Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Best AR-10 style rifle?

1. Post #1

Deep Sixed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,340 Times in 7,487 Posts

Default Best AR-10 style rifle?

I need some ideas my friends. A few years ago I helped my then bro-in-law dial in a brand new Armalite AR 10 carbine.

I was impressed. It was light, very accurate, well balanced and a pleasure to shoot.

So I want one. Full stock short barrel and a camo finish. I hate those collapsing AR stocks.

There is Armalite and DPMS right off the top of my head but who else and whats the best for the money?

I plan on ordering one from a local guy and getting the finish done before I get it.

All comments welcome, Thanks!

2. Post #2

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Default Re: Best AR-10 style rifle?

[QUOTE=Irons;420938]I need some ideas my friends. A few years ago I helped my then bro-in-law dial in a brand new Armalite AR 10 carbine.

I was impressed. It was light, very accurate, well balanced and a pleasure to shoot.

they are " pretty " and look good on a wall.

But for me, I want an AR that is above all dependable, and will work in sand, mud, water, and is simple to work on. That is the best and most popular AR in the world.... the AK 47 a superb and cheap firearm.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to orovicino For This Useful Post:

funk (08-30-2012)

4. Post #3

Deep Sixed
    Thanks

I have had several AK's, they are fun.

5. Post #4

Thanks

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/g...=REPR762mm.mp4

LWRC REPR. AK reliability, AR ergonomics and sub moa accuracy in a 7.62/.308 platform. Enough said. Bx3

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bx3 For This Useful Post:

Aurumag (08-30-2012), coopersmith (08-30-2012), Irons (08-30-2012), smooth (08-31-2012)

7. Post #5

Deep Sixed
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bx3 View Post
    http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/g...=REPR762mm.mp4

LWRC REPR. AK reliability, AR ergonomics and sub moa accuracy in a 7.62/.308 platform. Enough said. Bx3
    THAT is why I started this thread, a hearty Thank You man!

Watch the operator not the rifle, That thing is smooth as silk! You get what you pay for in the gun world.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=302996834

8. Post #6

Thanks
    Thanked 1,966 Times in 832 Posts

[QUOTE=orovicino;420957]
    Quote Originally Posted by Irons View Post
    I need some ideas my friends. A few years ago I helped my then bro-in-law dial in a brand new Armalite AR 10 carbine.

they are " pretty " and look good on a wall.

But for me, I want an AR that is above all dependable, and will work in sand, mud, water, and is simple to work on. That is the best and most popular AR in the world.... the AK 47 a superb and cheap firearm.
    I'm looking too.
    Would someone be better off with an AK-47 or AK-74 ?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct869.aspx

Item# AK74 Classic Rifle Package RR
    Brand: AK74 Rifles

Please Note :
    Sorry we are sold out please visit our web site through the home page to view current product availability

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storecategory144.aspx

AK74 Classic Rifle Package , Bulgarian 5.45 x 39 semi auto rifle , these are built using original imported & US parts and have a classic red wood style stock set . These are the best AK 74 deal on the market today and much better than other 74 rifles offered at the same price !!

Quailty Build by Lancaster Arms
    G2 Fire Control
    Accepts Hi-Cap Mags
    High Quality US Receiver
    Classic Red wood stock set with black pistol grip.
    Black Finish
    Side Mount Scope Rail
    Built on Original Bulgarian Parts Kit & US Parts for 922R
    16 inch chrome lined threaded barrel
    Bayonet Lug
    Includes (2) 30rd Mag s , mag pouch, sling , cleaning kit , oil bottle & bayonet
    Lifetime Warranty

The rifle package is already a great deal please do not ask for other discounts etc

Check out the AK74 Mag four pack and 1080 round cases of ammo listed at the bottom.

9. Post #7

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner coopersmith's Avatar
    Thanks

I like rock river arms makes. Great guns for the $$, the best low-mid end ar platforms in my field experiance. Although, most of the ar's made by reputable manufacturers, w some notable exceptions, seem to be a-ok. Wilson combat custom builds if youve got the frn. We shoot mostly heavy barrels (not stock) w reworked actions so what do I know? we shoot 308, w changeable uppers, wouldnt have a 223. much prefer my 22-250 custom uppers.

