Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: EMP proofing a home generator?

1. Post #1

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner funk's Avatar
    Thanks

Default EMP proofing a home generator?

I have a generator that I would like to be usable, even if there is a solar flare or EMP. Does the panel think it would work to build a wooden box and then wrap said box in aluminum and copper sheeting? The box would be roughly 48" cubed and cost about $300 in materials.

2. Post #2

Thanks
    Thanked 4,693 Times in 1,557 Posts

Default Re: EMP proofing a home generator?

This a portable generator ?

I doubt it would be hurt as long as it wasn't grounded or connected to your home at the time of "the event".

Even a whole house generator with a transfer switch I don't think would be affected, unless possibly the ground is permanently connected.

Things that would be affected, from what I understand, are fragile electronics, and things connected to the grid, where the long wiring acts as an antennae.
    "Fiat money is the child of the arrogance of human intellect, which has sought to invalidate the laws of human nature which have regarded the precious metals as money for thousands of years, and sought to substitute an intellectual construct for the real thing. Now we are going to pay for that arrogance." Hugo Salinas Price

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TnAndy For This Useful Post:

funk (09-21-2012), GOLD DUCK (09-21-2012), Ragnarok (09-20-2012)

4. Post #3

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Default EMP proofing generator?

Easy.
    Just UNPLUG it.
    With no long wires plugged in, it is a small target, and will not pick up much, if any RF energy.

5. Post #4

Gold Member+
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,315 Times in 806 Posts

We were taught in the military to bury (place in hole, etc.) such items, to protect them from EMP.
    The US Government was designed to prevent people from killing and stealing our property.

But today, the government kills and takes our property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Treasure Searcher For This Useful Post:

funk (09-21-2012)

7. Post #5

Thanks
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,001 Posts

Hey the Funk,
    That plan should work IMHO.
    And like Tn says, not connected I would think.
    I have a small ( 16" x 16 " ) homemade box made out of copper sheets and covered with foil.
    Crude, you would laugh if you saw it I would think. Has a top like a shoe box.
    In it I have some small stuff...shortwave, 2way radios, etc.
    I have been inside many telco buildings ( some almost completely buried underground ) that have poured concrete walls
    that are 16" to 24" thick and the entire underground structure has a copper sheeting on it to help thwart EMP.
    Many of them built in the 50's and 60's also had " blast " detectors.
    Further, I will ad that I have bid various KBR projects in the last few years where extensive preps have been made to outfit
    the structures with EMP protections.
    Our own military is expending mucho $ to protect stuff from EMP.
    One project that comes to mind was one to retrofit some older AM radio towers for DHS for " emergency com "
    I thought it was interesting the side note on one of the pages the hookup for the " Future EMP proof generator "
    or something of the sort.
    Got my attention that one.
    On the other side of it, have you seen any of those myth buster vids where those guys simulate an EM pulse on a
    Taurus or some other late model ? I watched a few....and then built my box anyways.
    Talk to you a little later.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hystckndle For This Useful Post:

funk (09-21-2012)

9. Post #6

They all look good through beer goggles... CiscoKid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,382 Times in 1,115 Posts

I have a Generac permanently installed on my house. It's not possible to cover it with a box because it turns itself on and runs for 12 minutes once a week and will need to be able to get air and expel exhaust. Sure would like it to still be running after an EMP. All my guitar amps are tube so they'll survive an EMP just fine.
    Ineptocracy (in-ept-o-cra-cy)a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

10. Post #7

Thanks

from the posts above,,,,,its is clear there is confusion about EMP AND CME,,,,it is very hard to protect anything electrical from a weapon design to produce a EMP,,,,.harden telco sites, is crap, as long as there is a telco cable or electric cable to the outside world it aint EMP proof. EMP weapons can produce a 100,000 v pulse which can fry the coils in any tube amp unplugged from the grid......also there appears to be protection from pulses for off grid depending on the orientation of the electrical device to the pulse.....cars will fair better than most think,,,,,. as far as CME's go if you are off grid your electronics will be ok. JMFO?

11. Post #8

Thanks
    Thanked 4,093 Times in 1,795 Posts

Funk,

Your design will work fine. I have a major prob with it, though:

Should not cost anywhere NEAR $300. What the hell are you using for grounding material... melted K-rands?

Lowe's prices (just go there and check):

7 2X4's @$2 each. There's your cube frame with a braced-bottom. Cost: $14

24 pcs 12x24 galvanized 26- gauge sheet metal @ $6 each: $144

2' rebar 3/8" thick: $2

Metal hose clamp: $3.50

Coil of solder: $10

If you don't feel like soldering the galvanized panels together (and it would be too much of a bother for me) just use metal tape, leaving no gaps.

100' metal tape: $13.

You prolly awreddy have some of the above stuff, but if you start absolutely from scratch, it still comes out to only $173.50 to $176.50.

12. Post #9

Thanks
    Thanked 1,265 Times in 688 Posts

The electromagnetic effects of a solar flare are long waves, fields changing on the order of seconds, tens or maybe a hundred volts per meter electric field strength.

