Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 dollars buys you a $100 silver coin

1. Post #1

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 609 Posts

Default 100 dollars buys you a $100 silver coin

Okay, this is really twisted. The Royal Canadian Mint is now offering a silver coin with a legal tender "face value" of $100 CAD.

They are selling them for...$100 CAD.

The catch being that they only contain slightly more then a troy oz of silver.

http://www.mint.ca/store/coin/coin-p...3#.UZW8UrHn_1J

Its an interesting premise. If we go into a deflation the face value becomes more valuable. Whereas if we go into an inflationary environment
    your pretty much screwed unless silver rises to a $100 an oz in which case you break even.

Mintage is only 50,000 which makes this an interesting numismatic investment in that there is no risk of the coin depreciating in value below what you initially pay for it.

As a bullion investment its obviously crap.

How would History Student weigh in on this one?

2. Post #2

Thanks
    Thanked 4,556 Times in 2,535 Posts

Default Re: 100 dollars buys you a $100 silver coin

It is a hell of a premium! but I guess it is hedged!
    Technical Analysis is a part of a market doctrine that accepts a high level of failure and incorporates loss prevention and risk control strategies to deal with that reality. If you do not understand what those strategies are, how to implement them and the probability of success involved in any given technical analysis setup THEN you should not treat the information given as any basis for decision making.

Caveat Emptor.

Cheers
    Z

3. Post #3

Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 896 Posts

how friggin easy is this one ...DUH......which one would you want....a hundred dollar bill or this hundred dollar coin....

i wonder if i can buy the whole lot...

in all seriousness if i were canadian i would have a lot of my disposable funds in this product....as Zed said its hedged beats the heck outa paper
    Last edited by ttazzman; 05-17-2013 at 02:41 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ttazzman For This Useful Post:

Ahillock (05-17-2013), Professur (05-17-2013), Zed (05-17-2013)

5. Post #4

Silver Member
    Thanks

This coin is an interesting development. In effect, there is roughly, 1% silver for the money. (if Canadian traditional money laws were like the U.S.). Because, a dollar is supposed to be about an ounce of silver, right?

I do NOT recommend buying this coin because your putting your faith in the Canadian dollar by doing so. If the Canadian dollar defaults, you are left with one ounce of silver, therefore, you paid about 75 dollars in premium for it. You could have taken that same 100 dollars (today) and bought about 4 ounce of silver instead of one ounce.

6. Post #5

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Cool Re: 100 dollars buys you a $100 silver coin

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    This coin is an interesting development. In effect, there is roughly, 1% silver for the money. (if Canadian traditional money laws were like the U.S.). Because, a dollar is supposed to be about an ounce of silver, right?

I do NOT recommend buying this coin because your putting your faith in the Canadian dollar by doing so. If the Canadian dollar defaults, you are left with one ounce of silver, therefore, you paid about 75 dollars in premium for it. You could have taken that same 100 dollars (today) and bought about 4 ounce of silver instead of one ounce.
    I think you are looking at it from the wrong angle. If you are someone who normally keeps cash on hand for emergencies or whatnot, these coins would be FAR superior to paper money for that exact same reason.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dvorak For This Useful Post:

Ahillock (05-17-2013), Cornelius (05-17-2013), earplugs (05-17-2013), ttazzman (05-17-2013)

8. Post #6

Silver Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dvorak View Post
    I think you are looking at it from the wrong angle. If you are someone who normally keeps cash on hand for emergencies or whatnot, these coins would be FAR superior to paper money for that exact same reason.
    I do understand your viewpoint and agree that it is better than keeping 100 paper dollars. However, one major reason to acquire precious metals, is an insurance policy in case of continued default on paper currency (otherwise called inflation).

my two cents.

