Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: John McAfee On Obamacare: 'This Is A Hacker's Wet Dream'

1. Post #1

Thanks
    Thanked 17,477 Times in 8,121 Posts

Default John McAfee On Obamacare: 'This Is A Hacker's Wet Dream'

I'm certainly no expert on par with John McAfee, but I worked in software development for 15+ years and I think he is dramatically understating the problem. The software design and implementation is just as big a disaster as the concept of ObombaCare itself.

They have no Effin' clue what they are doing. And the geniuses got paid bazillion bucks to write it.

This is obvious from second one, when most of the web sites crashed. Obviously they forgot or ignored a basic no-brainer step in the development process: load testing - determining the system's practical peak capacity and making sure it can handle the expected "load".

I'm 100% confident the system is loaded with flaws, bugs, loopholes, back-doors and other "features.". It will break wide open like fortune cookie.

John McAfee On Obamacare Tech: People Will Lose Millions of Dollars

Faulting, not the software, but the basic design approach,John McAfee, founder of McAfee, Inc. has been harshly critical of the tech roll-out behind ObamaCare.

McAfee pointed out that, because there is no central point of control when it comes to ObamaCare's web-based health care exchanges, almost anyone can create a site that would look completely legitimate, for all intents and purposes.

From there, it would be easy for hackers to get their hands on important personal information such as the birth date and social security number of would be subscribers. McAfee predicted that scores of Americans will be scammed to the tune of millions of dollars as a result of the flawed design.

McAFEE: Well, here's the problem -- it's not something software can solve. I mean, what idiot put this system out there and did not create a central depository? There should be one website, run by the government, you go to that website and then you can click on all of the agencies. This is insane. So, I will predict that the loss of income for the millions of Americans who are going to lose their identities -- I mean, you can imagine some retired lady in Utah, who has $75,000 dollars in the bank, saving her whole life, having it wiped out one day because she signed up for Obamacare. And believe me, this is going to happen millions of times. This is a hacker's wet dream. I cannot believe that they did this.

Last edited by phideaux; 10-09-2013 at 08:48 PM.
    " 'The problem' is, uh, I'm the president of the United States;
    I'm not, uh, the emperor of the United States."

-- Barrack Hussein Soetoro Soebarkah Obama Shama-Lama-Ding-Dong the Magnificent! - 02/17/13

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to phideaux For This Useful Post:

Brio (10-13-2013), D-FENZ (10-09-2013), Irons (10-09-2013), Mr Paradise (10-09-2013), searcher (10-05-2013), shipwreck (10-10-2013), Son of Gloin (10-18-2013)

3. Post #2

Gold Member
    Thanks

Default Re: John McAfee On Obamacare: 'This Is A Hacker's Wet Dream'

I'm taking a different outlook, just think about the services end.

You don't like someone, and they are having surgery. So, you contact a hacker, he makes a couple of switches in your medical records that your aren't allergic to penicillin based drugs. POOF, you're 6 ft under and all they are going to say is that it was a mistake.

We're screwed. The people that voted this idiot and his minions in to office should be the ones to suffer, not the innocents that didn't vote for him.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tbonz For This Useful Post:

Cignus (10-17-2013)

5. Post #3

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tbonz View Post
    I'm taking a different outlook, just think about the services end.

You don't like someone, and they are having surgery. So, you contact a hacker, he makes a couple of switches in your medical records that your aren't allergic to penicillin based drugs. POOF, you're 6 ft under and all they are going to say is that it was a mistake.
    Sure, that too. There is no limit to how many ways this thing will go bad.

-- Barrack Hussein Soetoro Soebarkah Obama Shama-Lama-Ding-Dong the Magnificent! - 02/17/13

6. Post #4

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner ^updated^'s Avatar
    Thanks

What did you expect?

The web page was designed by the same bunch that brought us Obama's Birth Certificate.
    Last edited by ^updated^; 10-05-2013 at 05:36 PM.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ^updated^ For This Useful Post:

DodgebyDave (10-05-2013), GOLD DUCK (10-10-2013), Gomez (10-11-2013), phideaux (10-05-2013)

8. Post #5

Thanks
    Thanked 4,659 Times in 1,786 Posts

Side topic but was it McAfee who was recently on the run for murder and was stupid enough to post a photo (including embedded GPS info) of himself somewhere in Central America? Or was that some other tech genius?

Back to main topic: I'll state again that the primary purpose of Obama Care is to centralize power with the government and to keep Democrats in office till the sun burns out. To that end, it is brilliantly designed and executed.
    Oppressing everyone to avoid oppressing anyone is the egalitarian ethos gone mad.- Daniel Greenfield

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. -C.S. Lewis

The home of the brave came before the land of the free.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TomD For This Useful Post:

Gomez (10-11-2013)

10. Post #6

Lawn Protected by Guns Of Avalon Avalon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Side topic but was it McAfee who was recently on the run for murder and was stupid enough to post a photo (including embedded GPS info) of himself somewhere in Central America? Or was that some other tech genius?

It sure looks like the same Guy who was accused of killing his neighbor and then went into hiding.

11. Post #7

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus GOLDZILLA's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,165 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post

Back to main topic: I'll state again that the primary purpose of Obama Care is to centralize power with the government and to keep Democrats in office till the sun burns out. To that end, it is brilliantly designed and executed.
    Maybe he put the gps coordinates in the picture to make tptb think he was in central america while he was in their very own borders.
    I'm a jeenyus, and i approve this massage.

12. Post #8

Thanks

The ObombaCare software and website are worse than the plan itself.

This is just like Benghazi. Blame it on a convenient scapegoat: that amateur U-Toob video, and now too much website traffic. These pathological liars will say anything but the truth: ObombaCare is a world-class POS. This thing is gonna blow up like a bag of sh*t dropped from a thousand feet.

ERROR: OBAMACARE WEBSITE RESETS USER PASSWORDS

by BREITBART NEWS 9 Oct 2013, 2:24 PM

Thanks to the disastrous technological failures of the Obamacare healthcare.gov website, the website has now been forced to reset the passwords for all users. According to ArsTechnica.com, “According to registrants speaking with Ars, individuals whose logins never made it to the site's database will have to re-register using a different username, as their previously chosen names are now stuck in authentication limbo.”

Failures of the Obamacare website have meant that thousands of potential applicants have been unable to register. ArsTechnica reports that federal contractors are “scrambling to deploy more fixes,” and says that technical support centers are buckling under the weight of calls looking for help. Ars adds that “changes made to profiles already within the system may not be saved either.”

