Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sailboat, The Ultimate Bug out Location

1. Post #1

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner chewy's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Sailboat, The Ultimate Bug out Location

Lately, after moving to Florida where I see marina after marina full of sailboats, and knowing friends who have lived on sailboats for extended periods, I am starting to think that a sailboat may be the ultimate bug out location for so many reasons.

1 - Safety. It is a lot easier to see another boat coming while out on the water than it is to see a person coming to your cabin in the woods.

2 - unlimited food and water. With a small solar panel, a reverse osmosis water-maker, a fishing pole and a few vegetable plants on deck, you have unlimited healthy food and water. You can use the fish guts for fertilizer for the plants.

3 - much less likely to get picked up by fema.

4 - go 3 miles offshore and you are away from US rule.

5 - it's the ultimate movable bug out location, even if **** never hits the fan, you can keep it docked nearby, and use it for recreation.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

-Thomas Jefferson

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chewy For This Useful Post:

CopperSilverGold (09-30-2012), Mr Paradise (09-30-2012)

3. Post #2

Thanks
    Thanked 5,038 Times in 2,503 Posts

Default Re: Sailboat, The Ultimate Bug out Location

Just wondering, have you ever been in the Army or the Navy? Generally when "in the field" in the Army or "at sea" I guess it would be in the Navy, somebody is "on duty" or pulling security duty all the time - 24 / 7. During the day on a small sailboat you may be fine, you can work and look around you, so you would have some early warning. Remember, your senario is that you are on the open ocean - there is no "hiding". What about in the evenings and at night? Who would be on watch? if there are two of you, that's half the night each. In the army, we would sometimes do it at squad level, an hour apiece, and they still fell asleep during that hour when the weather was bad [cold] or they were very tired from lack of sleep, and the concequences were severe - a human can take only so much sleep deprevation, and every person has their own limit. So security would be one problem. A faster boat would be another. If someone comes after you with more men and a faster boat, what are you going to do about it? You may have early warning, but do you out gun them? Have more men? Range of weapons? These are some of the historic problems of the sea.

Think about the Caribean, there is a pirate problem today and always has been - pleasure sailors get taken all the time, easy pickings.
    They murder mom and pop tourist, or grandma and grandpa retiree, and steal the fancy gear and cash. Gets blamed on "drug trafficers".

I have thought about boats too, but not on the ocean - I was thinking a small low profile boat that you could camo along the overgrown shore in a rural area, in my case along the Ohio. Then you could move it at night if your current area became "hot". I don't know how you can hide on the open sea.

4. Post #3

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gringott View Post
    Just wondering, have you ever been in the Army or the Navy? Generally when "in the field" in the Army or "at sea" I guess it would be in the Navy, somebody is "on duty" or pulling security duty all the time - 24 / 7. During the day on a small sailboat you may be fine, you can work and look around you, so you would have some early warning. Remember, your senario is that you are on the open ocean - there is no "hiding". What about in the evenings and at night? Who would be on watch? if there are two of you, that's half the night each. In the army, we would sometimes do it at squad level, an hour apiece, and they still fell asleep during that hour when the weather was bad [cold] or they were very tired from lack of sleep, and the concequences were severe - a human can take only so much sleep deprevation, and every person has their own limit. So security would be one problem. A faster boat would be another. If someone comes after you with more men and a faster boat, what are you going to do about it? You may have early warning, but do you out gun them? Have more men? Range of weapons? These are some of the historic problems of the sea.

Think about the Caribean, there is a pirate problem today and always has been - pleasure sailors get taken all the time, easy pickings.
    They murder mom and pop tourist, or grandma and grandpa retiree, and steal the fancy gear and cash. Gets blamed on "drug trafficers".

I have thought about boats too, but not on the ocean - I was thinking a small low profile boat that you could camo along the overgrown shore in a rural area, in my case along the Ohio. Then you could move it at night if your current area became "hot". I don't know how you can hide on the open sea.
    I see some of your points but I'm not sure that I would compare it to wartime experience. If things do get bad, and the grocery stores empty and there are roving bands of people going across the land and robbing and killing, I would rather be at sea, where there's a hell of a lot less people and I know I have guaranteed food and water. Plus, I would sail down the the Costa Rica area, or somewhere else more safe and stable than the US.

