Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 2013 West Point Silver Eagle Set Price and Release Date

1. Post #301

Thanks

Default Re: 2013 West Point Silver Eagle Set Price and Release Date

Quote Originally Posted by HistoryStudent View Post
    My MINT BOXED sets finally arrived yesterday.

Been months since I ordered a few hour(s) or hour into the first day.

They were perfect to the 5 power.

They are quite striking in dual comparison.

I may have to buy another slabbed set or two or three.
    I bought two sets in 70 - but the darn EU is so gorgeous I had to buy a MS69 to have one to sit out and look at! *lol*
    "Its a Tao thing!"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Master_Ho For This Useful Post:

HistoryStudent (08-16-2013), McBlzr (08-16-2013)

3. Post #302

Found a silver nugget Prospector McBlzr's Avatar
    Thanks

My camera is terrible, but here are my two sets
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3875.jpg   100_3877.jpg  

100_3879.jpg   100_3881.jpg  

Oh, Give me a Home where the Gold Buffalo roam !

4. Post #303

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Coins in hand and I made a mistake in my previous post... sorry
    *2 70 RP
    *1 70 MS
    All others 69

I cannot tell the difference between 69s/70s. I wonder if PCGS/NGC will tell why they made their decision?

Keeping the 70 set and was able to flip the 69... paid for the grading. Thinking about selling the mixed set if the fiat exchange works out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tekhen For This Useful Post:

Master_Ho (08-18-2013)

6. Post #304

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tekhen View Post
    Coins in hand and I made a mistake in my previous post... sorry
    *2 70 RP
    *1 70 MS
    All others 69

I cannot tell the difference between 69s/70s. I wonder if PCGS/NGC will tell why they made their decision?

Keeping the 70 set and was able to flip the 69... paid for the grading. Thinking about selling the mixed set if the fiat exchange works out.
    When the UHR gold coins came out a few years ago - my dealer friends (the majority) and myself (ordering the minority) had the breakdown of MS69's and 70's I descried below..............

But we had ONE coin - the only one of the MS69's that we couldn't see why..........the others - if we looked long enough with a strong enough loop we could see - but not this one...............we all said it was a 70!!! But that just drove me nuts - so I was sitting at home - brought out my visor with a special loop - and used all the other loops around here - and bang - there was a hole that looked like the grand canyon - but take one loop away and you couldn't see it with the others combined.

Point is - I hear a lot of people around here complain about a grade and claim they used a loop - I have heard (I did not claim to know for sure) the graders use microscopes...........and therein might lie the difference..................
    "Its a Tao thing!"

7. Post #305

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Ho View Post
    When the UHR gold coins came out a few years ago - my dealer friends (the majority) and myself (ordering the minority) had the breakdown of MS69's and 70's I descried below..............

But we had ONE coin - the only one of the MS69's that we couldn't see why..........the others - if we looked long enough with a strong enough loop we could see - but not this one...............we all said it was a 70!!! But that just drove me nuts - so I was sitting at home - brought out my visor with a special loop - and used all the other loops around here - and bang - there was a hole that looked like the grand canyon - but take one loop away and you couldn't see it with the others combined.

Point is - I hear a lot of people around here complain about a grade and claim they used a loop - I have heard (I did not claim to know for sure) the graders use microscopes...........and therein might lie the difference..................
    MH... the reason why it would be nice for the TPGs to explain the grade. From my understanding, both PCGS and NGC have two or three graders who must agree.
    All things considered, it is the best for now. If I decide to sell my 70 set(will not) I would have done ok.

8. Post #306

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tekhen View Post
    MH... the reason why it would be nice for the TPGs to explain the grade. From my understanding, both PCGS and NGC have two or three graders who must agree.
    All things considered, it is the best for now. If I decide to sell my 70 set(will not) I would have done ok.
    I guess my point was - if we used microscopes instead of loops - we might see more........but just a thought..............

Cheers!
    "Its a Tao thing!"

