Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: HS Student Arrested - Gun in His Truck Surprise

1. Post #1

Modal Operator/Moderator Goldhedge's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,361 Times in 7,026 Posts

Default HS Student Arrested - Gun in His Truck Surprise

N.C. High School Student Arrested for Accidentally Leaving Gun in His Truck Gets Huge (Awesome) Surprise

David "Cole" Withrow has been expelled and received a felony charge for accidentally leaving his shotgun in his truck at school and calling his mother to come pick it up when he realized the mistake. (Photo via "Free Cole"/Facebook)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shotgun.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	37206

In a matter of days, North Carolina high school student David "Cole" Withrow's situation has changed dramatically. For one, Liberty University announced Thursday that it will extend a scholarship to Withrow after he was suspended and arrested for accidentally leaving a shotgun in his pick-up truck parked in the school lot.

Withrow, a high school senior and Eagle Scout, had been skeet shooting the day before the incident and inadvertently neglected to store his firearm. Once he realized his error, he immediately locked the gun in his truck and went inside the school to call his mom so she could come pick it up.

But a Princeton High School official overhead Withrow's phone call to his mother and the school promptly called the police. After the gun was discovered in his truck, he was arrested and charged with a felony. The school is not allowing Withrow to return to school of the rest of the year, however, an attorney for Johnston County Schools on Thursday said he will still be allowed to graduate on time by attending an alternative school, WTVD-TV reports.

Now, Liberty University is stepping in to make sure that the high school senior will be able to continue on to college.

"In reaction to the gun control debate in America, Liberty University recently loosened - not strengthened - its concealed weapons policy on campus, and is now providing a scholarship to a North Carolina high school student who was arrested for leaving a shotgun in his pick-up truck in the school parking lot," the school announced in a press release provided to TheBlaze Thursday.

Jerry Falwell, Jr., the school's chancellor, told TheBlaze in a phone interview that he heard about Withrow's story by chance on a local evening news broadcast earlier this week and felt compelled to help. He actually called the student later that night and learned that he wanted to attend Liberty University but couldn't afford it.

Falwell said the school is prepared to "do whatever he needs" to help him complete four years of education at the university. The official terms of the scholarship will be discussed and agreed upon at a later date when the student meets with the school's admissions office, the chancellor added.

"We have a scholarship fund for outstanding students, such as honor students like him. So, because of what he's been through and how he's been mistreated for making an honest mistake...I went ahead and awarded him a scholarship," Falwell told TheBlaze, explaining that Withrow already meets many of the scholarship requirements anyway.

"I think he's a perfect fit for Liberty University," he added. "We will do whatever he needs to complete four years of tuition and room and board."

Falwell said "common sense" should have prevailed in Withrow's case. "I think they were just trying to make a point that guns are evil," he explained. "Our society is just going too far."

Before it was understood that Withrow would be able to graduate by completing an alternative schooling program, Liberty University was also offering to let him wrap-up his high school requirements through their online academy.

9087009_448x252
    David "Cole" Withrow (Source: WTVD-TV)

Earlier in the day, Falwell released the following statement: "When I reached out to encourage this responsible and impressive young man, I learned that he wanted to go to Liberty University, but couldn't afford it. I told him that we would do whatever he needed so that he can attend Liberty. Anti-gun zealots tried to vilify him for doing the right thing, so Liberty has decided to award him the help he needs to attend a private Christian college. I was really impressed with Cole. He is a humble and meek Christian kid who only wants to do the right thing! We want students like Cole Withrow."

As previously reported by TheBlaze, two school officials had reportedly brought guns onto school property in the past. One, a teacher at another high school within the district, was cited and resigned. The other is actually the assistant principal at Princeton High School where Cole spent the last four years. That person was suspended for three days and still works at the school. Neither case saw criminal charges like those Cole faces.

Liberty University allows qualified students, faculty and staff to carry concealed firearms on campus and in all buildings, excluding residence halls. You can follow Liberty University on twitter @LibertyU.

TheBlaze has reached out to Liberty University and is expected to receive comment soon. We will update this story at that time.

http://news.yahoo.com/n-c-high-schoo...201830213.html
    "...a Republic, if you can keep it!" Ben Franklin

Derivatives are contracts whose value is derived from stocks, bonds, loans, currencies and
    commodities, or linked to specific events such as changes in interest rates or the weather.

"Money is the future idea of value." Armstrong

"Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance." Sun Tzu
    Be the change you want to see in the world. Gandhi

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goldhedge For This Useful Post:

GOLD DUCK (05-03-2013), RoadKing (05-03-2013), smooth (05-03-2013)

3. Post #2

Midas Member
    Thanks

Default Re: HS Student Arrested - Gun in His Truck Surprise

Be careful what you say on a school telephone.

4. Post #3

Thanks

He should have just gone home when he realized the error and take a sick day. Sounds like he can afford to miss a day and not fall behind.
    "This is GIM, do you really think that sounds paranoid to any of us."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrLucky For This Useful Post:

Ebie (05-02-2013), GOLDBRIX (05-03-2013)

6. Post #4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,007 Times in 587 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ebie View Post
    Be careful what you say on a school telephone.
    WOW!!!! A teeenager without a "cellular device"! That is an aboration in itself.