Sure, you might get attacked, but that goes true for any place you decide to bug out to. It's not like I am just planning on dropping the anchor a mile off the coast and waiting for someone to try to find me, I will be planning the next place to go, but at least I will be fed and mobile.

Plus, whatever the government situation is when SHTF, I am sure they are going to be too busy with stuff going on land, in the cities, to worry about rounding up the 1/100,000 that took to sea on boats.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

-Thomas Jefferson

5. Post #4

Thanks

its a little harder than you make out, and you are not going to cultivate any plants on your deck, lol.

get a subscription to Cruising World magazine.

you can single hand some cruising sailboats but it is far from easy. even a couple pulling alternating watches is a challenge. risks include collisions with freighters, pirates, government interdiction, weather, petty theft.

the mobility is definitely real, and while you provide yourself some self reliance in other ways you become far more interconnected and dependant on the outside world for things such as food, fuel, and supplies (sail boat parts, etc.)

that said, you can cruise to parts of the world that the PTB have little interest in - south pacific for example. of course, things can change on a dime, and so for example during WWII Europe and the South Pacific were not particularly good places to be, but South America was probably not too bad.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiat Metaler For This Useful Post:

Bigfoot (09-30-2012)

7. Post #5

Thanks
    Thanked 18,926 Times in 8,630 Posts

Chewy.......I think you might enjoy this site:

http://www.pacificsailors.com

It's pretty interesting. Nothing to do with SHTF.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to searcher For This Useful Post:

chewy (09-30-2012)

9. Post #6

Thanks

I was in Tahiti back in 1980. I was drinking at a bar on a small sailboat in the harbor, and I remarked to the bartender about all the small sailboats in the harbor, there were hundreds. [These were small to my eye - I'm not a sailor]. He stated they were from people who had a dream to live on a sailboat and sail 'around the world', when they made the harbor at Papeete they got on a jet airliner and hauled a$$ home. Things may be different now with electronic gear like gps etc, however, I think a lot of people have trouble with the real deal of 24 hour manning the wheel / watch etc, that was the point I was trying to make. I would be worried about sailing the coast off Central America now, never mind if TSHTF. Better be well armed, if they let you. Compared to survival on land if TSHTF? I don't know, too many what ifs.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gringott For This Useful Post:

Ebie (09-30-2012), searcher (09-30-2012)

11. Post #7

Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 778 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chewy View Post
    I am starting to think that a sailboat may be the ultimate bug out location for so many reasons.
    Hmm....maybe. Can you swim? Have you spent time out on the ocean yet? Can the other people you are bringing swim? If not, make sure you and they learn to. And if you're not familiar with coastal and sea navigation, then that's another thing you'll need to master.

It is a lot easier to see another boat coming while out on the water than it is to see a person coming to your cabin in the woods.
    How about at night? How about in the fog? How about in rough seas?

2 - unlimited food and water.
    IF your water-maker doesn't fail. IF your solar panel doesn't break. IF the wiring doesn't corrode. Remember now, on the sea all this gear is being shaken 24/7 and is receiving salt spray.

a fishing pole
    You'll need more than one.

a few vegetable plants on deck
    If somehow they don't wash away when a wave comes over the bow, then they better be salt spray resistant.

you have unlimited healthy food and water.
    Ah, assuming everything goes exactly as planned. But, weather and equipment, and fish don't follow people plans. I'd take some extra water along, and some vitamins, and some extra food.

True, better to die at sea than in a Fema camp.

The US contiguous zone now goes out to 24 nautical miles.

Safety.
    LOL!!! Man, where to start... Okay, I'll mention a couple things I have personally experienced.

Running a ground.
    Capsizing.
    Engine failure.
    Leaks of all types.
    Bilge pump failure.
    Mast cracking.
    Lightning storms.
    Waterspout dodging.
    Hitting floating debris.
    Broken radio antenna. (Oh, bring duct tape! )
    Sea trash getting tangled in the prop.
    Corrosion, massive amounts of corrosion.
    Avoiding being run over by larger vessels.

Tons of other things to consider, here are just a few...

