Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: White Trash Lottery Winner Blows A Million Dollars, REAL QUICK!

1. Post #1

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 805 Posts

Default White Trash Lottery Winner Blows A Million Dollars, REAL QUICK!

This is absolutely hilarious! With the help of his Meth Head Idiot Son, Leroy Fick blows through a million bucks in less than a year. They don't say it in this episode of "Lottery Changed My Life", but both Father and son ended up in jail for drug use, and illegal fireworks possession.

"A Man's Got To Know His Limitations" Dirty Harry Callahan

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 90%RealMoney For This Useful Post:

bully the fed. (11-24-2013), Colonel Sushi (11-24-2013), lumpOgold (11-23-2013), noctis lucis caelum (11-24-2013), RichG (11-24-2013), Tinbox (11-23-2013), Usc96 (11-24-2013)

3. Post #2

Thanks
    Thanked 16,806 Times in 7,615 Posts

Default Re: White Trash Lottery Winner Blows A Million Dollars, REAL QUICK!

lol.................
    Always Take Things For What They're Worth & DYODD

4. Post #3

Thanks

Hard not to cringe, when Leroy almost ripped the oil pan off his new Camaro, as he attempted to drive off the lot!

5. Post #4

Silver Member
    Thanks

Funny how before the lottery he was living hand to mouth and using food stamps but could afford 20.00 lottery tickets.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cigarlover For This Useful Post:

ctrl-z (11-25-2013), noctis lucis caelum (11-24-2013), Publico (11-25-2013), smooth (11-23-2013), SongSungAU (11-23-2013), Thecrensh (11-23-2013)

7. Post #5

Thanks
    Thanked 4,432 Times in 1,710 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarlover View Post
    Funny how before the lottery he was living hand to mouth and using food stamps but could afford 20.00 lottery tickets.
    Before, they were just POS

Now they are POS, with bucks !
    Behold the turtle, for he only makes progress, when he sticks his neck out !
    In order to put you head in the sand, you must first be on your knees !

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TAEZZAR For This Useful Post:

lumpOgold (11-23-2013)

9. Post #6

YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE, GOOD DAY SIR!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,037 Posts

Lol, who could of foreseen them going broke? They were spending like he won 50-100 million after taxes, not a million.

10. Post #7

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 750 Posts

Not a surprise that a person playing 20 dollar scratch cards doesn't know much about finances. I have a lot of sympathy for them though, the son reminds me a lot of my father, and I think when he was younger he was probably like that. I remember hearing a story about my dad from before I was born, in which he inherited a ton of money. He just started partying and blowing it all, and it was all gone really quickly. I believe he was in the military at the time and even went AWOL because he was out partying and doing drugs and stuff. I don't know all the details, since he has never told me it himself, but it sounded pretty messed up.

Sadly things like that seem really common to people who come into a lot of money, especially from lotteries and things like that.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alric For This Useful Post:

earplugs (11-24-2013), noctis lucis caelum (11-24-2013)

12. Post #8

Silver Member noctis lucis caelum's Avatar
    Thanks

I couldn't stop laughing the whole time Jeff Fick-"That TV is an investment" LOL but it is sad.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to noctis lucis caelum For This Useful Post:

Irons (11-24-2013)

14. Post #9

Thanks

90%RealMoney,

Hillarious.

Are these guys this stupid or was this a joke?

15. Post #10

Thanks

Auburn-area lottery winner Leroy Fick charged with four firearm-related felonies

BAY CITY, MI — A Williams Township man who appeared on a national television show after winning the lottery two years ago was back on TV today, appearing via a closed-circuit channel in a Bay County courtroom for his arraignment on four felonies.

Bay County District Judge Mark E. Janer arraigned Leroy N. Fick, 60, on two counts of felony firearm and single counts of larceny of a firearm and possession of a firearm by a felon. The charge of felony firearm carries a mandatory minimum sentence of two years in prison, to be served consecutively before any other sentences.

