Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How Wal-mart is paying their workers with your money

1. Post #1

Banned
    Thanks

Default How Wal-mart is paying their workers with your money

Those under the impression that the United State's free market is actually free couldn't be more wrong. This so-called "free" market is actually costing American taxpayers money and lots of it. Unfortunately, slave labor and wages have come to a neighborhood near you via your most popular retailers. Many of our country's favorite corporations do not pay workers a living wage. How could the retailers we loyally shop at treat us so badly in return?

Instead of paying workers a living wage, these places opt to pay the government's bare minimum wage requirements. Paying employees the modern day equivalent of a slave wages not only adds another helping or two to these corporation's already obese profit margins, but does so on the taxpayer's dimes.

Last week marks the first ever successful strike for Walmart employees. It's no surprise the retailer has long gotten away with underpaying and exploiting their workers and then sending us the bill. Whether you shop at big corporations with bad reputations (like Walmart) or not, if you are a taxpayer, you are being short-changed by this very company and others of its caliber. How is that, you say? Slave wages have come to America and you are paying the price.

Don't let Walmart fool you. Just because they aren't paying their American employees $0.55 an hour (a rate of pay that exceeds the hourly wages of their sweat shop workers in China) doesn't mean Americans aren't receiving slave wages. The average Walmart worker makes $8.81 an hour, $15,576 per year which is below the poverty line for a family of two or more and low enough a wage for even a household of one to qualify for public assistance and food stamps. Walmart reaped over $400 billion in global profits last year and your hard-earned taxes helped foot a bill that Walmart could've easily took care of.

Walmart workers, as a group, are the largest food stamp recipients in the country totaling $2.66 billion annually. That's right, Walmart, a company that makes more than $400,000,000,000 a year is taking more than $2,660,000,000 out of tax payers pockets annually because they have refused to pay their workers a living wage. Not only has Walmart callously expected the taxpayers to pick up the slack, but the government has allowed them to get away with it! In fact, reports say Walmart has direct knowledge of this and directly assist employees in applications for both food stamps and Medicaid. And that is not all. Walmart also takes millions, perhaps billions in tax breaks, free land and other government subsidies.

There are slave laborers in America and they are right under our noses. We encounter these workers every day of the week. Some may argue that minimum wage is far from slave labor, but without government assistance and food stamps, these workers would be starving and homeless. How are these not slave wages? Additionally, "Walmart's intentionally low wages and lack of covered benefits cost taxpayers over $1.02 BILLION a year in healthcare costs."

Of course, many of our biggest retailers are guilty of paying intentionally low wages at the cost of the tax-payers (McDonald's, K-Mart, Target), but Walmart is the worst of this motley crew. Since Walmart began its move into a neighborhood near you, wages have decreased; small business have closed and been shipped over seas; the poverty level has sky-rocketed; and we lost a total of 196,000 jobs in the manufacturing sector because of the company's imports from China.

With Walmart employees accounting for 1% of the country's working population, it seems that proper government intervention is needed to redirect this burden back to the retail giant and away from the country's working class citizens. The six heirs to the Walmart fortune are worth the same as the bottom 40% of Americans: Sam Walton's six living family members are worth the same amount of money as approximately 1,250,000 Americans!

http://woodbury-middlebury.patch.com...ith-your-money

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to goldfingerer For This Useful Post:

Brio (11-22-2012), Cajuncoin (11-19-2012), Cochisz (11-20-2012), Fanakapan (11-17-2012), Treasure Searcher (11-17-2012)

3. Post #2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,629 Times in 874 Posts

Default Re: How Wal-mart is paying their workers with your money

I can tell you first hand this is not 100% true. I worked in a shop for a temp agency earning $10 an hour, real sh$tty work too. Took a job at Walmart, and was getting $11.50 an hour, doing much easier work. Not the best job I ever did, but needed work at the time.
    Note to self, stay the hell out of "General Discussions"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chester-Copperpot For This Useful Post:

Aurumag (11-17-2012), lumpOgold (11-17-2012)

5. Post #3

Thanks
    Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,959 Posts

What moron works part time at Walmart and thinks he or she is going to raise a family on that money?
    What moron thinks a part time job at Walmart should provide all the fine things of life?
    What moron thinks a part time job at Walmart is SLAVERY?
    Does the same moron think the mom and pop store that Walmart replaced paid the part time help enough money to raise a family?

Has our education system failed this badly?

What is a person that thinks things like this doing on a gold is money forum?

Is moveon.org missing a senior agitator?