-Firearms
    -Passports
    -Back up communications
    -Back up navigation gear
    -First Aid
    -Medicine
    -Money

Make sure you have quick access to your emergency floatation stuff, so that it doesn't go down with the ship. Personally, I'd also take a thick wetsuit or drysuit to boost the amount of time you can float before hypothermia sets in. You lose body heat 25-30 times faster in water than in air; it's a big enough problem in tropical water survival, and it's absolutely hazardous in cold water.

5 - it's the ultimate movable bug out location
    Yes, IF you're super careful. At the very least, you'll be in for some adventures.
    Last edited by Bigfoot; 09-30-2012 at 11:07 AM.

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bigfoot For This Useful Post:

Alex Lemas (09-30-2012), Canadian-guerilla (09-30-2012), Ebie (09-30-2012), keef (09-30-2012), Lt Dan (09-30-2012), Mr Paradise (09-30-2012), Ragnarok (09-30-2012), RealJack (09-30-2012), searcher (09-30-2012), SongSungAU (09-30-2012), Unca Walt (09-30-2012)

13. Post #8

Thanks

Thought this was kinda neat. Liveaboard Life:

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to searcher For This Useful Post:

Cigarlover (09-30-2012), Fiat Metaler (09-30-2012), Ishkabibble (09-30-2012)

15. Post #9

Gold Member+
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,049 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by searcher View Post
    Thought this was kinda neat. Liveaboard Life
    Her life aboard ship is much more challenging than one in the outback, even with good fuel and parts availability. I think back to my RV, which can go almost anywhere, and which is much less visible out back than at sea. I face similar challenges to her, though not to as significant a degree.

If you seriously intend to bug out in a sailboat, visit the archives at ClubOrlov.com. The gentleman lived through the soviet collapse. He's spent years preparing for the collapse he sees coming in the US, and he's chosen a sailboat as his means. He is both knowledgeable and experienced; I have been following his posts since 2009. He ruggedized his sailboat and you'll have to do the same. They aren't made for constant operation without constant repair.

Edit: Here's one of Orlov's posts about his sailing experience. http://cluborlov.blogspot.ca/2011/03...-accident.html
    Last edited by Ishkabibble; 09-30-2012 at 12:32 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ishkabibble For This Useful Post:

searcher (09-30-2012)

17. Post #10

Thanks
    Thanked 1,884 Times in 1,108 Posts

Why be at the mercy of the waves when you can be safe/secure under water?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sub.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	23971

"Hey, Buddy! Which way to Cuba???"

18. Post #11

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gringott View Post
    I was in Tahiti back in 1980. I was drinking at a bar on a small sailboat in the harbor, and I remarked to the bartender about all the small sailboats in the harbor, there were hundreds. [These were small to my eye - I'm not a sailor]. He stated they were from people who had a dream to live on a sailboat and sail 'around the world', when they made the harbor at Papeete they got on a jet airliner and hauled a$$ home. Things may be different now with electronic gear like gps etc, however, I think a lot of people have trouble with the real deal of 24 hour manning the wheel / watch etc, that was the point I was trying to make. I would be worried about sailing the coast off Central America now, never mind if TSHTF. Better be well armed, if they let you. Compared to survival on land if TSHTF? I don't know, too many what ifs.

Where's HATTER when you need him? Call that bar and see how many boats are currently abandoned in the harbor. Might be worth a road trip.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keef For This Useful Post:

Gold Rules (09-30-2012), gringott (09-30-2012), searcher (09-30-2012)

20. Post #12

Thanks

if you want to read some interesting stuff, read the blog about the Barraveigh. Dude in his late 30's walks away from the U.S. bought a used 48' foot yacht, probably cost in the ballpark of $150,000. dream was to sail around the world. had a few buddies join him for the first year or so, and wrote a few articles for Escape From American online mag. Had some intersting adventures. just around the time he loses his last shipmate, he meets a blonde from London in Costa Rica and they fall in love. long story short they sail around the world together. you have to read the blog to find out what happens next - i won't ruin it - but if you are interested in sailing its quite interesting and a true story.

