plenty of "toe sticks out pairs" that I still wear. (I keep a "visit folks where you take off your shoes house" pair set aside just in case)
    Most of my shirts are free. (some damn band gives them to me if they like my mix)
    Most of my jeans are free (got them out of storage unit auctions)
    I save the plastic bags from my wife's dry cleaning. I tie a knot in one end & use it as the trash can liner.

Things I splurge on:
    Gas for the mower. I mow as much of the place as I feel like. (about $30.00 per week)
    AC in the summer. As a kid we slept on the downstairs floor because it was cooler.
    My new pole building, scheduled to be put up next month.
    That last Buffalo at $1900.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to glockngold For This Useful Post:

Silver Art (05-27-2012)

44. Post #31

Silver Art Bar collector Silver Art's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 995 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by glockngold View Post
    I shop at Aldis first, then the thrift stores second.
    There is an ALDIs in Tennessee and that is where I buy most of my produce from as well as some other foods such as skim milk. It is much cheaper than Walmart and I was able to save a lot of money shopping for most of my groceries at ALDI.
    ATTENTION! Read this very carefully: My gut feeling on silver is just that.......A gut feeling. I have absolutely nothing to back it up with.

DISCLAIMER: I am a silver art bar "hoor" but I am not really a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.

When I am not at work earning FRN's, I am at home earning Bitcoin. When I am sleeping, I am earning a Bitcoin dividend from Prypto.

I am the poster that is formally known as OutlawJoseyWalesJr on GIM1.

45. Post #32

Getting Acclimated Prospector
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimoneX View Post
    Cheap bulk green coffee beans go into an electric air popcorn popper with a lid on it to roast. From there they're cooled and hit the coffee mill then the coffee pot. After that they go into an espresso machine then into the compost heap. Very cheap and the results are very satisfying. I cheap bastid 11 months a year. The 12th is for a paid off timeshare to preserve sanity.
    Hey Tim, I been thinking about a timeshare but thought they're scams. You seem pretty financially savvy from what you write on this site. Could you share where you purchased it and some other pointers? I just might reconsider.....or any other GIMer who can help out, thanks!

46. Post #33

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 592 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anywoundedduck View Post
    Here is some, but not all of what I do to be frugal.

I have had the same Trac II razor blade for over 3 years, because I can easily keep the blades sharper than new.

I save my coffee grounds to feed my azaelas and other acid loving landscape plants. Works better than Miracle Grow for Acid loving plants, that costs a fortune.

My wife and I opened a Bridal Shop shop within walking distance from the house. We barely drive more than a thousand miles a year, if that.

My wife and I have paid for cars that are older than 10 years. Our insurance and taxes on these cars is next to nothing.

I use the internet to find how to repair or replace plumbing, electrical applicances, automobiles, before I will pay someone to do it.

I would be interested in anybodys tips on how they save money, even if it is just a few bucks.
    Just me or does he sound like Kermit the frog????

47. Post #34

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seekinginsight View Post
    Hey Tim, I been thinking about a timeshare but thought they're scams. You seem pretty financially savvy from what you write on this site. Could you share where you purchased it and some other pointers? I just might reconsider.....or any other GIMer who can help out, thanks!
    Tx for the kind words. I purchased my timeshare on fleaBay for a fraction of the retail price($2kish) prior to the paypal acquisition which has resulted in my boycott of both. My home resort is an RCI points unit located in Kissimmee, FL, though I've never stayed there, and likely never will. A lot of people obtain overpriced timeshare property which locks them into a timeframe(week) at a specific resort. Pretty lame and inflexible. The point system however is a bargain vacation shoppers dream. Your resort week is simply assigned a point value and credited to your account. Then you convert that into time at the resort of your choice all over the world which you can shop for on their website and occasionally even book without talking to anyone at RCI, though usually I end up calling them for one reason or another.