9. Post #7

Thanks
    Thanked 1,040 Times in 606 Posts

The only problem lies in trying to convince anyone to give you $100 for it a week after you buy it. Face value is only good if people will accept it. Even banks choke if you take them a maple leaf and ask for face value
    And this is why I'm a monarchist ... the public is just too damn stupid to be allowed to control the country

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Professur For This Useful Post:

earplugs (05-17-2013)

11. Post #8

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 609 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Professur View Post
    The only problem lies in trying to convince anyone to give you $100 for it a week after you buy it. Face value is only good if people will accept it. Even banks choke if you take them a maple leaf and ask for face value
    I know what you mean Professur. In theory you could take one of these pristine coins and mangle it. Its still worth $100 CAD. But if the banks won't accept it then I guess all you could do is sue the government for...counterfeiting?

Perhaps the Royal Canadian Mint will take them back? They do have a money back guarantee. I'm curious, though, why would they need a money back guarantee? If you don't like it just exchange it at any bank for a $100 CAD. A guarantee makes no sense unless...it's not worth face value.

12. Post #9

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner Heads_Up's Avatar
    Thanks

FastTT has responded in another thread on this subject saying that it is indeed worth $100 Canadian to the Bank of Canada. That being said, so far I see that it will cost you about $115 to get it out the door a distributor (as long as this province doesn't consider it a collectable which would also add sales tax to it [done to the last 3 animal bullion RCM coins)

13. Post #10

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner chewy's Avatar
    Thanks

if the us did this, overnight silver is worth 100 an ounce.

Any Canadian with any sense at all would exchange ALL of their cash for these coins. If they are legal tender and cost 100 for a coin that buys the same thing as a canadian 100 bill, what reason could you possibly have NOT swap out cash for these?

We all know one day the canadian dollar with be worthless, and we also know silver will always have value.

If the US did this, I would be all in on it.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

-Thomas Jefferson

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chewy For This Useful Post:

Ahillock (05-17-2013), kerdasi amaq (05-20-2013), LarsonLarsen (05-18-2013), ttazzman (05-17-2013)

15. Post #11

Getting Acclimated Prospector
    Thanks

The ASE which is worth $1 USD legal tender to 1oz of silver worth $20+ right now. People don't need to hedge because no matter what, 1oz .999 silver will always be worth over $1 USD. The $1 USD there is just to let them have the secure feeling because they will never use it as $1 USD, always higher value (good investment feeling or having a strong feeling about the gold/silver standard)...

This canadian $100 for $100 silver coin is different. No matter what the 1oz silver price, the coin will be worth $100 CAD. This is reversing the hedge. It's like having a $100 CAD silver coin that cost around $20 to produce (silver price) instead of having a $100 CAD paper fiat money worth a couple of cents to produce.

For currency folks playing the fiat end game, would you want rather have $100 CAD in paper or $100 CAD in silver. You don't have to worry about the paper/physical silver *manipulation game* because your coin's face value is worth based on the CAD fiat currency tied into other fiat currencies around the world...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to iamwayne For This Useful Post:

Ahillock (05-17-2013)

17. Post #12

Thanks

Just called, over 20 min wait, was only able to order 1. They are limited the order number to 1 instead of 3 now.

18. Post #13

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 624 Posts

I thought canada tried to do this, and then hte banks said they don't have to accept for face value. I think it was the 20 dollar coin or something.

19. Post #14

Thanks

In the US, a business can chose what to accept as payment, and not accept FRN or others...

Same as Canada I guess if you treat banks as businesses. People online will post stories about this. All you have to is call a bank in Canada and ask if they will accept it.

from an article:
    http://www.thestar.com/business/2012..._hard_way.html

He explains all coins produced by the mint are legal tender – meaning they can be exchanged for goods or services at face value – but only circulating legal tender can be readily spent and traded at business and banks.

Non-circulating legal tender refers to items like Fokine’s silver coins and designated collectibles. Reeves says business can accept the money at face value if they choose, but they’re also free to reject it.