i met a guy who actually did this. He was probably late 50s, i met him on a tourist boat in paris 2 years ago. told me shortly after he married his wife, they set sail around the world from California. 13 years later they had the boat drydocked in Tunisia for winter repairs and painting; they had spent almost their entire married life at sea. They had just flown from tunisia to paris to run a few errands etc. a few months ago i came across his boat for sale online. turns out his wife had had breast cancer and had died after i met them in paris; he had too many memories in the boat and was selling it. so life goes on while at sea.

a lot of people never consider sailing as an option, becuase they are too tied to conventionality. if you are on this forum, you are unconventional. they also think it is too expensive or too hard. well, a good cruising boat costs as much as your house, but you have fewer bills like takes or utilities, and you don't need your house anymore. cruising is not easy, but its a skill that can be mastered in a few months if you have half a brain. there are folks in their 60s and 70s crusising around the world in very modest yachts.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fiat Metaler For This Useful Post:

Gold Rules (09-30-2012), searcher (09-30-2012)

22. Post #13

Thanks

Interview with a liveaboard - part 1 of 3

23. Post #14

Thanks

If you're interested - here's a link to the Barraveigh's log

Letters From The Blue Water - The Log Of The Yacht Barraveigh

www.escapeartist.com/efam/78/Blue_Waters.html

Edit: Thought some might find this interesting

http://waterwayradio.net
    Last edited by searcher; 09-30-2012 at 01:39 PM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to searcher For This Useful Post:

chewy (10-01-2012), Fiat Metaler (09-30-2012)

25. Post #15

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

What ever happened to that super duper ship that was going to be built and sail around the world continuously with like thousands of people,its own airport etc etc?

26. Post #16

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by northfarmer View Post
    What ever happened to that super duper ship that was going to be built and sail around the world continuously with like thousands of people,its own airport etc etc?
    Last I heard it ran into some Chinese Fishing Trawlers off the coast of those Daywou Islands and was melted down to make imported woks. a-sooo

27. Post #17

Thanks

Lol,only them chinks would be able to build this:

http://www.freedomship.com/

28. Post #18

Thanks

29. Post #19

Thanks

read a casey research article that said a convereted cruise ship is going to launch in a year off the coast of silcon valley as a sort of freedom p.t. community.

30. Post #20

Thanks
    Thanked 4,518 Times in 1,951 Posts

A tip o' the hat to bigfoot --

I completely understand the romantic theme of posh sailboat living... unfortunately, that concept is all Hollywood.

The sea was really calm one night. (Titanic) Probably has been just as calm perhaps twice more since then

My pore alabaster body underwent the (*joy*) of having to spend a week on a rag-hauler.

Being on a sailboat is like being in prison with a chance of drowning. Oh. And the guards beat you incessantly; sometimes really roughly.

The THIRD DAY INNA ROW that the fargin bow was submerged half the time, and up in the air half the time, those prison guards working every minute of the 24-day on me...

You kin bug out thataway, but I will come along witcha ONLY as far as the first barely habitable island.

31. Post #21

Modal Operator/Moderator Goldhedge's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,871 Times in 6,834 Posts

Heck... just join the NAVY and get assigned to the USS Enterprise ...

"...a Republic, if you can keep it!" Ben Franklin

Derivatives are contracts whose value is derived from stocks, bonds, loans, currencies and
    commodities, or linked to specific events such as changes in interest rates or the weather.

"Money is the future idea of value." Armstrong

"Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance." Sun Tzu
    Be the change you want to see in the world. Gandhi

32. Post #22

Thanks

Lol,only them chinks would be able to build this:

http://www.freedomship.com/
    The day the Chinese government commisions, 'Freedom Ships' is the day I hock my chinese toaster for a real product made in the usa.

They might build 'Freedom Gulags' so their slaves can **** in the ocean while they sew Nike tennis shoes 12 hours a day.

33. Post #23

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unca Walt View Post
    A tip o' the hat to bigfoot --

I completely understand the romantic theme of posh sailboat living... unfortunately, that concept is all Hollywood.

You kin bug out thataway, but I will come along witcha ONLY as far as the first barely habitable island.
    Gilligan's Island. The bugout destination of choice:

Name:	gilligan.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	23980

(I can't see too good without me readers, is that Gilligan's thumb that's stickin up?)