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/10/09/Obamacare-website-failure
    Last edited by phideaux; 10-09-2013 at 08:30 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to phideaux For This Useful Post:

Gomez (10-11-2013)

14. Post #9

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,375 Times in 2,822 Posts

Just got this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.velocity.exception.ResourceNotFoundExce ption: Unable to find resource '/layout/header.vm'
    org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManag erImpl.loadResource(ResourceManagerImpl.java:474)
    org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManag erImpl.getResource(ResourceManagerImpl.java:352)
    org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.getTem plate(RuntimeInstance.java:1533)
    org.apache.velocity.runtime.directive.Parse.render (Parse.java:197)
    org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTDirecti ve.render(ASTDirective.java:207)
    org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.SimpleNode .render(SimpleNode.java:342)
    org.apache.velocity.Template.merge(Template.java:3 56)
    org.apache.velocity.Template.merge(Template.java:2 60)
    org.apache.velocity.tools.view.VelocityLayoutServl et.mergeTemplate(VelocityLayoutServlet.java:206)
    org.apache.velocity.tools.view.VelocityViewServlet .doRequest(VelocityViewServlet.java:220)
    org.apache.velocity.tools.view.VelocityViewServlet .doGet(VelocityViewServlet.java:182)
    javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:617)
    javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:717)
    org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.NormalRewrittenU rl.doRewrite(NormalRewrittenUrl.java:213)
    org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.RuleChain.handle Rewrite(RuleChain.java:171)
    org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.RuleChain.doRule s(RuleChain.java:145)
    org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.UrlRewriter.proc essRequest(UrlRewriter.java:92)
    org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.UrlRewriteFilter .doFilter(UrlRewriteFilter.java:381)
    gov.hhs.cms.ffe.ee.ui.servlet.CrawlerServlet.doFil ter(CrawlerServlet.java:58)
    gov.hhs.cms.base.common.security.filter.RbacSecuri tyFilter.doFilter(RbacSecurityFilter.java:249)
    org.rhq.helpers.rtfilter.filter.RtFilter.doFilter( RtFilter.java:125)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/6.0.32 logs.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to southfork For This Useful Post:

phideaux (10-09-2013)

16. Post #10

Thanks

CBS NEWS: OBAMACARE ROLLOUT 'NOTHING SHORT OF DISASTROUS'

"The entire website needs an overhaul. It's not even ready for beta testing."

Video here: http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-T...-Of-Disastrous
    Last edited by phideaux; 10-09-2013 at 08:37 PM.

17. Post #11

Thanks

Sources: Healthcare.Gov a 'Nightmare'

by DAN RIEHL 8 Oct 2013

The growing consensus is that problems plaguing the recently launched ObamaCare website Healthcare.gov go well beyond handling the initial amount of traffic and include serious software and hardware issues.

Worse, even if it were running correctly, many believe it's incapable of providing potential consumers with correct information. Add those issues together and Obama may have been smart to go along with Republicans who sought to delay implementation of the law.

... a source close to the insurance industry said things aren’t looking good so far. State and federal systems appear to have problems communicating with each other, and insurers aren’t confident in the accuracy of subsidy calculations for the few consumers getting that far in the process.

“It just sounds like a nightmare,” the source said.

If the tech is so decidedly not ready for prime-time, one has to wonder just how much of the law may not be ready, either.

Reuters spoke with five outside technology experts who say "they believe flaws in system architecture, not traffic alone, contributed to the problems".

That creates a problem given the Obama administration's likely false claims that the issues are simply traffic related. Scaling up a website to accomodate more traffic than was perhaps initially expected isn't rocket science; however, trying to do it with a system that is technologically flawed can be all but imp[ossible.

"Adding capacity sounds great until you realize that if you didn't design it right that won't help," said Bill Curtis, chief scientist at CAST, a software quality analysis firm, and director of the Consortium for IT Software Quality. "The architecture of the software may limit how much you can add on to it. I suspect they'll have to reconfigure a lot of it."

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2...ov-a-Nightmare

18. The Following User Says Thank You to phideaux For This Useful Post:

Gomez (10-11-2013)

19. Post #12

Deep Sixed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,335 Times in 7,486 Posts

Thanks Fido! We can't make this stuff up folks! ................................. Attachment 46679

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Irons For This Useful Post:

phideaux (10-09-2013)

21. Post #13

Thanks

Even Far Leftie Ezra Klein admits it.

Wonkbook: Obamacare’s Web site is really bad

By Ezra Klein and Evan Soltas, Published: October 4 at 8:48 am

Welcome to Wonkbook, Ezra Klein and Evan Soltas's morning policy news primer. To subscribe by e-mail, click here. Send comments, criticism, or ideas to Wonkbook at Gmail dot com. To read more by Ezra and his team, go to Wonkblog.\

Health & Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius.
    (Jeff Martin / for The Washington Post)

"We’re building a complicated piece of technology," Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius said on the first day of Obamacare, "and hopefully you’ll give us the same slack you give Apple."

The Apple analogy has been oft-used by the Obama administration -- including by President Obama himself.
    "A couple of weeks ago, Apple rolled out a new mobile operating system, and within days, they found a glitch, so they fixed it," Obama said. "I don’t remember anybody suggesting Apple should stop selling iPhones or iPads or threatening to shut down the company if they didn’t."

But the Obama administration doesn't have a basically working product that would be improved by a software update. They have a Web site that almost nobody has been able to successfully use. If Apple launched a major new product that functioned as badly as Obamacare's online insurance marketplace, the tech world would be calling for Tim Cook's head.

The good news for Obamacare is that lots of people want to sign up. Lots and lots of people. Many more, in fact, than anyone expected. The bad news is that the Obama administration's online insurance marketplace -- which serves 34 states -- can't handle the success.

"The amount of demand is really driving the issues," a senior administration official told me. "But we’re adding capacity every hour."

Yes, the overwhelming crush of traffic is behind many of the Web site's failures. But the Web site was clearly far, far from prepared for traffic at anywhere near these levels. That's a planning flaw: The Obama administration badly underestimated the level of interest. The fact that the traffic is good news for the law doesn't obviate the fact that the site's inability to absorb that traffic is bad news for the law.

Part of the problem, according to a number of designers, is that the site is badly coded, which makes the traffic problems more acute. There's a darkly amusing thread on Reddit where web designers are picking through the site's code and mocking it mercilessly. "They're loading 11 CSS files and 62 (wat?) JavaScript files on each page, uncompressed and without expires headers," writes Spektr44. "They have blocks of HTML inexplicably wrapped in script tags. Wtf?"

Lots of people are seeing this screen when they try to sign up for Obamacare.

Some of the problems on the site don't require any particular coding experience to identify. While the design is clean and clear, the instructions can be confusing. For instance, when you choose your username, the site says: "The username is case sensitive. Choose a username that is 6-74 characters long and must contain a lowercase or capital letter, a number, or one of these symbols _.@/-."

Making matters worse, the warning that your username doesn't comply disappears when you click your cursor in the password field, rather than when you type in a conforming username. (At least for me. Though a few screens after that, the site crashed on me entirely.)

No one knows how many people have actually signed up through the federal exchanges. As of Thursday morning, health-care reporters were desperately trying to find even one. Eventually, Chad Henderson was of Georgia was located. He was subsequently interviewed by pretty much every news organization in the country. According to his Facebook page, he was also asked to be on a conference call put on by the Department of Health and Human Services, which suggests that they're not exactly overwhelmed with successful applicants to trot out before the press.

While we can't know for sure, it's possible and even likely that the number of visitors who are actually being able to sign up for insurance is quite low.

Republicans who decided to shut down the government this week rather than relentlessly message against the Affordable Care Act's glitches did the law a great favor. The site's flaws are real -- and if there was more focus on them, they'd be quite embarrassing.

