Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: "Smart Rifle" Can Hit Targets At 1000 Yards- Cost $27,500

1. Post #1

Thanks
    Thanked 6,478 Times in 3,138 Posts

Default "Smart Rifle" Can Hit Targets At 1000 Yards- Cost $27,500

$27,500 Gun Hits Targets at 1,000 Yards

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a0507a36-0049-415f-befb-f0ecb9d7a34d_Sam-Texas-Tracking-Point-079-2-.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	39603
    AUSTIN, Texas — A new company in Texas is selling a precision rifle with a unique technology that allows even an inexperienced shooter to hit a target 10 football fields away. The price tag is a staggering $27,500.

Tracking Point describes the weapon as a smartgun, with a trigger wired to the scope so that the gun won't fire until it's locked on the target that's been tagged.

"There are a number of people who say the gun shoots itself," said Chief Executive Officer Jason Schauble, a former Marine captain who was wounded in Iraq. "It doesn't. The shooter is always in the loop."

The TrackingPoint rifles, which are Wi-Fi enabled and have a color display so users can post videos of their shots on Facebook or YouTube, started shipping in May. Schauble said his company is on track to sell as many as 500 of them this year, to clients that he describes as "high net worth hunters" who want to kill big game at long range.

TrackingPoint claims that the gun took down a South African wildebeest at 1,103 yards, a company record.

The company also has a deal to sell about 1,000 of the guns to Remington, which is Schauble's former employer. But the Remington model will be less expensive, running about $5,000 each. TrackingPoint's total sales for the year are expected to be about $10 million.

Lifelong hunter and construction executive Bob Ellis is one client who raves about the rifle. "I have not shot anything like it ever," he said in an email to CNNMoney. "The distance and accuracy of the rifle is a big WOW!"

Founder and chairman John McHale is a serial entrepreneur who's started several companies that were ultimately sold to Cisco (CSCO), 3Com and Compaq, which was later bought by HP (HPQ). Early in his career he worked on weapons accuracy systems for tanks. The idea for TrackingPoint came to McHale while he was on African safari and frustrated by his inability to shoot a gazelle at 300 yards.

Schauble is well aware of the damage that guns can do. His right hand is partially paralyzed after he was shot with an AK-47 during combat in Iraq. He wears black "kill bracelets" commemorating dead friends. He admitted that TrackingPoint's technology is "controversial."

Government agencies contacted the company last year for a demonstration of the weapon at a shooting range at the Quantico Marine Corps Base in Virginia. But Schauble says that the Department of Homeland Security didn't express any concerns that TrackingPoint's weapon is more of a threat than existing firearm systems.

The FBI, Homeland Security and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives all declined to comment to CNNMoney.

But the weapon has some "scary implications from a security perspective," said Rommel Dionisio, a gun industry analyst for Wedbush Securities.

"There are a handful of snipers who can hit a target at 1,000 yards. But now, anybody can do it," he said. "You can put some tremendous capability in the hands of just about anybody, even an untrained shooter."

Indeed, novice shooters from CNNMoney tried the gun and did hit targets 1,000 yards away.

What sets the TrackingPoint rifle apart is its high-tech electronic scope that automatically accounts for distance, gravity, wind speed, humidity, the rotation of the Earth and other variables that can influence whether a bullet hits its target.

The TrackingPoint scope allows the shooter to "tag" a target by placing a red dot on it within the crosshairs. Even when the safety is off and the shooter's finger pulls the trigger, the rifle will only fire when the crosshairs are locked on the red dot, making it relatively easy for even an inexperienced shooter to hit a target at long range.

Tracking Point charges from $22,500 to $27,500 for the different versions of its bolt-action rifle, which has a five-round magazine using .300 or .338 caliber ammunition.

Schauble hopes to land a contract with the U.S. military. He said that American soldiers could benefit not only from the long-range accuracy, but also the rifle's Wi-fi communications features.

"From a patriotic standpoint and as a veteran, I would love every soldier to be better armed today, and this technology could get them there," he said.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/-27-50...180751722.html
    Truthfulness - Benevolence - Forbearance

2. Post #2

GIM Statesman
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,504 Posts

Default Re: "Smart Rifle" Can Hit Targets At 1000 Yards- Cost $27,500

cant see the nearly 30 G cost . but wtf !
    IF YA CANT DAZZLE THEM WITH BRILLIANCE BAFFLE THEM WITH BULLsh!t.

3. Post #3

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner mispillion's Avatar
    Thanks

colbert's take on the gun
    "If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mispillion For This Useful Post:

Zed (06-13-2013)

5. Post #4

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,495 Times in 2,514 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by honu5050 View Post
    U kidding, that is one decent paying hit.