34. The Following User Says Thank You to keef For This Useful Post:

searcher (09-30-2012)

35. Post #24

Thanks
    Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,822 Posts

I was a fan of these guys

Own the Marina. If you need one there will be many boats to chose from.
    One Shot At Glory
    Driving hard and seeing red
    Destiny calls me
    One night of fire
    One Shot At Glory

36. Post #25

Thanks

Thanks for posting the videos, much appreciated.

I have decided, I would much rather live an adventure on a sailboat, and deal with the potential dangers than sit in a cabin in the woods staring at a wall of #10 mountain house cans worrying about every noise i hear or shadow i see.

Sure, I might get boarded by pirates, sure I might die, but these things can happen in a cabin in the woods too.

My goal is to start saving for a good sailboat, start taking classes, and learn everything there is to learn about living on a sailboat.

I was acquainted with a guy in Hawaii, who had lived on his sailboat for 7 years and he was docking in Hawaii for a couple months and then going back out for a couple more years, stopping at interesting places along the way. It just seems like more of a life than dealing with SHTF on land.

It might not be for everyone, but I am determined to learn more. Seems there are lots of people out there who get rid of the mortgage and the car payments and buy a sailboat and a couple bicycles....

-Thomas Jefferson

37. Post #26

Thanks

I have decided, I would much rather live an adventure on a sailboat, and deal with the potential dangers than sit in a cabin in the woods staring at a wall of #10 mountain house cans worrying about every noise i hear or shadow i see.

Sure, I might get boarded by pirates, sure I might die, but these things can happen in a cabin in the woods too.

My goal is to start saving for a good sailboat, start taking classes, and learn everything there is to learn about living on a sailboat.

I was acquainted with a guy in Hawaii, who had lived on his sailboat for 7 years and he was docking in Hawaii for a couple months and then going back out for a couple more years, stopping at interesting places along the way. It just seems like more of a life than dealing with SHTF on land.

It might not be for everyone, but I am determined to learn more. Seems there are lots of people out there who get rid of the mortgage and the car payments and buy a sailboat and a couple bicycles....
    Youtube has tons of stuff on sailing, sailboats, etc. You can also do a google search on "free online navigation courses." Might be suprised at what comes up.
    Another good site is:
    http://oldsaltblog.com

Good luck.

38. Post #27

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goldhedge View Post
    Heck... just join the NAVY and get assigned to the USS Enterprise ...

You can also wear neat uniforms

Name:	108486_admiral_bi&#103.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	23983

39. Post #28

Intergalactic Silver Guru Strawboss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,432 Times in 1,333 Posts

If you do in fact go this route - I would strongly suggest a .50 caliber with a mount and lots and lots of ammo.

40. Post #29

Thanks

You can also wear neat uniforms

Name:	108486_admiral_bi&#103.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	23983
    You just know a couple of mid-evel homosexuals designed that outfit.

41. Post #30

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keef View Post
    You just know a couple of mid-evel homosexuals designed that outfit.

ROTFLMAO........................

42. Post #31

Gold Member+
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,049 Posts

In that case, start by finding a local sailing club. See if you can find a member willing to take you on a 3-4 day expedition. Live the adventure and let experience provide your certainty. I know many people who invested more than 100 grand into a motorhome, only to wish they'd bought something different - a 5th wheel or other model. Keep that in mind when you pick the boat. Take it on an extended journey, or rent a similar one and try that. Once you have dropped your wad, it's hard to get it back. No regrets dude... and all the best!

43. Post #32

Thanks

[QUOTE=chewy;436027]Lately, after moving to Florida where I see marina after marina full of sailboats, and knowing friends who have lived on sailboats for extended periods, I am starting to think that a sailboat may be the ultimate bug out location for so many reasons.

when I was in my teens, I lived in Coconut Grove Fl. I met an old man that sailed from there to Tahiti in a ketch he and his brother built.

he said the trip was great going thru the "Canal" to the Pacific, but crossing the pacific his brother got appendicitis and had to be air lifted to a south American hospital where he died. He had to solo 900 miles to Tahiti.

Nuf said bub.