9. Post #307

Thanks
    Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,865 Posts

I guess my point was - if we used microscopes instead of loops - we might see more........but just a thought..............

Cheers!
    A professional grader in the latest Numismatic News magazine told us how to grade.

Number ONE get a set of 3 X 4X 7X good magnifiers.

USE them first while:

Rotating the coin in a dark room with UNDER and JUST one LIGHT regular (like 100 to 150 watt) not florescent.

Three have a 30 POWER dual eyepiece microscope for the final.
    Be careful out there; IT is a jungle.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HistoryStudent For This Useful Post:

Master_Ho (08-18-2013)

11. Post #308

Thanks

Cheers!
    A professional grader in the latest Numismatic News magazine told us how to grade.

TEN power was TOO much. TOO little viewing area.

USE them first while:

Rotating the coin in a dark room with UNDER and JUST one LIGHT regular (like 100 to 150 watt) not florescent.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HistoryStudent For This Useful Post:

Master_Ho (08-18-2013)

13. Post #309

Thanks

USE them first while:

So like an 84 loop??

Thats pretty much - how I found the grand canyon!!!

Honestly - the funniest thing was - if I took one loop away - it was gone - I still have to coin.............haven't pulled it out for a while to look at it so I think I can find it again..............but my eyes are glued to the new EU silver eagle! *lol*

Nice to see you my friend!!!

Cheers!

PS - after copying your post for my files - I got curious and checked something - I had a x7 loop..............the visor was x4 and the little loop on it was x4...........x4, so there you go - you nailed it!!!
    Last edited by Master_Ho; 08-18-2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: EXTRA BROWNIE POINTS FOR HS!!!
    "Its a Tao thing!"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Master_Ho For This Useful Post:

HistoryStudent (08-19-2013)

15. Post #310

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 624 Posts

psh, if you're not using an electron microscope, bouncing photons, and getting 100% reflection, it's at most a earplugsgrading xf-43....

16. Post #311

Thanks

technology has made it possible to see coin imperfections, dare I say down to a microscopic level.

now the question is, do I want to purchase the needed items or spend the 30+FRN to have the TPGs(FS/ER) grade my coin? I have come to the conclusion that for my personal collection I will continue to keep OGP/COA. If I want to sell/flip, I will grade and pass the fee onto the buyer.

Another thing is the technology of modern minting. How do these coins not come 'without' imperfections if minted properly?
    The EU was laser sketched from my understanding. Will the 'strike' of a 'punch' become obsolete?

17. Post #312

Thanks

USE them first while:

I did all of this...finished with a 30x dual eyepiece microscope...I spent upwards of 10 minutes per coin on the 3 69's I received and could only find 1 coin that matched the 69 grade...the other two had nothing, no marks, no indents, no missed frosting...should have been 70's as there was NO REASON to be downgraded

I've owned a few graded 70 coins that were not and NOW I have some 69's that are not...

18. Post #313

Thanks
    Thanked 6,481 Times in 3,140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    I did all of this...finished with a 30x dual eyepiece microscope...I spent upwards of 10 minutes per coin on the 3 69's I received and could only find 1 coin that matched the 69 grade...the other two had nothing, no marks, no indents, no missed frosting...should have been 70's as there was NO REASON to be downgraded

I've owned a few graded 70 coins that were not and NOW I have some 69's that are not...
    That's probably why they give it a goofy name like "Numismatics" and not "coin surface science".
    Truthfulness - Benevolence - Forbearance

19. Post #314

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post

THE REAL TRUTH...they have to grade a percentage 69, OR there would be no good premium for the MS 70.

PROBABLY 90+% of the initial struck issue is actually MS 70..HOW would the extra "flipping value" of MS 70's be maintained otherwise?....its all about the money. (as usual) Probably does not hurt to be "Con Vault" submitting thousands and being a VERY regular customer....gotta believe they get the nod more often than Joe Public submitting 5 sets.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Deweydog For This Useful Post:

earplugs (08-19-2013), HistoryStudent (08-19-2013), newmisty (08-19-2013), WhyKnow (08-19-2013)

21. Post #315

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newmisty View Post
    That's probably why they give it a goofy name like "Numismatics" and not "coin surface science".