Oh jeeeeeezzz, who'd want to be a politician with these things floating around... U know, if things, by some chance, went bad

6. Post #5

Thanks
    Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,017 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by newmisty View Post
    Tracking Point charges from $22,500 to $27,500 for the different versions of its bolt-action rifle, which has a five-round magazine using .300 or .338 caliber ammunition.
    In a related story, the DHS and USDA have each ordered a billion rounds of .300 and .338 ammo to take advantage of "pricing discounts".
    Gold and Silver aren't the only metals that preserve wealth. I also have a large supply of Brass and Lead.
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum."

7. Post #6

Thanks
    Thanked 4,580 Times in 1,769 Posts

I can consistently hit smaller than person sized targets at 1000 yards for considerably less than $27,000 (assuming the wind is playing nice). It ain't cheap though, this rig runs over $5K, including optics.

Oppressing everyone to avoid oppressing anyone is the egalitarian ethos gone mad.- Daniel Greenfield

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. -C.S. Lewis

The home of the brave came before the land of the free.

8. Post #7

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    I can consistently hit smaller than person sized targets at 1000 yards for considerably less than $27,000 (assuming the wind is playing nice). It ain't cheap though, this rig runs over $5K, including optics.

Nice rig, Tom, what caliber and barrel twist is it? What scope?

9. Post #8

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by southfork View Post
    Nice rig, Tom, what caliber and barrel twist is it? What scope?
    That's a friends rifle, I showed it because it's much prettier than mine. It's 300 WSM (Winchester short mag), 10 twist, Krieger barrel. I forget what scope except that it's rare and extremely expensive. I use Nightforce and March scopes.

By the way, a rifle that will automatically hit every time at 1000 is BS. Maybe in no wind and no mirage conditions but no way in hell is a scope going to call the wind. Just a 5 MPH cross wind at 1000 will push the bullet 4-5 feet and if you have a hard mirage running, forget it.
    Oppressing everyone to avoid oppressing anyone is the egalitarian ethos gone mad.- Daniel Greenfield

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TomD For This Useful Post:

southfork (06-13-2013)

11. Post #9

Silver Member
    Thanks

Wouldn't the $27.5k weapon only be good for stationary targets? If a target was moving, how would it compensate? Wouldn't the inability to actually fire unless "locked on" be a hindrance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    What's to refute, price inflation is a given, DUH............
    Quote Originally Posted by TiKi View Post
    ... You can't scam GIM vets homie.

12. Post #10

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turner-son View Post
    Wouldn't the $27.5k weapon only be good for stationary targets? If a target was moving, how would it compensate? Wouldn't the inability to actually fire unless "locked on" be a hindrance?

Yeah but when you do hit something you can post it to Youtube and Facebook!

13. Post #11

GIM Statesman
    Thanks

its not the weapon costs its the tracking mechanisms .

14. Post #12

Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 696 Posts

Ha, there must be some mug's about. Back in the Day, before the British Army got equipped with a .22 Hornet toy for a rifle, and when shooting was still called Musketry, shooting out to 1000 Yards was commonplace

I hear such things were even possible with the FN self loading rifle

I suspect the US Army were doing similar things before they got issued with plastic toy rifle's
    I'll be a Daisy if you do

15. Post #13

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 673 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    U kidding, that is one decent paying hit.

Oh jeeeeeezzz, who'd want to be a politician with these things floating around... U know, if things, by some chance, went bad
    Bingo! This is every politicians nightmare. At 1,000 yards countermeasures are useless. In fact, depending upon the terrain the rifle report may not even reach the target making ballistic tracking/directional software useless.
    "No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session." -- New York State Surrogate Court Judge Gideon John Tucker, Final Accounting in the Estate of A.B._, 1, Tucker (N.Y. Surrogate Court) 247, 249 (1866)

16. Post #14

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 748 Posts

Why couldn't the scope factor in the wind? Assuming you input all the variables there isn't any reason you couldn't factor the exact trajectory needed to hit a target. As long as it factors things faster than conditions change, it should work fine. I suppose it might have trouble if you are shooting into a storm and there is erratic wind gusts all over.

17. Post #15

Banned
    Thanks

I can consistently hit smaller than person sized targets at 1000 yards for considerably less than $27,000
    Great... OK, ya see there is this guy, he heads up a place up in North America and if you could... errrrrr.... um... I will email you the arrangements.

18. Post #16

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,657 Times in 4,235 Posts

Great... OK, ya see there is this guy, he heads up a place up in North America and if you could... errrrrr.... um... I will email you the arrangements.
    meh

19. Post #17

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gcubed View Post
    meh
    Oh yeah... that reminds me, while you are at it there is a cranky old gold dealer down near Mexico that has it coming...

20. Post #18

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,657 Times in 4,235 Posts

Oh yeah... that reminds me, while you are at it there is a cranky old gold dealer down near Mexico that has it coming...
    double meh

21. Post #19

Modal Operator/Moderator Goldhedge's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,778 Times in 6,408 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by honu5050 View Post
    That's the government's cost. Like $400 hammers...
    "...a Republic, if you can keep it!" Ben Franklin

Derivatives are contracts whose value is derived from stocks, bonds, loans, currencies and
    commodities, or linked to specific events such as changes in interest rates or the weather.