44. Post #33

Thanks

[QUOTE=orovicino;436246]
    Lately, after moving to Florida where I see marina after marina full of sailboats, and knowing friends who have lived on sailboats for extended periods, I am starting to think that a sailboat may be the ultimate bug out location for so many reasons.

when I was in my teens, I lived in Coconut Grove Fl. I met an old man that sailed from there to Tahiti in a ketch he and his brother built.

he said the trip was great going thru the "Canal" to the Pacific, but crossing the pacific his brother got appendicitis and had to be air lifted to a south American hospital where he died. He had to solo 900 miles to Tahiti.

Nuf said bub.
    How is that nuff said? How would he have been in any better shape if he was hiding in his bug out location in the woods, post SHTF, when leaving BOL was not an option, not that there were any hospitals to go to anyway?

If the old mans story was that he and his brother hiked deep into the woods one summer, to get away from society, and while deep in the woods brother got appendicitis, and died - would you then surmise that living in the woods was not an option? cause an old guy you met 30 years agos brother had a bad experience? come on now......

At least in a boat I would have the option of sailing to a hospital in another country if I got sick.....
    Last edited by chewy; 09-30-2012 at 05:53 PM.

-Thomas Jefferson

45. Post #34

Thanks

Something to think about. If TSHTF then pretty much the whole world is ****ed. Where would you land? Islands would be starving and you'd be dinner. Mainlands would not be any better and you'd be an outsider.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to mtnman For This Useful Post:

Ebie (09-30-2012)

47. Post #35

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner Someone_else's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ishkabibble View Post
    Keep that in mind when you pick the boat. Take it on an extended journey, or rent a similar one and try that. Once you have dropped your wad, it's hard to get it back. No regrets dude... and all the best!
    I have never owned a boat, but my past includes two airplanes. Here are two very popular sayings:
    "Your two happiest days will be the day you buy it and the day you sell it."
    "Three F's. If it Floats, Flies, or Fornicates -- Rent!"

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Someone_else For This Useful Post:

Cigarlover (10-01-2012), gringott (09-30-2012), Unca Walt (10-01-2012)

49. Post #36

Thanks

Thought this was kinda neat. Liveaboard Life:

that is a nice little video, and i salute that young lady for going out there and doing it.

on the other hand, that is a tiny boat, and not really a bluewater vessel. you are not going to go around that world in that one unless you are an expert. if you looked close at the map, they sailed from miami to the bahamas, which you can do in a speed boat in a couple of hours. a large sail boat might average close to 8 knots; hers probably half that.

she's having a small temporary adventure; she is close to shore, etc. its not exactly a liveaboard situation.

50. Post #37

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 897 Posts

In vexillum of angelus quod liberi ... nos vadum reperio fidelis

51. Post #38

Thanks

1 - Safety. It is a lot easier to see another boat coming while out on the water than it is to see a person coming to your cabin in the woods.

2 - unlimited food and water. With a small solar panel, a reverse osmosis water-maker, a fishing pole and a few vegetable plants on deck, you have unlimited healthy food and water. You can use the fish guts for fertilizer for the plants.

5 - it's the ultimate movable bug out location, even if **** never hits the fan, you can keep it docked nearby, and use it for recreation.
    Floating Target.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boat_fire_web.jpg  
    The objective is not to die for our freedom, but to make them die for our freedom.

52. Post #39

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 683 Posts

http://www.freedomship.com/freedomsh...e/voyage.shtml

I see they're avoiding the Indian Ocean. Can you just imagine a Somali pirate spotting that??!
    =========

The necessity of oil is the mother of intervention.

53. Post #40

Found a way in
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fiat Metaler View Post
    that is a nice little video, and i salute that young lady for going out there and doing it.

on the other hand, that is a tiny boat, and not really a bluewater vessel. you are not going to go around that world in that one unless you are an expert. if you looked close at the map, they sailed from miami to the bahamas, which you can do in a speed boat in a couple of hours. a large sail boat might average close to 8 knots; hers probably half that.

she's having a small temporary adventure; she is close to shore, etc. its not exactly a liveaboard situation.
    Actually, it's a Nor'sea 27 designed by Lyle Hess as a trailerable "bluewater" cruiser and is one of the more capable small boats you could choose for such an undertaking. Many Nor'seas have circumnavigated and done ocean crossings (http://bluewaterboats.org/norsea-27/).