“Your honor, I wasn’t carrying a gun on me when I went in there to get those other ones,” Fick told Janer today, disputing the felony firearm charges.

Bay County Sheriff’s deputies in March were contacted by Fick’s brother, Lorain Fick, who said he had just noticed several rifles and shotguns were missing from their mother’s house in the 3100 block of South Carter Road in Williams Township. Lorain Fick told deputies he last saw the guns in a cabinet in October and theorized Leroy was responsible for their disappearance.

Deputies interviewed Leroy Fick, who denied taking the guns. They later found out he had hocked several firearms at a Bay City pawn shop.

When deputies went back to Fick with this information, he claimed he pawned the weapons because he needed money to keep his electricity on.

Fick in June 2010 won nearly $2 million in the state’s Make Me Rich! lottery. He took a post-tax lump sum of $998,570 and appeared on an episode of the TLC program “Lottery Changed My Life,” chronicling how he and adult son Jeffery Fick were spending their wealth.

The elder Fick sparked controversy when he unapologetically admitted he continued using his Bridge Card after winning the lottery.

Fick’s actions inspired legislators to fashion a new law requiring the Michigan Lottery to notify the Department of Human Services of the name and other information of a winner of a prize of $1,000 or more. DHS is then to apply an asset test when determining eligibility of an individual for food aid, with gambling winnings factored into the asset total.

Gov. Rick Snyder signed the bills into law in April.

This is the latest of Fick’s legal woes. In January, he pleaded guilty to a felony charge of illegal possession of a prescription painkiller in Isabella County Circuit Court, for which he served 45 days in jail. Upon his release, he appeared in Bay County District Court and pleaded guilty to three counts of illegal possession of fireworks, three counts of operating a motor vehicle on a restricted license and single counts of operating a motor vehicle on a restricted license, second offense, allowing an unlicensed person to drive and driving 97 mph in a 55 mph zone.

Judge Dawn A. Klida gave Fick credit for time served, but also placed him on probation, which he is still on.

By the time he pleaded in Isabella County, Fick had squandered his fortune and was living what his attorney John Wilson described as a hand-to-mouth existence. Fick spent his winnings on building a new house, a brand new Chevrolet Camaro, large amounts of fireworks and ill-advised investments recommended to him by his relatives and friends, Wilson said.

Jeffery Fick, now 32, likewise found himself in trouble with the law. Though he fashioned himself a retired gambler turned entrepreneur following his father’s luck with the lottery, the younger Fick was caught by police driving a stolen car on Aug. 2. Fick pleaded guilty to unlawfully driving away a motor vehicle and was sentenced to 180 days in jail. He is on probation until Oct. 31, 2014.

Fick today said he is unemployed, his source of income being an annuity that pays off once a month. He asked Janer to appoint an attorney to his case.

http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/i...inner_ler.html

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 90%RealMoney For This Useful Post:

searcher (11-24-2013)

17. Post #11

Getting Acclimated Prospector
    Thanks

The son Jeff is one hell of a financial advisor, eh?

18. Post #12

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bh02 View Post
    The son Jeff is one hell of a financial advisor, eh?
    For sure. Somehow convinced Dad that he needed to pay $80.00 a night for a motel room, to store all of those "Valuable" collectibles in. I love the supposed 5 star restaurant. The son says "We need to learn how to eat at these kinds of restaurants, because we'll be eating at places like this from now on"! It's like, they thought no matter how much money they spent, they would always have that oringinal "Nut" of 900 grand still sitting in the bank. I don't think the Dad realized when he bought the Camaro, that he just spent 5-6% of his winnings! This is the same scenario that plays out over and over with Lottery winners. Throw some meth use in, and look out!

19. Post #13

GIM Statesman
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,938 Times in 1,522 Posts

the first you do after winning that much mulla is set aside at least 100 G'S to buy yo azz out of the foreseeable coming pitfalls.
    IF YA CANT DAZZLE THEM WITH BRILLIANCE BAFFLE THEM WITH BULLsh!t.