The folks who unwisely remain locked into their rigid weekly stays routinely have to cancel or lose interest in going to the same resort again and the property goes "on sale". The point cost continues to depreciate as the date approaches. Travel flexibility is the key, and I have lots of that. As a result I often stretch my 7 day non-stay in Kissimmee to 4 or 5 weeks a year at various resorts around the world. There's a membership fee, bi-annual maintenance fees, and week resort conversion fees which all told work out to $400ish/yr, but the overall cost is way below and far superior to equivalent hotel stays. The resorts have fully stocked functioning kitchens, so you can save a ton of money on dining if you so choose and DVD/BLU ray players so you needn't purchase lousy PPV programming. Many have in room saunas, jacuzzi tubs, and laundry facilities in room as well. Resorts outside the continental US especially tropical destinations are often AI or all inclusive properties that feed you and provide you with all the booze you can consume. I've been very happy with the system for the 12yrs or so I've been involved, you just have to do it right IMO.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to TimoneX For This Useful Post:

benzone (10-23-2012)

49. Post #35

Thanks
    Thanked 4,924 Times in 3,259 Posts

QWAK,A TIME SHARE --- that is INSANITY in a BUCKET you don't OWN with a HOLE in the bottom you are required to stuff CASH in to trying to PLUG, but never can!

How did some one who understands GOLD and SILVER manage to sepend YOUR $$$$ so foolishly?

It must have been right after you fell off the TURNUP TRUCK and landed on your HEAD!

Condos and timeshares are right up there with FLIPING HOUSES in the SCAM of the month club for people with more $$$$ than BRAINS and think they can be INVESTORS if the time it right!

Did you invest in BEANEY BABIES TOO??

Payed off TIMESHARE is a DELUSION held by a demented MIND that BUYS the ILUSION being SOLD by GREEDY BANKERS who will sell the SPACE inside WALLS and convince others they actualy BOUGHT somthing REAL!

the DUCK
    "ALL is ONE" What we DO to and FOR others we DO "TO and FOR" our selves ultimitly!

People SELDOM look for TRUTH! What they look for is CONFERMATION that what they have chosen to believe IS TRUTH! This is why people will believe almost ANY THING and also WHY the WORLD is SO MESSED UP!

IT is never realy OVER -- things just CHANGE!

You can QUOTE me on ALL! It IS what I believe to be TRUE!

I AM, the DUCK

50. Post #36

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GOLD DUCK View Post
    QWAK,A TIME SHARE --- that is INSANITY in a BUCKET you don't OWN with a HOLE in the bottom you are required to stuff CASH in to trying to PLUG, but never can!

How did some one who understands GOLD and SILVER manage to sepend YOUR $$$$ so foolishly?

It must have been right after you fell off the TURNUP TRUCK and landed on your HEAD!

Condos and timeshares are right up there with FLIPING HOUSES in the SCAM of the month club for people with more $$$$ than BRAINS and think they can be INVESTORS if the time it right!

Payed off TIMESHARE is a DELUSION held by a demented MIND that BUYS the ILUSION being SOLD by GREEDY BANKERS who will sell the SPACE inside WALLS and convince others they actualy BOUGHT somthing REAL!

the DUCK
    The timeshare deed is no more or less valid than my "free and clear" home deed. Fail to pay the taxes and I'll be shown off the premises by armed publicly employed fascists. I have to live somewhere though and the same fascist five-o don't take kindly to tents in the public park across the street. I *MUST* have play time and this is way cheaper than hotel stays and far more comfortable IMO, but you're welcome to your own, master avian.

51. Post #37

Gold Member+
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,204 Times in 820 Posts

the DUCK
    Duck, you can find great timeshare deals in the secondary market. You may not "own" a heck of a lot, but you can certainly get a great vacation at a great price, especially if there are trading options like Timmy has. Someone has already been duped to pay 10-50K and you swoop in and pay $100-$2000. That's the way the market works when many people can't pay the $400-$1000 annual fee and can't afford to fly to the destination or take off work.

I've been tempted, but even at my age of 52, I feel obligated to spend my vacation time with the parents and in-laws. Still all good, they mean a lot to me.

52. The Following User Says Thank You to Dude For This Useful Post:

TimoneX (05-27-2012)

53. Post #38

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    Duck, you can find great timeshare deals in the secondary market. You may not "own" a heck of a lot, but you can certainly get a great vacation at a great price, especially if there are trading options like Timmy has. Someone has already been duped to pay 10-50K and you swoop in and pay $100-$2000. That's the way the market works when many people can't pay the $400-$1000 annual fee and can't afford to fly to the destination or take off work.
    Spot on brotha. Like buying a three year old lightly used properly maintained car. It's broken in, ain't new, but some loveable (((zucker))) has already eaten 80% of the depreciation curve. The savvy shopper gets a reliable vehicle at a reasonable price.

Love the fam to death, but 3 or 4 weeks of annual vacation are for gf and I ALONE. A week or two of family vacation with my remaining parental unit and/or my teenage sons is my limit. Many of the units have separate lockouts known as "mother-in-law facilities", so you score points with yer lady by springing for the exotic trips(on the cheap) AND potentially providing for relatives.
    Last edited by TimoneX; 05-27-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Added blah blah...