Daphne (the boat) was actually sold and the girl in the video has a new "mate" and they are shopping for a bigger boat (http://sailingsimplicity.com/shopping-for-boats/) for two. They are, what most would consider, "experts." It's interesting, in the context of the feasibility of a full-time live aboard, to follow their thinking process.

Personally, my thinking is a small boat might be a viable bug-out vehicle to a safer terrestrial location, assuming there is such a destination (perhaps friends or family in another country?). But long-term survivability at sea, without help from others, is unrealistic. Ocean passages, however heroic, always end with a landing in port and some extensive re-provisioning (food, water or parts for water maker--although rainwater can be collected depending on location/season, supplies, equipment--it wears out fast at sea, etc.) Even the guy that just non-stop circumnavigated the Americas (http://www.solotheamericas.org/) had to be re-provisioned 3 times for equipment failure and literally limped into port after 27,000+ miles and 309 days at sea--a record-setting (and incredible) feat very few of us mortals could even imagine.

54. The Following User Says Thank You to vancouver25 For This Useful Post:

searcher (10-01-2012)

55. Post #41

GIM Statesman
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,007 Times in 1,579 Posts

how about gilligans island ?
    IF YA CANT DAZZLE THEM WITH BRILLIANCE BAFFLE THEM WITH BULLsh!t.

56. Post #42

Found a silver nugget Prospector Nero's Avatar
    Thanks

Name:	once_upon_a_time_1.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	24017

I never quite understand why people assume that when TSHF happens the world will end for everybody on the planet and that nowhere is going to be as safe as here in the us. The 1st,2nd and many 3rd world societies may collapse and many may die but in other parts of the world the effects will be much more minor. You look at all the really poor countries of the world, countries that don't get ANY AID FROM ANYBODY.....what happens to their lives? Not all poor countries import huge amounts of food, they can and do grow much of their own. They already aren't buying imported goods because they make $2.25 a day, so they won't miss something they have never had anyway. If the country has any oil/gas production now we are in decent shape. Now I am sure that I am missing many pitfalls....... but do you really think that an area that has food growing on trees with an ocean with fish in it and a population used to having nothing already would be as dangerous as here in the us?
    On a sailboat you do have the choice of when to get the Fuk out of dodge and where to go when you do.
    Very few traffic jams stopping you leaving on a boat.
    Water makers changed everything.

57. Post #43

Thanks

First off I know little about boats. FWIW Rawles sez they are not good SHTF locales. And if almost anything breaks, it can be an emergency. And on sailboats, you are at the mercy of the wind, especially compared to power boats. If it were my only choice I would jump at it. If it were loaded to the gills and I could sail to some 3rd world agrarian country unaffected by the current collapse, then obviously I'd take that chance. Given your locale and circumstances it may be the best choice!

58. Post #44

Silver Member
    Thanks

The phrase "sitting duck" comes to mind.

That pretty much goes for all the other hairbrained ideas.

There is no safety.

59. The Following User Says Thank You to stewie For This Useful Post:

Al K. Hall (10-01-2012)

60. Post #45

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by honu5050 View Post
    how about gilligans island ?
    The sailboat thing could work if you have a Professor [original McGyver] 2 x hot chicks and a fat guy & rich couple for ballast.

61. Post #46

Thanks
    Thanked 1,040 Times in 606 Posts

I'm not sure how the incredibly limited on board space of a sailboat would lend itself to unlimited living aboard. If you look back at history ... sailors made for ports pretty regular like ... in a lot bigger and better organised boats than a 30' fibreglass hull.
    And this is why I'm a monarchist ... the public is just too damn stupid to be allowed to control the country

62. Post #47

Thanks

[QUOTE=chewy;436273]
    Quote Originally Posted by orovicino View Post

How is that nuff said? How would he have been in any better shape if he was hiding in his bug out location in the woods, post SHTF, when leaving BOL was not an option, not that there were any hospitals to go to anyway?