Of course, the problem for Republicans is that the proximate cause of the problems directly undercuts their agenda. The fact that the site is buckling under the traffic is not a reason to defund or delay the law. Indeed, it's perverse to use the overwhelming demand as a reason to take the law away from the people who so clearly need it. And even if it takes a few more days or even weeks until the site is working as well as it should be, the open enrollment period still has another five months and 27 days (or so) to run. These are fixable, not fatal, problems.

But the Obama administration did itself -- and the millions of people who wanted to explore signing up -- a terrible disservice by building a Web site that, four days into launch, is still unusable for most Americans. They knew that the only way to quiet the law's critics was to implement it effectively. And building a working e-commerce Web site is not an impossible task, even with the added challenges of getting various government data services to talk to each other. Instead, the Obama administration gave critics arguing that the law isn't ready for primetime more ammunition for their case.

There are signs the site is improving. The early word from insurers is that basically no one was able to sign up during the first two days, though successful applications began to "trickle" in on day three. HHS says that added capacity has cut wait times by a third, though wait times aren't the only problem, as I found when I got through the queue only to have the site crash on me five or six screens in. The Obama administration need to get the marketplace working, and fast.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/10/04/wonkbook-obamacares-web-site-is-really-bad/

22. Post #14

Thanks

Maybe it's part of the plan, diversion from this deepening scandal:

White House, IRS exchanged confidential taxpayer info

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/09/wh...taxpayer-info/

23. The Following User Says Thank You to phideaux For This Useful Post:

Tbonz (10-09-2013)

24. Post #15

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,375 Times in 2,822 Posts

Been getting this now and cant log in anymore, site is slo and it really suks, but then they only had 4 years to prepare for it didn't they.

The webpage cannot be found

HTTP 400

Most likely causes:
    •There might be a typing error in the address.
    •If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.

What you can try:

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

Go to and look for the information you want.

More information More information

25. Post #16

Thanks

Many tried to warn officials of Obamacare website jam

The healthcare.gov website, which has struggled with glitches since its Oct. 1 launch. (AP Photo/HHS)

By Juliet Eilperin, Amy Goldstein and Sandhya Somashekhar, The Washington Post
    POSTED ON OCTOBER 9, 2013 | UPDATED: OCTOBER 9, 2013 5:47 AM MDT

Major insurers, state health-care officials and Democratic allies repeatedly warned the Obama administration in recent months that the new federal health-insurance exchange had significant problems, according to people familiar with the conversations. Despite those warnings and intense criticism from Republicans, the White House proceeded with an Oct. 1 launch.

A week after the federal website opened, technical problems continued to plague the system, and on Tuesday people were locked out until 10 a.m., although some applicants were able to sign up as the day went on. Officials said that they were working 24 hours a day to improve the system and that they were confident it would soon be able to meet the demand. They added that there was ample time to correct the site to allow consumers to get insured by Jan. 1.
    "This is a question of volume and demand exceeding anything that people anticipated," said White House strategist David Simas, who is helping to oversee the law's implementation. "I am confident people are working through these issues. . . . It is steady improvement."

Rep. Robert Andrews, D-N.J., who played a key role in passing the health-care law and has worked on its implementation, said he told White House officials early this summer he had been hearing from insurers that the online system had flaws.

"Nothing I told them ever surprised them," Andrews said in an interview. "The White House has acknowledged all along something this massive was going to have implementation problems."

Two allies of the administration, both of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the controversy surrounding the rollout, said they approached White House officials this year to raise concerns that the federal exchange was not ready to launch. In both cases, Obama officials assured them there was no cause for alarm.

Robert Laszewski, a health-care consultant with clients in the insurance industry, said insurers were complaining loudly that the site, at www.healthcare.gov, was not working smoothly during frequent teleconferences with officials at the Department of Health and Human Services before the exchange's launch and afterward. "People were pulling out their hair," he said.

One senior administration official, who requested anonymity to describe the internal White House discussions, said the administration was prepared to encounter some challenges with the launch, "but we had a lot more traffic than we thought, and so discovered problems managing that load."

Administration officials continued Tuesday to decline to say how many people have gone through all the steps to pick a health plan through the website. They said they would give a monthly tally, probably starting in mid-November.
    Last week, HHS and White House officials gave updates on the number of people who had logged onto the site, noting that 8.6 million unique visitors had logged on in the first three days and as many as 250,000 were on at one time. On Tuesday, an HHS official said that "an extraordinary number of people are coming to check out" the website, without offering specifics.

Republicans on the House Energy and Commerce Committee sent a letter to HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius on Tuesday demanding that she disclose exactly how many consumers have purchased health plans through the new exchanges.

Meanwhile, states continued to tout new data about the number of shoppers who had applied for health-insurance coverage on their websites.

California, which has the largest uninsured population in the country, said that more than 28,000 people completed applications for coverage during the first week. New York reported that more than 40,000 people have signed up for coverage. In the District of Columbia, 1,112 applications have been submitted. Washington's state's marketplace, WAHealthPlanFinder, counted 9,452 enrollments through its site.

Andrews said concern over the law "has morphed from a political issue to a consumer issue in the past month." He said he spoke Tuesday with a constituent who was upset that he had not been able to get on the site. "But his reaction was not, 'Impeach the president,' " said Andrews, whose state relies on the federal exchange. "It was, 'Let's fix the site, and let me see what it means for me and my family.' "

Outside the White House, people familiar with the setup efforts had been warning of chaos in the days and months leading up to Oct. 1.

On Sept. 18, Louisiana's health and hospitals secretary, Kathy Kliebert, testified before a House subcommittee that the administration was giving confusing information and making last-minute changes that left the state scrambling. For example, she said, the website had long said that a woman could change insurance policies outside the open enrollment period if she were to become pregnant or have a baby. But shortly before the hearing that changed, to just having a baby.

"After seeking clarification, we've received multiple and conflicting answers from HHS officials," said Kliebert, an opponent of the law.

David Brailer, who worked as HHS' first national coordinator for health information technology during the launch of the Medicare drug benefit in 2006, said the administration could have anticipated that the opening of the federal exchange would trigger a rush of Americans onto the website, either as onlookers or outright buyers.

He pointed out that the exchange was built to accommodate 50,000 to 60,000 visitors at a time — fewer than half as many as the enrollment site for the Medicare drug benefit could handle. The number of older Americans eligible for the drug benefit was far greater than the group of uninsured people who will be allowed to buy insurance through the health exchange, Brailer said, but many elderly patients didn't have home computers at the time, compared with the near-universal access to the Web that exists across the United States today. For a new program that's had as much advertising as the Affordable Care Act, building a website for just 60,000 people at a time "is weird. The math just doesn't add up," he said.

John Engates, chief technology officer at service provider RackSpace, said the government should have been able to prepare for the type of traffic that the site has experienced.

"I think that any modern Web company would be well prepared for a launch of this scale," said Engates. "We're not talking about hundreds of millions of people and we're not talking about complex transactions. This isn't downloading full movies off of Netflix. The question I have is: Did they have enough time to prepare and did the people doing the work know what they were doing?"

Officials at HHS' Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services oversaw the construction and operation of the website, and much of the work was conducted by contractors.

Aneesh Chopra, who served as White House chief technology officer from 2009 to 2012, defended the site's response to its initial problems, comparing it to the ones United and Continental airlines experienced when they combined their online reservation systems.