“There’s nothing forcing a bank or a business to accept (the coin),” Reeves says. “If someone offers me a gold Maple Leaf (coin) for $50 face value I’d be crazy not to take it, but it’s still a coin that’s not destined for circulation.”

Reeves points out banks all have procedures by which customers can convert collectible coins to cash but acknowledges staff aren’t always aware of them. In that case he suggests having the branch manager call the Mint so they can work through the conversion process.
    Last edited by iamwayne; 05-17-2013 at 03:16 PM.

20. Post #15

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,405 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iamwayne View Post
    The ASE... $1 USD there is just to let them have the secure feeling...
    Pretty sure it's there to ensure that gov't bullion is subject to the same counterfeiting laws as other US currency...

unless that's what you meant by "secure feeling".
    Last edited by curmudgeonista; 05-17-2013 at 05:24 PM.

21. Post #16

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeonista View Post
    Pretty sure it's there to ensure that gov't bullion is subject to the same counterfeiting laws as other US currency... unless that's what you meant by "secure feeling".

Depends on how you see it:

Yes, seeing the United States of America, 1oz. fine silver ~ one dollar give you the feeling of it being back by the US government and against counterfeiting. But we all know counterfeits exist and if you accidentally bought one, will the secret service reimburse you for it while they try to catch the SOB? People get the feeling of security that there will be less counterfeits because criminals are less likely to commit a crime if the federal government gets involved, criminals don't want to deal with the federal government too. I guess that's a secure feeling of your investment.

IE: US Mail, government got involved to help the railroads and since it's a federal crime to impede delivery of mail and more, saving the railroads... Government gets involves to prevent counterfeiting to keep a currency stable and sound, too much fakes will destroy any market.

For gold/silver bugs, it also give the feeling of what really is money; the printed face value or the actual physical/intrinsic value of the currency. Until the day you can't even get $1 USD FRN for the 1oz ASE...

22. Post #17

Banned
    Thanks

Depends on how you see it:
    No, it's not a matter of how one sees it. It's just the reason. You're trying to read too much into it.

Please read my previous post again with my edit.

23. Post #18

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 624 Posts

In the US, a business can chose what to accept as payment, and not accept FRN or others...

Same as Canada I guess if you treat banks as businesses. People online will post stories about this. All you have to is call a bank in Canada and ask if they will accept it.

from an article:
    http://www.thestar.com/business/2012..._hard_way.html
    Any guesses as to how that factors into the "full faith and credit" of Canada.

24. Post #19

Thanks

Called to canceled, the guy on the phone was asking if I was sure since it's going to be sold out.

Somehow I can't stand the reverse, portrait of a monarch queen...

$111 that I saved will get me 2x 2013 ASE west points or even 3 bullion. Go Lady Liberty!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to iamwayne For This Useful Post:

Tinbox (05-18-2013)

26. Post #20

Thanks

I was gonna buy these when there was a limit 3 on the website and now its by phone only and a limit of 1...missed the ship, still gonna call tomorrow and see if they'll sell me one.

27. Post #21

Thanks

I've been thinking about this all day. Here's what I have come up with.

So, the (US) dollar has an intrinsic value, which naturally is the value of the paper it is printed on.

When the US makes a gold or silver coin, it is always valued (on it's face) a fraction of what the current spot or melt value of the coin truly is.

This, in all but the most extreme cases, guarantees that the US minted gold and silver coins will not enter circulation.

HOWEVER

Canada took the complete opposite approach. The minted a coin with a $100 dollar (CDN) face value, yet it only contains about $25 dollars (CDN) of silver.

This turns precious metals on their heads and promotes circulation in the economy. If you consider the intrinsic value when taking payment, you would always opt for the coin, as it has real value, whereas the paper note for $100 does not.

Additionally, if you were well versed in paper monies, and realized their true value is zero, you would always prefer to hold the silver coins as a store of value over the paper money.