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gringott For This Useful Post:

andial (11-17-2012), bemac (11-17-2012), Buck (11-19-2012), Gcubed (11-17-2012), K_Flynn (11-17-2012), samwiii (11-18-2012), Silvergun (11-18-2012)

7. Post #4

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gringott View Post
    Has our education system failed this badly?
    Yes, the secondary education in Obomerica is only now recognizing that students need critical thinking skills. It is amazing to work with idiots that graduate from Indian and Chinese colleges with advanced degrees (PhD's and masters) that are brain dead. They couldn't innovate their way out of a wet paper bag. And some of these people "graduate" from Stanford and other respected universities.

I CAN'T hire scientists I need who can innovate. They don't exist anymore. Everyone expects to be a Faceplant millionaire.
    This is not a hyperlink, don't try clicking on it!

8. Post #5

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 748 Posts

Wal-mart doesn't pay well but they do usually pay well above the minimum wage.

9. Post #6

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gringott View Post

What is a person that thinks things like this doing on a gold is money forum?
    ?
    Gold may be money, but YOUR tax dollars are subsidizing government services that Walmart could afford for it's employees.

How does that sit with you?

What if I owned a company making widgets and I called you up every couple of months and demanded an ounce of gold so that my workers could afford some food.

It's the same thing.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldfingerer For This Useful Post:

Cajuncoin (11-17-2012), Fanakapan (11-17-2012)

11. Post #7

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alric View Post
    Wal-mart doesn't pay well but they do usually pay well above the minimum wage.
    Well they aren't paying well enough in either hours/benefits or money to keep their employees off the government dole.

That is the issue. They are hugely successful, why should taxpayers have to foot the bill for their workers.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfingerer For This Useful Post:

silver solution (11-20-2012)

13. Post #8

Thanks

Government meddling in the economy is what causes the problems discussed here to arise.

Where i work 60% of the work force is receiving some form of benefit from the government. The owner of said business could drive to work everyday using a different car. If the government said tomorrow no more benefits to employees, then the owner will have a decision to make. Because people could not live on the wages offered.

In the UK those on low wages (minimum wage or slightly above it) are being subsidised by government. Let me rephrase that, businesses are being indirectly subsidised by government.

The government is basically saying, pay low wages and we'll make the difference up for what people need to live on.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to All-in For This Useful Post:

Aurumag (11-17-2012), bemac (11-17-2012), FoundingFathers (11-17-2012)

15. Post #9

Midas Member
    Thanks

It isn't really wal-marts fault that the government inflated the money and destroyed the value of the dollar. Pretty much all entry level positions in retail pays crap.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alric For This Useful Post:

bemac (11-17-2012), FoundingFathers (11-17-2012), GOLDZILLA (11-17-2012), phideaux (11-17-2012)

17. Post #10

Thanks
    Thanked 4,606 Times in 3,054 Posts

QWAK,With out a bottom there can be no TOP or middle!

If you don't want to work at Walmart or some other low pay job --- START your own business -- work from home -- advertise -- do your own book work and work twice as many hours and 3 X as hard -- then in a fiew years IF you survive (?) you can provide low pay jobs for others!

GROW UP -- stop crying like a child that only wants MORE but don't know how or want to put out the effort to get it!

the DUCK
    "ALL is ONE" What we DO to and FOR others we DO "TO and FOR" our selves ultimitly!

People SELDOM look for TRUTH! What they look for is CONFERMATION that what they have chosen to believe IS TRUTH! This is why people will believe almost ANY THING and also WHY the WORLD is SO MESSED UP!

IT is never realy OVER -- things just CHANGE!

You can QUOTE me on ALL! It IS what I believe to be TRUE!

I AM, the DUCK

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GOLD DUCK For This Useful Post:

andial (11-17-2012), BeefJerky (11-17-2012), Gcubed (11-17-2012), glockngold (11-17-2012), mtnclimberjim (11-17-2012)

19. Post #11

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GOLD DUCK View Post
    QWAK,With out a bottom there can be no TOP or middle!

If you don't want to work at Walmart or some other low pay job --- START your own business -- work from home -- advertise -- do your own book work and work twice as many hours and 3 X as hard -- then in a fiew years IF you survive (?) you can provide low pay jobs for others!

GROW UP -- stop crying like a child that only wants MORE but don't know how or want to put out the effort to get it!

the DUCK
    Did you even read the article?

You are already paying.

What is your solution?

Just repeating the same mantra "start your own business, blah, blah, blah" doesn't do anything to fix the problem at hand right now. Which is your tax dollars funding benefits for walmart workers that walmart could easily afford to pay for.

Walmart CEO Michael Duke earned $18.7 Million in 2010. Do you think he was there with Sam Walton starting the business from the ground up? Hardly.