20. Post #14

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tinbox View Post
    Lol, who could of foreseen them going broke? They were spending like he won 50-100 million after taxes, not a million.
    Saw an episode of this show 4 years or so ago. Another white trash candidate. This guy was a greasy, mullet wearing scrode. Anyway, he wins like 40 million bucks after taxes, and goes on a buying spree, much like these Idiots. He has a huge house in Florida, that looks like Tony Montana's mansion in Scarface. he's got all the velour crap, stone pilasters, the knife collection, swords, etc. Anyway, the Dude buys his own used Lear Jet for like 1.5 million. I'm sure he wasn't thinking about maintenence fees, costs of a flight crew, fuel, hanger space, etc. Not to mention the fact that you need to be a BILLIONAIRE, before you can afford your own jet! The Dude blew it all, had his house re-possessed, etc. What a zero!

21. Post #15

Silver Member
    Thanks

I would have spent it in an hr or less. Hello Apmex. I need 1 box of AGE's and 37 boxes ASE's. Then I take a boat ride with one of you non boat driving mofo's on this site that cant seem to make a rubber duck float and bam, my stuff is swimmin with da fishes and my money is all gone.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cigarlover For This Useful Post:

bh02 (11-25-2013), GOLDZILLA (11-29-2013)

23. Post #16

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner wiper's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah really. that was pretty difficult to watch. i even ended up stopping it with a minute or so left while they were in the restaurant.

i remember thinking, hell, they're gonna blow through the 900k DURING THE 14 MINUTE EPISODE. ugh

whatever, i mean, that's their right i suppose.

my wife and i are both non-union teachers. 990k would pay off our house and cars, and provide some pretty nice vacations over the next 40 years or so. i'm sure we'd each buy a toy or two, but we wouldn't move and we'd obviously continue to work.

like i said, instead of myrtle beach in july, it'd be maui every year.

just give me a chance to prove i'd still have at least 6 digits' worth leftover in 40 years. lol

would my furniture be nicer? sure. would i have a (mid-sized) suv instead of a 2009 g-6? sure. would my coin collection be worth more when i will it to any children we may eventually have? absolutely.

but those two...yeah, that was hard to watch.

"what i really would like to get is this (and at this point, i'm DYING to know what he's gonna say).....sword right here".

hahahahhaaaaa
    If you're really a gold bug, you don't trust the system. That's why you're a gold bug.

24. Post #17

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner The_Head's Avatar
    Thanks

I couldn't watch the whole video. It's too sad, knowing what happens to him. I could also feel myself getting dumber listening to his kid. It also sucked that the gubmint took over 50% of his check in taxes right off the top. He should of gotten an annuity.
    GIM2 Buck Private

25. Post #18

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 522 Posts

The first thing i woulda ask ole pop's for woulda been some upper front teeth.....please daddy!!?
    Last edited by stonedywankanobe; 11-24-2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: spell check

26. Post #19

Thanks

There was a guy in our bowling league who won a 7-figure lottery payoff. He said everyone around him became insane. Like, they couldn't understand why he still bowled...millionaires aren't supposed to bowl..unless they take a limo to the bowling alley. They actually thought this way. They couldn't understand why he didn't have a chauffeur and all the other trappings.

27. Post #20

GIM Statesman
    Thanks

the lotto is for building schools..... they had a good time on 1/2 of what they won fck it . lotto's misrepresented you win 2 mil ya should get 2 mil everything's a tax . it was better when the mob ran it.