The real question is: What year will the coins be worth more (melt value) than the 100 dollar bills they currently compete with? My guess: 2017
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

-Thomas Jefferson

28. The Following User Says Thank You to chewy For This Useful Post:

Ahillock (05-18-2013)

29. Post #22

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,659 Times in 4,236 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chewy View Post
    I've been thinking about this all day. Here's what I have come up with.

So, the (US) dollar has an intrinsic value, which naturally is the value of the paper it is printed on.

When the US makes a gold or silver coin, it is always valued (on it's face) a fraction of what the current spot or melt value of the coin truly is.

This, in all but the most extreme cases, guarantees that the US minted gold and silver coins will not enter circulation.

HOWEVER

Canada took the complete opposite approach. The minted a coin with a $100 dollar (CDN) face value, yet it only contains about $25 dollars (CDN) of silver.

This turns precious metals on their heads and promotes circulation in the economy. If you consider the intrinsic value when taking payment, you would always opt for the coin, as it has real value, whereas the paper note for $100 does not.

Additionally, if you were well versed in paper monies, and realized their true value is zero, you would always prefer to hold the silver coins as a store of value over the paper money.

The real question is: What year will the coins be worth more (melt value) than the 100 dollar bills they currently compete with? My guess: 2017
    Ya can't get that coin for a "net" $100. WHY would a purchaser spend it into circulation? It actually costs OVER $100.

30. Post #23

Found a silver nugget Prospector McBlzr's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: 100 dollars buys you a $100 silver coin

Well, I was one of the idiots that ordered the limit of 3 on the web yesterday. The Buffalo (Bison) is one of my favorites on coins, so I did this because of the personal collector value.
    Oh, Give me a Home where the Gold Buffalo roam !

31. Post #24

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gcubed View Post
    Ya can't get that coin for a "net" $100. WHY would a purchaser spend it into circulation? It actually costs OVER $100.
    How much does it cost?

Would it not be more probable that it gets circulated than a GAE with a face value of $50, but a cost of $1700?

I hope you answer, I would like to continue this conversation.

Regards,

Chewy.

-Thomas Jefferson

32. Post #25

Banned
    Thanks

How much does it cost?

Would it not be more probable that it gets circulated than a GAE with a face value of $50, but a cost of $1700?

I hope you answer, I would like to continue this conversation.

Regards,

Chewy.
    Face value PLUS shipping from what I understand. Like $111. I damn sure wouldn't spend it into circulation. Would you? Hell, I wouldn't even and wont buy it.

33. Post #26

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,060 Times in 986 Posts

Did I read that the mintage was 50,000 coins? this is not promoting circulation. maybe 50,000,000 would be a good start if the RCM actually wanted the coins to be used as money. It seems like a cool idea.... money with some intrinsic value. If it were a 5 ounce coin with a much larger mintage I'd be very excited.

34. Post #27

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smooth View Post
    Did I read that the mintage was 50,000 coins? this is not promoting circulation. maybe 50,000,000 would be a good start if the RCM actually wanted the coins to be used as money. It seems like a cool idea.... money with some intrinsic value. If it were a 5 ounce coin with a much larger mintage I'd be very excited.
    I guess Chewy didn't really want to continue the conversation.

35. Post #28

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,060 Times in 986 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gcubed View Post
    I guess Chewy didn't really want to continue the conversation.
    Thats cool.. I didnt really want to either.

i was just saying..

36. The Following User Says Thank You to smooth For This Useful Post:

Gcubed (05-18-2013)

37. Post #29

YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE, GOOD DAY SIR!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,870 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smooth View Post
    Canada does not want to get a knock on its door from its southern neighbor. It would be a cool idea but not allowed for long.

38. Post #30

Thanks
    Thanked 4,795 Times in 1,833 Posts

Is my head screwed on tight? I have read eveyones post, a couple of times.
    I am still trying to figure out why anyone would want to buy one of these coins for ANY reason.

Here is my thinking.