He joined the company in 1995. He has a bachelors from Georgia Tech.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_850933.html

20. Post #12

Thanks
    Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,100 Posts

Oh man, what claptrap.

Calling minimum wages "slave wages" is ridiculous. There shouldn't even be a government mandated minimum wage. None at all. Don't like the compensation being offered? Keep walking!

Then there's this silly notion that if the government steals your money and gives some to Wal-Mart, you should be angry at Wal-Mart. Puh-leez!
    Reason, not might, makes right.

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Libertaurum For This Useful Post:

bemac (11-17-2012), Gcubed (11-17-2012), glockngold (11-17-2012), phideaux (11-17-2012), samwiii (11-18-2012), Solo (11-17-2012), Usury (11-17-2012)

22. Post #13

Thanks

QWAK,goldfingerer,I gave you the answer and solution but YOU don't want THAT -- you want every thing handed to you on a SILVER platter -- it don't work that way never did or will GROW UP and stop acting and sounding like a child who wants candy but can't pay for what you want or demand!

the DUCK
    "ALL is ONE" What we DO to and FOR others we DO "TO and FOR" our selves ultimitly!

People SELDOM look for TRUTH! What they look for is CONFERMATION that what they have chosen to believe IS TRUTH! This is why people will believe almost ANY THING and also WHY the WORLD is SO MESSED UP!

I AM, the DUCK

23. Post #14

Banned
    Thanks

QWAK,goldfingerer,I gave you the answer and solution but YOU don't want THAT -- you want every thing handed to you on a SILVER platter -- it don't work that way never did or will GROW UP and stop acting and sounding like a child who wants candy but can't pay for what you want or demand!

the DUCK
    You did not give an answer. You gave a slogan, a sound byte that has been repeated ad naseum across the conservative media outlets for years.

It does nothing to fix the problem. It never will.

24. Post #15

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldfingerer View Post
    You did not give an answer. You gave a slogan, a sound byte that has been repeated ad naseum across the conservative media outlets for years.

It does nothing to fix the problem. It never will.
    QWAK,goldfingerer,NO I gave you a SOLUTION but you don't want a solution you just want to complane like a child!

There are countless things that need doing that others don't want to do -- usely dirty nasty stuff that they are willing to pay others to do for them!

I figured that out at age 8 and started raking leaves going door to door offering to do it for them -- it worked back then and will today!

At first your hands will blister but if you keep at it calouces will form and it won't seem so hard and you can be PROUD and INDEPENDENT and will most likely be recognised for your abilities and some one will offer you more $$$$ to do it as part of there business!

You are your own problem and to hope or expect others to solve or fix it for you is to admit and accept that you are still just a child and CAN'T!

the DUCK

I AM, the DUCK

25. The Following User Says Thank You to GOLD DUCK For This Useful Post:

andial (11-17-2012)

26. Post #16

Thanks

We all talk about workfare for people on welfare, with Walmart and other businesses like it, we got it. If you don't like it, don't shop there.
    You better keep on truckin...or a bus is gonna run over your ass...

27. Post #17

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Workers at Walmart not getting a "living wage"

Maybe it's just the Walmart I shop at, but the clerks & shelf stockers appear to not have the ability to move faster than low gear on idle.

Why should they get paid the living wage you speak of, the same as my mechanic who is smart enough to figure out what's wrong with my car when I can't & fixes it?
    He has training & experience that makes him worth more than someone who pushes bar codes past a scanner.

Unskilled labor does not equal middle class life.

Don't like Walmart? Start your own store & pay your employees whatever you want.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to glockngold For This Useful Post:

Cigarlover (11-17-2012), Gcubed (11-17-2012), phideaux (11-17-2012)

29. Post #18

Thanks
    Thanked 17,469 Times in 8,120 Posts

I think Fingerer-er-er is a paid shill. He gets a bonus for every reply to one of his threads.

(I know, this post earned him some $$, but no mas.)
    " 'The problem' is, uh, I'm the president of the United States;
    I'm not, uh, the emperor of the United States."

-- Barrack Hussein Soetoro Soebarkah Obama Shama-Lama-Ding-Dong the Magnificent! - 02/17/13

30. Post #19

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
    I think Fingerer-er-er is a paid shill. He gets a bonus for every reply to one of his threads.

(I know, this post earned him some $$, but no mas.)
    QWAK,phideaux,He does have that POLL CAT air about him don't he?

the DUCK

I AM, the DUCK

31. Post #20

Midas Member
    Thanks

Wal-mart starting pay is usually a dollar or two above minimum wage, which probably is generous considering they will hire anyone who has no skills what so ever. They will also give you that quarter raise every year as long as you stay there, or whatever it is. So if you work at wal-mart for 30 years and still at the lowest position possible, you would be making almost 20 dollars an hour.

