Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Raw Honey prices

1. Post #1

Found a silver nugget Prospector
    Thanks

Default Raw Honey prices

I am looking to buy some raw honey directly from a beekeeper in my area and was wondering what the going rate is in your area for honey either by the gallon or by the pound?

2. Post #2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 713 Posts

Default Re: Raw Honey prices

Quote Originally Posted by DonDinero View Post
    I am looking to buy some raw honey directly from a beekeeper in my area and was wondering what the going rate is in your area for honey either by the gallon or by the pound?
    Wholesale prices were up this year to around $1.95 p/lb for grade A amber so you should expect to pay at least $4 p/lb for 2012 harvest in small quantities. If you can find a beek that sells by the 5gal bucket you may save a buck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jogslvr For This Useful Post:

DonDinero (02-27-2013)

4. Post #3

Thanks

Last year I bought a gallon bucket for about 50 dollars.
    Molon Labe I used to save Silver and Gold now I save Lead and Brass.

5. Post #4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 713 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garyw View Post
    Gallon of honey weighs 12 pounds to you paid a little over $4 p/lb

6. Post #5

Thanks

5 lb 4 oz containers in my neck of the woods are $26 each, but worth every penny........

7. Post #6

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

The "standard" price for honey is $5/lb. That's usually a good ballpark. Anything you can get below that is a good deal, anything above it less so depending on what you get. Make sure you ask what he considers raw honey (there is no official definition of "raw honey") and what he uses (if anything) to treat his bees. It's probably worth a bit more to know you're getting what you hope you're getting (ie I'm assuming raw honey from someone who doesn't put chemicals in the hive).

8. Post #7

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner dozer99's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DonDinero View Post
    Don,

PM me and let me know if you are on the west coast. I have a group in my family (sounds weird I know) that are beekeepers. They have hives all over Oregon, California, Nevada and Idaho. Like NewBob said the going rate is $5.00 per lb. They sell in 5 Gallon / 1 Gallon and Pint size.

9. Post #8

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner Hi Ho Silver's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool. I will sell you all you want for 45.00 a gallon
    $100OZ SILVER

~~Paddle faster I think I hear banjos~~

10. Post #9

Thanks

Raw honey usually means honey that was screened but not filtered and not heated to slow crystallization. The pollens are still present and active.
    The market value of precious metals is, as that of all other things, in the compound ratio of their utility and of their scarcity.

Another reason all economic theories fail as scientifically verifiable models is that economics boils down to a very simple dynamic: those in power issue financial claims on resources as a "shortcut" way of gaining control of the resources without actually having to produce the resources or earn the wealth via labor and innovation. Charles Hugh Smith

11. Post #10

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner Afterburn001's Avatar
    Thanks

My wife and I are beeks. We sell honey and pollen. We only have ten hives and sell locally (farmers market) for around $6.50 a pound. It's a good idea to buy raw from local beeks it's best for allergies. I know you can get 5 gallons for about $200.00 shipped from http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/ The best thing to do is get yourself a hive or two, it's easy, fun and each hive can yield 60lbs + a year.
    Mark

12. Post #11

Thanks

I know I probably paid a little too much. I bought from Glory Beee in Eugene Oregon. I expect they are a broker. Good quality though.Good reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by dozer99 View Post
    Don,

PM me and let me know if you are on the west coast. I have a group in my family (sounds weird I know) that are beekeepers. They have hives all over Oregon, California, Nevada and Idaho. Like NewBob said the going rate is $5.00 per lb. They sell in 5 Gallon / 1 Gallon and Pint size.

13. Post #12

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

I'm assuming that's what the OP wanted to purchase but there is no official definition of raw honey. So some beekeepers heat their honey up as much as they want to make it easier to bottle and often filter out pollen and impurities. That's why you want to talk to someone to see what they do to their honey. Legally they can bring their honey to a boil and call it raw.

Quote Originally Posted by brosil View Post
    Raw honey usually means honey that was screened but not filtered and not heated to slow crystallization. The pollens are still present and active.

14. Post #13

Thanks

If you want real raw honey try to buy from a beek or sources like glorybee or bushymountain and not the super market. a lot of people don't realize that most the honey you buy at stores is not real honey. Even if it says: "Pure Raw Honey". Honey from China, Mexico and Brazil is not natural. They feed their bees high fructose corn syrup from tanker trucks (no kidding) so the bees will render more product. I have seen videos of them doing this. It's insane!
    Mark

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Afterburn001 For This Useful Post:

Ebie (03-06-2013)

16. Post #14

Thanks

I read a story about a test that was preformed nationwide and 80% of honey from grocery stores was mixed with high frucose or all high frucose corn syrup. They mention large chains like walmart and safeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Afterburn001 View Post
    If you want real raw honey try to buy from a beek or sources like glorybee or bushymountain and not the super market. a lot of people don't realize that most the honey you buy at stores is not real honey. Even if it says: "Pure Raw Honey". Honey from China, Mexico and Brazil is not natural. They feed their bees high fructose corn syrup from tanker trucks (no kidding) so the bees will render more product. I have seen videos of them doing this. It's insane!

17. Post #15

Thanks

I read a story about a test that was preformed nationwide and 80% of honey from grocery stores was mixed with high frucose or all high frucose corn syrup. They mention large chains like walmart and safeway.

80% is on the low side. It really pisses me off! My wife and I sell all natural, pure, raw honey and pollen and it's hard to compete with the fake, cheap stuff. We spend more time educating our buyers on why it cost more but after they taste the difference they understand. There is nothing like real honey.

We will be selling again in a few weeks and have to bump up our prices a bit this year. For anyone that is interested: http://lakelandhoney.com/
    Mark

18. Post #16

Thanks
    Thanked 3,307 Times in 1,542 Posts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	realraw.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	35142

Really Raw Honey is the best I've ever had. It's not liquid but it is spreadable...

From their website:
    Really Raw Honey is a totally unprocessed whole food, that is never heated or strained, and contains all the pollen, propolis, vitamins, enzymes and trace minerals the bee's put into it. Creamy, smooth and spreadable, Really Raw Honey is more solid than liquid and each jar is capped with crunchy bits of honeycomb, pollen and propolis.

It's not inexpensive though so it's been a while since I've bought some.
    "I am convinced that there are more threats to American liberty within the 10 mile radius of my office on Capitol Hill than there are on the rest of the globe." -- Ron Paul, Texas Straight Talk - February 16, 2008

19. Post #17

Modal Operator/Moderator Goldhedge's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,618 Times in 5,919 Posts

Tests show most honey isn't really honey

http://www.goldismoney2.com/showthre...-Isn%92t-Honey
    "...a Republic, if you can keep it!" Ben Franklin

Derivatives are contracts whose value is derived from stocks, bonds, loans, currencies and
    commodities, or linked to specific events such as changes in interest rates or the weather.

"Money is the future idea of value." Armstrong

"Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance." Sun Tzu
    Be the change you want to see in the world. Gandhi

20. Post #18

Thanks

After finding the Katadyn filter at vitacost, I found this honey here. What do you guys think of the price?

http://m.vitacost.com/ys-eco-bee-far...-honey-22-oz-8