"Money is the future idea of value." Armstrong

"Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance." Sun Tzu
    Be the change you want to see in the world. Gandhi

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Goldhedge For This Useful Post:

Gcubed (06-13-2013)

23. Post #20

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alric View Post
    Why couldn't the scope factor in the wind? Assuming you input all the variables there isn't any reason you couldn't factor the exact trajectory needed to hit a target. As long as it factors things faster than conditions change, it should work fine. I suppose it might have trouble if you are shooting into a storm and there is erratic wind gusts all over.
    I can tell you haven't tried this.

24. Post #21

GIM Statesman
    Thanks

is their a golf pro in the house ?

25. Post #22

Midas Member
    Thanks

I can tell you haven't tried this.
    Tried the 25k rifle? No I have not tried it. If you mean shooting targets 1000 yards in heavy wind, no I have not tried that either but that doesn't really matter. The entire point of having a computerized sight that can track half a dozen variables is that it makes calculations that are hard and time consuming for humans, fast and simple. The fact that the math is hard for humans is pretty irreverent, since a human isn't doing the math.

I don't know how good this rifle is, since like I said I hadn't tested it. However as long as it accurately tracks all the variable it should be able to do what it says. The bullet's path is based on math after all, it isn't random or magic.

26. Post #23

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alric View Post
    Tried the 25k rifle? No I have not tried it. If you mean shooting targets 1000 yards in heavy wind, no I have not tried that either but that doesn't really matter. The entire point of having a computerized sight that can track half a dozen variables is that it makes calculations that are hard and time consuming for humans, fast and simple. The fact that the math is hard for humans is pretty irreverent, since a human isn't doing the math.

I don't know how good this rifle is, since like I said I hadn't tested it. However as long as it accurately tracks all the variable it should be able to do what it says. The bullet's path is based on math after all, it isn't random or magic.
    Okay. So how are you to load all the variables into the scope? Wind velocity at various altitudes and distances, density altitude, mirage intensity and direction, target direction and velocity in three dimensions, probability of motion being linear and consistent, precise ballistic characteristics of the particular load and bullet combo that is currently chambered, target inter reaction to surrounding obstacles?

Sorta like driving a bus through city traffic, the computer required exists currently in only one context, the human brain. You think it's a lot simpler than it is and reducible to a few easily defined parameters. It's not.

27. Post #24

Midas Member
    Thanks

Sorta like driving a bus through city traffic, the computer required exists currently in only one context, the human brain. You think it's a lot simpler than it is and reducible to a few easily defined parameters. It's not.
    We have self driving cars that can drive flawlessly through city traffic. I don't believe they have tested it on a bus yet but I would think it is pretty similar to other cars. It might be complex for humans but not for computers. Computers are far superior to humans in the area of math, and finding the trajectory a bullet will take to hit a target is just pure math.

28. Post #25

Thanks

That's BS. Being able to aim precisely is one thing. But shooting a bullet precisely is another thing.

After you aim precisely and after the bullet leaves the gun, there are so many un-predictable things to deviate it: air density, side winds etc. It probably take the bullet one second to travel the distance of 1000 yard. Within the one second, the target would have noticed the flash of the gun and take evasive actions to get away from the path of the bullet, maybe get away for as much as 2 or 3 meters.

More over, if there is sideway wind blowing at 10 meters per second, within one second time it is enough to push the bullet sideway for 10 meters, totally missing the target.

Remember if the target is a person, missing by just 20 centimeter would have been a total miss.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silverbach For This Useful Post:

Fanakapan (06-14-2013), TomD (06-14-2013)

30. Post #26

Midas Member
    Thanks

Their claim is that it can track all that stuff, and they had total novices hitting targets at that range which seems to suggest that they actually can.

31. Post #27

Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 696 Posts

Their claim is that it can track all that stuff, and they had total novices hitting targets at that range which seems to suggest that they actually can.
    Alric, my old china, the marketing of Crock's has reached quite an advanced level these days. And in the USA, the reluctance to fund consumer protection, along with the size of the place, means that it is possible to sell all sorts of rubbish, and be safely away with the money before any problems such as Fraud become a possibility.

The fitness market is maybe one of the most advanced when it comes to Bogus claims
    I'll be a Daisy if you do

32. Post #28

Midas Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fanakapan View Post
    Alric, my old china, the marketing of Crock's has reached quite an advanced level these days. And in the USA, the reluctance to fund consumer protection, along with the size of the place, means that it is possible to sell all sorts of rubbish, and be safely away with the money before any problems such as Fraud become a possibility.

The fitness market is maybe one of the most advanced when it comes to Bogus claims
    There is no doubt about that, and since I never tried the rifle before I can't say their claims are true. Their claims are pretty pleasurable though. I know they got the technology to do all this stuff already, it is just a matter of if they can fit everything into the scope, and with how advanced we got in shrinking things down, that is also pretty believable.