Which means it is actually possible to have a career at wal-mart and get into the livable range. I would have the question the sanity of a person doing it, but people do. Working at wal-mart isn't like working retail at a fancy store or something. It is basically unskilled labor which you do in air conditioning. No one pays top dollar for unskilled labor.

32. Post #21

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alric View Post
    Wal-mart starting pay is usually a dollar or two above minimum wage, which probably is generous considering they will hire anyone who has no skills what so ever. They will also give you that quarter raise every year as long as you stay there, or whatever it is. So if you work at wal-mart for 30 years and still at the lowest position possible, you would be making almost 20 dollars an hour.

Which means it is actually possible to have a career at wal-mart and get into the livable range. I would have the question the sanity of a person doing it, but people do. Working at wal-mart isn't like working retail at a fancy store or something. It is basically unskilled labor which you do in air conditioning. No one pays top dollar for unskilled labor.
    I think we can all agree that walmart is not a skilled labor job. That was not the subject I wanted to discuss when posting this thread.

It's the fact that taxpayers must subsidize walmarts employees because the hours/pay/benefits are not enough to lift them above the poverty line. All this from a company that in 2011 reported a net income of $15.4 billion on $422 billion of revenue with a 24.7% gross profit margin.

Is that fair?

33. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfingerer For This Useful Post:

searcher (11-17-2012)

34. Post #22

Gold Member+
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 Times in 812 Posts

The base jobs at Walmart should be a stepping stone or a second job or supplemental income, unless you decide to accept a life living below middle class.
    Most all of the jobs there require very little training. Even management positions only require dedicated individuals whom you can trust. It's a simple set of rules to follow with very little need to think on your feet.

35. Post #23

Gold Member+
    Thanks

I think we can all agree that walmart is not a skilled labor job. That was not the subject I wanted to discuss when posting this thread.

It's the fact that taxpayers must subsidize walmarts employees because the hours/pay/benefits are not enough to lift them above the poverty line. All this from a company that in 2011 reported a net income of $15.4 billion on $422 billion of revenue with a 24.7% gross profit margin.

Is that fair?
    We should stop the subsidizing. They should buy their own food, drop cable, cancel their cellphone service, stop buying the next bigger widescreen, use fans to keep cool, and eat mac & cheese twice a week.
    They should also think ahead before starting a family.

There's no doubt the economy has stomped on many families who now have a wage earner earning much less at Walmart right now. It's not Walmart's fault. The policies of the government are the problem.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dude For This Useful Post:

GOLDZILLA (11-17-2012), Usury (11-17-2012)

37. Post #24

Getting Acclimated Prospector
    Thanks

As a competing retailer, I'm no fan of Wal-Mart. I hate their business practices and cut throat mentality almost as much as I hate insurance benefit managers. My wife is under strict orders to never, ever shop there, although I have on occasion found empty Wal-Mart bags in the trunk of her car she swapped out with other companies, in an attempt to fool me. In their defense, however, I would bet their profit margin is lower than just about any other retailer. Their profits may be huge, but their margin is smaller than most. They just have such an enormous volume of sales it drives up overall profit. If I have a good month my profit margin might run 20%. I would guess their profit margin routinely is less than 15%. They have set the business standard for mass production retailing.

And in the long run what is actually better for the country? A business like Wal-Mart provides an enormous amount of jobs. Maybe not great jobs, as I have never spoken to a single Wal-Mart employee who enjoys working there or has much in the way of company loyalty, but jobs is jobs. How much more government assistance would their employess be on if it wasn't for their Wal-Mart job? And how much more would the nation be paying for goods?

They also ultimately set the standard for retail pricing nationwide, as every competing business winds up being forced to lower their own prices to compete with Wal-Mart. Would it be better for the country to have Wal-Mart pay their employees more and wind up raising all their prices?

38. Post #25

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    It's not Walmart's fault. The policies of the government are the problem.
    And there you have it. The typical response from conservatives. It's the workers fault. Let em die/starve/suffer... whatever.

Good thing that so many conservatives are christian, cause i'm sure that is what Jesus would do.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfingerer For This Useful Post:

Fanakapan (11-17-2012)

40. Post #26

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sly Selea View Post
    Would it be better for the country to have Wal-Mart pay their employees more and wind up raising all their prices?
    Yes it would.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfingerer For This Useful Post:

WillieTheKid (11-20-2012)

42. Post #27

Thanks

Goldfingerer, YOU voted for this shlt.