As a PM hoarder for 40 years, I see this coin as an attempt by Canada to return to a PM backed currency & that is a good thing. Am I on it so far ? OK, now, as long as Canada keeps their fiat money in circulation & the people accept it, why would anyone spent this 1 oz. coin that they paid a $111 dollars for ? My reasoning is that the old adage of "bad money drives good money out of circulation" comes directly to mind. So, again, why buy this 1 oz. coin for $111 of fiat $$$ when you could buy 4 oz. of silver bullion for $111, or $111 worth of groceries, because you are NOT going to spend that 1 oz into circulation, if you are smart. What have I missed here ?

Just an old fart's 4 oz. worth.

39. Post #31

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAEZZAR View Post
    I am still trying to figure out why anyone would want to buy one of these coins for ANY reason.

Here is my thinking.

As a PM hoarder for 40 years, I see this coin as an attempt by Canada to return to a PM backed currency & that is a good thing. Am I on it so far ? OK, now, as long as Canada keeps their fiat money in circulation & the people accept it, why would anyone spent this 1 oz. coin that they paid a $111 dollars for ? My reasoning is that the old adage of "bad money drives good money out of circulation" comes directly to mind. So, again, why buy this 1 oz. coin for $111 of fiat $$$ when you could buy 4 oz. of silver bullion for $111, or $111 worth of groceries, because you are NOT going to spend that 1 oz into circulation, if you are smart. What have I missed here ?

The only thing I disagree with you on is it being "an attempt by Canada to return to a PM backed currency". Given the arguments you rightfully make for these not showing up in circulation, it would appear to be merely a marketing ploy to sell silver for several times spot.

It reminds me somewhat of the USPS pushing sheets of newly issued stamps as "collectibles". Great for them if they can get you to fork over the dollars for a few cents worth of printing expense and have you to lock those stamps away so they never have to deliver on the services or value the stamps represent.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to curmudgeonista For This Useful Post:

TAEZZAR (05-21-2013)

41. Post #32

Thanks
    Thanked 4,795 Times in 1,833 Posts

The only thing I disagree with you on is it being "an attempt by Canada to return to a PM backed currency". Given the arguments you rightfully make for these not showing up in circulation, it would appear to be merely a marketing ploy to sell silver for several times spot.

It reminds me somewhat of the USPS pushing sheets of newly issued stamps as "collectibles". Great for them if they can get you to fork over the dollars for a few cents worth of printing expense and have you to lock those stamps away so they never have to deliver on the services or value the stamps represent.
    In my opinion, you are spot on !!!
    I was being careful to not skew my comment toward a conclusion.
    Your examples of marketing ploy & USPS stamps, to me, are great !!

Thank You

42. The Following User Says Thank You to TAEZZAR For This Useful Post:

curmudgeonista (05-20-2013)

43. Post #33

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAEZZAR View Post

Here is my thinking.

It's currency, backed by silver. It has a 100$ face value and it is LEGAL TENDER. If silver is cheaper than 100$, you can trade it in anytime for $100 worth of silver (which protects you), or anything else that costs 100. If silver goes over $100, you have a coin worth over 100$ in silver(which protects you. You simply CANNOT LOSE.

-Thomas Jefferson

44. Post #34

Thanks

So, you have a problem with Canada "selling silver for several times spot"? This makes no sense. It's legal tender. Legal tender. Backed by silver. I simply cannot understand how you people cannot realize that. So, you have a problem with them turning a silver coin into 100$ legal tender, but it's fine if they print $100 on a scrap of paper and call it money?

Like I said earlier, if silver stays/gets cheap, you can always trade this in for $100 spot price worth of silver. If (when) silver goes over 100, you have a coin with over 100$ worth of silver.

I would buy every one of these they make if I could.

