Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Turkey shuts US-NATO arms corridor to Syrian rebels

1. Post #1

Modal Operator/Moderator Goldhedge's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,783 Times in 6,795 Posts

Default Turkey shuts US-NATO arms corridor to Syrian rebels

US troop buildup in Jordan after Turkey shuts US-NATO arms corridor to Syrian rebels
    DEBKAfile Special Report June 22, 2013,

The US decision to upgrade Syrian rebel weaponry has run into a major setback: DEBKAfile reveals that Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan phoned President Barack Obama in Berlin Wednesday, June 19, to report his sudden decision to shut down the Turkish corridor for the transfer of US and NATO arms to the Syrian rebels.

Against this background, the US President informed Congress Friday, June 22, that 700 combat-equipped American military personnel would remain in Jordan at the end of a joint US-Jordanian training exercise. They would include crews of two Patriot anti-aircraft missile batteries and the logistics, command and communications personnel needed to support those units. The United States is also leaving behind from the war maneuver a squadron of 12 to 24 F-16 fighter jets at Jordan’s request. Some 300 US troops have been in Jordan since last year.

Erdogan’s decision will leave the Syrian rebels fighting in Aleppo virtually high and dry. The fall of Qusayr cut off their supplies of arms from Lebanon. Deliveries through Jordan reach only as far as southern Syria and are almost impossible to move to the north where the rebels and the Hizballah-backed Syrian army are locked in a decisive battle for Aleppo.

The Turkish prime minister told Obama he is afraid of Russian retribution if he continues to let US and NATO weapons through to the Syrian rebels.

Since the G8 Summit in Northern Ireland last week, Moscow has issued almost daily condemnations of the West for arming “terrorists.”

Rebel spokesmen in Aleppo claimed Friday that they now had weapons which they believe “will change the course of the battle on the ground.”

DEBKAfile’s military sources are strongly skeptical of their ability - even after the new deliveries - to stand up to the onslaught on their positions in the embattled town by the combined strength of the Syrian army, Hizballah troops and armed Iraqi Shiites. The prevailing intelligence assessment is that they will be crushed in Aleppo as they were in Al Qusayr.

That battle was lost after 16 days of ferocious combat; Aleppo is expected to fall after 40-60 days of great bloodshed.

The arms the rebels received from US, NATO and European sources were purchased on international markets – not only because they were relatively cheap but because they were mostly of Russian manufacture. The rebels are thus equipped with Russian weapons for fighting the Russian arms used by the Syria army. This made Moscow angrier than ever.

Until now, the Erdogan government was fully supportive of the Syrian opposition, permitting them to establish vital command centers and rear bases on Turkish soil and send supplies across the border to fighting units. He has now pulled the rug out from under their cause and given Assad a major leg-up

This about-turn is a strategic earthquake – not just in terms of the Syrian war but also for the United States and, as time goes by, for Israel too.

Ten years ago, Erdogan pulled the same maneuver when he denied US troops passage through Turkey to Iraq for opening a second front against Saddam Hussein.

President Obama reacted by topping up the US deployment in Jordan by 700 combat-equipped troops to 1,000. Patriot missile interceptors and F-16 fighter jets are left behind from their joint war game for as long as the security situation requires. DEBKAfile: The joint US-Jordanian maneuver was in fact abruptly curtailed after two weeks although it was planned to continue for two months until the end of August.

The widening disruptions of the surging Syrian war are on the point of tipping over into Jordan and coming closer than ever to Israel.

http://www.debka.com/article/23066/U...-Syrian-rebels
    "...a Republic, if you can keep it!" Ben Franklin

Derivatives are contracts whose value is derived from stocks, bonds, loans, currencies and
    commodities, or linked to specific events such as changes in interest rates or the weather.

"Money is the future idea of value." Armstrong

"Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance." Sun Tzu
    Be the change you want to see in the world. Gandhi

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goldhedge For This Useful Post:

917601 (06-23-2013), Oldmansmith (06-24-2013)

3. Post #2

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Default Re: Turkey shuts US-NATO arms corridor to Syrian rebels

This administration lacks foresight and strategy probably worse than any in my memory.

The reason the US, Saudi Arabia and Quatar are all interfering (causing) the conflict in the syria is that each wants to be making the decisions when Assad is out. They all agree Assad must go but having a say in what happens post-Assad is the goal here.
    The proposed gas pipeline will run from a gas deliquification terminal in Aquaba, up through Syria then on to Turkey and up to the highly lucrative european gas market that is currently controlled by Russia.