If welfare wasn't so god damned easily obtained, people would refuse these jobs. These jobs wouldn't be enough to support your family. The market would decide what a fair hourly wage is for each position in the company.

Add government assistance and it's an easy job with great government benefits.

Why do you change your stance everyday?

YOU VOTED FOR THIS SH!T!!!

If the government said "no more" and denied assistance to anybody with a job, all these people would quit. If all these people would quit, walmart would be forced to offer a higher wage to get these employees working. Add never ending benefits and you've made the problem worse.

For the last time:

YOU voted for this shlt!!

43. Post #28

Thanks

And there you have it. The typical response from conservatives. It's the workers fault. Let em die/starve/suffer... whatever.

Good thing that so many conservatives are christian, cause i'm sure that is what Jesus would do.
    QWAK,goldfingerer,"BEGERS can't be CHOSERS" it has been that way for ever!

Look for ways to be a service to others -- create your job/position by doing somthig some one wants and will pay you to do --- get CREATIVE --- that is why you go a BRAIN -- to help you servive and notice opertunities to survive and prosper!

If WISHES were HORSES begers would ride and we would all be buried in HORSH S**T!

the DUCK

I AM, the DUCK

44. Post #29

Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 696 Posts

The figures' are a bit out, even Wiki (a far from unbiased source) only contends that the Heir's of Sam Walton share the same wealth as the lowest 30% of Americans, as opposed to the 40% mentioned in the article.

But lets be fair here, WalMart are beneficiaries of Corporate Welfare on a fairly big scale ? Something which a lot of guys here seem to think is a pretty good thing ??

As for some of your opinions of the WalMart Workers, and Burger flippers of this world, you blokes ought to be aware that in any Advanced Society, the Unskilled and Totally Apathetic will number, maybe, up to 50% of said Society ? Whether its Nature or Nurture, probably every one here Aint amongst them but lets give a thought to how such folks relieve ourselves of myriad little tasks throughout the day

There is another side to WalMart that the OP does not mention, it's become a pretty Effective Machine for destroying the Downtown area's of many town's in the Heartland ? That combined with the Welfare element must give cause to wonder if WalMart has been a Blessing or a Curse to the USA ?
    I'll be a Daisy if you do

45. Post #30

Banned
    Thanks

Look for ways to be a service to others
    I could offer you some spelling lessons.

my going rate is $10/hr.

46. Post #31

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fanakapan View Post

But lets be fair here, WalMart are beneficiaries of Corporate Welfare on a fairly big scale ? Something which a lot of guys here seem to think is a pretty good thing ??

?
    I'm actually shocked about that too. I thought more posters here would be mad about that.

47. Post #32

Thanks

I'm actually shocked about that too. I thought more posters here would be mad about that.
    Arrrrfffffffff You need to get with the Program, Corporate Welfare Good, Welfare for that guy down the street Bad

48. Post #33

Thanks

I could offer you some spelling lessons.

my going rate is $10/hr.
    QWAK,goldfingerer,Accepting ARBITRARY rules is how YOU got TRAPED -- ignoring them is how I escaped!

My way works better than yours -- thank you for the offer but I will do it MY WAY!

You SOooooooooooo much FUNnnnnnnnnnnn!!!

Then agen IF you are a good looking GIRL and will sit on my lap and teach me to spell --- @ $10.00/hr I think we could work somthing out!

the DUCK
    Last edited by GOLD DUCK; 11-17-2012 at 03:10 PM.

I AM, the DUCK

49. Post #34

Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,363 Posts

It's the fact that taxpayers must subsidize walmarts employees because the hours/pay/benefits are not enough to lift them above the poverty line.

Taxpayers are not subsidizing WalMart.

Whirly Ben and the Bankster cabal are subsidizing WalMart by dumping bales of e-FRNs from above.

Taxpayers are nicking away at the interest on the National Debt.

Taxpayers are forfeiting 20% of their "incomes" to bail out the Social Security Ponzi scheme.

Taxpayers are subsidizing Medicare, and very soon it will be that abomination called Obamacare.

By voluntarily participating, taxpayers are actively demonstrating approval for, and providing validity to, the phony fiat FRN system.

If you don't want to pay, then don't play.

WalMart employees are systemically participating zombies, which 50 years ago behind the Iron Curtain, would likely have been called Fascist State Workers by all of us "free" Americans.

Wake up to your slavery!

Either complacently accept your servitude to the State (like the majority), or rebel against it.

I don't see any other options at this late point in the game.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    Peacefully engaging in "Economic Domestic Terrorism" since 2004.