Got to be a good kid becoming a good man.
    . . . they have seduced my people, saying, Peace; and there was no Peace . . . . Ezekiel 13:10)

IF the Muslim / Palestinian terrorists quit launching and firing weapons at Israel there would be PEACE.
    IF Israel would quit firing weapons there would be GENOCIDE

" We have gold because we can not trust our governments". - President Herbert Hoover , 1933

Gb

7. Post #5

Thanks
    Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    He should have just gone home when he realized the error and take a sick day. Sounds like he can afford to miss a day and not fall behind.
    The only should have in this story is the reaction of the corporately regarded school administrators. They should have not been total asses.

8. Post #6

Thanks
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,022 Posts

Am I the only one who read the thread title as "History Student" (as in the GIMMER) arrested?
    I never left the Repubican party. The Republican party moved Left from me.

Dead Dingo's Donger Trading Group
    Barking mad hairy chested trading for real men.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eat Beef For This Useful Post:

<===Foolsgold (05-03-2013), DodgebyDave (05-03-2013), jogslvr (05-03-2013)

10. Post #7

Thanks

Wow, I am not going to go to North Carolina anytime soon. In my state they can pound sand if there is a gun in the vehicle. Even if it is on school grounds. In this case it will be interesting to see how they try going for a felony. The way that I read their constitution this is a Misdemeanor at best. Way to go Liberty University.

11. Post #8

Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 Times in 3,543 Posts

QWAK,I was less concerned about going to the VILLE in NAM back in 71/72 than I am today just going to town to buy groceries!

That is a FACT and I am not kidding!

I look for COPS now not VC or COWBOYS or IEDS which I did experience there --- one got me on my dirt road --- said I was driving CARLESSLY! Gave me a $250.00 TICKET --- I told him it was just REVENUE INHANCMENT and I think he thought it was a DIRTY WORD in some languege he could not understand --- which it obviously WAS!

I'm thinkin PUSH BACK TIME has come and it is gona get UGLY!

the DUCK
    "ALL is ONE" What we DO to and FOR others we DO "TO and FOR" our selves ultimitly!

People SELDOM look for TRUTH! What they look for is CONFERMATION that what they have chosen to believe IS TRUTH! This is why people will believe almost ANY THING and also WHY the WORLD is SO MESSED UP!

IT is never realy OVER -- things just CHANGE!

You can QUOTE me on ALL! It IS what I believe to be TRUE!

I AM, the DUCK

12. Post #9

Thanks
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,022 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sport View Post
    Wow, I am not going to go to North Carolina anytime soon. In my state they can pound sand if there is a gun in the vehicle. Even if it is on school grounds. In this case it will be interesting to see how they try going for a felony. The way that I read their constitution this is a Misdemeanor at best. Way to go Liberty University.
    Regardless of what you think your state law says, .Fed says having a firearm within 1000 feet of a public indoctrination camp is a crime. This includes driving by on a street within the radius. Exception being if you have licensed the firearm and yourself, but there have been convictions that muddy the exemption.

Reference the Gun Free Schools Acts of 90 and 95.
    I never left the Repubican party. The Republican party moved Left from me.

Dead Dingo's Donger Trading Group
    Barking mad hairy chested trading for real men.

13. Post #10

Thanks

QWAK,I am thinking "SIT INS WITH GUNS" --- toys at first and always UNLOADED so virtualy HARMLESS will be coming!

Very likely some NEW kind of HIPPIES will get SHOT but it will take that to stop the foolishness concerning guns.

IF that don't stop the crazyness and the cops go APE S**T and open fire -- they will be inventing new words to replace UGLY!

the DUCK
    "ALL is ONE" What we DO to and FOR others we DO "TO and FOR" our selves ultimitly!

People SELDOM look for TRUTH! What they look for is CONFERMATION that what they have chosen to believe IS TRUTH! This is why people will believe almost ANY THING and also WHY the WORLD is SO MESSED UP!

I AM, the DUCK

14. Post #11

Thanks
    Thanked 6,490 Times in 3,146 Posts

Read the title to the thread quickly and thought HISTORY STUDENT got arrested!
    Truthfulness - Benevolence - Forbearance

15. Post #12

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newmisty View Post
    Read the title to the thread quickly and thought HISTORY STUDENT got arrested!
    QWAK,newmisty,Have you concidered the posability you just had a "FLASH FORWARD" and your precognigitive abilities are presenting?

A "FLASH FORWARD" is or could be as valid as a "FLASH BACK" and they may actualy come and arrest HISTORY STUDENT in the future!

It is the CASONDRA effect and it happens to me all the time.

I would not mind if it was good stuff flashed forward BUT it is almost always BAD FLASH FORWARDS!

PS:Have FUN -- WAKEY wakey!

http://consciouslifenews.com/how-to-...ineal/1138045/

the DUCK
    Last edited by GOLD DUCK; 05-03-2013 at 03:32 PM.

I AM, the DUCK