Health-insurance companies also have been having trouble accessing the parts of the site they need to find out who has enrolled in their health plans and to get payment information.

And some insurance brokers have been stymied in getting online authorization from the federal government to sell the health plans available through the exchange. "Agents are having just as much trouble accessing the online sites as consumers," said Kathryn Gaglione, a spokeswoman for the National Association of Health Underwriters.

Simas, the White House strategist, said the administration is proceeding with its plan to sign up Americans for insurance over a period of six months and will continue to monitor how it is proceeding.

"There is a plan; we will execute on the plan," he said. "One of the things we will do periodically is look at what we're doing and make adjustments based on what we are learning and seeing."

http://www.elpasotimes.com/politics-national/?third_party=many-tried-to-warn-officials-of-obamacare-website-jam

26. Post #17

Thanks
    Thanked 5,206 Times in 3,426 Posts

QWAK,Geting the public to accept Obamacare is like forcing 300 million cats to swallow a pill they don't want to swallow!

the DUCK
    "ALL is ONE" What we DO to and FOR others we DO "TO and FOR" our selves ultimitly!

People SELDOM look for TRUTH! What they look for is CONFERMATION that what they have chosen to believe IS TRUTH! This is why people will believe almost ANY THING and also WHY the WORLD is SO MESSED UP!

IT is never realy OVER -- things just CHANGE!

You can QUOTE me on ALL! It IS what I believe to be TRUE!

I AM, the DUCK

27. The Following User Says Thank You to GOLD DUCK For This Useful Post:

Son of Gloin (10-18-2013)

28. Post #18

Thanks

$93M ObamaCare website may face months of glitches, experts warn

By Kelley Vlahos
    Published October 09, 2013FoxNews.com

• A screenshot of the HealthCare.gov website, which has experienced numerous glitches since it was launched Oct. 1.

WASHINGTON – The $93 million website launched to process customers through the new ObamaCare marketplace may experience significant technical glitches for months, computer software experts told FoxNews.com.
    “I wouldn’t rule out that possibility,” said George Edwards, a computer scientist and professor at the University of Southern California. It all depends on when they identify the bugs, where they are, and if they can be resolved easily, he said -- all while the site is running and open to millions of customers.

“[It's] like trying to repair a car while someone is driving it,” he told FoxNews.com.

Not only was the site still experiencing substantial problems Wednesday, a week after launching, but the White House had reportedly been aware for months that the HealthCare.gov websitehad flaws and might not be ready to launch. Yet officials insisted on the Oct. 1 roll out anyway.

'The user interface was something that was tested least or not done right -- or both.'
    - James Turner, a member of the technical staff at software firm Beeonics, Inc.

Robert Laszewski, a consultant with clients in the healthcare industry participating in the new exchange, said insurance companies were complaining “loudly” that the site had experienced problems before the launch. “People were pulling out their hair,” he told The Washington Post Wednesday.

"How can we tax people for not buying a product from a website that doesn't work?" Speaker of the House John Boehner asked.

Edwards and other software engineering experts said that a significant number of issues appeared to relate to the “front end” or user experience. This typically means there is something wrong with the basic construction of the software, in particular, the Javascript code that activates within the browser.

“I was trying to use it as a consumer … and I could see the Javascript errors,” said James Turner, a member of the technical staff at software company Beeonics and contributing editor at O’Reilly.com. He told FoxNews.com that he tried to apply in order to compare insurance prices numerous times and in four different browsers -- all to no avail.
    “I’ve been a software developer for 33 years now,” he said. “After awhile when something is not working right, you just kind of know the reasons why things are failing. It looks like the user interface was something that was tested least or not done right, or both.”

In addition to the high volume of people who accessed Healthcare.gov when it was launched on Oct. 1, crippling the site on and off for the first few days, complaints have evolved around users’ inability to create new accounts, or once they do, not being able to log on and move forward with choosing a health plan -- the primary function of the site.
    Attempts to create new usernames and passwords have resulted in multiple spouses and duplicate family members attached to accounts, for instance. Sometimes, the site just freezes up and the user doesn’t know whether to back up, wait, or keep pressing keys to prompt the system.

In short, it’s been a nightmare, for users and the government offices that have had to field the questions and wisecracks from the political and technical community who say they should have anticipated the problems all along.
    “What we have here is the perfect storm in software development,” Turner said. He said the heavy volume slowing down the back-end servers was “understandable,” yet “the fundamental problem with this not working right is less forgivable.”

"One of the oldest sayings in the software industry is that you have time, money and features -- or quality -- and you get to pick any two. Money and features, but late, or time and features, but over-budget,” he told FoxNews.com.
    “Something had to give. That thing was quality.”

He and others who spoke with FoxNews.com say that there are several reasons for the quality lapse, the biggest perhaps, was that it was not given sufficient time to be tested, particularly with all of the major functions it’s expected to perform. “I'm not a Washington insider, but we’ve been hearing all summer that this thing was having issues. There just wasn’t time to test it or fix it.”

Aside from all the “dumb” errors that Turner and others have recognized (at one point, commenters at Reddit.com were pointing out spelling errors in the Javascript), Edwards said that the government had faced monumental challenges from the outset, including the fact that Healthcare.gov had a hard deadline with a rollout “event,” forcing it to skip “beta” test mode. Because ObamaCare involves multiple government agencies and private insurers, the website had to be able to accommodate all of their myriad “legacy” computer networks. In short, all these different networks have to be capable of talking to each other, and efficiently.

So far, according to the White House and Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), which is overseeing Healthcare.gov, the major culprit has been volume and capacity.

“An extraordinary number of people are coming to check out HealthCare.gov. Traffic on the web site and at the call center continues to be high, suggesting a strong interest by consumers in learning about their health coverage options,” HHS said in a statement to FoxNews.com.

“To improve access to the system, work at night has significantly cut down on time people wait before accessing the website.” Officials have stated that the site had some 8.6 million unique visitors over the first three days, with as many as 250,000 on at the same time.

Edwards and Turner said that, aside from being able to see the code on the front end, it is difficult to know exactly what is going on with the site.

“Because of the time constraints, they’re crowd-sourcing their quality assurance to the American public,” Turner said. “We’re being used to find the bugs.”

The company contracted in 2011 for $93 million to build the website, CGI Group Inc., has so far declined comment.
    “In my opinion, intermittent, but not fatal, problems will persist for some time – perhaps even until December 15,” Edwards said.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/10/09/3-million-obamacare-website-may-face-months-glitches-experts-warn/

29. Post #19

Thanks

WE PAID $634 MILLION FOR THE OBAMACARE SITES AND ALL WE GOT WAS THIS LOUSY 404

By Andrew Couts October 8, 2013

It’s been one full week since the flagship technology portion of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) went live. And since that time, the befuddled beast that is Healthcare.gov has shutdown, crapped out, stalled, and mis-loaded so consistently that its track record for failure is challenged only by Congress.

The site itself, which apparently underwent major code renovations over the weekend, still rejects user logins, fails to load drop-down menus and other crucial components for users that successfully gain entrance, and otherwise prevents uninsured Americans in the 36 states it serves from purchasing healthcare at competitive rates – Healthcare.gov’s primary purpose. The site is so busted that, as of a couple days ago, the number of people that successfully purchased healthcare through it was in the “single digits,” according to the Washington Post.
    We, the taxpayers, seem to have forked up more than $634 million of the federal purse to build the digital equivalent of a rock.