This is the real reason for the big hassle over syria.

The Obama admin making a point to make Turkish president Erdogan look like a tyrant over his handling of the istanbul protests is going bite this Admin in the ass. The syrian pipleline is useless to the US without Turkey who holds the key to the european gateway.. Breaking the Russian monopoly on european natgas is the goal but with this behavior the US will just be doing the legwork then handing the ready made infrastructure to quatar/saui arabia who will be in a better position to negotiate terms with Turkey.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to creep276 For This Useful Post:

<SLV> (06-24-2013)

5. Post #3

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,373 Times in 2,278 Posts

Smile Re: Turkey shuts US-NATO arms corridor to Syrian rebels

Quote Originally Posted by creep276 View Post
    This administration lacks foresight and strategy probably worse than any in my memory.

The reason the US, Saudi Arabia and Quatar are all interfering (causing) the conflict in the syria is that each wants to be making the decisions when Assad is out. They all agree Assad must go but having a say in what happens post-Assad is the goal here.
    The proposed gas pipeline will run from a gas deliquification terminal in Aquaba, up through Syria then on to Turkey and up to the highly lucrative european gas market that is currently controlled by Russia.

This is the real reason for the big hassle over syria.

The Obama admin making a point to make Turkish president Erdogan look like a tyrant over his handling of the istanbul protests is going bite this Admin in the ass. The syrian pipleline is useless to the US without Turkey who holds the key to the european gateway.. Breaking the Russian monopoly on european natgas is the goal but with this behavior the US will just be doing the legwork then handing the ready made infrastructure to quatar/saui arabia who will be in a better position to negotiate terms with Turkey.
    The Russian monopoly of gas to Europe has just been broken, Israel Cyprus will be the major supplier by 2016. See past posts, med oil wars...as for this Turkey shutdown ( if true), many here just assume Assad will be ejected, he is Shia,Iran is Shia, Iraq soon to be Shia, Sauds and gulf states Sunni, maybe we will be witnessing soon the US's setback, and a Sunni defeat.....maybe the west loses this one and Assad, Russia, and Iran win this one after some horrible casualties ( think Iran/ Iraq Shia Sunni Killfest of the 80's- 2.5 million whacked)....getting interesting.Israel you say? They really, really would not like to see the Shia fanatics prevail....that about guarantees WW 2.5 at least.

6. Post #4

Gold Member+
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,389 Times in 1,641 Posts

. The Russian monopoly of gas to Europe has just been broken, Israel Cyprus will be the major supplier by 2016. See past posts, med oil wars...as for this Turkey shutdown ( if true), many here just assume Assad will be ejected, he is Shia,Iran is Shia, Iraq soon to be Shia, Sauds and gulf states Sunni, maybe we will be witnessing soon the US's setback, and a Sunni defeat.....maybe the west loses this one and Assad, Russia, and Iran win this one after some horrible casualties ( think Iran/ Iraq Shia Sunni Killfest of the 80's- 2.5 million whacked)....getting interesting.Israel you say? They really, really would not like to see the Shia fanatics prevail....that about guarantees WW 2.5 at least.
    Take your meds and calm the F down. I'm still waiting for your predicted North Korean attacks to commence.
    "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves"

-Confuscius- (504BC)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Paradise For This Useful Post:

earplugs (06-24-2013), honu5050 (06-24-2013)

8. Post #5

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 917601 View Post
    The Russian monopoly of gas to Europe has just been broken, Israel Cyprus will be the major supplier by 2016. See past posts, med oil wars...as for this Turkey shutdown ( if true), many here just assume Assad will be ejected, he is Shia,Iran is Shia, Iraq soon to be Shia, Sauds and gulf states Sunni, maybe we will be witnessing soon the US's setback, and a Sunni defeat.....maybe the west loses this one and Assad, Russia, and Iran win this one after some horrible casualties ( think Iran/ Iraq Shia Sunni Killfest of the 80's- 2.5 million whacked)....getting interesting.Israel you say? They really, really would not like to see the Shia fanatics prevail....that about guarantees WW 2.5 at least.
    I dont think you have much experience in the natgas biz.. To make the call that Israel/Cyrpus will be supplying natgas to anyone by 2016.. Let alone liquifying it on the scale required to ship to any pipeline infrastructure going to europe..