54. The Following User Says Thank You to TimoneX For This Useful Post:

Dude (05-27-2012)

55. Post #39

Thanks

UOTE=TimoneX;382139]The timeshare deed is no more or less valid than my "free and clear" home deed. Fail to pay the taxes and I'll be shown off the premises by armed publicly employed fascists. I have to live somewhere though and the same fascist five-o don't take kindly to tents in the public park across the street. I *MUST* have play time and this is way cheaper than hotel stays and far more comfortable IMO, but you're welcome to your own, master avian. [/QUOTE]

QWAK,HUMmmmmmmmm "I * MUST* have PLAY time!" Yea SHURE if you are 10 years OLD and got some one paying your bills like MOM or Dad!

I need to wright THAT ONE down!

Do you OWN your HOME DEBT FREE and CLEAR?

Granted YES they can take it IF you don't pay your TAXES but at least it is somthing REAL and you can do SOMTHING to get enough $$$ to pay your taxes --- sell some GOLD or SILVER if need be.

With what is coming down the pike "PLAY TIME" is going to EVAPORATE like SPIT in a DESERT sand storm! Time to COWBOY up and deal with REALITY befor REALITY deals with YOU!

TIMESHARE = DERIVITIVE --- somthing that aint REAL but as long as there are BELIEVERS it is REAL enough for THEM!

the DUCK
    Last edited by GOLD DUCK; 05-27-2012 at 04:19 PM.
    "ALL is ONE" What we DO to and FOR others we DO "TO and FOR" our selves ultimitly!

People SELDOM look for TRUTH! What they look for is CONFERMATION that what they have chosen to believe IS TRUTH! This is why people will believe almost ANY THING and also WHY the WORLD is SO MESSED UP!

I AM, the DUCK

56. The Following User Says Thank You to GOLD DUCK For This Useful Post:

Lore (05-30-2012)

57. Post #40

Thanks

QWAK,HUMmmmmmmmm "I * MUST* have PLAY time!" Yea SHURE if you are 10 years OLD and got some one paying your bills like MOM or Dad!

I need to wright THAT ONE down!

Do you OWN your HOME DEBT FREE and CLEAR?

Granted YES they can take it IF you don't pay your TAXES but at least it is somthing REAL and you can do SOMTHING to get enough $$$ to pay your taxes --- sell some GOLD or SILVER if need be.

With what is coming down the pike "PLAY TIME" is going to EVAPORATE like SPIT in a DESERT sand storm! Time to COWBOY up and deal with REALITY befor REALITY deals with YOU!

the DUCK
    Yes, I do "own" my home, I haven't borrowed money from anyone or anything in 15yrs. The timeshare is actually easier, there's nothing to foreclose if you don't pay your fees. You simply cannot use it until you do pay your fees, but nothing is taken from you, unlike your home in the case of property tax default. Think that fascist process is down to 18months or so here in beautiful MI, which means your home can be stolen for 1.5 years of back taxes. That's not ownership.

If I hadn't been personally involved in timeshares for the past decade+, I might share your opinion. Yeah the manure is nearing the impeller, I got preparations, and I got vacation to keep me sane until that happens. What keeps you sane duck?

Enough timeshare thread crapping from me. Sorry newmisty.

58. Post #41

Gold Member+
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,204 Times in 820 Posts

Spot on brotha. Like buying a three year old lightly used properly maintained car. It's broken in, ain't new, but some loveable (((zucker))) has already eaten 80% of the depreciation curve. The savvy shopper gets a reliable vehicle at a reasonable price.

Love the fam to death, but 3 or 4 weeks of annual vacation are for gf and I ALONE. A week or two of family vacation with my remaining parental unit and/or my teenage sons is my limit. Many of the units have separate lockouts known as "mother-in-law facilities", so you score points with yer lady by springing for the exotic trips(on the cheap) AND potentially providing for relatives.
    You know, I might just look at eBay again and actually discuss with the wife the idea. I've passed on quite a few bargains. I use a good number of days of vacation/sick working on my websites. It may be more fun working in Aruba than Houston.

And Duck, my folks live in a fairly nice area in Detroit Metro. They've been affected by lower home values, but they still go downtown to the Renaissance Center. It's not a complete crater of death and doom. That's my indication that the spiral downward will happen slowly and selectively if nothing is done. You produce, you make money, you can afford a timeshare...and some are a frickin' bargain.

