Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Junk silver coins premium

1. Post #1

Getting Acclimated Prospector
    Thanks

Default Junk silver coins premium

Hey Guys,

I have been buying junk silver coins for years but can't seem to find any for sale. This tells me the public isn't selling the coins at all!! The premium for these coins has really become WAY to high! I use this calculator to determine the melt value of my current coins http://www.coinvalues.com/silver (it's the best I have found). Does anyone know of dealers with junk silver in stock with a reasonable premium? Dealers seem to be charging $4.00 over melt for junk bags, this is just WAY to much in my opinion. Would like to hear your thoughts.

2. Post #2

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,658 Times in 4,236 Posts

Default Re: Junk silver coins premium

Quote Originally Posted by savewithsilver View Post
    Hey Guys,

I have been buying junk silver coins for years but can't seem to find any for sale. This tells me the public isn't selling the coins at all!! The premium for these coins has really become WAY to high! I use this calculator to determine the melt value of my current coins http://www.coinvalues.com/silver (it's the best I have found). Does anyone know of dealers with junk silver in stock with a reasonable premium? Dealers seem to be charging $4.00 over melt for junk bags, this is just WAY to much in my opinion. Would like to hear your thoughts.
    The market is not in agreement with your opinion. Oh well...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gcubed For This Useful Post:

TomD (05-11-2013)

4. Post #3

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gcubed View Post
    The market is not in agreement with your opinion. Oh well...
    What are you talking about? If my opinion is wrong please tell me where to buy junk silver for low premiums.

5. Post #4

Banned
    Thanks

What are you talking about? If my opinion is wrong please tell me where to buy junk silver for low premiums.
    The market determines the premium. You can either accept or reject it. Can't see a way of you changing it. Kay Sara Sara.

Try Tulving.com or Apmex.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gcubed For This Useful Post:

curmudgeonista (05-11-2013)

7. Post #5

Thanks
    Thanked 6,479 Times in 3,138 Posts

Hey Guys,

Maybe you should drink sugar free kool-aid.
    Truthfulness - Benevolence - Forbearance

8. The Following User Says Thank You to newmisty For This Useful Post:

Gcubed (05-11-2013)

9. Post #6

Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 592 Posts

Dude,
    I have some junk that I will sell to you at NO premium!

That's right I will sell it to you for the same price I paid for it... that would be about 28/1 or so.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to glockngold For This Useful Post:

Gcubed (05-11-2013)

11. Post #7

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner msolorio3's Avatar
    Thanks

I would give Provident a try. They have a bag of $100 FV for $1995.92

Although, I will say this. I went by the LCS on Friday and the gentleman told me that I would be better off buying 10 ounce silver bars because the premiums on 90% silver are just too high right now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to msolorio3 For This Useful Post:

Gcubed (05-11-2013)

13. Post #8

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newmisty View Post
    Maybe you should drink sugar free kool-aid.
    Do you have a coherent thought you would like to share? It seems to me if dealers don't have the coins in stock, and they only get them from the public, the public isn't selling. Please enlighten me.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savewithsilver For This Useful Post:

Ahillock (05-11-2013), hoarder (05-12-2013)

15. Post #9

Thanks
    Thanked 6,479 Times in 3,138 Posts

You have a search function? Try Tulving yet? Plenty of junk always changing hands. Don't go to extremes.
    Truthfulness - Benevolence - Forbearance

16. The Following User Says Thank You to newmisty For This Useful Post:

Gcubed (05-11-2013)

17. Post #10

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner Hi Ho Silver's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey Guys,

Welcome to SARCASM is Money!!! Enjoy your stay!
    $100OZ SILVER

~~Paddle faster I think I hear banjos~~

18. Post #11

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Hey Guys,

My observation is that premium over spot price on junk silver is higher now than it was a few months ago. Much higher in most cases. More than likely thicker spreads too (buying vs selling prices). Is the premium way too high? Could be. I am not sure. It's all relative. It possible that people in your area would rather not sell now but buyers are abundant. Sellers could be waiting for prices to rise which they might. Might fall too. No one really knows for sure. As was mentioned earlier, market is what it is. There are some dealers that usually have some junk silver for sale though as was posted earlier. In my experience and from what I've read, Tulving, APMEX, Silvertowne, Provident Metals are pretty reliable dealers overall. More than likely premium will be high there too due to current strong demand. Hope this helps a little.

19. Post #12

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,405 Posts

The rent is too damn high, too!

But, I don't think the landlord is going to offer it to me any cheaper if someone else is willing to pay higher.

Gcubed is right. It's the market. He's not the type to try to explain too much when he figures it's self-explanatory, though. I'm betting he doesn't mean you should necessarily rush on out to pay it... unless you just gotta' have some. But, it is what it is, and bitchin' and moanin' isn't going to change it.

20. Post #13

Thanks

there have been several threads on this in the last few months, the last few weeks especially.

tulving right now has halves at 3.49 over, which is about as good as you will do with any dealer.

the premium on everything is high, and for some reason the premium on 90 has not only increased in absolute terms but relative to everything else - I was able to trade 90 straight up for Maple Leafs not that long ago. Or, you can trade your 90 for increased generic ounces, which is also wise imho.