-Thomas Jefferson

45. Post #35

Banned
    Thanks

It's currency, backed by silver. It has a 100$ face value and it is LEGAL TENDER. If silver is cheaper than 100$, you can trade it in anytime for $100 worth of silver (which protects you), or anything else that costs 100. If silver goes over $100, you have a coin worth over 100$ in silver(which protects you. You simply CANNOT LOSE.
    Reportedly it costs $111 CAD to acquire one.

Scenario A:
    Suppose you buy 2 of them...
    $222 spent for 2 oz silver in 2 x $100 CAD coins.
    Silver stays around $25. You have $200.
    Silver drops to $10. You have $200.
    Silver goes to $50. You have $200.
    Silver goes to $100. You have $200.

Scenario B:
    Suppose instead you hold on to 2 x $100 bills and buy an ounce of silver...
    Call it $225 spent.
    Silver stays around $25. You have $225.
    Silver drops to $10. You have $210.
    Silver goes to $50. You have $250.
    Silver goes to $100. You have $300.
    Last edited by curmudgeonista; 05-21-2013 at 01:24 AM.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to curmudgeonista For This Useful Post:

TAEZZAR (05-21-2013)

47. Post #36

Banned
    Thanks

So, you have a problem with Canada "selling silver for several times spot"? This makes no sense. It's legal tender. Legal tender. Backed by silver. I simply cannot understand how you people cannot realize that. So, you have a problem with them turning a silver coin into 100$ legal tender, but it's fine if they print $100 on a scrap of paper and call it money?

Like I said earlier, if silver stays/gets cheap, you can always trade this in for $100 spot price worth of silver. If (when) silver goes over 100, you have a coin with over 100$ worth of silver.

Chewy, it's a math trick meant to make you think you have $100 AND an oz of silver. You don't. You either have $100 OR an oz of silver. It's not backed by silver... not until the POS = FV (actually FV + the premium)... it merely contains silver that is locked up.

Did you figure out which of my scenarios above is best? Unless and until ALL currency is once again backed by silver and/or gold, keep your money and your bullion separate. That way you don't have to give away your money in order to sell your bullion or give away your bullion in order to spend your money.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to curmudgeonista For This Useful Post:

TAEZZAR (05-21-2013)

49. Post #37

Thanks

Reportedly it costs $111 CAD to acquire one.

Scenario A:
    Suppose you buy 2 of them...
    $222 spent for 2 oz silver in 2 x $100 CAD coins.
    Silver stays around $25. You have $200.
    Silver drops to $10. You have $200.
    Silver goes to $50. You have $200.
    Silver goes to $100. You have $200.

Scenario B:
    Suppose instead you hold on to 2 x $100 bills and buy an ounce of silver...
    Call it $225 spent.
    Silver stays around $25. You have $225.
    Silver drops to $10. You have $210.
    Silver goes to $50. You have $250.
    Silver goes to $100. You have $300.
    What about silver goes to 300? Or when all the paper money is good for is to wipe you azz? I guess the ONLY, and I mean ONLY downside is that they cost a little more than trading a $100 bill for another $100 bill. If they were selling them for $100 out the door, that would be ideal.

I would rather have 100 of these SILVER, LEGAL tender 100$ dollar coins, as opposed to 100 Canadian paper $100 bills.

I bet they will be selling on EBAY for much over 111 in a few months anyway. So they are likely to be even a better deal than I previously stated.

-Thomas Jefferson

50. Post #38

Thanks

Chewy, it's a math trick meant to make you think you have $100 AND an oz of silver. You don't. You either have $100 OR an oz of silver. It's not backed by silver... not until the POS = FV (actually FV + the premium)... it merely contains silver that is locked up.

Did you figure out which of my scenarios above is best? Unless and until ALL currency is once again backed by silver and/or gold, keep your money and your bullion separate. That way you don't have to give away your money in order to sell your bullion or give away your bullion in order to spend your money.
    There's no trick.

It's money in the bank, and if silver goes over 100, its even more.