We live on the (real) short grass prairie, so shoot longer distances more often than most........

rock river puts their 223 line on sale (last time 1k frn per) a few times a yr, and has a decent selection included in the sale.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coopersmith For This Useful Post:

Irons (08-31-2012), smooth (08-30-2012)

11. Post #8

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner AU+AG=Bacon's Avatar
    Thanks

Here are a few more for you to consider.
    Its like the golden age of the AR type platform. Many many good options. It all depends on your price range. You can look them up on gunbroker to get an idea of pricing.
    I'm saving for the Knights Armament SR25 EMC or the HK MR762. In my opinion those are the cream of the crop. Any of them including the LWRC that Bx3 recommend, would serve you fine.

http://www.knightarmco.com/sr25.html

http://www.laruetactical.com/obr-762

http://www.lmtstore.com/featured-pro...ck-barrel.html

http://hk-usa.com/civilian_products/mr762_general.asp

Not Ar10 pattern, but similar

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/com...ries/scar-17s/

Bacon

12. Post #9

Deep Sixed
    Thanks

Thanks for the ideas folks!

I have a killer pre ban Colt national match .223 heavy barrel AR-15 I picked up years ago at a hole in the wall Northern MI gunshop.

That's one rifle that will never be for sale as long as I'm alive.

My wife has killed 3 deer with it and bringing it out west to explode Colorado prairie dogs is a frickin' riot.

The .308 platform in a light rifle sounds just right, carrying around a 16 pound HK-91 got a bit old. Or I did.

13. Post #10

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 1,027 Posts

I'd keep the bbl at 18" or longer.

I'm not a fan of DPMS, they got a big contract with the New Mexico State Police dropped for rifles that didn't run. I haven't had my hands on a RRA, but they make fairly good stuff relatively cheap. The Armalite is the best non custom AR10 out there.

That said, the AR10 can be kinda finicky, and I wouldn't trust my life to less than the LWRC mentioned above, or preferably, a GAP custom. A buddy had one a few years ago, and it was stupid accurate AND dead on reliable. GREAT piece of kit, but I don't know if George is still making them.
    I never left the Repubican party. The Republican party moved Left from me.

Dead Dingo's Donger Trading Group
    Barking mad hairy chested trading for real men.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eat Beef For This Useful Post:

Aurumag (08-30-2012)

15. Post #11

Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 885 Posts

I prefer the M1A match rifle myself, but in your case, since you have those boating accidents so frequently, not sure you'd want to spend that much on a rifle.
    "You have to prepare to die to really understand how to live".

16. Post #12

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Look into Spikes Tacticle or BCM-----these are some good Manufacturers and have good prices.

E-A

17. The Following User Says Thank You to electric-amish For This Useful Post:

Irons (08-31-2012)

18. Post #13

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,073 Times in 995 Posts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pu308va4.gif 
Views:	107 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	22297
    Irons, no idea how much you wanna spend, but i dig rock river, and waste plenty of time on their sight. I know they are way back ordered but worth checking out. Nice guns for the money. That being said I'm sure just about everyone else that will post in this thread knows more about guns than I

19. The Following User Says Thank You to smooth For This Useful Post:

Irons (08-31-2012)

20. Post #14

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner LukeNM's Avatar
    Thanks

You might want to checkout a 300 AAC Blackout upper. Works on your existing AR lower and uses the same magazines. Great for quiet work too (subsonic)!

http://300aacblackout.com/

I have been looking at this upper...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ned-upper.html

But, there are several others out there including some of the companies already mentioned. And some new to me rivals.

http://www.sotaarms.com/component/js.../2/89?Itemid=0
    Luke

21. The Following User Says Thank You to LukeNM For This Useful Post:

Irons (08-31-2012)

22. Post #15

Thanks

I can't contribute much on the AR10 side as I have very little experience with them. Personally, I have had good luck with RRA and Armalite on the AR15 side so I would probably start there. Keep the information coming as there are others of us that are curious.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sport For This Useful Post:

Irons (08-31-2012)

24. Post #16

Thanks

GAP is still building AR10 style rifles. For about a grand CHEAPER than the REPR, you get a full on custom rifle. GAP makes some of the best, most accurate rifles available. Of course, it's still DI rather than the REPR's piston system.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precis...n-gap-10-.html

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Eat Beef For This Useful Post:

Irons (08-31-2012)

26. Post #17

Deep Sixed
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smooth View Post
    Irons, no idea how much you wanna spend, but i dig rock river, and waste plenty of time on their sight. I know they are way back ordered but worth checking out. Nice guns for the money. That being said I'm sure just about everyone else that will post in this thread knows more about guns than I
    I'll be checking them out Smooth, biggest gunshop in Grand Rapids is a RRA dealer.

I'll stop in next time my wife drags me down there, they have a couple .308 shorties in stock.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Irons For This Useful Post:

smooth (08-31-2012)

28. Post #18

Deep Sixed
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Beef View Post
    I'd keep the bbl at 18" or longer.

I'm not a fan of DPMS, they got a big contract with the New Mexico State Police dropped for rifles that didn't run. I haven't had my hands on a RRA, but they make fairly good stuff relatively cheap. The Armalite is the best non custom AR10 out there.