28. Post #21

Silver Art Bar collector Silver Art's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 995 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ToBeSelfEvident View Post
    There was a guy in our bowling league who won a 7-figure lottery payoff. He said everyone around him became insane. Like, they couldn't understand why he still bowled...millionaires aren't supposed to bowl..unless they take a limo to the bowling alley. They actually thought this way. They couldn't understand why he didn't have a chauffeur and all the other trappings.
    There seems to be this misconception that a person who wins millions of dollars from the lottery (or is a self-made millionaire) has to "act" (i.e. spend) like a millionaire. I think that this person you mentioned in your post is the example of a person that is described in the book called "Millionaire Next Door".
    Last edited by Silver Art; 11-24-2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added words
    ATTENTION! Read this very carefully: My gut feeling on silver is just that.......A gut feeling. I have absolutely nothing to back it up with.

DISCLAIMER: I am a silver art bar "hoor" but I am not really a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.

When I am not at work earning FRN's, I am at home earning Bitcoin. When I am sleeping, I am earning a Bitcoin dividend from Prypto.

I am the poster that is formally known as OutlawJoseyWalesJr on GIM1.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Art For This Useful Post:

JFN111 (11-28-2013)

30. Post #22

Thanks

When your "Financial Advisor" needs front teeth, and wears a gold medallion...

31. Post #23

Deep Sixed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,328 Times in 7,482 Posts

I would act exactly the same way until all of my relatives thought I was broke. One can rent fancy shlt you know.

32. Post #24

Thanks

That was awful. The dad didn't seem so bad, just a little stupid, amd in need of a good barber to get rid of that mullet. The son on the other hand, a 31 year old retired "collectibles" dealer, was a complete fool? WTF?

33. Post #25

Gold Member+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 90%RealMoney View Post
    This is absolutely hilarious! With the help of his Meth Head Idiot Son, Leroy Fick blows through a million bucks in less than a year. They don't say it in this episode of "Lottery Changed My Life", but both Father and son ended up in jail for drug use, and illegal fireworks possession.

funny how they joke about having illegal fireworks on tv, then actually get busted for them. lol

34. Post #26

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Usc96 View Post
    That was awful. The dad didn't seem so bad, just a little stupid, amd in need of a good barber to get rid of that mullet. The son on the other hand, a 31 year old retired "collectibles" dealer, was a complete fool? WTF?
    Yeah, he was only retired, and a collectibles "dealer", because of Dad's short lived wealth. When that was gone, he apparently went back to dealing what he was before! As in the video: "ROCK ON DAD"! Yeah, Dad was just a little naive, didn't seem like a bad guy.

35. Post #27

Thanks
    Thanked 1,419 Times in 809 Posts

A million dollars...ain't what it used to be.

It's twenty years of $50,000 annual salary. Which ain't a king's ransom either.

It's a nice chunk of money; but it doesn't enable you to play, party, piss away.

Leroy was 60, according to linked news writeups. At age 60, he could easily have made it last his life. Clean clothes, a nice place...hell, he could even have bought the home.

And a car. I have a new car, too; paid cash for it. Cost me $14,500. Japanese model. I expect to be able to drive it until I can't drive anymore; and I'm younger than Leroy.

He could have made it; made it even without working (which he appears unable to do, by virtue of shockingly-low IQ). But the chance is gone; gone like that money he paid for a stupid car intended for a kid with no sense. Like his OWN kid, dumber than he is, even.

But he won't get another chance.

36. Post #28

Midas Member
    Thanks

Movie stars and sport players fall into that sort of trap at times as well. Given his age and the fact he probably didn't have anything for retirement at all, he should of probably stuck the entire amount into some kind of retirement account and been thankful that he caught up for retirement savings at the last minute.

A million dollars isn't even all that much for an entire life's saving for retirement. He was acting like he was a millionaire but he didn't even have one million.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Alric For This Useful Post:

GOLDZILLA (11-29-2013)

38. Post #29

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner Toxa's Avatar
    Thanks

I could only watch 3 minutes of that video. Holy chit balls those fockers are ignorant, especial the methhaead son. "Financial adviser"......, 65 inch tv is an investment? Hahahaha no wonder dumb focks are back on a street.
    I really hope that there are people out there who win some cash and dont go blow it in a year!