The reason for this nationwide headache apparently stems from poorly written code, which buckled under the heavy influx of traffic that its engineers and administrators should have seen coming. But the fact that Healthcare.gov can’t do the one job it was built to do isn’t the most infuriating part of this debacle – it’s that we, the taxpayers, seem to have forked up more than $634 million of the federal purse to build the digital equivalent of a rock.

The exact cost to build Healthcare.gov, according to U.S. government records, appears to have been $634,320,919, which we paid to a company you probably never heard of: CGI Federal. The company originallywon the contract back in 2011, but at that time, the cost was expected to run “up to” $93.7 million – still a chunk of change, but nothing near where it ended up.

Given the complicated nature of federal contracts, it’s difficult to make a direct comparison between the cost to develop Healthcare.gov and the amount of money spent building private online businesses. But for the sake of putting the monstrous amount of money into perspective, here are a few figures to chew on: Facebook, which received its first investment in June 2004, operated for afull six years before surpassing the $600 million mark in June 2010. Twitter, created in 2006, managed to get by with only $360.17 million in total funding until a $400 million boost in 2011. Instagram ginned up just $57.5 million in funding before Facebook bought it for (a staggering) $1 billion last year. And LinkedIn and Spotify, meanwhile, have only raised, respectively, $200 million and $288 million.

Government has a long history of spending money unnecessarily. But in an age when the U.S is home to the world’s largest, most successful Internet companies, how is it possible that we can’t even manage to build a functional website without blowing through hundreds of millions of dollars?

The best answer I’ve found comes from theDepartment of Better Technology, a private company that builds software for governments – a competitor, in other words, to CGI Federal, whichspecializes in building software solutions for major industry sectors including defense, energy and environment, financial and, of course, healthcare. Still, biased though it may be, the argument makes a lot of sense.

As one of the company’s authors wrote in a recent blog post, the failure of Healthcare.gov isn’t because the people in our government are inept mouth-breathers who regard the work as a meaningless burden, but because the factors that play into which companies receive government contracts, a process called “procurement,” are fundamentally broken.

“Contracting officers – people inside of the government in charge of selecting who gets to do what work – are afraid of their buys being contested by people who didn’t get selected,” writes the author. “They’re also afraid of things going wrong down the line inside of a procurement, so they select vendors with a lot of ‘federal experience’ to do the work.”

When things still go wrong, they simply throw ‘more money at the same people who caused the problem to fix the problem.’

And when things still go wrong, they simply throw “more money at the same people who caused the problem to fix the problem.”

Considering the frustrating bunch we have in Congress at the moment, this assessment seems particularly believable.

Unlike some Americans, I actually want the Obamacare exchanges to succeed. I’ve given the state-specific options a try (there are 15 of them, including Washington D.C.’s) and they seem to greatly simplify the process of buying healthcare. And the rates do appear to come in far lower than what many people without health insurance from an employer have had to bear until now. It’s not government-run healthcare. There are no death panels. And, from what I can tell, the world will not end if more people have health insurance – quite the opposite, in fact.

What I cannot stand is a nation that has vast technological resources in its citizenry spending $600 million of our collective money to slap together a product that, thus far, has only managed to waste people’s precious minutes. So the next time our government comes up with any bright idea that relies upon a massive website, let’s all be sure to ask how they plan to build it. Because the standard operating procedure at the moment is just plain sick.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/opinion/obamacare-healthcare-gov-website-cost/

30. Post #20

Deep Sixed
    Thanks

its track record for failure is challenged only by Congress.

Goddam that's about the worst insult the author could have come up with. . .

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Irons For This Useful Post:

phideaux (10-10-2013)

32. Post #21

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irons View Post
    Goddam that's about the worst insult the author could have come up with. . .
    True, but in Congress's case, the less they "accomplish", the better.

Gridlock is the only thing saving America right now.

33. Post #22

Thanks

Canadian officials fired IT firm behind troubled Obamacare website

BY RICHARD POLLOCK | OCTOBER 10, 2013 AT 1:05 PM

Canadian provincial health officials last year fired the parent company of CGI Federal, the prime...Canadian provincial health officials last year fired the parent company of CGI Federal, the prime contractor for the problem-plaguedObamacare health exchange websites, the Washington Examiner has learned.

CGI Federal’s parent company, Montreal-based CGI Group, was officially terminated in September 2012 by an Ontario government health agency after the firm missed three years of deadlines and failed to deliver the province’s flagship online medical registry.

The online registry was supposed to be up and running by June 2011.

Officials at the U.S. government's Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services awarded six technology contracts worth $87 million to CGI Federal for Obamacare website work, according to the U.S. Government Accountability Office.

The CMS officials refused to say if federal officials knew of its parent company’s IT failure in Canada when awarding the six contracts.

CGI Federal built Obamacare’s Healthcare.gov, which went live Oct. 1 but has since experienced multiple technical problems, including crashes, refusal to load and sign-on, or to provide accurate information.

Obamacare requires all Americans to register for health care coverage no later than six months from Oct. 1. Officials in the White House and the Department of Health and Human Services, which manages Obamacare, declined to say how many people succeeded in registering through Healthcare.gov.

CGI Federal also is the prime contractor for state health exchange websites in Colorado, Vermont, Hawaii and Massachusetts. Three of those states also reported significant website glitches.

In Hawaii, health exchange officials formally apologized for the inconvenience in delays and said they did not know when the site would be available.

Only Massachusetts, which has had a state health program in operation for seven years, reported no website problems.

The IT glitches were so acute across the nation that HHS shut down the site for weekend repairs Oct. 5-6, but the problems have persisted.

In Canada, eHealth, the Ontario provincial agency, scrapped its high-profile online medical registry for diabetes sufferers and treatment providers, and cancelled CGI Group’s $46.2 million contract, on Sept. 5, 2012. The company was 14 months behind schedule when it was given notice of termination by the Ontario government agency.

In the meantime, a group of other Ontario IT companies successfully replicated the registry, rendering CGI’s project obsolete.

Because the contract terms stipulated payment only upon delivery of a satisfactory final product, the province has refused to pay CGI.

CGI has not publicly discussed the eHealth failure, but has taken legal action, including filing a defamation suit against eHealth and the Toronto Star newspaper.

CGI has received bipartisan condemnation from Ontario government officials for its failure on the registry.

“They did not meet the requirements of their contract which was faced with many layers of delays, which caused great angst among the health care providers who are trying to do their best,” France Gélinas, a member of Ontario's provincial parliament, told the Washington Examiner.

“They basically said, ‘This is not working.’ CGI is not delivering what we need,” Gélinas said. Gélinas also serves as a health policy spokeswoman for the NDP, an opposition Canadian political party.

An official who requested anonymity said the CGI-eHealth controversy mainly stemmed from CGI’s failure to deliver its product on schedule.

“It basically boiled down to missed deadlines,” said the official, who requested anonymity. “CGI was contracted to build the diabetes registry in the province. They weren’t able to fulfill that commitment, and they weren’t able to meet guidelines to have a product up and running that physicians can use. It dragged on and on.”