That said, the AR10 can be kinda finicky, and I wouldn't trust my life to less than the LWRC mentioned above, or preferably, a GAP custom. A buddy had one a few years ago, and it was stupid accurate AND dead on reliable. GREAT piece of kit, but I don't know if George is still making them.
    Our woods are thick and our rifles are all short now.

The big pretty long barreled bolt actions are sadly gathering dust.

29. Post #19

Thanks

If you want max accuracy, go with the GAP. The only down side is that the tolerances necessary for the sub ½ moa accuracy will not handle contractors sand (aka REPR), dirt, mud or lack of cleaning very well. If you want a ½ moa gun that can handle a little bit more of the filth in the “field conditions” department, go with an OBR. If you want an AK reliable gun that will consistently shoot in the ¾ moa range go with the REPR. I went with the REPR and am not sorry. BTW, I have had it shoot as well as 5/8 moa when the shooter is doing his job……..and not one malfunction in several thousand rounds in actual field conditions. I have also run it out to 1200 yards with consistent hits on a man sized steel silhouette. Bx3

30. Post #20

Thanks

Irons, you need to look at the difference in velocity between 16" and 18" in 308. It's a lot. I have both and like my 18" more. On my rifles, you're giving up between 150 and 200fps for that 2 inches, which really starts to hurt at range.

BW, I'm sure the REPR is more reliable than the GAP, but the GAP is pretty dang reliable, orders of magnitude better than anything from Armalite, much less RRA or (gag) DPMS.

I wouldn't look at the 300 blackout at all, its only advantage is that it works in a standard AR15. It's pretty much a modernized 7.62x39. Not at all a bad cartridge, but when compared to a 308 we're talking stock camaro vs. corvette here.

31. Post #21

Deep Sixed
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Beef View Post
    Irons, you need to look at the difference in velocity between 16" and 18" in 308. It's a lot. I have both and like my 18" more. On my rifles, you're giving up between 150 and 200fps for that 2 inches, which really starts to hurt at range.

BW, I'm sure the REPR is more reliable than the GAP, but the GAP is pretty dang reliable, orders of magnitude better than anything from Armalite, much less RRA or (gag) DPMS.

I wouldn't look at the 300 blackout at all, its only advantage is that it works in a standard AR15. It's pretty much a modernized 7.62x39. Not at all a bad cartridge, but when compared to a 308 we're talking stock camaro vs. corvette here.
    I hear you my friend from Texas but this is Northern Michigan, long range in my neck of the woods is maybe 150 yards.

Our long guns are gathering dust, my customized 308 mauser with a cut down mag-na-ported barrel is the weapon of choice here along with short ported Marlin 30-30 and .444 lever rifles. Guide guns they call 'em.

Power is good, longer is just bulky and hits on branches and blinds.

32. Post #22

Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 921 Posts

Irons FWIW i have found most wife/female units really appreciate the quick adjustable stocks so they can adjust the rifles pull length to their shorter statures

I personally dislike them due to most do not give me a intuitive cheek weld

So if the wife unit is going to approve/shoot the gun you might reconsider a adjustable stock

I own a couple of older DPMS's in 308 and have had no issues......still got one new in the case as a spare

33. Post #23

Deep Sixed
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    Irons FWIW i have found most wife/female units really appreciate the quick adjustable stocks so they can adjust the rifles pull length to their shorter statures

I personally dislike them due to most do not give me a intuitive cheek weld

So if the wife unit is going to approve/shoot the gun you might reconsider a adjustable stock

I own a couple of older DPMS's in 308 and have had no issues......still got one new in the case as a spare
    Oh no not this time! She takes all of my good guns or makes me feel guilty for using them myself.

I'm old and ornery enough this one's going to be mine, mine, mine!

Like the big Chief said, I have spoken.

34. Post #24

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irons View Post
    Oh no not this time! She takes all of my good guns or makes me feel guilty for using them myself.

I'm old and ornery enough this one's going to be mine, mine, mine!

Like the big Chief said, I have spoken.
    You trying to convince her, us or yourself?

One out of three aint bad...

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eat Beef For This Useful Post:

smooth (09-01-2012), ttazzman (08-31-2012)

36. Post #25

Thanks

Beef, not knocking the GAP or OBR by any means. They are top tier platforms and amongst the most accurate rifles available anywhere..........they are just not AK reliable. Bx3

37. Post #26

Found a silver nugget Prospector
    Thanks

LMT MWS or OBR

38. Post #27

Found a silver nugget Prospector
    Thanks

KAC would be the most $$$

LMT is battle proven