Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Costco Is Totally Eliminating Self-Checkout In Stores

1. Post #1

Thanks

Default Costco Is Totally Eliminating Self-Checkout In Stores

Costco CEO Craig Jelinek is eliminating self-service checkout from stores because he says his employees do a better job.

“They are great for low-volume warehouses, but we don’t want to be in the low-volume warehouse business,” he told Brad Stone at Bloomberg Businessweek.

Costco has tested self-checkout in the past. Jelinek told Businessweek that human cashiers are more efficient.

His decision comes at a time when competitor Wal-Mart is adding 10,000 self-service checkout systems to stores.
    Self-service checkouts have traditionally been seen as a threat to retail cashiers because they're cheaper than manpower. It's not clear whether Wal-Mart's machines will displace workers.

Retailers in general “see their employees as a cost to be minimized and typically end up under investing in them,” Zeynep Ton, a professor at the MIT Sloan School of Management, told Businessweek.

Costco is known for having among the happiest employees in the retail industry because of its superior wages and benefits.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/costc...#ixzz2VWYKS2d0

2. Post #2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 500 Posts

Default Re: Costco Is Totally Eliminating Self-Checkout In Stores

Have a friend who's union stupid. Votes Democratic because "I can't like Republicans." To him it's corporations vs. people. I pointed out that a mutual friend's father owns a auto repair shop that is a "corporation" ... so do you hate "Howard" I ask.

We're driving on the tollway and he's saying how great the automatic toll responder/tracker in his car is. What about all the jobs that are lost from toll collectors, lane walkers, to coin counters in the back office I ask. His reply: "Oh, I never thought about that." Then we go to the Home Despot and he wants to use the self-serve registers, "What about the cashier you are putting out of work?" Now he doesn't use the self-serve registers.

(P.S. I am not in favor of tollways.)
    “When you got five bullets in you, it makes you kind of disoriented.”
    Joe Chapman, Sheriff, Walton County, Georgia.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Publico For This Useful Post:

FoundingFathers (06-07-2013), Nickelless (06-07-2013)

4. Post #3

Thanks

I'm surprised to hear the Walmart part.
    Our local Walmart installed self checkout about 3 years ago.
    It ran for a year, then they took them out.
    Too much theft.

Local Sams club has them & it's fine except it is plastic only, no cash.

5. Post #4

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner mcmurph's Avatar
    Thanks

Costco is the only place I will use the self-checkout kiosks. They're great if you're only grabbing a few things and don't want to wait in line. Sorry to hear they will be gone.
    "Let the world know you as you are, not as you think you should be, because sooner or later, if you are posing, you will forget the pose, and then where are you?" -Fanny Brice