Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Turning soda cans into solar heating panels

1. Post #1

Modal Operator/Moderator Goldhedge's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,203 Times in 6,586 Posts

Default Turning soda cans into solar heating panels

"...a Republic, if you can keep it!" Ben Franklin

Derivatives are contracts whose value is derived from stocks, bonds, loans, currencies and
    commodities, or linked to specific events such as changes in interest rates or the weather.

"Money is the future idea of value." Armstrong

"Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance." Sun Tzu
    Be the change you want to see in the world. Gandhi

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Goldhedge For This Useful Post:

Ahillock (05-09-2013), Kkernell (05-09-2013), lighthousekeeper73 (05-09-2013), Ragnarok (05-10-2013), searcher (05-09-2013)

3. Post #2

Modal Operator/Moderator Goldhedge's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,203 Times in 6,586 Posts

Default Re: Turning soda cans into solar heating panels

Greg's Pop-Can Solar Space Heating Collector

Greg's solar air heating collector uses recycled aluminum soda pop cans for the absorber. The pop cans have the tops and bottoms drilled out, and are assembled into vertical columns that the air passes through.

In operation, the black painted soda pop cans are heated by the sun, warming the air that is flowing up through the cans.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GregCa1.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	37514 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GregCa2.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	37515

A manifold at the bottom evenly distributes room air to all the can columns, and a similar manifold at the top of the collector collects the heated air for distribution back to the room.

The combination of uniform air distribution to the whole collector and the large amount of heat transfer area from the cans to the air makes for an efficient collector. Greg's collector also uses Twinwall polycarbonate glazing -- this is a type of double glazing that reduces heat loss and increases the efficiency of the collector.

Download Greg's detailed 22 page description of how to build this collector... (3 mb pdf)

Thanks very much to Greg for so care fully documenting building the collector, and for making the plans available!

more pics:
    http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects.../GregCanCo.htm
    "...a Republic, if you can keep it!" Ben Franklin

Derivatives are contracts whose value is derived from stocks, bonds, loans, currencies and
    commodities, or linked to specific events such as changes in interest rates or the weather.

"Money is the future idea of value." Armstrong

"Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance." Sun Tzu
    Be the change you want to see in the world. Gandhi

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goldhedge For This Useful Post:

Ragnarok (05-26-2013), searcher (05-09-2013)

5. Post #3

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Great Video! It's awesome how these people come up with the ideas for the secondary use of these items.

Here is a simliar video, I hope you enjoy!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lighthousekeeper73 For This Useful Post:

Goldhedge (05-09-2013), Kkernell (05-09-2013), searcher (05-11-2013)

7. Post #4

Thanks
    Thanked 4,153 Times in 2,012 Posts

Very cool. If you live in an area that is cloudy/overcast much of the time, I wonder if this would still make sense and be worthwhile?

Such a great idea.

8. Post #5

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner TRYNEIN's Avatar
    Thanks

interesting and useful

9. Post #6

Thanks
    Thanked 4,153 Times in 2,012 Posts

You guys think you could make something similar and use it as a hot water heater?

10. Post #7

Thanks
    Thanked 3,028 Times in 1,547 Posts

[QUOTE=Ahillock;541825]Very cool. If you live in an area that is cloudy/overcast much of the time, I wonder if this would still make sense and be worthwhile?

This type of collector will still provide some heat even on a cloudy day, though not near as much as with sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahillock View Post
    You guys think you could make something similar and use it as a hot water heater?
    The aluminum cans probably wouldn't last very long if you had any minerals in your water at all, and electrogalvanic corrosion between the aluminum and other metals in the plumbing might be an issue.

There are commercial solar water heaters built along the same lines though, using blackened copper pipes in evacuated glass tubes as one example. They can provide hot water on sunny days when the outside temp is freezing.

R.
    "Walk the gold trails of my good friend, do I. On my feet are "strong sole" of thick leather, purchased with much knowledge of physical gold. These shoes not go bare before our journey is done. On trail I see your "thin sole" gold investments cast aside and scavenged by beasts." - ANOTHER (THOUGHTS!) (04/14/01; 18:08:54MT - #: 51887)

Personal best on calm water: SAE - 32 skips. GAE - 21 skips.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnarok For This Useful Post:

WhyKnow (05-10-2013)

12. Post #8

Thanks

Here are some ideas:

gallery of solar homes

Build it Solar - Solar Water Heating

13. Post #9

Thanks
    Thanked 4,801 Times in 3,188 Posts

QWAK,Ahillock,I built one about 30 years ago using copper pipe with flatened beer/soda cans stapled over the riser pipes and painted flat black. I used a comercial building door frame insolated with 1/2" foam and with glass top to trap the heat.

It worked ok in the hot summer sun to help heat my hot tub/pond --- it is kind of neat but not realy very efficient

It was an interesting experiment but it is just out in the yard now and no longer hooked up to the hot tub --- at night it drained the heat even faster because it acted like a radiator and because of the differnce in temp --- it circulated the water with out the pump running.

Some good ideas just are not as good as hoped or imagined.

the DUCK
    "ALL is ONE" What we DO to and FOR others we DO "TO and FOR" our selves ultimitly!

People SELDOM look for TRUTH! What they look for is CONFERMATION that what they have chosen to believe IS TRUTH! This is why people will believe almost ANY THING and also WHY the WORLD is SO MESSED UP!

IT is never realy OVER -- things just CHANGE!

You can QUOTE me on ALL! It IS what I believe to be TRUE!

I AM, the DUCK

14. Post #10

Thanks
    Thanked 1,332 Times in 828 Posts

There needs to be some kind of plenum with a check valve for the summer. Very labor intensive too compared to available aluminum or copper tubing. Just because you can build something out of scrap does not mean you should.

15. Post #11

Thanks
    Thanked 4,801 Times in 3,188 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nickndfl View Post
    There needs to be some kind of plenum with a check valve for the summer. Very labor intensive too compared to available aluminum or copper tubing. Just because you can build something out of scrap does not mean you should.
    QWAK,nickndfl,A plenum may (?) work with heating air BUT with water the system MUST be totaly DRAINED if thep goes below freezing!

The freezing water will split and burst copper tubing and I have personaly seeninch and a half cast steel pipe fitings crack open because of freezing!

the DUCK
    "ALL is ONE" What we DO to and FOR others we DO "TO and FOR" our selves ultimitly!

People SELDOM look for TRUTH! What they look for is CONFERMATION that what they have chosen to believe IS TRUTH! This is why people will believe almost ANY THING and also WHY the WORLD is SO MESSED UP!

IT is never realy OVER -- things just CHANGE!

You can QUOTE me on ALL! It IS what I believe to be TRUE!

I AM, the DUCK

16. Post #12

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper73 View Post
    Great Video! It's awesome how these people come up with the ideas for the secondary use of these items.

Here is a simliar video, I hope you enjoy!

I don't mean to hijack this thread but you can get a similar effect with a bottle of water on your cell phone / smart phone light. It is amazing how much brighter the light appears to be when using that trick.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-FENZ For This Useful Post:

Goldhedge (05-26-2013), Mantokir (05-26-2013)

18. Post #13

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENZ View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but you can get a similar effect with a bottle of water on your cell phone / smart phone light. It is amazing how much brighter the light appears to be when using that trick.
    and I was wondering how I could test this.... Thanks. :-D
    There are no links or URLs of any kind allowed in signatures. Thank you.