If We the People fail to independently audit Fort Knox, then how will we know the amount of Tungsten backing the FRN?

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aurumag For This Useful Post:

bemac (11-17-2012), hoarder (11-17-2012)

51. Post #35

Gold Member+
    Thanks

I said no such thing. It's the government's fault, as I said. Officials pandering for votes. The working poor of the 80's were quite a bit different than the working poor today. The working poor today should pay for their food first. Get cable TV if they start earning more, not rely on govy to buy their food. I'm sure Jesus disapproves of most cable programming, anyway.

I think you are just scared that your talentless mind might just put you behind a cash register at Walmart. You might be gifted at spinning on the web, but that appears to cost nothing, as you give it away.

52. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dude For This Useful Post:

bemac (11-17-2012), Usury (11-17-2012)

53. Post #36

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadHatter View Post
    Goldfingerer, YOU voted for this shlt.

If welfare wasn't so god damned easily obtained, people would refuse these jobs. These jobs wouldn't be enough to support your family. The market would decide what a fair hourly wage is for each position in the company.

Add government assistance and it's an easy job with great government benefits.

Why do you change your stance everyday?

YOU VOTED FOR THIS SH!T!!!

If the government said "no more" and denied assistance to anybody with a job, all these people would quit. If all these people would quit, walmart would be forced to offer a higher wage to get these employees working. Add never ending benefits and you've made the problem worse.

For the last time:

YOU voted for this shlt!!

People won't refuse these jobs, especially if there's no government assistance. cause there is always somebody out there who will dig a ditch for a nickel if it means he can feed his family that day. It's a race to the bottom. Which is apparently something that you want.

54. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfingerer For This Useful Post:

Fanakapan (11-17-2012)

55. Post #37

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus GOLDZILLA's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,898 Times in 1,482 Posts

Its not about what you need. Its about what you do with what you got.
    I'm a jeenyus, and i approve this massage.

56. The Following User Says Thank You to GOLDZILLA For This Useful Post:

Fanakapan (11-17-2012)

57. Post #38

Thanks

QWAK,goldfingerer,Accepting ARBITRARY rules is how YOU got TRAPED -- ignoring them is how I escaped!
    Very True what You say

But, dont forget, the simple act of deciding to cut oneself lose from the herd, is a decision, whether from Fear or Ignorance, that Most will never make

58. Post #39

Gold Member+
    Thanks

People won't refuse these jobs, especially if there's no government assistance.
    What? There's already a movement to strike on Black Friday, even with government assistance. I hope you are earning a living with a physical skill set. By your posts, however, you appear to be earning your living working one of those jobs where all that is required is that you have a pulse.

59. The Following User Says Thank You to Dude For This Useful Post:

TheMadHatter (11-17-2012)

60. Post #40

Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 814 Posts

As a competing retailer, I'm no fan of Wal-Mart. I hate their business practices and cut throat mentality almost as much as I hate insurance benefit managers. My wife is under strict orders to never, ever shop there, although I have on occasion found empty Wal-Mart bags in the trunk of her car she swapped out with other companies, in an attempt to fool me. In their defense, however, I would bet their profit margin is lower than just about any other retailer. Their profits may be huge, but their margin is smaller than most. They just have such an enormous volume of sales it drives up overall profit. If I have a good month my profit margin might run 20%. I would guess their profit margin routinely is less than 15%. They have set the business standard for mass production retailing.

And in the long run what is actually better for the country? A business like Wal-Mart provides an enormous amount of jobs. Maybe not great jobs, as I have never spoken to a single Wal-Mart employee who enjoys working there or has much in the way of company loyalty, but jobs is jobs. How much more government assistance would their employess be on if it wasn't for their Wal-Mart job? And how much more would the nation be paying for goods?

They also ultimately set the standard for retail pricing nationwide, as every competing business winds up being forced to lower their own prices to compete with Wal-Mart. Would it be better for the country to have Wal-Mart pay their employees more and wind up raising all their prices?
    For the life of me, I cannot understand these types of rationalizations. It's as if you believe that nothing existed before Walmart came along.

My father raised and supported 5 kids, owned a 5 bedroom house and for a time, we even had a maid, he was a filling station attendant. So yes, I would say that people actually did possess the ability to raise families and prosper working in mom and pop stores before monolithic corporations like Walmart came along and destroyed their community’s economy as well as almost all hope for their future prosparity.

People who believe that Walmart setting the standard for retail pricing nationwide is a good thing fail to grasp the implications of what that really means, and what it means is that Walmart is establishing the future standard of living for the majority. Drive prices down, you drive wages down and you drive the standard of living down.

