Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

View Poll Results: What do you fear more?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Being present when someone breaks into my home.

18 23.38%
  • Being away when someone breaks into my home.

59 76.62%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you fear more?

1. Post #51

Gold Member+
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,049 Posts

Default Re: What do you fear more?

In Canada, the bulk of robberies are done with knives instead of guns. Problem is, you don't know what the perp has until you see him, and there's a good chance he'll also see you at that point. So it's difficult to know how to defend here. I would choose a CCW to defend in a home invasion, but cannot obtain one because I am not licensed for CCW. Bit of a pickle.

Looking beyond survival and strictly at Canadian law, I feel it's more advantageous to improvise a weapon than to have something obvious on hand. I feel safer telling a LEO that I grabbed something nearby (like the fire extinguisher) than telling him I unloaded a few rounds of buckshot into the perp, or that I came out with my 18" machete. The latter instills no compassion and makes it harder to present one's self as the defendant. Not wise imho.

2. Post #52

Not just a screen name hammerhead's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by only4teeth View Post
    I'm serious.

I can understand why they want my firearms locked while I am away from my home, but I don't know why I can't defend myself with then when I am home ( with the exception of excessive force).
    The burden of proof is on the victim, the real victim that is.

3. Post #53

Midas Member
    Thanks

I can understand why they want my firearms locked while I am away from my home, ).
    Why do they want them?
    I suspect the reason in usually the same, home, or away.

4. Post #54

Thanks

This question (poll) has a flaw.
    Is the burglar unaware you are home and breaks in, or is it a home invasion?
    Big difference in whether you'll want to be home, the surprised burglar may or may not turn violent, may or may not be armed, and will be just as 'upset' as you.
    A home invader is well prepared to use violence and knows what is upcoming, and unfortunately for 98% of those responding they would rather be home, unless you sit around the homestead with your iron on your lap, you are mistaken, you have a very slim chance of coming out on top.

5. Post #55

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 795 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irons View Post
    Ebie, we don't call the police in my neck of the woods. That is why the criminals carry cell phones, they call the police if caught.
    that's the kind of American neighborhood I would like to live in where the criminals are more afraid of the homeowners!!
    The people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption. If it be intelligent, brave, and pure, it is because the people demand these high qualities to represent them in the national legislature. -President James Garfield

We have a giverment/takerment, we deserve a government for the people - AgAuGal 2010

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AgAuGal For This Useful Post:

Irons (03-07-2013)

7. Post #56

Thanks

Guy came to clean my carpets and noticed my targets (I have one on my bedroom door). He asked if I was the one who got nine in the black, I said yes and smiled. I said number 10 was slightly outside the black cause I got lazy
    The people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption. If it be intelligent, brave, and pure, it is because the people demand these high qualities to represent them in the national legislature. -President James Garfield

We have a giverment/takerment, we deserve a government for the people - AgAuGal 2010

8. Post #57

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ishkabibble View Post
    In Canada, the bulk of robberies are done with knives instead of guns. Problem is, you don't know what the perp has until you see him, and there's a good chance he'll also see you at that point. So it's difficult to know how to defend here. I would choose a CCW to defend in a home invasion, but cannot obtain one because I am not licensed for CCW. Bit of a pickle.

Looking beyond survival and strictly at Canadian law, I feel it's more advantageous to improvise a weapon than to have something obvious on hand. I feel safer telling a LEO that I grabbed something nearby (like the fire extinguisher) than telling him I unloaded a few rounds of buckshot into the perp, or that I came out with my 18" machete. The latter instills no compassion and makes it harder to present one's self as the defendant. Not wise imho.
    Where is the compassion for you as the homeowner being put in such a position as having to defend yourself and property???? Why would you be the defendant, would not the knucklehead that invaded your property be the defendant. He/she is the one breaking the law....this mindset seems backwards but that is our insane world...

9. Post #58

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner Jeremiah_Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shiny View Post
    This question (poll) has a flaw.
    Is the burglar unaware you are home and breaks in, or is it a home invasion?
    Big difference in whether you'll want to be home, the surprised burglar may or may not turn violent, may or may not be armed, and will be just as 'upset' as you.
    A home invader is well prepared to use violence and knows what is upcoming, and unfortunately for 98% of those responding they would rather be home, unless you sit around the homestead with your iron on your lap, you are mistaken, you have a very slim chance of coming out on top.
    I kept the questions simple and broad. I take the assumption that the entry is a surprise, which it usually is, while you are at home. While you hear the intruder enter or break in, you will not know whether the intruder is armed or not until you see him/her. You will not know whether the invader knew you were at home.
    Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure - Robert LeFevre

10. Post #59

Found a silver nugget Prospector only4teeth's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah_Wrong View Post
    I kept the questions simple and broad. I take the assumption that the entry is a surprise, which it usually is, while you are at home. While you hear the intruder enter or break in, you will not know whether the intruder is armed or not until you see him/her. You will not know whether the invader knew you were at home.
    For me at least, my answer would remain the same. Not to be home. There are too many variables to ensure my family and my own safety.