The pulse from a nuclear weapon is a sharp edge, fields rising in nanoseconds (billionths of a second) with lingering eddy currents for a few seconds after, E-field strengths reaching tens of thousands of V/m. Very different beast.

Quote Originally Posted by funk View Post
    if there is a solar flare
    Just unplug it. Long wire = long antenna = more power collected. If you're plugged in, the device will "see" the wiring all the way through your house and out to the transformer (plus whatever effects get through the x-former from the other side).

That said, you've lived through dozens of solar flares already in your life. Nothing Carrington-sized, granted, but still some big-'uns.

or EMP.
    US Army Technical Manual TM5-690: "GROUNDING AND BONDING IN COMMAND, CONTROL, COMMUNICATIONS, COMPUTER, INTELLIGENCE, SURVEILLANCE, AND RECONNAISSANCE (C4ISR) FACILITIES"

http://armypubs.army.mil/eng/DR_pubs...df/tm5_690.pdf

(^^ note the above is a link to a .pdf document.)

You want chapter 5.

13. Post #10

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

How old is the genny? all solid state or relays and resistors? A model number would help a lot, but if it's an oldie it'll be fine - newer gennys will be wrecked unless you do a simple faraday cage - even then, you can almost certainly resurrect it with old tech - mechanical governer, etc.

14. Post #11

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,046 Times in 2,663 Posts

Buy some thin lead foil and make a blanket out of it.

15. Post #12

Thanks
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,001 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by obilly View Post
    from the posts above,,,,,its is clear there is confusion about EMP AND CME,,,,it is very hard to protect anything electrical from a weapon design to produce a EMP,,,,.harden telco sites, is crap, as long as there is a telco cable or electric cable to the outside world it aint EMP proof. EMP weapons can produce a 100,000 v pulse which can fry the coils in any tube amp unplugged from the grid......also there appears to be protection from pulses for off grid depending on the orientation of the electrical device to the pulse.....cars will fair better than most think,,,,,. as far as CME's go if you are off grid your electronics will be ok. JMFO?
    Nahh...I would not say the millions I have seen spent ( many times just on one project ) and participated in per the pdf mil spec ( and redundant mods and addendums to it...good golly they have their ideas they do ) above is crap.
    But then again, it ain't been tested either. Heh.
    Agreed, very difficult to know what the overall ramifications might be.
    What I am seeing is more and more portable hook up to and small stuff in areas for a line of sight daisy chain com set up after some type of problemo.
    .Gov can sure spend the money.
    I am just gonna settle with my smaller boxes. Working on a foot locker size one now. Glad this thread came up.
    Regards to all.
    Made it to the " strong" end of the week.

16. Post #13

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner funk's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for the good info, all kinds of knowledge here once you scratch the surface.

Unca, my cost was based on copper foil and a soild plywood cube. The copper is overkill, but it is still investing money into a semi precious metal. With a large plywood box, I could stuff other things in the voids.

17. Post #14

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hystckndle View Post
    Hey the Funk,
    That plan should work IMHO.
    And like Tn says, not connected I would think.
    I have a small ( 16" x 16 " ) homemade box made out of copper sheets and covered with foil.
    Crude, you would laugh if you saw it I would think. Has a top like a shoe box.
    In it I have some small stuff...shortwave, 2way radios, etc.
    I have been inside many telco buildings ( some almost completely buried underground ) that have poured concrete walls
    that are 16" to 24" thick and the entire underground structure has a copper sheeting on it to help thwart EMP.
    Many of them built in the 50's and 60's also had " blast " detectors.
    Further, I will ad that I have bid various KBR projects in the last few years where extensive preps have been made to outfit
    the structures with EMP protections.
    Our own military is expending mucho $ to protect stuff from EMP.
    One project that comes to mind was one to retrofit some older AM radio towers for DHS for " emergency com "
    I thought it was interesting the side note on one of the pages the hookup for the " Future EMP proof generator "
    or something of the sort.
    Got my attention that one.
    On the other side of it, have you seen any of those myth buster vids where those guys simulate an EM pulse on a
    Taurus or some other late model ? I watched a few....and then built my box anyways.
    Talk to you a little later.
    Hey Hystckndle

During the AT&T breakup from Bell Companies, in the early 80s, I was part of a team that inventoried these Bunkered Telcos, along the East Coast. I thought it was cool how every frame, rather than bolted in, was strapped up with huge rubber bands to withstand a close by nuclear explosion.

AWD
    Last edited by anywoundedduck; 09-21-2012 at 08:55 PM.
    THERE IS NO LAW ENFORCEMENT: Criminal misconduct has become the norm for Wall Street Banksters. No laws are enforced for selling enormous supply without metal. The media reports none of this, as they are owned and controlled by the crooks. The Fiscal Cliff has long been breached, and the US Economy along with the dollar is soon to be a grease spot at the foot of this supposed Fiscal Cliff. Got Silver? Got Gold?