“It was becoming an issue for the government in the sense that it was a prominent initiative of the government. Delay was causing some consternation and frustration,” the official said.

Nine thousand medical providers now use alternative online registries for Ontario’s estimated 40,000 diabetes patients. The province has certified 13 IT vendors, a number of which have sold and are maintaining the registries instead of CGI.

At the time, the Ontario health minister, Deb Matthews, told Canadian news organizations she was “enormously disappointed” by the CGI failure.

“They (CGI) were so late in delivering it, that our EMR (electronic medical records) providers here in the province expanded the scope and utility of their product and just rendered CGI’s technology irrelevant,” the source said.

Gélinas agreed. “The diabetes registry was conceived in concept almost four years ago. It may have had utility, had they been able to meet their deadlines. But what happened was that they just didn’t. The project dragged on,” she said.

CGI declined to comment on the eHealth controversy. Linda Odorisio, vice president for CGI’s global communications, said in an email that “discussions to resolve the issues between eHealth and CGI are ongoing. Both parties are bound by confidentiality agreements and we will not comment on the specifics of the matter while proceedings are underway.”

http://washingtonexaminer.com/canadian-officials-fired-it-firm-behind-troubled-obamacare-website/article/2537101

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phideaux For This Useful Post:

Brio (10-13-2013), Irons (10-11-2013)

35. Post #23

Deep Sixed
    Thanks

Just keeps getting better doesn't it? . . .

A little kiss for the socialists, your frickin' super genius hero's at work..............

36. Post #24

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irons View Post
    Just keeps getting better doesn't it? . . .

A little kiss for the socialists, your frickin' super genius hero's at work..............
    Yeah, and we ain't seen nuttin' yet.

37. Post #25

Thanks

$634 million for this fiasco?

"Officials at HHS' Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services oversaw the construction and operation of the website, and much of the work was conducted by contractors."

And who were these contractors, that don't seem to know the basics of HTML programming? Could they be Affirmative Action hires? Maybe a few with Chicago area zip codes?

Yes, nothing but the best for the american taxpayers. $634 million worth of the best.

Eventually, of course, this will get straightened out, once they are forced to bring in reputable contractors and spend another half billion or so cleaning up, or entirely re-writing the code left by Barry's Boys. Then, fed.gov will announce victory on the white house web site, while taking a swipe at all the detractors that claimed it was a mess.

I really despise everything about this administration.
    Repeal Obama

38. Post #26

Gold Member+
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 840 Posts

Lookit all the money pushed into the economy...
    Lookit all the pain inflicted on the citizenry...
    2 birds, one stone.

39. Post #27

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Good. I hope no one comes and fix it. Screw this Obamacare.

40. Post #28

Thanks
    Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,714 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
    Maybe it's part of the plan, diversion from this deepening scandal:

White House, IRS exchanged confidential taxpayer info

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/09/wh...taxpayer-info/
    Or maybe this is Oblahblah's version of a bail-in, blame the hackers for the theft of the old lady's $75k. I put nothing past this admin.
    The meaning of Life is to give Life meaning.

41. Post #29

Thanks
    Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,714 Posts

Canadian officials fired IT firm behind troubled Obamacare website
    And these are the IT people behind Obamacare it just gets worse and worse. So glad Americans recognize what a slip-shod, back-assed, haywire, incompetent gong show this un-ACA is.
    The meaning of Life is to give Life meaning.

42. Post #30

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 897 Posts

Setting up a national web site for 150 million visitors is the same as simulating a national DDOS attack.

In vexillum of angelus quod liberi ... nos vadum reperio fidelis

43. Post #31

Thanks

Tech experts: Health exchange site needs total overhaul

Kelly Kennedy, USA TODAY5:36 p.m. EDT October 17, 2013

(Photo: Jose Luis Magana, AP)

WASHINGTON — The federal health care exchange was built using 10-year-old technology that may require constant fixes and updates for the next six months and the eventual overhaul of the entire system, technology experts told USA TODAY.

The site could be perfect, but if the systems from which it draws data are not up to speed, it doesn't matter, said John Engates, chief technology officer at Rackspace, a cloud computer service provider.

"It is a core problem in the sense of it's fundamental to this thing actually working, but it's not necessarily a problem that the people who wrote HealthCare.gov can get to," Engates said. "Even if they had a perfect system, it still won't work."

Recent changes have made the exchanges easier to use, but they still require clearing the computer's cache several times, stopping a pop-up blocker, talking to people via Web chat who suggest waiting until the server is not busy, opening links in new windows and clicking on every available possibility on a page in the hopes of not receiving an error message. With those changes, it took one hour to navigate the HealthCare.gov enrollment process Wednesday.

Those steps shouldn't be necessary, experts said.

"I have never seen a website — in the last five years — require you to delete the cache in an effort to resolve errors," said Dan Schuyler, a director at Leavitt Partners, a health care group by former Health and Human Services secretary Mike Leavitt. "This is a very early Web 1.0 type of fix."

"The application could be fundamentally flawed," said Jeff Kim, president of CDNetworks, a content-delivery network. "They may be using 1990s technology in 2.0 world."

Outsiders acknowledged they can't see the whole system, but they said they feared HHS built a system that will need an expensive overhaul that would cause more headaches for people trying to buy insurance.

"I will be the first to tell you that the website launch was rockier than we wanted it to be,'' HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said Wednesday at Cincinnati State Technical and Community College, adding that people have until Dec. 15 to enroll to ensure coverage beginning Jan. 1.

HHS officials did not respond to a request about the nature of the problems. However, they reiterated that wait times have been reduced or even eliminated as they continue to work to fix the system. As of Thursday, the site had received 17 million unique visitors.

"We continue to work around the clock to improve the consumer experience on HealthCare.gov," HHS spokeswoman Joanne Peters said. "We are seeing progress: wait times to begin the online process have been virtually eliminated, and more consumers are creating accounts, completing applications and ultimately enrolling in coverage if they choose to do so at this time. However, we will not stop addressing issues and improving the system until the doors to HealthCare.gov are wide open."

Engates said HHS has been opaque about the problems, and the tech industry doesn't know the extent of the issues. "There's no secrets leaking out," he said. "I'm sure everyone's looking for something to change the direction of the conversation, but it's just not there."

"I think it's a data problem," Kim said. "It always comes down to that."

And if that's the case, the problems are beyond "rocky," he said. Instead, it would require a "fundamental re-architecture." In the meantime, "I think they're just trying to shore up as quickly as possible. They don't have time to start from scratch."

"If I was them, and I'm just conjecturing, I would probably come up with some manual way of saying, 'Only people with the last name starting with 'A' can sign up today," he said.

But come March 31, when the first enrollment period ends, the "shore up" period may become a "re-architecting" period, Kim said.

On a good note, he said, after looking at available code, the site is "very secure."

Clearing the cache, which has helped make it easier for some people to enroll, could ultimately strain the system more, Kim said. That's because a "cookie" is stored on a person's computer that contains data, such as the person's name and address, that can then be quickly accessed when that person gets on the website again instead of having to be retrieved from the government's server.

But as HHS fixes errors, the cookies may not correspond with the updated website, so rather than allowing someone to quickly log in, they instead cause an error message. And every time a person clears his computer's cache, the government's website has to work that much harder to grab more data.