If the old mans story was that he and his brother hiked deep into the woods one summer, to get away from society, and while deep in the woods brother got appendicitis, and died - would you then surmise that living in the woods was not an option? cause an old guy you met 30 years agos brother had a bad experience? come on now......

At least in a boat I would have the option of sailing to a hospital in another country if I got sick.....
    Apparently, I din' make my point clear... 'cause you keep on talking about sunshine.

The PROB, chewy, is that yer mountain cabin doesn't rock violently. Or Capsize. Or sink.

And the cabin floor does not go into the vertical (and beyond) in two directions simultaneously. And when you are thrown out of the (hah!) "bed" onto the floor where the water is sloshing around during the night... and you haveta take a dump... in the VERTICAL POSITION...

You will NOT have the potty in your cabin raise up and break your fargin arm... as it most rick-tick can in a sailboat... in the pitch dark...

Just for one minute, chewy... think about weather. Here is a dismasted 41-footer (thassa BIIIG sailboat):

Now picture it at night. No masts, yer arm is broken. Will your cabin inna woods SINK?

This pic below was taken just BEFORE the sailboat got dismasted. Let us posit that it did NOT get thataway, and just fargin LOOK at what being in the ocean in a sailboat REALLY is like. Lookit the pore bastid inna back...:

And really: Do you REALLY think yer "bed" in that above sailboat is both dry and habitable? Or would you simply be forced to bloody well hold on for dear life for DAYS AT A TIME.

Honest, bro: BTDT. <-- and it truly sucks. Trust yer Unca. :13:

DAYS AT A TIME THAT YOU CANNOT STAND UP, BUT YOU MUST HANDLE THE BOAT NO MATTER WHAT OR YOU WILL DIE BEFORE IT CALMS DOWN.

And always assuming the boat does not do a Davy Jones.

PS: And when that happens, you get the "Jimmy Carter": "You're on yer own. Goodnight."
    Last edited by Unca Walt; 10-01-2012 at 09:14 AM.

63. Post #48

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Someone_else View Post
    I have never owned a boat, but my past includes two airplanes. Here are two very popular sayings:
    "Your two happiest days will be the day you buy it and the day you sell it."
    "Three F's. If it Floats, Flies, or Fornicates -- Rent!"
    While I concur with the above... still, there is jealousy rampant from me.

My dream was to own a modest Piper Warrior. Flying in Floriduh is almost cheating; the altimeter and your distance above ground are the same.

But... jeez! The Maintenance costs! A hangar is a coupla hunnert a fargin WEEK. Cain't leave it out in the sun -- you will cook your windows, etc. And the inspection. There's another $3K per year, and you haven't even taxied the dang plane yet...

And please doan mention the price of leaded gas...

Just couldn't afford it.

64. Post #49

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unca Walt View Post

Now picture it at night. No masts, yer arm is broken. Will your cabin inna woods SINK?
    Or just travel once in a high speed boat and take on a large wake, just to see what ur body can take.

I would never want to beat the wonderlust out of a young boater. Let the waves do it.

However, if I were young, fit and a glutton for punishment I would still want the sailboat. Only it would be a stable Trimarin in excellent condition and purchased right after the orginal owner took it out to sea for a shakedown or two and decided he was too old to sail.

Now, at a more seasoned stage, I can read Walden's Pond' for adventure.

Most people would go insane in a cabin alone off the grid. Unless it were rocking, pitching, sinking or some other way keeping all their attention.

Just turn off the cell phone system for ONE DAY and many folks would go into violent sensory withdrawl.

John Milton wrote, "The mind is its' own place, capable of making a Heaven a Hell and a Hell a Heaven." Unless you first conquer ur inner self, you will never conquer earth, sea /waves or sky. Wher you go, you take urself with you. No escaping that.

But what the heck? Giver a try and post back the results to us old cabin quarterbacks.

Send us pictures of rock lobstors and half nakked poloynesian ladies even if the mexican coast gaurd boards ur ship and seizes it for suspicion of smuggling. Revenge is sweet.

65. The Following User Says Thank You to keef For This Useful Post:

searcher (10-01-2012)

66. Post #50

Thanks

Oh, what the L, don't listen to us old fuds. Spoiling ur dreams.

Climb into one of these and even the mexican coast gaurd can't catch ya.