Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Article on how humans are getting dumber

1. Post #1

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner ny86yanks's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Article on how humans are getting dumber

GMOs, pesticides, chemicals are all contributing to the DNA of humans mutating and making us dumber....

http://myscienceacademy.org/2013/02/...wly-declining/
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

"An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government" ~ Ron Paul

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ny86yanks For This Useful Post:

hoarder (02-18-2013), maxrider (02-17-2013)

3. Post #2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 866 Posts

Default Re: Article on how humans are getting dumber

People are getting dumber? Is that even possible?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JayDubya For This Useful Post:

smilershouse (02-18-2013)

5. Post #3

Thanks

Intelligence isn't rewarded by reproduction.
    -smooth thread killer

6. Post #4

Gold Member+
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 842 Posts

How many decades ago, did we put the first man on the moon?

Today, people still do not flush the toilet after they use it.

Looks like our world has not gotten any smarter.
    The US Government was designed to prevent people from killing and stealing our property.

But today, the government kills and takes our property.

7. Post #5

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 812 Posts

I suspected that this article was hyping things up and so I decided to check out the reference materials that were given in the article.

The first claim is that fluoride is making people stupid. So I checked the references. The study gave inconclusive results, and the people studying the effects of fluoride says that there is a possibly it could lower intelligence but more study is required. The study that was done was from data collected from China where fluoride levels where far in excess of what is allowed in the US.

In summary, fluoride in high levels far exceeding what occurs in the US may potentially cause problem in brain development. Conclusion, the article is very misleading on this point.

Secondly they claim that pesticides can lower IQ. So once again I check their references. The study they referenced was a study on chlorpyrifos a pesticide that is banned in the US. It is mostly dangerous at early development when the child is still in the fetus, this is a known effect and is true.

In summary, the article is one again very misleading. It is true that chlorpyrifos can be dangerous but the article implies that it is heavily used when it is in fact banned.

The third claim is that eating crap can make you stupid. I checked their references again and I couldn't actually find any studies done on this claim. It was just a string of articles referencing other articles, all making a claim without any real data. However I would be willing to grant them this. Of course what you eat effects your body, and if you eat all junk it can effect you. However what should cause pause here is that there is no data at all suggesting how many people eat the diet they are suggesting.

So in summary they said a hypothetical diet can reduce your intelligence but give no indication of how many people live off that sort of diet. So the data is basically useless. Maybe only half of a percent of people eat that sort of diet, in which case it wouldn't really be effecting us as a population. They give no data on it, so it is inconclusive at best.

Then we go to the extra references given. In which the leading scientist said the following and this is straight from the article.

"Crabtree’s hypothesis does not predict a future chock-full of dimwitted humans, however. Any noticeable decline in human cognition would likely take hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Human society will probably overcompensate for the problem long before then."

Hmm any noticeable decline would take hundreds if not thousands of years? That seems to go against the idea that the article is portraying of everyone getting stupid today.

In conclusion the article is all hype and there is little worry about any average american being dumber now than say 50 or 100 years ago.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alric For This Useful Post:

Fanakapan (02-18-2013)

9. Post #6

Thanks

I've long suspected that our technology in general was allowing stupider people to survive to breed.
    No longer do we have to outwit the lion for our dinner. No taking on the antelope with a stone knife. It's not even work or starve anymore. Even I'm guilty. I program the GPS instead of using a map or simply remembering where to go.
    There's no longer an incentive to breed to the intelligent.
    The market value of precious metals is, as that of all other things, in the compound ratio of their utility and of their scarcity.

Another reason all economic theories fail as scientifically verifiable models is that economics boils down to a very simple dynamic: those in power issue financial claims on resources as a "shortcut" way of gaining control of the resources without actually having to produce the resources or earn the wealth via labor and innovation. Charles Hugh Smith

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brosil For This Useful Post:

Cajuncoin (02-18-2013), GOLDZILLA (02-18-2013)

11. Post #7

Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 885 Posts

It's all the time spent surfing the Internet makes us dumber. We can now spend all day researching how we are all getting dumber. Forget that we might actually learn something in the process.
    "You have to prepare to die to really understand how to live".