Requiring people who may not be Web savvy to use the site in any way other than a step-by-step easy process defeats the point of the whole system, Schuyler said. That includes laws mandating that insurers provide clear explanations about policies to people may make sound decisions and understand what they're buying.
    "Most consumers will have no idea what 'clearing the cache' is and this will just cause more confusion and frustration," he said.

So far, the site's problems have not driven away potential customers, according to a poll conducted by uSamp — United Sample Inc. The survey found that among the 832 people who attempted to log in, 38% received an error message, 50% were asked to try again later, 25% were unable to create an account, 31% were told the system was down, and 19% had no problems. About 83% said they would try again later, while 15% said they would wait until they heard the website was working well. About 70% of those who said they had no issues said they still waited to enroll because they want to think about their options.

Engates said he believes most of the problems are caused by systems integration with other sites, such as the IRS. And that could be causing some of the problems people see as they make it past the initial application process. It's a series of questions meant to verify a person's identity and income. But after that questionnaire, visitors often encounter a series of error messages, or the page a person tries to click to doesn't come up. The data requests to other sites could be causing those problems, Engates said, which would mean the problem isn't with the HHS site itself.

"Maybe the site is submitting a request for more data, and that puts you in that trap again," he said. "It's a giant integration problem that they have to solve."

And as they try to fix those problems, there's another issue lurking in the background: Some HHS personnel were named essential, and not subject to furloughs because of the government shutdown. But that didn't apply to the other organizations they were working with, Engates said. So as HHS techs work around the clock to fix the problems, IRS techs may be prohibited from working at all.

In the meantime, HHS personnel can't say anything about the situation, it can be played politically as "bad," he said. If they say it will take two weeks to fix, they will be criticized because it's taking too long. But he expects that it's a problem that will be resolved soon, especially as the volume of visitors goes down.

"If you can get the system below some sort of threshold, it will perform as it's supposed to," Engates said. "It won't get any worse. It's going to get better little by little by little."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/17/health-exchange-week-three-start-over/2995989/

44. Post #32

Thanks

Healthcare.gov Had 4-6 Days of Final Testing

by JOHN SEXTON 17 Oct 2013, 3:44 PM PDT POST A COMMENT
    SHARE THIS:193

Today has been a data dump of bad news on the Obamacare exchange website. The latest is word from an unnamed contractor with knowledge of the project who tells the Examiner that the site got 4-6 days of final testing:

Federal officials were “freezing requirements in time to permit full testing at all levels of the site — integration testing, user testing, performance testing and tuning,” the individual said.
    “Normally a system this size would need 4-6 months of testing and performance tuning, not 4-6 days,” the individual said.

The source said there were “ever-changing, conflicting and exceedingly late project directions. The actual system requirements for Oct. 1 were changing up until the week before,” the individual said.

Last week I wrote at length about the troubled state based exchange in Nevada. That site also had one week for final testing. I noted at the time "representatives from the federal government told Nevada officials in early September that their state of readiness was about average." Apparently, Nevada was at almost exactly the same point as the federal exchange when it came to testing.

There is no way that any responsible IT professional thought the site was ready for launch. It was, according to the NY Times, only 70 percent complete. Who will be held accountable for this massive government failure?

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013/10/17/Report-Healthcare-gov-Had-4-6-Days-of-Final-Testing

45. Post #33

Thanks

Obamacare Website Violates Licensing Agreement for Copyrighted Software

Company to pursue action against HHS for using copyrighted web script.

2:06 PM, OCT 17, 2013 • BY JERYL BIER

Healthcare.gov, the federal government's Obamacare website, has been under heavy criticism from friend and foe alike during its first two weeks of open enrollment. Repeated errors and delays have prevented many users from even establishing an account, and outside web designers have roundly panned the structure and coding of the site as amateurish and sloppy. The latest indication of the haphazard way in which Healthcare.gov was developed is the uncredited use of a copyrighted web script for a data function used by the site, a violation of the licensing agreement for the software.

The script in question is called DataTables, a very long and complex piece of website software used for formatting and presenting data. DataTables was developed by a British company called SpryMedia which licenses the open-source software freely to anyone who complies with the licensing agreement. A note at the bottom of the DataTables.net website says: "DataTables designed and created by SpryMedia © 2008-2013." The company explains the license for using the software on that website [emphasis added]:

DataTables is free, open source software that you can download and use for whatever purpose you wish, on any and as many sites you want. It is free for you to use! DataTables is available under two licenses: GPL v2 license or a BSD (3-point) license, with which you must comply (to do this, basically keep the copyright notices in the software).

The software, a version of which is available at DataTables.net, contains the copyright notice in the opening lines of the code:
    At the Healthcare.gov website, however, the opening lines of the script appear as follows, with the copyright and all references to the author and SpryMedia deleted; a search of the entire script does not turn up the missing lines either:
    Even a cursory comparison of the two scripts removes any doubt that the source for the script used at Healthcare.gov is indeed the SpryMedia script. The Healthcare.gov version even retained easily identifiable comments by the script's author, such as the following:
    Here is a screen capture from the SpryMedia script:
    Here is the same section at Healthcare.gov:
    THE WEEKLY STANDARD contacted SpryMedia for comment. A representative for the company said that they were "extremely disappointed" to see the copyright information missing and will be pursuing it further with the Department of Health and Human Services, the agency that runs the Healthcare.gov site.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...re_763666.html
    Last edited by Goldhedge; 10-17-2013 at 11:42 PM.

46. Post #34

Gold Member+
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,540 Times in 866 Posts

Jail them all.

From the looks of this (no, I haven't been on it) it was designed in an afternoon; probably while toking doobies with cute freaks that might put out if the alleged web designers bought the next bag. For this we (that's right; you and I and all other taxpayers, present and future) paid three quarters of a BILLION dollars?

EVERY one in the decision tree, from the White House to the clown who took delivery on this kludge, belongs in prison for life.

47. Post #35

Modal Operator/Moderator Goldhedge's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,969 Times in 6,869 Posts

As bad as MSFT is, they could have hired them to create the database and it would have run a whole lot better.

Stealing the code no less? Plagiarists!

This is the Solyndra of database design....
    "...a Republic, if you can keep it!" Ben Franklin

Derivatives are contracts whose value is derived from stocks, bonds, loans, currencies and
    commodities, or linked to specific events such as changes in interest rates or the weather.

"Money is the future idea of value." Armstrong

"Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance." Sun Tzu
    Be the change you want to see in the world. Gandhi

48. Post #36

Thanks
    Thanked 4,522 Times in 1,959 Posts

I want to see that crudely layered birth certificate again.

49. Post #37

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goldhedge View Post
    This is the Solyndra of database design....
    More like the Titanic.

Or the Hindenberg

Last edited by phideaux; 10-18-2013 at 09:38 AM.

50. Post #38

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unca Walt View Post
    I want to see that crudely layered birth certificate again.
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa...-long-form.pdf

51. Post #39

Thanks

QWAK,Now we know what happens when they give ACORN people a blank check and let them design the ObamaCare web sight!

the DUCK
    "ALL is ONE" What we DO to and FOR others we DO "TO and FOR" our selves ultimitly!