Quote Originally Posted by Deweydog View Post
    THE REAL TRUTH...they have to grade a percentage 69, OR there would be no good premium for the MS 70.

PROBABLY 90+% of the initial struck issue is actually MS 70..HOW would the extra "flipping value" of MS 70's be maintained otherwise?....its all about the money. (as usual) Probably does not hurt to be "Con Vault" submitting thousands and being a VERY regular customer....gotta believe they get the nod more often than Joe Public submitting 5 sets.
    I can say this:
    50% 70's, for me, is a GREAT turnaround set of grades...normally I see about 30% 70's...(going off of recollection but I submit coins regularly)

BTW:
    I collect modern slabbed coins to hedge against any bullion issues that could arise such as what happened in 1933...numis got a "pass" at that time and one thing I have noticed is this current group, in office, repeats strategies done during their "great leaders" terms (FDR) and because of this, I am being really frugal with the certified coins I am flipping as I think their overall value, 68's and 69's especially, will increase as demand for certified coins will increase

Just one strategy I am running along with a few others such as buying lots of bullion for a GSR trade sometime in the future...just in case I get to keep this privilege

GL All

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Buck For This Useful Post:

WhyKnow (08-19-2013)

23. 08-19-2013, 06:03 PM

24. 08-19-2013, 06:04 PM

25. 08-19-2013, 06:05 PM

26. Post #316

Thanks

So like an 84 loop??

Thats pretty much - how I found the grand canyon!!!

Honestly - the funniest thing was - if I took one loop away - it was gone - I still have to coin.............haven't pulled it out for a while to look at it so I think I can find it again..............but my eyes are glued to the new EU silver eagle! *lol*

Nice to see you my friend!!!

Cheers!

PS - after copying your post for my files - I got curious and checked something - I had a x7 loop..............the visor was x4 and the little loop on it was x4...........x4, so there you go - you nailed it!!!
    S.O.B. those numismatic journals (magazines) are worth IT!

GOD Bless your pet COCK A TOO ...

Damn he reminds me of Master ....

"THERE'S MASTER HO's BIRD and he don't do NOTHING."

27. The Following User Says Thank You to HistoryStudent For This Useful Post:

Master_Ho (08-19-2013)

28. Post #317

Thanks

Upon much consideration and tired of waiting 3 months and still no coins, I cancelled my order with the Mint today. I didn't have much faith in this issue from the beginning anyway. So it was no great loss.

Maybe the Mint will reconsider the effects of minting to demand.
    "This is GIM, do you really think that sounds paranoid to any of us."

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrLucky For This Useful Post:

bully the fed. (08-22-2013), hernancortes (08-23-2013)

30. Post #318

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner b_cahill's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    Upon much consideration and tired of waiting 3 months and still no coins, I cancelled my order with the Mint today. I didn't have much faith in this issue from the beginning anyway. So it was no great loss.

Maybe the Mint will reconsider the effects of minting to demand.
    I have thought about cancelling mine also, but decided that I could be patient. I finally received a shipping notice last night. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I am expecting to receive someone else's reject at this point, but I figured that I can always send it back.
    “Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy.” ― Isaac Newton

31. Post #319

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b_cahill View Post
    I am expecting to receive someone else's reject at this point.
    That factored into my decision also. I ordered late. I wasn't really excited about this offering. If I had faith in this offering I would have ordered it early and sent it in for grading (like the RP Buffalo). But at this point, it wouldn't be worth grading for the reason you state. And if it was a really bad reject, sending it back negates the whole reason for getting it in the first place. At least for me. I'm not a big SAE collector anyway, and not having one won't cause me to lose any sleep. If I somehow decide I want one, I'll pick one up on eBay after the hype dies down. So you can all thank me for helping to keep the mintage numbers down.

