Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Where do billionaires and millionaires keep their money?

1. Post #1

Silver Member noctis lucis caelum's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Where do billionaires and millionaires keep their money?

Would Bill Gates or Carlos Slim be able to go to the bank and just withdraw a billion? How do people define what they are worth if not all their money is in the bank?

Edit: Followup question, if you own $100 Million in a lottery and took the lump sum, where would you put that money? The people who have billions already have a plan when they invest their money, but what about a person who suddenly has allot of money to put in his standard bank account?
    or do they put it in sneaky offshore bank accounts to avoid taxes.

I understand that there are stock markets, and money market funds, etc, but where do most millionaires have their millions?

Do they have, for example, a bank account with millions in it? Like, they go to Bank of America, and withdraw $300.00 from their $10 million dollar account?

Do they have it in the stock market? If so, then what do they do if they sell some stocks? Where does that "real money" end up?

Do you understand what I'm getting at?

I'm asking because I think I'm missing something when it seems like a bad idea to have alot of money in a bank. $100,000.00 and no more is FDIC insured. And it also seems somewhat silly to have all the liquid (?) assets tied up in stocks.

I do understand that some rich people buy homes, expensive cars, and other (mostly) appreciating assets. I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about what happens with the rest of their money.
    Last edited by noctis lucis caelum; 01-06-2014 at 02:20 AM.
    "I have had men watching you for a long time and When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter, I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves." - Andrew Jackson

2. Post #2

Getting Acclimated Prospector freud198's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Where do billionaires and millionaires keep their money?

Cayman islands......

3. Post #3

Thanks

In a vault within their home.

http://www.goldismoney2.com/attachme...1&d=1388995305
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails money-bin.jpg  

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rcpb2000 For This Useful Post:

specsaregood (01-06-2014)

5. Post #4

Gold Member+
    Thanks

Most of it is in digital money and investments.

I did have a former client of ours order huge amounts of physical FRNs and physical gold during the bank meltdown/scare. He eventually did deposit the FRNs back into his bank accounts. Not sure if he cashed out on his gold though.

So if you're not aware, you really can order up pallets in physical FRNs from the fed. But they'll make you pay for the service. Both to get the cash in your paws, and to deposit it back into the system.

6. Post #5

Thanks

Sadly, tis not likely I'll ever need this information...
    You better keep on truckin...or a bus is gonna run over your ass...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to latemetal For This Useful Post:

Ragnarok (01-06-2014), TAEZZAR (01-06-2014)

8. Post #6

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rcpb2000 View Post
    i actually believe more wealthy,not billionaires, are "holding" their assets. i bought a liberty safe couple years ago, to me it was huge, but he he had some ft knox safes that were massive.seller said he sells to a lot suburban types. he told me a guy bought 3 of them. i believe they were priced around 5k. unfortunately for me,most of my money is in my pocket

9. Post #7

Thanks

I just keep my in my savings account.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99million-atm-receipt.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	53411
    "Nothing just happens in politics. If something happens you can be sure it was planned that way." ~ President Franklin D. Roosevelt

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JFN111 For This Useful Post:

BUILT TO LAST (01-07-2014)

11. Post #8

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 672 Posts

Treasuries...

12. Post #9

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by platinumdude View Post
    Treasuries...
    Yup.

If you are extremely wealthy, your relationship with your bankers are different and requires a much different perspective than the average Joe. For liquidity purposes besides holding some FRNs the bulk of their cash holdings are Treasuries.

For one, most extremely wealthy people own their banks so they are in fact part of the payment system, therefore their preferred method of trust among themselves is by holding and pledging u.s. treasuries.

Next, for liquidity they have several lines of credit with different banks and currencies. Next is their broker accounts in securities and commodities. And then the physical assets from real estate to precious metals.

13. Post #10

Deep Sixed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,329 Times in 7,482 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JFN111 View Post
    I just keep my in my savings account.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99million-atm-receipt.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	53411

So I take it you are buying lunch?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Irons For This Useful Post:

JFN111 (01-06-2014)

15. Post #11

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irons View Post

So I take it you are buying lunch?
    I can probably spring for lunch but I'm still pissed off about the $2.75 ATM fee.
    "Nothing just happens in politics. If something happens you can be sure it was planned that way." ~ President Franklin D. Roosevelt

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFN111 For This Useful Post:

GOLDBRIX (01-06-2014), Irons (01-06-2014)

17. Post #12

Silver Member
    Thanks

Most of the rich that I know........... I don't know any billionairs...........

1. They have no debt.
    2. The income off of conservative investments is more than they need / spend / live off of in a year so they have growth.
    3. They structure their lives to pay as littel tax as possible.
    4. Most remind you of "The Millionaire Next Door". Jeans & an older car....... do a few things but pretty much live simple, low profile, lives.