If silver goes to a dollar, you can take this MONEY, real MONEY - down to the coin shop and trade it for a hundred silver coins whenever you please. Just like you could withy a $100 bill. If silver goes to 50$ - you can take it to the coin store and buy 2 coin- just like you would do if you had a hundred dollar bill. If silver goes to $200 - you have a coin worth $200 - whereas if you stayed in paper money, you would not..... you would just have a 100 bill..........

-Thomas Jefferson

51. Post #39

Thanks

Why would you possible prefer a scrap of paper with a declared value of $100, when you can have a silver coin (that can buy everything the scrap of paper can buy) instead of the $100?

Piece of paper, or silver?

-Thomas Jefferson

52. Post #40

Banned
    Thanks

What about silver goes to 300? Or when all the paper money is good for is to wipe you azz? I guess the ONLY, and I mean ONLY downside is that they cost a little more than trading a $100 bill for another $100 bill. If they were selling them for $100 out the door, that would be ideal.

I would rather have 100 of these SILVER, LEGAL tender 100$ dollar coins, as opposed to 100 Canadian paper $100 bills.

I bet they will be selling on EBAY for much over 111 in a few months anyway. So they are likely to be even a better deal than I previously stated.
    I purposefully left out Scenario C... buy silver at normal bullion prices. There's your greatest upside potential if you really believe POS will go to extremes. In fact it's got upside on meager rises too. However, it also carries the greatest downside risk, as many can attest.

But, you were focused on how you just couldn't lose with these $100 CAD coins. Risk aversion! You said you'd buy every one they made. Remember? That would be Scenario A and silver would have to go above $111 oz before you see the first dollar of upside. In the meantime you're upside-down... down about 10% all the way up to $100 silver... and that's a long way.

The truth is, if you want the protection of FV you said you liked, along with an upside potential on silver you also liked, go with Scenario B... just spend the premium on silver bullion and keep your FV in cash. Otherwise you're letting 'em play you like a large mouth bass... hook, line & sinker.

53. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curmudgeonista For This Useful Post:

derickvv (05-21-2013), TAEZZAR (05-22-2013)

54. Post #41

Thanks

I purposefully left out Scenario C... buy silver at normal bullion prices. There's your greatest upside potential if you really believe POS will go to extremes. In fact it's got upside on meager rises too. However, it also carries the greatest downside risk, as many can attest.

But, you were focused on how you just couldn't lose with these $100 CAD coins. Risk aversion! You said you'd buy every one they made. Remember? That would be Scenario A and silver would have to go above $111 oz before you see the first dollar of upside. In the meantime you're upside-down... down about 10% all the way up to $100 silver... and that's a long way.

The truth is, if you want the protection of FV you said you liked, along with an upside potential on silver you also liked, go with Scenario B... just spend the premium on silver bullion and keep your FV in cash. Otherwise you're letting 'em play you like a large mouth bass... hook, line & sinker.
    I'll just buy paper silver.

-Thomas Jefferson

55. Post #42

Banned
    Thanks

There's no trick.

It's money in the bank, and if silver goes over 100, its even more.

If silver goes to a dollar, you can take this MONEY, real MONEY - down to the coin shop and trade it for a hundred silver coins whenever you please. Just like you could withy a $100 bill. If silver goes to 50$ - you can take it to the coin store and buy 2 coin- just like you would do if you had a hundred dollar bill. If silver goes to $200 - you have a coin worth $200 - whereas if you stayed in paper money, you would not..... you would just have a 100 bill..........
    $100 bill doesn't cost $111 to acquire. It would be different if these were circulating coinage available at FV. Though, I also saw what happened in 1965 in the US.

Look, I know a lot of people are confused by word-problems in math class. You are not alone... except even when you get to see then answer page you're still not getting it.

I predict the RCM will be very successful with these. I also predict those who buy them will not be. You go buy all you can and keep me posted.