39. Post #30

Silver Member
    Thanks

This just goes to show that money cannot result in intelligence nor the ability to manage said money responsibly. Idiots will be idiots, either poor or wealthy.

40. Post #31

Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 844 Posts

I'd pay off that last debt and buy a bit of land someplace nice and quiet and do a bit of fishing. A good used truck would be in order.

I wouldn't tell a soul that I had won anything.

And I sure wouldn't go on TeeVee.

I might buy a new pair of jeans, and a couple of shirts, and a decent pair of boots.
    The Gin Bottle is a charting hack. Listen to it at your own risk.

DYODD and GLTA

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silver Buck For This Useful Post:

GOLDZILLA (11-29-2013), JustPassinThru (11-24-2013), Ragnarok (11-25-2013)

42. Post #32

Thanks

That is EXACTLY how I'd do it.

That money...COULD have represented FREEDOM. Guy like that, would be happiest in a cabin in the outback, anyway. Not even so far away...plenty of places in the U.P. that are welcoming and cheap to live in and a whole 'nuther world.

Nope. He listened to his tweaking idiot son...which makes him as big an idiot, only better-able to hide it. Money pissed away. Wonder what happened to all his expensive "collectibles" in that motel room? And...EIGHTY DOLLARS A NIGHT? He couldn't even think to ask for a monthly rate?

But no. By pulling back, enjoying the sunrise and fresh sausage on the wood-stove...he could have had a life perfectly suited. Instead he's got jail and Foo Stams.

43. Post #33

Midas Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Buck View Post
    I'd pay off that last debt and buy a bit of land someplace nice and quiet and do a bit of fishing. A good used truck would be in order.

I wouldn't tell a soul that I had won anything.

And I sure wouldn't go on TeeVee.

I might buy a new pair of jeans, and a couple of shirts, and a decent pair of boots.
    You are probably not playing 20 dollar scratch cards though are you? Most people who would spend the money wisely, would never win these sort of things because they would never enter.

44. Post #34

GIM Statesman
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alric View Post
    Movie stars and sport players fall into that sort of trap at times as well. Given his age and the fact he probably didn't have anything for retirement at all, he should of probably stuck the entire amount into some kind of retirement account and been thankful that he caught up for retirement savings at the last minute.

A million dollars isn't even all that much for an entire life's saving for retirement. He was acting like he was a millionaire but he didn't even have one million.
    actually he won 2 million but the lotto is honestly a joke just like the system n' if y'all ask me he looked like he was enjoying the half the state give him. wonder how the states doing with all the money they collect ? tally up the daily take in just Michigan the lotto draws n' I'll guarantee ya you'd drop your jaw ! once a intake of cash for the mob its been expended into a legit govt income far in excess of a few tickets they sell scratch off to power ball, mid day to night drawings with a new game added on a regular basis often! a million dollars used to be big money n' perhaps he blew it quick? but after all it was his to do whatever . "calculate the states take first" n' don't worrie how he spent his winnings . we all have different objectives .. woulda shoulda coulda. at least he enjoyed his n' found out the same thing I did five star dives that dont give you real butter fer yer bread n' expensive wine is not always worth it.

45. Post #35

Midas Member
    Thanks

Probably the first thing he should of done was hire a lawyer and start finding tax loopholes to jump through. I know there is enough that he could of probably saved a ton of money.

46. Post #36

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alric View Post
    Probably the first thing he should of done was hire a lawyer and start finding tax loopholes to jump through. I know there is enough that he could of probably saved a ton of money.
    Not really, not with a lump-sum. Money is taxed and that, as they say, is that.

His biggest "tax loophole" would have been to take the payout in annual payments. That's one reason why his jackpot was smaller; the option is to take a smaller amount in a lump-sum or take an annuity. Normally I'd say take the money and run, but when you're losing HALF of it in penalties or taxes - even with Wiemar-style hyperinflation coming, he'd have been better off to get a check every year.