Reread what i explained above..

You're wrong on pretty much every point here..

Give this a read and it will be clear.. Go a little further and you will find a way to make money on it all..
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-0...ebels-revealed

9. Post #6

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 747 Posts

More likely Erdogan is worried about domestic opinion rather than Russian retribution

But its good news, Putin can have his special forces guy's cover the Jordan frontier easily.
    I'll be a Daisy if you do

10. Post #7

Midas Member
    Thanks

[QUOTE=creep276;563638]I dont think you have much experience in the natgas biz.. To make the call that Israel/Cyrpus will be supplying natgas to anyone by 2016.. Let alone liquifying it on the scale required to ship to any pipeline infrastructure going to europe..

You are 3 years behind the curve, I invested and am already reaping. This year the contracts were signed. They are way ahead of schedule. Guess you did not pull up my past posts, beginning 3 years ago.I highlighted your area of neglect. Bythe way, pull up a chart of NBL, some here on GIM are reaping in the profits also, I also pulled the trigger on more Israeli Cypriot energy stocks a few days ago, some are the building the LNG facilities and pipelines as we speak. Good Luck.

http://www.oilinisrael.net/top-stori...l-begins-today

Liquified Natural Gas Flow From Offshore Israel Begins Today....

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Ne...3#.Ucd-X8u9KSM

Israeli firms Delek Drilling and Anver Oil and Gas Exploration signed an agreement Monday to acquire a 30 percent stake in exploration rights for gas and oil off the southern shore of Cyprus.

The drilling is to be carried out by U.S.-based Noble Energy. Both Delek and Anver own majority rights in Israel’s own mammoth gas discoveries, the Leviathan and Tamar fields off Israel’s northern coast.

Cypriot Commerce Minister Neoclis Sylikiotis acknowledged in making the announcement that the deal provided a “new era of Cyprus-Israeli strategic cooperation which includes economic and political dimensions,” AFP reported.

The deal comes less than a week after Cyprus signed an agreement with French energy giant Total, to conduct exploratory drilling for gas and oil in two blocks off its southern shore.

Noble Energy, Inc was the first to drill when awarded Block 12, after Cyprus launched its search for an underwater gas field in 2007.

In December 2011, Noble announced it had discovered natural gas reserves of up to 8 trillion cubic feet (226.5 billion cubic meters), at an estimated value of 100 billion euros.

Cypriot analysts estimated the field could satisfy domestic needs “for decades” and enable the country to become a regional player with the export of gas to Europe by 2019.

More:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...s-funding.html

...Israeli gas exploration companies and Houston-based Noble Energy Inc. have discovered enough gas under the Mediterranean Sea over the past three years to supply the country’s needs for 150 years. The Tamar and Dalit fields are scheduled to start production this year, with output at the Leviathan field, the world’s largest find of its kind in a decade, starting three years later....

Enough of my table crumbs, check into the Gazprom deal, then you will be enlightened.Israeli energy has been very, very, good to me.( and you to if you read my investment picks from 3 years ago). Any more questions? I have given you picks to prosper, now go make some money.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=NBL+Basic+Chart&t=5y

'09 10 was excellent timing, don't be afraid, jump in. Put your fingers to work and pull up their dividends...been an added blessing.
    Last edited by 917601; 06-23-2013 at 08:11 PM.

11. Post #8

Thanks

Know how long it takes to bring a new project online?

I should have been more clear as to time frame and scale.

I mean supplying enough gas to europe to make any difference at all.. Ukraine and Poland will be making much more of a contribution in terms of volume natgas to europe than anything coming from israel or cyprus. They will definitely not be producing enough to "have already broken the russian monopoly".. And by that time Ukraine will be pumping out more than both combined and being in closer proximate to the existing pipeline networks have it pretty much nailed down. The majors just dropped $10B in ukraine but this wont be online until 2018..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Europe shale.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	40288

[QUOTE=917601;563655]
    Quote Originally Posted by creep276 View Post
    I dont think you have much experience in the natgas biz.. To make the call that Israel/Cyrpus will be supplying natgas to anyone by 2016.. Let alone liquifying it on the scale required to ship to any pipeline infrastructure going to europe..