56. Post #43

Silver Member
    Thanks

If silver goes to a dollar, you can take this MONEY, real MONEY - down to the coin shop and trade it for a hundred silver coins whenever you please
    Correct....the same number of silver coins you could buy with that $100 FRN (disregarding added premiums over spot). As was mentioned above, you have built in a 10% loss in your "real money" that won't be recovered until silver goes above $110/oz.

Hint: $100 is $100 whether it is printed on "real money" or a FRN. Yes the coin has intrinsic value the FRN doesn't but it is WAAAAY less than $100..

....now if it was a 4 ounce silver coin

57. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxwoods Man For This Useful Post:

curmudgeonista (05-21-2013)

58. Post #44

Thanks

PLEASE BUY ONE, and try to cash it in at a small neighborhood bank, or buy a cartload of groceries with one.
    That would speak volumes.

59. The Following User Says Thank You to Deweydog For This Useful Post:

TAEZZAR (05-24-2013)

60. 05-22-2013, 11:15 AM

61. Post #45

Banned
    Thanks

...$100 FRN/CAD/JPN/etc printed on a piece of paper is worth $100 face value and 1cent for the paper value. We also know that $100 FRN/CAD/JPN/etc coined on a silver coin is worth $100 face value and the spot value of the silver weight...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	head-in-hands-man-frustrated-laptop.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	38272

I give up.

62. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curmudgeonista For This Useful Post:

Gcubed (05-22-2013), Zed (05-22-2013)

63. Post #46

Silver Member
    Thanks

...$100 FRN/CAD/JPN/etc printed on a piece of paper is worth $100 face value and 1cent for the paper value. We also know that $100 FRN/CAD/JPN/etc coined on a silver coin is worth $100 face value and the spot value of the silver weight...
    Ummmm..faulty logic....

The $100 FRN is EITHER worth $100 face value OR the value of the paper it is printed on

The $100 silver coin is worth EITHER the $100 that has printed on it OR the value of the intrinsic silver contained in it....Neither are worth more than $100 BUT one cost more than it is worth (11% shipping charge)

64. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxwoods Man For This Useful Post:

curmudgeonista (05-22-2013)

65. Post #47

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foxwoods Man View Post
    Ummmm..faulty logic....

The $100 FRN is EITHER worth $100 face value OR the value of the paper it is printed on

The $100 silver coin is worth EITHER the $100 that has printed on it OR the value of the intrinsic silver contained in it....Neither are worth more than $100 BUT one cost more than it is worth (11% shipping charge)
    Thank you, I didn't proof read and my AND should be OR like you mentioned.

Either way it's still $100 face value but if it accidentally get cut in half and cannot be made whole again, the value is either 1cent or spot price...

**** went to correct the original post and accidentally deleted it....

66. Post #48

Thanks

The problem with this coin is that:

A $100 CAD coin (about $97 USD) that cost $111.02 USD( when it hit my account) to obtain. You lose $14 by using the coin's face vale and even greater at spot price.

The $20 for $20 had problems when people tried to use it at face value, and they paid more $20+shipping cost to obtain the coin.

Problem is the majority of businesses and even banks in Canada wouldn't even take it at face value (according to online forums and news reports.)

67. Post #49

Banned
    Thanks

The problem with this coin is that:

A $100 CAD coin (about $97 USD) that cost $111.02 USD( when it hit my account) to obtain. You lose $14 by using the coin's face vale and even greater at spot price.

The $20 for $20 had problems when people tried to use it at face value, and they paid more $20+shipping cost to obtain the coin.

Problem is the majority of businesses and even banks in Canada wouldn't even take it at face value (according to online forums and news reports.)
    No kidding? Wow!

68. The Following User Says Thank You to Gcubed For This Useful Post:

ttazzman (05-22-2013)

69. Post #50

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner fasTTcar's Avatar
    Thanks

Regardless of the above comments I got 3 in today and will be selling them for $115 each.

They are a nice coin. Worth $100 plus a $15 collector premium.