Prices are relative to the economy within which they are established.
    America's #1 Enemy and Direct threat to our Lives, Liberty, Property and Future is the United States Centralized Fascist Government,
    their Corporate Capitalist Controllers and the Banksters, overseeing it all.

61. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Carl For This Useful Post:

Aurumag (11-18-2012), Fanakapan (11-17-2012), goldfingerer (11-17-2012), hoarder (11-17-2012), RealJack (11-20-2012)

62. Post #41

Thanks

Drive prices down, you drive wages down and you drive the standard of living down.
    Bingo! we have a Winner

Even Henry Ford, that Bette Noir of the Left, realised that a successful 'Consumer Economy' has to have consumer's with Enough money to be able to Consume

I imagine that some here Imagine that they will Maintain their own High Standard of living even if those that they have little regard for are Washed Away in the storm, little do they realise that if you remove the Foundation, the Whole Structure will come down.

63. Post #42

Thanks

.....But lets be fair here, WalMart are beneficiaries of Corporate Welfare on a fairly big scale ?

How so? Explain please.

....There is another side to WalMart that the OP does not mention, it's become a pretty Effective Machine for destroying the Downtown area's of many town's in the Heartland ? That combined with the Welfare element must give cause to wonder if WalMart has been a Blessing or a Curse to the USA ?
    They are both a blessing and a curse. I feel the pressure of Wal-Mart every day. As a pure capitalist I accept it, and improvise ways to overcome it.

64. Post #43

Thanks

They are both a blessing and a curse. I feel the pressure of Wal-Mart every day. As a pure capitalist I accept it, and improvise ways to overcome it.
    What's the name of your corporation, what do produce and sell and what's the Wall Street ticker ID?
    America's #1 Enemy and Direct threat to our Lives, Liberty, Property and Future is the United States Centralized Fascist Government,

65. Post #44

Thanks

How so? Explain please.
    Any company that employs at wage levels that entitles employee's to claim State Benefits is benefiting from a State Subsidy of their business Just like Coca Cola enjoy State Subsidy by utilising cheap High Fructose Corn Syrup that has been produced and kept cheap by Government Subsidy

Admittedly the Coca Cola example is a better one, but its pretty clear that Walmart are in the business of Short Term Gain ?? at the expense of the Wider Economy ??

The other facet of this would be the Loss of town or city income from local business's when WalMart get the nod to set up locally. I imagine the Loss is made up from other sources, maybe the local taxpayers as a whole ??? and that would represent a Subsidy would it not ??

66. Post #45

Thanks

Very True what You say

But, dont forget, the simple act of deciding to cut oneself lose from the herd, is a decision, whether from Fear or Ignorance, that Most will never make
    QWAK,Fanakapan,Being dyslexic with a high IQ I was forced to COMPENSATE for for my disability to fit the mold and be "NORMAL" after a wile it was normal for me to see opertunities and exploit them -- I turned a negitive in to a positive by CHANGING my MIND and how I chose to percieve things!

People seldom change because they want to change or do things in diferent ways, MOSTLY they change because they have to change or they won't survive!

It is a powerfull incentive and with out the kick in the A$$ or HEAD (depending on location of brain) most people will do as little as they have to do to keep surviving.

the DUCK
    Last edited by GOLD DUCK; 11-17-2012 at 03:19 PM.

I AM, the DUCK

67. Post #46

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    For the life of me, I cannot understand these types of rationalizations. It's as if you believe that nothing existed before Walmart came along.

My father raised and supported 5 kids, owned a 5 bedroom house and for a time, we even had a maid, he was a filling station attendant. So yes, I would say that people actually did possess the ability to raise families and prosper working in mom and pop stores before monolithic corporations like Walmart came along and destroyed their community’s economy as well as almost all hope for their future prosparity.

People who believe that Walmart setting the standard for retail pricing nationwide is a good thing fail to grasp the implications of what that really means, and what it means is that Walmart is establishing the future standard of living for the majority. Drive prices down, you drive wages down and you drive the standard of living down.

Prices are relative to the economy within which they are established.
    5 bedroom house with a maid as a gas jockey? Wow, those were the days.

And don't get me wrong, nobody in this thread hates Wal-Mart more than I do. I'm the mom and pop you speak of slowly getting driven out of business by them. I've tried to rationalize my late night angst with the arguments I proposed, but not necessarily because I like them or agree with them, it's just the way it is. I'd much prefer the profits I enjoyed even twenty years ago, but that's just not going to happen in todays economy or business practices. And is it entirely fair to blame Wal-Mart? They may have created the model of deep discount shopping, but nobody is forced to shop or work there. It seems kinda like the chicken/egg scenario. What came first, the discount shopper or Wal-Mart?

