Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Surprise guests!!

1. Post #1

Thanks
    Thanked 4,512 Times in 1,949 Posts

Default Surprise guests!!

happened to walk past our breakfast nook window, and a skinny redhead was peeking in at me.

In the background, the Peacock Fambly was most ricky-tick rustling their feathers huffily. (yellow pointer)

These suckers are endangered species in some states (Ohio comes to mind). They are the oldest living species of birds, having been around for over two and a half million years...

Just for the helluvit, I gently opened our slidy-glass door to our porch. I've got a tub of corn out there. The sandhill cranes were very wary, and started to run away. I quickly spread about a coffee can of corn out.

ZINNNNGGGGG!!

Big long-leggedy beauties came RUNNING back, all wariness forgotten. The just went home on my corn. So I went and got my camera, and opened the screen door... walked right up to them.

In no more than two minutes, the corn was gone. Meanwhile, my peacocks are still feeling huffy in the background.

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Unca Walt For This Useful Post:

Avalon (09-24-2013), BackwardsEngineeer (09-24-2013), Bender (09-24-2013), brosil (09-24-2013), FoundingFathers (09-24-2013), Goldhedge (09-24-2013), Gomez (09-24-2013), mcmurph (09-24-2013), mtnclimberjim (09-25-2013), phideaux (09-25-2013), Ragnarok (09-24-2013), Rcpb2000 (09-24-2013), searcher (09-24-2013), smooth (09-24-2013), stonedywankanobe (09-24-2013)

3. Post #2

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,376 Times in 705 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Surprise guests!!

Wish we had birds like them in around our area.

On a side note, very well narrated thread.

4. Post #3

Thanks

Default Re: Surprise guests!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gomez View Post
    Wish we had birds like them in around our area.

On a side note, very well narrated thread.
    Day-um! Thanks... but you realize you just stepped on my Author-Triggering-Device!

I've got three novels out there in hardcover, and also on Kindle and NOOK. Kindle price for one of my novels is a whopping 99cents

Just click here: http://www.amazon.com/kindle-store/dp/B004E10YOI for this:

And here's: http://www.amazon.com/Cadet-Adventur...lt+c.+snedeker

Lastly, http://www.amazon.com/Faerie-Diamond...lt+c.+snedeker

I have until next week to bail my sister out of a Turkish brothel. I need another 99 cents, but I only get 49 cents of the 99 cents for the price of the book... So we need two books sold.

My sister is a 77-year old virgin with many grandchildren.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unca Walt For This Useful Post:

Argentium (09-24-2013), Rcpb2000 (09-24-2013)

6. Post #4

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,060 Times in 986 Posts

Nice looking yard Walt. I'll trade yea a bushel of squirrels, opossums, and racoons each, for a couple of peacocks. I'll even throw in a few moles to sweeten the deal.

7. Post #5

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

They are amazing birds.....

My wife and I saw hundreds of them migrating over Denali last week. What stands out most is the unusual noise they make in flight.... Awesome to watch as they work the currents, circle and regroup over head....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0984.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	45704

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0003 (2).jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	45705

8. Post #6

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smooth View Post
    Nice looking yard Walt. I'll trade yea a bushel of squirrels, opossums, and racoons each, for a couple of peacocks. I'll even throw in a few moles to sweeten the deal.
    YOWZA. Gots no moles, but sure gots all those others. Including foxies and otters. Shot two piggies with my crossbow, too.

I put a creaky little .gif together a while back. I had put my game camera on a stepladder facing the house. You can see the raccoon doing his dance, but at one point a second raccoon bumped the ladder so the camera jolted.

Lemme see if I can make this work...

damn.

I suck at this. Well, we gots semi-tame bunnies, too: That is the same feeder right outside:

9. Post #7

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 522 Posts

Walt and I done a little tradin through the mail a few weeks back. I got me a signed and inscribed copy of Bat and Balloon War.
    Now...Im not much of a reader outside of Gim but I'm glad me and UW made this trade. Walt...I dig your style man and i'm lovin the book.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stonedywankanobe For This Useful Post:

mtnclimberjim (09-25-2013)

11. Post #8

Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 943 Posts

Dude, are you kidding about the Sandhills? We have them all over the Treasure Coast right up the road from South Florida. They are endangered, but a freakin' nuisance. They wake me up at 7am on the weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...01661075806429

12. Post #9

Thanks
    Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nickndfl View Post
    Dude, are you kidding about the Sandhills? We have them all over the Treasure Coast right up the road from South Florida. They are endangered, but a freakin' nuisance. They wake me up at 7am on the weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...01661075806429
    Sandhill cranes endangered? I thought it was whooping cranes? When we lived in Texas, my Dad and me hunted cranes around Muleshoe. Smart birds.
    "The two most common substances in the Universe are hydrogen and stupidity."

Be the Organ Grinder, not the Monkey.

A Trillion Dollars is a stack of $100 bills, 679 miles high.

13. Post #10

Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 943 Posts

Yes, endangered and protected, otherwise I would use them for target practice. They are as bad as peacocks at making noise. And the other little hole diggers in the video are a pain too.

14. Post #11

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stonedywankanobe View Post
    Walt and I done a little tradin through the mail a few weeks back. I got me a signed and inscribed copy of Bat and Balloon War.
    Now...Im not much of a reader outside of Gim but I'm glad me and UW made this trade. Walt...I dig your style man and i'm lovin the book.

Why, thankee kindly stonedy.

For a tad of veracity, here is the Oyster Reach from "The Bat and Balloon War -- An Alternate History of WWII" , where Himself hoisted several in revered memory of my personal hero, Douglas Bader who frequented the joint:

And here is Dogsbody hisself:

Since blood could not pool in his tin legs, he could pull G's more than anyone else. He was never shot down, but he did collide with a Bf109.

Wound up in a hospital. Escaped. Got sent to Colditz. Escaped. The Germans were totally flustered with him, 'cause they couldn't very well take his legs from him to stop him from getting away.

If you can find the book, "Reach For The Sky", he'll prolly become your hero, too. Amazing man.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unca Walt For This Useful Post:

mtnclimberjim (09-25-2013), stonedywankanobe (09-25-2013)

16. Post #12

Thanks

Squirrels are my bane.

See that uppity bush directly behind the hanging feeder?

That is my macadamia nut tree. Sumbitch produces about 500 or so per year. I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN ONE. Fargin squirrels.

And I have a mini-peach tree. Produces a hunnert or more tweeny-weeny nickel-sized peaches each year. We have gotten THREE.

Jeez.