12. Post #8

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus GOLDZILLA's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,636 Posts

All women feel a need to breed, problem is the smart guys want nothing to do with it due to the laws being written to chain them into slavery and give them no parental rights, so the women get knocked up by the village idiots that have nothing to lose so they breed like crazy.
    I'm a jeenyus, and i approve this massage.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GOLDZILLA For This Useful Post:

brosil (02-18-2013), Cajuncoin (02-18-2013), EO 11110 (02-18-2013), GOLD DUCK (02-18-2013), hoarder (02-18-2013)

14. Post #9

Thanks
    Thanked 6,490 Times in 3,146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alric View Post
    I suspected that this article was hyping things up and so I decided to check out the reference materials that were given in the article.

The first claim is that fluoride is making people stupid. So I checked the references. The study gave inconclusive results, and the people studying the effects of fluoride says that there is a possibly it could lower intelligence but more study is required. The study that was done was from data collected from China where fluoride levels where far in excess of what is allowed in the US.

In summary, fluoride in high levels far exceeding what occurs in the US may potentially cause problem in brain development. Conclusion, the article is very misleading on this point.

Secondly they claim that pesticides can lower IQ. So once again I check their references. The study they referenced was a study on chlorpyrifos a pesticide that is banned in the US. It is mostly dangerous at early development when the child is still in the fetus, this is a known effect and is true.

In summary, the article is one again very misleading. It is true that chlorpyrifos can be dangerous but the article implies that it is heavily used when it is in fact banned.

The third claim is that eating crap can make you stupid. I checked their references again and I couldn't actually find any studies done on this claim. It was just a string of articles referencing other articles, all making a claim without any real data. However I would be willing to grant them this. Of course what you eat effects your body, and if you eat all junk it can effect you. However what should cause pause here is that there is no data at all suggesting how many people eat the diet they are suggesting.

So in summary they said a hypothetical diet can reduce your intelligence but give no indication of how many people live off that sort of diet. So the data is basically useless. Maybe only half of a percent of people eat that sort of diet, in which case it wouldn't really be effecting us as a population. They give no data on it, so it is inconclusive at best.

Then we go to the extra references given. In which the leading scientist said the following and this is straight from the article.

"Crabtree’s hypothesis does not predict a future chock-full of dimwitted humans, however. Any noticeable decline in human cognition would likely take hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Human society will probably overcompensate for the problem long before then."

Hmm any noticeable decline would take hundreds if not thousands of years? That seems to go against the idea that the article is portraying of everyone getting stupid today.

In conclusion the article is all hype and there is little worry about any average american being dumber now than say 50 or 100 years ago.
    Are we able to refer to your posts as evidence?
    Truthfulness - Benevolence - Forbearance

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to newmisty For This Useful Post:

Argentium (02-18-2013), hoarder (02-18-2013)

16. Post #10

Thanks
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 866 Posts

If only ALL of them were labeled.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stupid-people.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	33583

17. Post #11

Thanks

18. Post #12

Thanks
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 757 Posts

Which of course is the Real crime ?? Progress ought to demand that succeeding generations should become incrementally Brighter ? But as that would make things harder for the Elites, who tend to become more stupid with each successive generation, we should look at the methods they have employed to Distract the masses ??

I can think of no other reason for the fact that the 6 or 7 heirs of John Walton now posses and aggregate wealth that is equal to a full 30% share of that held by Americans from the base of society upwards
    I'll be a Daisy if you do

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Fanakapan For This Useful Post:

Lt Dan (02-18-2013)

20. Post #13

Thanks

Obamacare future:

21. The Following User Says Thank You to GOLDZILLA For This Useful Post:

Silver Sabre (02-18-2013)

22. Post #14

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 812 Posts

In corrupt systems you don't really need to be smart to profit. You just need to be in a position of power and corrupt your self. Usually when the rich get richer isn't because they are smarter, or the general population is stupider, it is because they use money to bribe corrupt officials to give them advantages over others.

23. Post #15

Thanks

In corrupt systems you don't really need to be smart to profit. You just need to be in a position of power and corrupt your self. Usually when the rich get richer isn't because they are smarter, or the general population is stupider, it is because they use money to bribe corrupt officials to give them advantages over others.

Indeed, you do not have to be smart to rake it in if you are corrupt, but you do have to be smart to string it along for decades and never get caught or wacked by others more corrupt.

24. Post #16

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner ny86yanks's Avatar
    Thanks

you are mostly incorrect. of course chemicals hurt the IQ, they destroy the brain.

chemicals are most certainly destroying human cognitive function.

the water authority where I live seems to differ on your fluoride views.... http://www.waterauthorityofgreatneck...necessary.html
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

"An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government" ~ Ron Paul