You are 3 years behind the curve, I invested and am already reaping. This year the contracts were signed. They are way ahead of schedule. Guess you did not pull up my past posts, beginning 3 years ago.I highlighted your area of neglect. Bythe way, pull up a chart of NBL, some here on GIM are reaping in the profits also, I also pulled the trigger on more Israeli Cypriot energy stocks a few days ago, some are the building the LNG facilities and pipelines as we speak. Good Luck.

http://www.oilinisrael.net/top-stori...l-begins-today

Liquified Natural Gas Flow From Offshore Israel Begins Today....

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Ne...3#.Ucd-X8u9KSM

Israeli firms Delek Drilling and Anver Oil and Gas Exploration signed an agreement Monday to acquire a 30 percent stake in exploration rights for gas and oil off the southern shore of Cyprus.

The drilling is to be carried out by U.S.-based Noble Energy. Both Delek and Anver own majority rights in Israel’s own mammoth gas discoveries, the Leviathan and Tamar fields off Israel’s northern coast.

Cypriot Commerce Minister Neoclis Sylikiotis acknowledged in making the announcement that the deal provided a “new era of Cyprus-Israeli strategic cooperation which includes economic and political dimensions,” AFP reported.

The deal comes less than a week after Cyprus signed an agreement with French energy giant Total, to conduct exploratory drilling for gas and oil in two blocks off its southern shore.

Noble Energy, Inc was the first to drill when awarded Block 12, after Cyprus launched its search for an underwater gas field in 2007.

In December 2011, Noble announced it had discovered natural gas reserves of up to 8 trillion cubic feet (226.5 billion cubic meters), at an estimated value of 100 billion euros.

Cypriot analysts estimated the field could satisfy domestic needs “for decades” and enable the country to become a regional player with the export of gas to Europe by 2019.

More:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...s-funding.html

...Israeli gas exploration companies and Houston-based Noble Energy Inc. have discovered enough gas under the Mediterranean Sea over the past three years to supply the country’s needs for 150 years. The Tamar and Dalit fields are scheduled to start production this year, with output at the Leviathan field, the world’s largest find of its kind in a decade, starting three years later....

Enough of my table crumbs, check into the Gazprom deal, then you will be enlightened.Israeli energy has been very, very, good to me.( and you to if you read my investment picks from 3 years ago). Any more questions? I have given you picks to prosper, now go make some money.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=NBL+Basic+Chart&t=5y

'09 10 was excellent timing, don't be afraid, jump in. Put your fingers to work and pull up their dividends...been an added blessing.

12. Post #9

GIM Statesman
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,997 Times in 1,569 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Paradise View Post
    Take your meds and calm the F down. I'm still waiting for your predicted North Korean attacks to commence.
    say numbers ya might wanna try the meds your employers issue y'all....Enjoy
    IF YA CANT DAZZLE THEM WITH BRILLIANCE BAFFLE THEM WITH BULLsh!t.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to honu5050 For This Useful Post:

Mr Paradise (06-24-2013)

14. Post #10

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goldhedge View Post

The Turkish prime minister told Obama he is afraid of Russian retribution if he continues to let US and NATO weapons through to the Syrian rebels.
    If Obama had an introspection gene, he'd realize this is the inevitable result of "leading from behind", and other "humble" policies of weakness.

15. Post #11

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ensoniq View Post
    If Obama had an introspection gene, he'd realize this is the inevitable result of "leading from behind", and other "humble" policies of weakness.
    Hey, it's not HIS fault if somebody else messes up his Nobel-winning peace strategy!

16. Post #12

Midas Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by honu5050 View Post
    say numbers ya might wanna try the meds your employers issue y'all....Enjoy
    Strange, I have been giving you some good investment advice and you joke about it. Granted, you guys are a little " late" into the game, but there is much more to be realized. Do you have a problem with investing in Israel and energy independence? I will tell you, there is much more coming, exciting times for those that are " positioned" and stay tuned. One last table scrap.....Good Luck.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=DK&t=5y&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

Chart....

http://m.upi.com/story/UPI-80191361966184/

Gazprom constructing floating LNG....

http://www.lngworldnews.com/israeli-...s-lng-project/

...Cyprus is planning to construct a $6 billion LNG terminal, which will include facilities for the import, storage and regasification of liquefied natural gas, to process natural gas from offshore fields now under development.....

17. Post #13

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,341 Times in 2,807 Posts

I'd like to see the other countries move to charge Obama with war crimes for arming the overthrow of sovereign countries.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to southfork For This Useful Post:

Mr Paradise (06-24-2013)