And this would never have happened. He'd be living, not large, but well...not broke and not jailed.

47. Post #37

GIM Statesman
    Thanks

ahaaa yes the difference between legal n' Illegal

48. Post #38

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Well the guy made it to sixty years of age then he just hit a little bump in the road. Now it's back to the status quo. Problem solved!
    How many of you could solve such a complex problem in such a short period of time?

49. The Following User Says Thank You to xhomerx10 For This Useful Post:

WhyKnow (11-26-2013)

50. Post #39

Gold Member+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    Not really, not with a lump-sum. Money is taxed and that, as they say, is that.

His biggest "tax loophole" would have been to take the payout in annual payments. That's one reason why his jackpot was smaller; the option is to take a smaller amount in a lump-sum or take an annuity. Normally I'd say take the money and run, but when you're losing HALF of it in penalties or taxes - even with Wiemar-style hyperinflation coming, he'd have been better off to get a check every year.

And this would never have happened. He'd be living, not large, but well...not broke and not jailed.
    correct...

51. Post #40

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus GOLDZILLA's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,507 Posts

I can honestly say that had I won that money, a year later, I would have at least doubled it.
    I'm a jeenyus, and i approve this massage.

52. Post #41

Found a silver nugget Prospector
    Thanks

And......it's gone!!!!

53. The Following User Says Thank You to whiskey tango foxtrot For This Useful Post:

Irons (11-28-2013)

54. Post #42

Thanks

Yet another textbook example of why wealth distribution schemes could never work. In time everyone, whether an eater or the host, will regress to their means (pun intended) or conversely, progress to their means. It usually doesn't take very long.

Poor people just do poor things.

55. Post #43

Thanks

You can't have a lifestyle inflation due to increase in salary and or winning the lottery.. It's why rich people have the same money problems as poor people they just buy more and bigger stuff.

56. Post #44

Deep Sixed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,328 Times in 7,482 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDZILLA View Post
    I can honestly say that had I won that money, a year later, I would have at least doubled it.
    I would spend a 100k of it just making sure everybody knew without a doubt I blew all of it.

57. The Following User Says Thank You to Irons For This Useful Post:

GOLDZILLA (11-29-2013)

58. Post #45

Thanks
    Thanked 2,092 Times in 1,018 Posts

I don't feel one bit sorry for these guys. I feel sorry for us. We were buying him those lottery tickets. $20 in your pockets? Get a lottery ticket. Don't have to worry about using it on FOOD because Joe Scmoe taxpayer is taking care of that for me. The mentality just sickens me. "I have plenty of cash for booze, drugs, and lottery tickets but no money available for the necessities of life, so please redistribute your wealth to provide for my basic needs in life."

Some lawmaker has got to step up and write a law that says any person who wins the lottery has to first pay back (tax free) any public aid benefits they've received before getting a payout. Of course it will never happen, simply because if those buying lottery tickets knew they'd have to pay back all of their benefits, they'd stop buying. And then the lottery would go broke because those who work for a living don't buy that crap.
    Gold and Silver aren't the only metals that preserve wealth. I also have a large supply of Brass and Lead.
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum."

59. The Following User Says Thank You to samwiii For This Useful Post:

latemetal (11-28-2013)

60. Post #46

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Art View Post
    There seems to be this misconception that a person who wins millions of dollars from the lottery (or is a self-made millionaire) has to "act" (i.e. spend) like a millionaire. I think that this person you mentioned in your post is the example of a person that is described in the book called "Millionaire Next Door".
    That was one of the first books I read when I was starting out in investing. The perception people have when they see the Dr or Lawyer driving the fancy car and living in the big house vs the old guy who lives modestly, owned a local business and started saving and investing at a young age.
    "Nothing just happens in politics. If something happens you can be sure it was planned that way." ~ President Franklin D. Roosevelt