Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: New Air Force Cargo Planes Fly Straight Into Mothballs

1. Post #1

Thanks
    Thanked 13,024 Times in 5,880 Posts

Default New Air Force Cargo Planes Fly Straight Into Mothballs

New Air Force cargo planes fly straight into mothballs

Published October 07, 2013

There's nothing wrong with the C-27J, it's just that the Pentagon doesn't want it given budget constraints.

The Pentagon is sending $50 million cargo planes straight from the assembly line to mothballs because it has no use for them, yet it still hasn’t stopped ordering the aircraft, according to a report.

A dozen nearly new Italian-built C-27J Spartans have been shipped to an Air Force facility in Arizona dubbed “the boneyard,” and five more currently under construction are likely headed for the same fate, according to an investigation by the Dayton Daily News. The Air Force has spent $567 million on 21 of the planes since 2007, according to purchasing officials at Dayton’s Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. Of those, 16 have been delivered – with almost all sent directly to Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Tucson, where some 4,400 aircraft and 13 aerospace vehicles, with a total value of more than $35 billion, sit unused.

The C-27J has the unique capability of taking off and landing on crude runways, Ethan Rosenkranz, national security analyst at the Project on Government Oversight, told the newspaper. But with sequestration dictating Pentagon cuts, the planes were deemed a luxury it couldn't afford.

“When they start discarding these programs, it's wasteful,” he said.

The planes are built by Rome-based Alenia Aermacchi, under what was initially a $2 billion contract, though that was scaled back.

Local politics appear to have played a role in the planes continued manufacture, according to the newspaper. Ohio's senators, Democrat Sherrod Brown and Republican Rob Portman, were both defenders of the C-27J when 800 jobs and a mission at Mansfield Air National Guard Base depended on it. Brown urged the military in a 2011 letter to purchase up to 42 of the aircraft, saying too few planes "will weaken our national and homeland defense." Congress pulled the plug on the broader expenditure.

But canceling orders for planes already being built is not feasible -- even if they are not needed, according to Air Force spokesman Darryl Mayer.

"They are too near completion for a termination to be cost effective and other government agencies have requested the aircraft," Mayer told the paper.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/07...nto-mothballs/
    Always Take Things For What They're Worth & DYODD

2. Post #2

Thanks
    Thanked 8,939 Times in 3,570 Posts

Default Re: New Air Force Cargo Planes Fly Straight Into Mothballs

and other government agencies have requested the aircraft,"
    and who might these 'other govt agencies' be?

3. Post #3

Thanks
    Thanked 15,842 Times in 7,420 Posts

A dozen nearly new Italian-built C-27J Spartans
    And WTF is the US Goobermint doing buying planes made in Italy?

I recently drove by that AFB in Tucson where all the "surplus" planes are parked.. It is an absolutely mind-boggling site. it's not like this base and the planes parked in the middle of nowhere, they are smack-dab in Tucson city limits, Block after block, dozens of square miles of planes parked, like cars at a shopping mall.

Get a clue DC! Stop buying new planes, and sell the surplus!
    Last edited by phideaux; 10-08-2013 at 07:35 AM.
    " 'The problem' is, uh, I'm the president of the United States;
    I'm not, uh, the emperor of the United States."

-- Barrack Hussein Soetoro Soebarkah Obama Shama-Lama-Ding-Dong the Magnificent! - 02/17/13

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phideaux For This Useful Post:

Scorpio (10-08-2013), searcher (10-08-2013)

5. Post #4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 673 Posts

The C-27J Spartan is a cut down C-130 that features most of the systems that are on the C-130. Unfortunately word on the tarmac is that the planes are built like your average Fix It Again Tony (Fiat) and have a history or problems (flight control system failures, etc.) The Army was initially interested in them to replace their C-23 Sherpas built by Short in the UK but the C-27Js did not live up to their hype when deployed by Air National Guard units. So the Army backed out leaving the USAF with them because of the usual government bureaucracy. Plans are now to pawn these craft off on the USCG instead of the USCG obtaining new EADS HC-144 Ocean Sentrys which cost half the amount to operate and maintain.

We should just give these dogs to some banana republic as foreign aid and be done with them.
    Last edited by oldgaranddad; 10-08-2013 at 07:56 AM. Reason: spelling
    "No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session." -- New York State Surrogate Court Judge Gideon John Tucker, Final Accounting in the Estate of A.B._, 1, Tucker (N.Y. Surrogate Court) 247, 249 (1866)

6. Post #5

Deep Sixed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,320 Times in 7,480 Posts

We're living in a freaking cartoon. . . . .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Irons For This Useful Post:

Mujahideen (10-08-2013)

8. Post #6

Thanks
    Thanked 1,936 Times in 1,245 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phideaux View Post

I recently drove by that AFB in Tucson where all the "surplus" planes are parked.. It is an absolutely mind-boggling site. it's not like this base and the planes parked in the middle of nowhere, they are smack-dab in Tucson city limits, Block after block, dozens of square miles of planes parked, like cars at a shopping mall.

I'd imagine there are a bunch of C-130's parked there. The C-130 has the record as the longest production lifetime of any aircraft, the first ones were produced in the mid-1950's!. It ain't broke and has no need of replacement, especially by an Italian aircraft.

I know there are C-141 Starlifters parked as far as the eye can see ,at that boneyard. What's wrong with them?
    "The two most common substances in the Universe are hydrogen and stupidity."

Be the Organ Grinder, not the Monkey.

A Trillion Dollars is a stack of $100 bills, 679 miles high.

9. Post #7

Thanks

He said he had to go feed his hogs.