I definitely like the cut of your jib, and what you say makes alot of sense, I'm just not 100% sure how accurate it is. Are you saying if workers nationwide averaged 20% more in their paycheck, that Wal-Marts business would drop by 20%? If we build a deep discount store in the middle of the forest, but everyone in the forest is wealthy, they would all shop at Macy's? I make a very good living, but don't turn down a bargain when I see it. I think that's just human nature.

68. Post #47

Thanks

Any company that employs at wage levels that entitles employee's to claim State Benefits is benefiting from a State Subsidy of their business Just like Coca Cola enjoy State Subsidy by utilising cheap High Fructose Corn Syrup that has been produced and kept cheap by Government Subsidy

Admittedly the Coca Cola example is a better one, but its pretty clear that Walmart are in the business of Short Term Gain ?? at the expense of the Wider Economy ??

The other facet of this would be the Loss of town or city income from local business's when WalMart get the nod to set up locally. I imagine the Loss is made up from other sources, maybe the local taxpayers as a whole ??? and that would represent a Subsidy would it not ??
    It's the government that establishes what minimum wage is, not Wal-Mart. So by your reasoning, Wal-Mart should pay everyone more because.....why?

Wal-Mart is a business, not the government. In a capitalist society, it's not any individual business' job, nor should it be, to assure the standard of living of workers nationwide. The business of business is profit. No offense, but what you seem to be suggesting smacks closely of socialism. Government regulation forcing businesses to pay their workers more so the government doesn't have to support the workers. That would essentially be another tax on business.

As far as the loss of city income when Wal-Mart opens locally, the argument is the local government may lose a few small business, but the revenue they make from taxes from a large company, plus the increased revenue generated by the increased employment, counterbalances the loss of small business. I don't agree with that argument, but that's what it is.

69. Post #48

Midas Member
    Thanks

Sounds like the issue isn't with wal-mart but the minimum wage. If you believe we need to raise the minimum wage and perhaps link it to inflation so that it automatically raises with inflation, I think that is a far more consistent stance than picking out individual companies and saying they need to pay more.

There are pros and cons of a minimum wage. If you raise it a lot of people will make a better living. Also some companies will go out of business and some will lose their job. There really isn't a way to raise pay across the board without some people losing their job, though I would agree that these people can barely survive at minimum wage. So it isn't a simple issue.

70. Post #49

Thanks

5 bedroom house with a maid as a gas jockey? Wow, those were the days.

And don't get me wrong, nobody in this thread hates Wal-Mart more than I do. I'm the mom and pop you speak of slowly getting driven out of business by them. I've tried to rationalize my late night angst with the arguments I proposed, but not necessarily because I like them or agree with them, it's just the way it is. I'd much prefer the profits I enjoyed even twenty years ago, but that's just not going to happen in todays economy or business practices. And is it entirely fair to blame Wal-Mart? They may have created the model of deep discount shopping, but nobody is forced to shop or work there. It seems kinda like the chicken/egg scenario. What came first, the discount shopper or Wal-Mart?

I definitely like the cut of your jib, and what you say makes alot of sense, I'm just not 100% sure how accurate it is. Are you saying if workers nationwide averaged 20% more in their paycheck, that Wal-Marts business would drop by 20%? If we build a deep discount store in the middle of the forest, but everyone in the forest is wealthy, they would all shop at Macy's? I make a very good living, but don't turn down a bargain when I see it. I think that's just human nature.
    Yes bargans are all fine and dandy, up until bargans are all you can afford, then they are no longer bargans are they?

Walmart used to pay a living wage; they also established themselves by being a "Buy American" retailer. The "Buy American" rise in production offset the economic disruptions caused by Wal-Mart’s encroachment into communities. Now, tax payer subsidies help pay Wal-Mart employees and Wal-Mart imported Chinese production is establishing our lower standard of living.

The only reasons Wal-Mart has managed to maintain its predatory business model are cheap Chinese labor, easy consumer credit and government/taxpayer subsidies. Now that Wal-Mart has sufficiently destroyed the income base that supports its operations and people are finding it more difficult to get credit through traditional channels, it's moving to offer its own line of consumer credit cards.

71. Post #50

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    What's the name of your corporation, what do produce and sell and what's the Wall Street ticker ID?
    Slys Rude Pharmacy. Our motto is "You'll get your prescription when I damn well feel like it". ID SRPrx.

But I assure you, Wal-Mart doesn't affect just big corporations.