Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: eBay at it again...new coin rules, no common "cents"

1. Post #1

Thanks
    Thanked 2,102 Times in 1,024 Posts

Default eBay at it again...new coin rules, no common "cents"

So I got this email from eBay today; removed 8 of my listings:

Unfortunately, we had to remove your listings because of the following:

Referencing price guides or including estimations of value is not permitted when selling coins that are ungraded or graded by unrecognized coin grading companies.

We appreciate that you chose to list this coin on our site and we realize you may not have been aware of these policies. All associated listing fees have been credited back to your account and we put a copy of the listing in your My eBay > Unsold Items list. You may relist this coin but you will need to make sure it does not include references to price guides or value.

Please note: violation of this or other eBay policies may result in forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings, limits on account privileges and account suspension.

My sin? I listed an Eisenhower Dollar as having a face value of $1, 10 Eisenhowers having a face value of $10, 20 Eisenhowers with a face value of $20, and my set of 24 Halves 2000 - 2011 P&D with a face value of $12. I guess PCGS, NGC, ANACS, or ICG are the only ones that can determine the face value of a coin.

And who are they to determine what grading companies are acceptable and what aren't. Let the market (and price) make that determination. Personally, I won't pay a dime extra for graded. How about they stop going after me for saying my $1 coin has a face value of $1 and go after those $#^$! Chinese fakes. Oh, I guess $10 for 10 Morgan Dollars is perfectly ligit.
    Gold and Silver aren't the only metals that preserve wealth. I also have a large supply of Brass and Lead.
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum."

2. Post #2

Silver Member
    Thanks

Default Re: eBay at it again...new coin rules, no common "cents"

Ebays just keeping you honest
    Your dollar is only worth what? about $0.80 cents today

http://futures.tradingcharts.com/chart/US

If you actually get a dollar for your dollar, the goverment would probably want you to pay a tax on the 20 cents interest you made

3. Post #3

Thanks

If you're selling on ebay then you have to play by their rules.
    BB code img is not allowed.

4. Post #4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by needler View Post
    If you're selling on ebay then you have to play by their rules.
    Yeah, I know. And unfortunately, they have a pretty solid corner on the market. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Just like I don't like the choices we have for Tuesday, I'll have to live with the results even though I won't be happy.
    Gold and Silver aren't the only metals that preserve wealth. I also have a large supply of Brass and Lead.

5. Post #5

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner ^updated^'s Avatar
    Thanks

Are you sure that's why your auctions were canceled. I see hundreds of auctions listed with (face value, fv) in the titles.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...%29&_sacat=253

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ^updated^ For This Useful Post:

ttazzman (10-31-2012)

7. Post #6

Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 861 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ^updated^ View Post
    Are you sure that's why your auctions were canceled. I see hundreds of auctions listed with (face value, fv) in the titles.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...%29&_sacat=253

I would agree with this question...."face value" is set by the government and is legal tender

im guessing they have a issue with something else in your add's

8. Post #7

Thanks

Absolutely certain...I edited out some of the email, but here it is in it's entirety. They specifically reference the FV and told me when I called to just remove the reference. I relisted everything with the only change the removal of the FV and all is good.

You recently listed the following listing:

230869816945 - Lot of 10 Circulated Eisenhower IKE Large "Silver" Dollars, $10 FV (no silver)
    230869817133 - Roll of 20 Circulated Eisenhower IKE Large "Silver" Dollars, $20 FV (no silver)
    330816021809 - Roll of 20 Circulated Eisenhower IKE Large "Silver" Dollars, $20 FV (no silver)
    330816022208 - Lot of 10 Circulated Eisenhower IKE Large "Silver" Dollars, $10 FV (no silver)

Unfortunately, we had to remove your listing because of the following:

Referencing price guides or including estimations of value ($10 $20 FV ) is not permitted when selling coins that are ungraded or graded by unrecognized coin grading companies.

We appreciate that you chose to list this coin on our site and we realize you may not have been aware of these policies. All associated listing fees have been credited back to your account and we put a copy of the listing in your My eBay > Unsold Items list. You may relist this coin but you will need to make sure it does not include references to price guides or value.

Graded coins must be graded by one of the following authorized grading companies:

-- Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC)
    http://www.ngccoin.com/
    -- Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS)
    http://www.pcgs.com/
    -- Independent Coin Graders (ICG)
    http://www.icgcoin.com/
    -- American Numismatic Association Certification Service (ANACS):
    http://www.anacs.com/

If the coin isn't graded by one of the companies listed above, it's considered raw. Raw coins can be listed as long as:

-- A numeric grade (such as MS-65 or VF-25) isn't in the title, description, or item specifics of the listing.
    -- No estimate of value (even if personal opinion) or reference to a price guide is included in the title or description.
    -- The listing includes a photo of the coin being sold. Images that are dark, out of focus, edited, or might be misleading aren't allowed. Also, stock photos aren't allowed.
    -- The starting, reserve, or Buy It Now price for the coin is less than $2500.

For more information on our coins policy, please visit:
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/currstamps.html

9. Post #8

Gold Member+
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,204 Times in 820 Posts

What a maroon. There's over 19,000 auctions with silver face value in the title. Stamps do it too. It's only Wednesday, and I have dealt with so many dolts this week over and above the norm, if I was a conspiracy dude, I'd say there's something in the water...

10. Post #9

Thanks

That's why I called them; I couldn't believe that could be the only reason. They confirmed I had to take out the $ FV. Oh, well. No big deal unless I end up with a moron who doesn't know the face value of 10 Ikes. My bet is they just got started on this and I happened to be first. Just seems to lack common sense.

11. Post #10

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

No disrespect, but WHY waste your time listing CRAP coins in the first place....?

Circ junk Ike Dollars and Kennedy halves? Really.....after fees you make a couple bux for your efforts?

12. Post #11

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deweydog View Post
    No disrespect, but WHY waste your time listing CRAP coins in the first place....?

Circ junk Ike Dollars and Kennedy halves? Really.....after fees you make a couple bux for your efforts?
    Quantity! I spend a few minutes doing it for fun (just relist over and over; takes 30 seconds on my phone). In three months, I've sold $1,250.00 in Ikes for $2,127.09. Plenty of profit; it's not like I'm trying to make a living doing this. I'll be turning the profit into a shiny new Beretta CX4; definitely not a bad freebie.

And I agree they're crap coins...I wouldn't pay more than $1 for them, but hey - if someone else wants too, so be it. I'll take their money and make them happy.