21. Post #14

Thanks
    Thanked 2,056 Times in 983 Posts

Must you buy junk silver? or is it just the silver you seek?? Premiums tend to drift for different products. If it were me, I would just buy in a different form for now if you like the current spot price. And if you really want junk, maybe try to trade for it later (private trades can be done).
    I spent my whole childhood either having great fun, or sitting in the corner.

22. Post #15

Thanks

If you have a local fleamarket, rent yourself a table and buy Precious Metals. My opinion is the market is out of whack and will be for some time, this means I'm just storing up "dry powder" right now.
    Hey Guys,

You better keep on truckin...or a bus is gonna run over your ass...

23. Post #16

Gold Member+
    Thanks

The market has determined that the value of junk silver is around $28/ounce, and not what the paper silver market says it's at.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ~BS For This Useful Post:

Ahillock (05-11-2013), andial (05-11-2013), hoarder (05-12-2013), WhyKnow (05-11-2013), wiper (05-13-2013)

25. Post #17

Gold Member+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smooth View Post
    Must you buy junk silver? or is it just the silver you seek?? Premiums tend to drift for different products. If it were me, I would just buy in a different form for now if you like the current spot price. And if you really want junk, maybe try to trade for it later (private trades can be done).
    Such as?

Silvertowne is selling generic 2013 silver maples for $33.90, or $10 over spot.

http://www.silvertowne.com/p-21786-2...af-1oz-bu.aspx

Apmex is selling silver eagles at over $29 each.

When you take this into consideration, junk silver is still cheap at $28/ounce

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~BS For This Useful Post:

Ahillock (05-11-2013), hoarder (05-12-2013)

27. Post #18

Thanks
    Thanked 2,056 Times in 983 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ~BS View Post
    Such as?

Silvertowne is selling generic 2013 silver maples for $33.90, or $10 over spot.

http://www.silvertowne.com/p-21786-2...af-1oz-bu.aspx

Apmex is selling silver eagles at over $29 each.

When you take this into consideration, junk silver is still cheap at $28/ounce
    Silver rounds @ $1.49 over spot. Before shipping.
    http://www.providentmetals.com/ohio-...-iso-9001.html
    Last edited by smooth; 05-11-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: fixed link
    I spent my whole childhood either having great fun, or sitting in the corner.

28. Post #19

Thanks
    Thanked 4,649 Times in 1,781 Posts

I'm still not too sure as to how "spot" price is derived but I do know that the computation involves a a large amount of hypothetical silver. On occasion the price for hypothetical silver becomes discombobulated on the low side from the price of real hold-in-your-hand silver and the holders of the real silver say "screw you, I ain't sellin' for that!" The difference between the price of hypothetical silver and the price of real silver is known as "premium".

Now, if you want a piece of paper swearing that you own some silver somewhere, I'm pretty sure we can find you some nonexistent silver for about $24 per (nonexistent) ounce. If, however, you want some on my silver for that price, forget it.

The disconnect between the prices of real and pretend silver (and gold) became insane in 2008 and early 2009. Forget premiums, you couldn't buy real silver anywhere.
    Oppressing everyone to avoid oppressing anyone is the egalitarian ethos gone mad.- Daniel Greenfield

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. -C.S. Lewis

The home of the brave came before the land of the free.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomD For This Useful Post:

Ahillock (05-11-2013), curmudgeonista (05-12-2013)

30. Post #20

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner squirk's Avatar
    Thanks

And there is another factor you need to take into account.....they can't make any more "junk" silver. There does seem to be a real and actual shift in the market as it is concerned with pre 1965 coins (I personally hate the term JUNK, as it is anything but that). Like another poster said, you dont HAVE to buy junk. Even in this current market there are values to be found.

31. Post #21

Gold Member+
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,204 Times in 820 Posts

Anyone still melting 90%? Probably so, up until recently. Did anyone buy 90% at $45 spot with a $3 discount and are holding? Probably so. Do they make any more 90%? No. Are you willing to buy mine for the price I am willing to sell at? Obviously not. Tipping point of 90% premium? Maybe.

32. Post #22

Modal Operator/Moderator Goldhedge's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,481 Times in 6,683 Posts

Apmex has a $1000 face 90% for $19,941.35

Coloradogold has $1000 face 90% 20,038.19 with a 7 day wait.

Providentmetals has $1000 face 90% $19,959.22 cash price.

Seems they're selling as many bags as you want!
    "...a Republic, if you can keep it!" Ben Franklin

Derivatives are contracts whose value is derived from stocks, bonds, loans, currencies and
    commodities, or linked to specific events such as changes in interest rates or the weather.

"Money is the future idea of value." Armstrong

"Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance." Sun Tzu
    Be the change you want to see in the world. Gandhi

33. Post #23

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goldhedge View Post

Ya fergot Tulving, $19,276.40 delivered.