People SELDOM look for TRUTH! What they look for is CONFERMATION that what they have chosen to believe IS TRUTH! This is why people will believe almost ANY THING and also WHY the WORLD is SO MESSED UP!

I AM, the DUCK

52. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GOLD DUCK For This Useful Post:

Irons (10-18-2013), JustPassinThru (10-19-2013)

53. Post #40

Thanks

The hits just keep on coming. ObombaCare is the laughing stock of the IT world. It should be taken out behind the barn and put out of the taxpayers' misery. And at least 100 people should be fired.

Tech experts: Health exchange site needs total overhaul

Kelly Kennedy, USA TODAY5:36 p.m. EDT October 17, 2013

(Photo: Jose Luis Magana, AP)

WASHINGTON — The federal health care exchange was built using 10-year-old technology that may require constant fixes and updates for the next six months and the eventual overhaul of the entire system, technology experts told USA TODAY.

The site could be perfect, but if the systems from which it draws data are not up to speed, it doesn't matter, said John Engates, chief technology officer at Rackspace, a cloud computer service provider.

"It is a core problem in the sense of it's fundamental to this thing actually working, but it's not necessarily a problem that the people who wrote HealthCare.gov can get to," Engates said. "Even if they had a perfect system, it still won't work."

Recent changes have made the exchanges easier to use, but they still require clearing the computer's cache several times, stopping a pop-up blocker, talking to people via Web chat who suggest waiting until the server is not busy, opening links in new windows and clicking on every available possibility on a page in the hopes of not receiving an error message. With those changes, it took one hour to navigate the HealthCare.gov enrollment process Wednesday.

Those steps shouldn't be necessary, experts said.

"I have never seen a website — in the last five years — require you to delete the cache in an effort to resolve errors," said Dan Schuyler, a director at Leavitt Partners, a health care group by former Health and Human Services secretary Mike Leavitt. "This is a very early Web 1.0 type of fix."

"The application could be fundamentally flawed," said Jeff Kim, president of CDNetworks, a content-delivery network. "They may be using 1990s technology in 2.0 world."

Outsiders acknowledged they can't see the whole system, but they said they feared HHS built a system that will need an expensive overhaul that would cause more headaches for people trying to buy insurance.

"I will be the first to tell you that the website launch was rockier than we wanted it to be,'' HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said Wednesday at Cincinnati State Technical and Community College, adding that people have until Dec. 15 to enroll to ensure coverage beginning Jan. 1.

HHS officials did not respond to a request about the nature of the problems. However, they reiterated that wait times have been reduced or even eliminated as they continue to work to fix the system. As of Thursday, the site had received 17 million unique visitors.

"We continue to work around the clock to improve the consumer experience on HealthCare.gov," HHS spokeswoman Joanne Peters said. "We are seeing progress: wait times to begin the online process have been virtually eliminated, and more consumers are creating accounts, completing applications and ultimately enrolling in coverage if they choose to do so at this time. However, we will not stop addressing issues and improving the system until the doors to HealthCare.gov are wide open."

Engates said HHS has been opaque about the problems, and the tech industry doesn't know the extent of the issues. "There's no secrets leaking out," he said. "I'm sure everyone's looking for something to change the direction of the conversation, but it's just not there."

"I think it's a data problem," Kim said. "It always comes down to that."

And if that's the case, the problems are beyond "rocky," he said. Instead, it would require a "fundamental re-architecture." In the meantime, "I think they're just trying to shore up as quickly as possible. They don't have time to start from scratch."

"If I was them, and I'm just conjecturing, I would probably come up with some manual way of saying, 'Only people with the last name starting with 'A' can sign up today," he said.

But come March 31, when the first enrollment period ends, the "shore up" period may become a "re-architecting" period, Kim said.

On a good note, he said, after looking at available code, the site is "very secure."

Clearing the cache, which has helped make it easier for some people to enroll, could ultimately strain the system more, Kim said. That's because a "cookie" is stored on a person's computer that contains data, such as the person's name and address, that can then be quickly accessed when that person gets on the website again instead of having to be retrieved from the government's server.

But as HHS fixes errors, the cookies may not correspond with the updated website, so rather than allowing someone to quickly log in, they instead cause an error message. And every time a person clears his computer's cache, the government's website has to work that much harder to grab more data.

Requiring people who may not be Web savvy to use the site in any way other than a step-by-step easy process defeats the point of the whole system, Schuyler said. That includes laws mandating that insurers provide clear explanations about policies to people may make sound decisions and understand what they're buying.
    "Most consumers will have no idea what 'clearing the cache' is and this will just cause more confusion and frustration," he said.

So far, the site's problems have not driven away potential customers, according to a poll conducted by uSamp — United Sample Inc. The survey found that among the 832 people who attempted to log in, 38% received an error message, 50% were asked to try again later, 25% were unable to create an account, 31% were told the system was down, and 19% had no problems. About 83% said they would try again later, while 15% said they would wait until they heard the website was working well. About 70% of those who said they had no issues said they still waited to enroll because they want to think about their options.

Engates said he believes most of the problems are caused by systems integration with other sites, such as the IRS. And that could be causing some of the problems people see as they make it past the initial application process. It's a series of questions meant to verify a person's identity and income. But after that questionnaire, visitors often encounter a series of error messages, or the page a person tries to click to doesn't come up. The data requests to other sites could be causing those problems, Engates said, which would mean the problem isn't with the HHS site itself.

"Maybe the site is submitting a request for more data, and that puts you in that trap again," he said. "It's a giant integration problem that they have to solve."

And as they try to fix those problems, there's another issue lurking in the background: Some HHS personnel were named essential, and not subject to furloughs because of the government shutdown. But that didn't apply to the other organizations they were working with, Engates said. So as HHS techs work around the clock to fix the problems, IRS techs may be prohibited from working at all.

In the meantime, HHS personnel can't say anything about the situation, it can be played politically as "bad," he said. If they say it will take two weeks to fix, they will be criticized because it's taking too long. But he expects that it's a problem that will be resolved soon, especially as the volume of visitors goes down.

"If you can get the system below some sort of threshold, it will perform as it's supposed to," Engates said. "It won't get any worse. It's going to get better little by little by little."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/17/health-exchange-week-three-start-over/2995989/

54. Post #41

Thanks

QWAK,As in all government programs the stated purpose is NOT its true intended purpose!

ObamaCare is about gathering information and increasing tax revenue!

the DUCK

I AM, the DUCK

55. The Following User Says Thank You to GOLD DUCK For This Useful Post:

phideaux (10-19-2013)

56. Post #42

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GOLD DUCK View Post
    ObamaCare is about gathering information and increasing tax revenue!

the DUCK
    And creating tens of thousands of highly paid Goobermint jobs for otherwise unemployable bureaucraps, 90% of whom will vote Democrap to ensure their job security.

57. The Following User Says Thank You to phideaux For This Useful Post:

GOLD DUCK (10-19-2013)

58. Post #43

Thanks

And creating tens of thousands of highly paid Goobermint jobs for otherwise unemployable bureaucraps, 90% of whom will vote Democrap to ensure their job security.
    QWAK,phideaux,Other than WAR it is the only real way the government can actualy create jobs!

the DUCK

I AM, the DUCK

59. Post #44

Thanks

More from McAfee, with Alex Jones