59. Post #42

Thanks

Yes, I do "own" my home, I haven't borrowed money from anyone or anything in 15yrs. The timeshare is actually easier, there's nothing to foreclose if you don't pay your fees. You simply cannot use it until you do pay your fees, but nothing is taken from you, unlike your home in the case of property tax default. Think that fascist process is down to 18months or so here in beautiful MI, which means your home can be stolen for 1.5 years of back taxes. That's not ownership.

If I hadn't been personally involved in timeshares for the past decade+, I might share your opinion. Yeah the manure is nearing the impeller, I got preparations, and I got vacation to keep me sane until that happens. What keeps you sane duck?

Enough timeshare thread crapping from me. Sorry newmisty.
    QWAK,IF (?) you own your home free and clear with NO incomberences or leans agenst it, WHY are you SOoooooooooo concerned you may posably lose it IF (?) you are curent with your taxes?

Sounds like you bought a PIG in a POLK and are trying to JUSTIFY doing somthing STUPID with $$$ to me!

HUMmmmmmm Back when I was working I went camping a fiew times, I guess it was a VACATION but seemed like work to me and NOW it is my every day life --- I MUST be on VACATION --- some one should tell me thease things.

the DUCK

I AM, the DUCK

60. Post #43

Thanks

QWAK,I passed up a GREAT deal on a TIMESHARE about 20 years back --- it was realy cheep BUT transpertation there and back was more than I could afford --but it had a MAGNIFICENT VIEW --- from the DARK SIDE of the MOON --- just NO AIR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGmWK0BgySg

the DUCK

I AM, the DUCK

61. Post #44

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 806 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Unca Walt View Post
    Look in the top of that hat. You will see a holder for a combination warranty and bragging rights.

It includes the funny story of the hat that an elephant in Canuckistan liked to yank off the head of one of the handlers in the zoo, chew it up and swallow it. The hat has gone through the elephant FOUR TIMES.

The hat company told the guy they would like the hat for their museum and would give the guy a brand new one... but he wants to keep it.
    Thanks Unca Walt, guess what was in the security holder? A $20 BILL! LOL! I love it!
    "A Man's Got To Know His Limitations" Dirty Harry Callahan

62. Post #45

Thanks
    Thanked 6,479 Times in 3,138 Posts

Duck rants...
    Last edited by newmisty; 05-27-2012 at 09:51 PM.
    Truthfulness - Benevolence - Forbearance

63. Post #46

Silver Member
    Thanks

When does frugality...become Insanity?.

stealing condiment packets...
    using both sides of ass wipe...
    buying an air conditioner & not running it @ 95 degree plus...
    setting heat @ 50 degree in winter...
    save water by not bathing...
    couponing more hrs than at your job...
    stop mowing the lawn...
    drive 25 miles to save a dollar...
    this list could go on & on... Insane!

64. Post #47

Silver Member
    Thanks

Where are you getting your coffee beans?

65. Post #48

Gold Member+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gliddenralston View Post
    When does frugality...become Insanity?.

stealing condiment packets...
    using both sides of ass wipe...
    buying an air conditioner & not running it @ 95 degree plus...
    setting heat @ 50 degree in winter...
    save water by not bathing...
    couponing more hrs than at your job...
    stop mowing the lawn...
    drive 25 miles to save a dollar...
    this list could go on & on... Insane!
    Don't forget to steal the roll of toilet paper, from each public restroom(1) that you visit.

(1) Public restroom is also known as: bathroom, head, biffy, john, toilet room, latrine, etc.
    The US Government was designed to prevent people from killing and stealing our property.

66. Post #49

Silver Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Treasure Searcher View Post
    Don't forget to steal the roll of toilet paper, from each public restroom(1) that you visit.

(1) Public restroom is also known as: bathroom, head, biffy, john, toilet room, latrine, etc.
    Unless your in Cuba then you need to bring your own. Most just use newspaper if they have it..

67. Post #50

Gold Member+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarlover View Post
    Unless your in Cuba then you need to bring your own. Most just use newspaper if they have it..
    When I was typing up that response, I was thinking about foreign "bathrooms". When I was in the Middle East for Operation Desert Shield/Storm, the "bathrooms" were a hole in the floor. No toilet paper there to steal, they used their hand for wiping.
    Last edited by Treasure Searcher; 05-27-2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: spelling