34. Post #24

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,165 Times in 2,174 Posts

Junk is generally accepted to be " the Survivalist" preferred form of Silver to hold. That says a lot in our current state. Do junk hoarders know something the average silver bugs do not?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to 917601 For This Useful Post:

Ahillock (05-12-2013)

36. Post #25

Thanks
    Thanked 4,649 Times in 1,781 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Goldhedge View Post

So everyone is about $3 over spot. Amazing how times change, 90% used to always sell for below spot.
    Oppressing everyone to avoid oppressing anyone is the egalitarian ethos gone mad.- Daniel Greenfield

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. -C.S. Lewis

The home of the brave came before the land of the free.

37. Post #26

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    So everyone is about $3 over spot. Amazing how times change, 90% used to always sell for below spot.
    i've got some 40%. its the poor man's 90%. still available for less than spot.

38. Post #27

Thanks

When you look at them places online did you happen to notice their buy price? Obviously they have to charge more than they have to pay. I sold my 90% and bought 10 oz bars for less premium- so I gots more silver. Just saying.
    Try this on for size if you don't like paying premium. HH Mark
    http://www.goldismoney2.com/showthre...-for-90-SILVER!!!
    Last edited by ME Co.; 05-12-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    Life is a coin, you can spend it any way you want but you can only spend it once.

39. Post #28

Thanks

Just got back from the Fleamarket, the only dealer willing to sell 90% was at 24x face, $33.57 silver anyone?
    You better keep on truckin...or a bus is gonna run over your ass...

40. Post #29

Thanks
    Thanked 4,431 Times in 2,145 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 917601 View Post
    Junk is generally accepted to be " the Survivalist" preferred form of Silver to hold. That says a lot in our current state. Do junk hoarders know something the average silver bugs do not?
    Exactly. 90% has its place in someone's stash. Especially for the survivalist/SHTF type scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by ME Co. View Post
    When you look at them places online did you happen to notice their buy price? Obviously they have to charge more than they have to pay. I sold my 90% and bought 10 oz bars for less premium- so I gots more silver. Just saying.
    Try this on for size if you don't like paying premium. HH Mark
    http://www.goldismoney2.com/showthre...-for-90-SILVER!!!
    Trading up is a good thing but hopefully you still kept some of your 90%

41. Post #30

Thanks
    Thanked 2,138 Times in 1,353 Posts

I've always thought of my 90% as my absolute core position in silver. Bought most of it really cheap by today's standards and have no plans to sell in a non-SHTF situation. Everything else in .999 is negotiable for sale, dependent on current spot price, and/or other factors.
    "The two most common substances in the Universe are hydrogen and stupidity."

Be the Organ Grinder, not the Monkey.

A Trillion Dollars is a stack of $100 bills, 679 miles high.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Argentium For This Useful Post:

Ahillock (05-12-2013)

43. Post #31

Thanks

FYI-- Bought $30 face quarters for 19 x face today at a LCS also bought 2 ASE BU 26 each. 3 miles away there is another LCS at 22 x face for 90% and he had a few ASEs for 32.

Deals are there, just gotta hit the right place at the right time
    $100OZ SILVER

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hi Ho Silver For This Useful Post:

Pyramid (05-13-2013), smooth (05-14-2013)

45. Post #32

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hi Ho Silver View Post
    FYI-- Bought $30 face quarters for 19 x face today at a LCS also bought 2 ASE BU 26 each. 3 miles away there is another LCS at 22 x face for 90% and he had a few ASEs for 32.

Deals are there, just gotta hit the right place at the right time
    And if you wanted > 2 ASE you would be SOL.

46. Post #33

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Would it be considered rude to LOL at the OP's opinion....because I am.

47. Post #34

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ahillock View Post
    And if you wanted > 2 ASE you would be SOL.
    At this LCS yes...but I'm sure there are plenty of places you can grab more shiny at these prices
    $100OZ SILVER

48. Post #35

Found a silver nugget Prospector
    Thanks

Do you have a coherent thought you would like to share? It seems to me if dealers don't have the coins in stock, and they only get them from the public, the public isn't selling. Please enlighten me.
    Of course they aren't selling. Anyone who has purchased 90% in the last few years has purchased when silver was $25-$50, why would they sell for a loss unless they absolutely needed the cash and couldn't get it any other way? If you've been stacking a long time and got it when it was cheaper, you likely traded it when it was in the $40's if you were looking to increase your stack, why do it when it's down? If you've been stacking a while and have a decent supply of various forms (junk, rounds, bars of various weights, sterling, etc) and don't need the money, it makes sense to keep what you have rather than trade in or out. Nobody knows what the future holds, so shorting yourself in one form for what may be more ounces of something in less demand in the future may not be the best move. Let the price come back up a bit and the supply may loosen up accordingly.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to valediction For This Useful Post:

Ahillock (05-14-2013)

50. Post #36

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hi Ho Silver View Post
    At this LCS yes...but I'm sure there are plenty of places you can grab more shiny at these prices
    At least they had two. My LCS hasn't had any silver in stock for over a month now.