10. Post #8

Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 680 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oldgaranddad View Post

We should just give these dogs to some banana republic as foreign aid and be done with them.
    I'm sure Homeland Security could put them to good use, maybe for moving those 2700 MRAPS they purchased around. Or shipping ammo and equipment to the different units attached to the central command.

11. 10-08-2013, 05:58 PM

Reason
    dup post

12. Post #9

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    Some municipal police forces, or college campus security units, might want to add them to their arsenals of MRAPs and tanks for future use against peaceful protesters standing up for their constitutional rights.

13. Post #10

Midas Member
    Thanks

Sell them to the Italian airforce.

14. Post #11

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,028 Times in 1,605 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    Flew ALOT in these, many remote locations, dirt runways, rock runways, blacktop runways, PSP plate runways,......
    Certain " secretive" DOS operations require these beauties, entire " programs" are dependent on them......painted grey, no N numbers, small, very small black letters just above the L 1 door, " US DOS",...... You will not see DOD using these aircraft......

15. Post #12

Midas Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ebie View Post
    Sell them to the Italian airforce.
    That's who we bought the initial ones from, they performed very well, brought out more from the boneyard ( made in the early 80's or so for the US Air Force who put theirs in the boneyard) then found they were perfect made to order for small covert operations, ( like Afghanistan, Africa, and SA).A few years ago DOD ordered more up, these. Do not worry, they will be pulled back out of the boneyard to support DOS operations abroad......they use a lot of MI 17s ,Beech 1800s , all pulled from the boneyard......we used up ALL of the boneyards Broncos......Boeing has the last two in San Antonio planning to introduce 2800 or so with glass cockpits and re engined......they make perfect light attack aircraft for hostile environments, they have ejection seats, CIA ordered up the first few prototypes.....enough said......well not really, they also ordered up a bunch of Air Tractors from Olney with hard points on the wings ( weapons mounts) ,they will not be your ordinary Ag planes......done.

16. Post #13

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,423 Posts

I believe that is Davis - Monthan AFB, back then it was open to the public. I walked a huge portion of it in 1966. It was both interesting & depressing.
    As I was leaving, lightening stuck the power pole next to my new 1966 Chevy Caprice. I thought I had been shot with a HOWITZER !!!!
    Behold the turtle, for he only makes progress, when he sticks his neck out !
    In order to put you head in the sand, you must first be on your knees !

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TAEZZAR For This Useful Post:

phideaux (10-08-2013)

18. Post #14

Midas Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    I'm sure Homeland Security could put them to good use, maybe for moving those 2700 MRAPS they purchased around. Or shipping ammo and equipment to the different units attached to the central command.
    MRAPs will not fit, and ammo is very, very heavy, not going to happen.......from memory, only about 20,000 lbs payload, enough for a small team and equipment only, short landing and take off operations......

19. Post #15

Thanks
    Thanked 15,842 Times in 7,420 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TAEZZAR View Post
    I believe that is Davis - Monthan AFB, back then it was open to the public. I walked a huge portion of it in 1966. It was both interesting & depressing.
    As I was leaving, lightening stuck the power pole next to my new 1966 Chevy Caprice. I thought I had been shot with a HOWITZER !!!!
    So there were mothballing planes back in '66??
    " 'The problem' is, uh, I'm the president of the United States;
    I'm not, uh, the emperor of the United States."

-- Barrack Hussein Soetoro Soebarkah Obama Shama-Lama-Ding-Dong the Magnificent! - 02/17/13

20. Post #16

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,423 Posts

So there were mothballing planes back in '66??
    YUP, B-52's & a lot of jet fighter's (F-86, F-89, F-........) it's been too long to give a list, but, rest assured,
    it was at least 1/2 a mile square & they were stacked alternately, to get as many as possible, in as little area as possible.

Another mothball area is out in the Mojave Desert, it is all commercial airliner's - 100's of them.
    Behold the turtle, for he only makes progress, when he sticks his neck out !
    In order to put you head in the sand, you must first be on your knees !

21. Post #17

Midas Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAEZZAR View Post
    YUP, B-52's & a lot of jet fighter's (F-86, F-89, F-........) it's been too long to give a list, but, rest assured,
    it was at least 1/2 a mile square & they were stacked alternately, to get as many as possible, in as little area as possible.

Another mothball area is out in the Mojave Desert, it is all commercial airliner's - 100's of them.
    Why mothball commercial airliners?
    Why not discard or recycle them?

22. Post #18

Midas Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ebie View Post
    Why mothball commercial airliners?
    Why not discard or recycle them?
    Why? They still operate just fine, those old three holers do not have to operate on an ETOPS program, only drawback, they are fuel guzzlers, and can be bought for a few hundred thousand instead a few hundred million....World, Omni, all pulled old DC10s out of mothballs to fly troops supplies in/ out of Iraq, Afghanistan,.....they made millions flying those contracts, more than a dozen L1011s were also put back to work......we keep many of them for that purpose, war, emergency, and give many military aircraft as military aid to poorer countries.......just sent more than 50 757's to the boneyard, and a few dozen 747's, they do not even come close to the fuel efficiency of the 777's, it is all about operating costs.....and military airlift capabilities.....civil airliners ( Craf )moved 80 percent of all the Gulf war troops.....120 plus of NW's Dc9s are headed there next....

Read up on the Civil Reserve Air Fleet, ....

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...t/1990/PJA.htm

I will add that the US Air Force is in a tight spot their C17's are falling apart and they must have serious down time for overhaul, big , big airlift capability problems , almost panic time.....the last C 17 was just delivered last month, no more....Boeing made 230 for the USAF.
    Last edited by 917601; 10-08-2013 at 10:49 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 917601 For This Useful Post:

TAEZZAR (10-09-2013)