11. Post #60

Thanks
    Thanked 4,881 Times in 1,604 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AgAuGal View Post
    Guy came to clean my carpets and noticed my targets (I have one on my bedroom door). He asked if I was the one who got nine in the black, I said yes and smiled. I said number 10 was slightly outside the black cause I got lazy
    Like your decorating style....ahahahaaaa

Also WHY one needs high cap mags.....in the heat of the moment, it's easy to get 50% or more outside the black.
    "Fiat money is the child of the arrogance of human intellect, which has sought to invalidate the laws of human nature which have regarded the precious metals as money for thousands of years, and sought to substitute an intellectual construct for the real thing. Now we are going to pay for that arrogance." Hugo Salinas Price

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TnAndy For This Useful Post:

Argentsum (03-07-2013)

13. Post #61

Midas Member
    Thanks

For me at least, my answer would remain the same. Not to be home. There are too many variables to ensure my family and my own safety.
    Would you prefer to not be home the second time also?

14. Post #62

Thanks

I would much rather be away from home in the event of a break-in or robbery. There are too many things that can go wrong in a home defense situation.

In the event I am home during a break-in, I do have several firearms and am skilled in their use, so I do believe I would be able to successfully defend my home if necessary.

But in the end, stuff is just stuff and is replaceable. I value my life and my wife's life far more than anything I keep at home, be it firearms, PMs, preps, or otherwise.

15. Post #63

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TnAndy View Post
    Like your decorating style....ahahahaaaa

Also WHY one needs high cap mags.....in the heat of the moment, it's easy to get 50% or more outside the black.
    50% in a stressful sit might be kinda high. I was just shooting a friends 9MM w/ mag. I only own revolvers (even better shot with my Taurus) and my long guns.

16. Post #64

Found a silver nugget Prospector only4teeth's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ebie View Post
    Would you prefer to not be home the second time also?
    You don't seem to like my answers so I'm not really sure how you want me to answer this.

17. Post #65

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 897 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ebie View Post
    If the perp is armed, and you are holding a half reassembled unloaded gun, that could be more of a liability than an asset.
    That's why I keep one of these armed at all times. The effective range makes up for being under lock and key ....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nuclear_weapon.gif 
Views:	47 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	35148
    In vexillum of angelus quod liberi ... nos vadum reperio fidelis

18. Post #66

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by derickvv View Post
    I would much rather be away from home in the event of a break-in or robbery. There are too many things that can go wrong in a home defense situation.

In the event I am home during a break-in, I do have several firearms and am skilled in their use, so I do believe I would be able to successfully defend my home if necessary.

But in the end, stuff is just stuff and is replaceable. I value my life and my wife's life far more than anything I keep at home, be it firearms, PMs, preps, or otherwise.
    Completely understand where you are coming from and thanks for not accusing the others with differing views of being "tough guys". I have to admit, the thought of being in the position where you have to decide whether to use the firearm or not scares the hell out of me. I go to the range from time to time and practice safe handling at home. But how will things go under a stressful situation where your heart is beating at 2-3 times it's normal rate, and adrenaline is flowing? I wonder how effective I will be.

You're right it's just stuff, but as others have said coming home to find you were broken into has to be an awful feeling of being violated. I'm not an introvert by any means, but I am a private individual when it comes to my home. I don't have people over and consider my home to be my castle. I've worked my tail off in life to acquire the things I own. I also do not keep much fiat money in the bank as most is put into PM's and other tangibles. So if my house were broken into, my life savings could be gone in an instant. That's why I would rather be home to defend it, even if that thought scares me.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CopperSilverGold For This Useful Post:

90%RealMoney (03-12-2013), derickvv (03-07-2013), Jeremiah_Wrong (03-07-2013)

20. Post #67

Found a way in
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSilverGold View Post
    Completely understand where you are coming from and thanks for not accusing the others with differing views of being "tough guys". I have to admit, the thought of being in the position where you have to decide whether to use the firearm or not scares the hell out of me. I go to the range from time to time and practice safe handling at home. But how will things go under a stressful situation where your heart is beating at 2-3 times it's normal rate, and adrenaline is flowing? I wonder how effective I will be.

You're right it's just stuff, but as others have said coming home to find you were broken into has to be an awful feeling of being violated. I'm not an introvert by any means, but I am a private individual when it comes to my home. I don't have people over and consider my home to be my castle. I've worked my tail off in life to acquire the things I own. I also do not keep much fiat money in the bank as most is put into PM's and other tangibles. So if my house were broken into, my life savings could be gone in an instant. That's why I would rather be home to defend it, even if that thought scares me.
    Well said. And in the end I think my final answer would be the same here. I would want to be home, because I believe that most break ins are done by kids looking for thrills. The OP left the question vague to invite comments and opinions, so if I am left to create a scenario where things worked out as I planned, with the only restriction being that there must be a break in, then sure, I'd love to be the hero that took down the rabid predator and prevented him/her from ever doing evil again. I firmly believe in the statement that "all that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing".

But in the end, the ugly truth is that this thinking is a higher, more philosophical thought process that goes right out the window when you wake up and find yourself or your family staring at a burly guy(s) with a weapon. You probably have a few seconds to decide if you will choose "FIGHT or FLIGHT". Thankfully I have never been faced with this test of character, so I cannot truly answer. But if you are, choose wisely.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JusTemPrudage For This Useful Post:

CopperSilverGold (03-07-2013), derickvv (03-07-2013)

22. Post #68

Found a way in
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by minimus View Post
    That's why I keep one of these armed at all times. The effective range makes up for being under lock and key ....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nuclear_weapon.gif 
Views:	47 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	35148
    LOL! For some reason a scene from Jim Carrey's "The Mask" pops into my mind when I read this. "Enjoy your victory with one Freakin eye!!" as he jabs "the bad guy" with his thumb.

23. Post #69

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

C'mon guys. Simply buy a Saturday night special.

Every thief carries one don't they.
    Every last one of 'em, DON'T THEY GUYS!!
    yep.