32. Post #320

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 795 Posts

I have thought about cancelling mine also, but decided that I could be patient. I finally received a shipping notice last night. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I am expecting to receive someone else's reject at this point, but I figured that I can always send it back.
    Curious what you think of the 'reject' coins. Still did not purchase although I think they are interesting I just dont have the privilege, as another member said, right now to purchase two coins at high premium.
    The people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption. If it be intelligent, brave, and pure, it is because the people demand these high qualities to represent them in the national legislature. -President James Garfield

We have a giverment/takerment, we deserve a government for the people - AgAuGal 2010

33. Post #321

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,355 Times in 2,813 Posts

These must have gone over poorly with investors, saw them selling the 70s sets on coin tv last nite for $299.00

34. Post #322

Bain of the Authoritarian Follower Shortstack's Avatar
    Thanks

So did I, the my two sets will be arriving from the mint tomorrow. It had been so long that I had forgotten about the order...
    Grover Norquist (and his brother from the same mother, Dick Morris) is a son of a wh_ore

35. Post #323

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,355 Times in 2,813 Posts

Cheers!

Dont look too close, you may see the tungsten under the silver.

36. Post #324

Found a silver nugget Prospector
    Thanks

My set finally arrived today. An obvious flaw on each coin. Someone else's reject. Back they go, and no more purchases from the Mint for me.

37. Post #325

Thanks

Looks like the last of the sets are being shipped finally. My last-minute order just went in stock and reserved.

38. Post #326

Bain of the Authoritarian Follower Shortstack's Avatar
    Thanks

Look what just arrived. I ordered 10 minutes into the sale and received them today. Whatever
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

image.jpg  
    Grover Norquist (and his brother from the same mother, Dick Morris) is a son of a wh_ore

39. Post #327

Silver Member
    Thanks

Interesting if it turns out to be true.

http://mintnewsblog.com/2013/09/majo...gle-set-sales/

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to badhop55 For This Useful Post:

Foxwoods Man (09-18-2013), hernancortes (09-18-2013), howellzin (09-18-2013), Master_Ho (09-19-2013), SongSungAU (09-18-2013)

41. Post #328

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner tradeshack's Avatar
    Thanks

According to the US Mint, the revised unaudited sales total for the 2013 West Point Silver Eagle Set is 235,689 units.

This represents a reduction of 45,621 or 16.21% from the previously reported total. This is an even larger adjustment than had taken place for the 2012 San Francisco Silver Eagle Set which was reduced from 251,302 to 224,981, representing a reduction of 26,321 or 10.47%.

After the reduction, the 2013 West Point Set is no longer the highest mintage of the four Silver Eagle anniversary sets.

Mint News Blog

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tradeshack For This Useful Post:

howellzin (10-27-2013), savvydon (10-28-2013)

43. Post #329

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tradeshack View Post
    According to the US Mint, the revised unaudited sales total for the 2013 West Point Silver Eagle Set is 235,689 units.

This represents a reduction of 45,621 or 16.21% from the previously reported total. This is an even larger adjustment than had taken place for the 2012 San Francisco Silver Eagle Set which was reduced from 251,302 to 224,981, representing a reduction of 26,321 or 10.47%.

After the reduction, the 2013 West Point Set is no longer the highest mintage of the four Silver Eagle anniversary sets.

Mint News Blog
    Good deal, now if anyone is interested in one of these RARE sets go ahead and PM me I have somethin' for ya!

44. Post #330

Thanks

You can thank me (or not) now for not buying earlier and raising the mintage. If you remember, I cancelled after getting tired of the Mint games.

I just picked up a few sets in OGP for less than the original Mint offering price.

On the other hand, it shows the future of this offering if one can by them below the original offering price already.
    Last edited by MrLucky; 12-22-2013 at 05:22 PM.