18. Post #13

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,669 Times in 2,858 Posts

There a big difference between someone who has a net worth of one million and a billionaire. Inflation is such that at this point in time, a millionaire is just upper middle class.
    -------------------------------
    Words can be used to convey information and words can be used to prevent information from being conveyed

In a corrupt society, the truth can be found in what is forbidden to say

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hoarder For This Useful Post:

Argentsum (01-06-2014), GOLDBRIX (01-06-2014), historyrepete (01-06-2014), JFN111 (01-06-2014), TAEZZAR (01-06-2014), WhyKnow (01-06-2014)

20. Post #14

North Texas, USA, North America, Planet Earth
    Thanks

to be considered 'old money' it has to have been in the family a MINIMUM of three generations and GENERALLY at least 100 million dollars

guy I know IS third generation, but has less than 50 million so he is not considered old money

as far as I know, most of his money is in Swiss accounts with some diversification in other locations - I think he did mention the Cayman Islands, but I could be mistaken

He lives off the interest of his accounts - the funny part is he makes great money in the oil/gas markets and rarely touches his accounts

I guess when you have it and don't need to worry about it you eventually find out what you can do to make more money and do that...

I'll never have that problem - just too old to care about it any more
    A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

21. Post #15

Thanks
    Thanked 5,134 Times in 2,836 Posts

they also build GIANT houses in fla, other states that protect it from confiscation
    "Only a FOOL would let his enemy teach his children" Malcom X

“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” John Adams

22. Post #16

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,669 Times in 2,858 Posts

The OP question calls for some clarification. No one with enough sense to amass much wealth stores that wealth in the form of "money", other than maybe a few hundred thousand in liquid accounts for present day use. A "millionaire" is someone with a net worth that could be liquidated at a million dollars, not someone who has a million dollars in the bank.
    That said, the OP question could either mean where do billionaires bank or where do billionaires store their wealth?
    -------------------------------
    Words can be used to convey information and words can be used to prevent information from being conveyed

In a corrupt society, the truth can be found in what is forbidden to say

23. Post #17

Thanks
    Thanked 2,101 Times in 1,334 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rcpb2000 View Post
    A depiction of Iron's basement, no doubt!
    "The two most common substances in the Universe are hydrogen and stupidity."

Be the Organ Grinder, not the Monkey.

A Trillion Dollars is a stack of $100 bills, 679 miles high.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Argentium For This Useful Post:

Rcpb2000 (01-06-2014)

25. Post #18

Deep Sixed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,329 Times in 7,482 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Argentium View Post
    A depiction of Iron's basement, no doubt!
    Huh? Did you say something?

Attachment 53452

26. Post #19

Thanks

I don't know..
    but what I've seen is.
    a friend at a real estate auction, instead of writing a check for a deposit, wrote one for price of the property he'd just won with high bid of $200,000.

an old couple dressed in "farmer type" wrinkled clothing at a brokerage office where everyone there looked down at them.. walking slowly, dressed poorly, driving a 10 year old dented up buick. he was retired P.E. and ww2 army air corps veteran. broker helping them was only person that gave them any respect. account there was over 2million.

a plantation went to auction. large life insurance company went to winning bidder to offer to do the financing.. man already owned one plantation nearby.
    winning bidder wrote check for total price ( just under 20 million) with comment "that you shouldn't be bidding if you don't have the money to pay for it"

commercial real estate builder had a multi thousand acre "ranch" in another state 2,000 miles away. I asked him if he had a plane. answer "no. they are very expensive. you would need a xxx model to do it right. and you need 10million liquid to properly do that... so I took it, he was multimillionaire, but not liquid 10million.

many large farms in my rural area have been "in the family" for generations. values can run millions.. 2000 acres and up x 3 to 5000 per acre are owned debt free.
    so these folks have farm asset of 5million and up. but may not be liquid but for a million or two.

large farmowner (20,000 acres+) got farm because of a series of marriages over 4 generations... interesting fact is that all new owners respected land and didn't go crazy with all the money. in fact each generation added to the farm. local bank needed more liquidity... they got a loan from farm owner of millions in cash, that bank paid off.

privacy is important to some of these folks... a large farm will be sold over a cup of coffee or other beverage... no one ever knew that the seller was interested in selling...
    5million to 15 million $ properties... no loans involved.

in above examples, several of these folks are major stockholders/directors in local banks.

multimillionaire and large land owner went to local business, driving his old pickup truck dressed as usual, khakis and brogans and work shirt. age 75. wanted to purchase a 10000$
    item... handed secretary an aluminum foil wrapped package that was very cold.... she smiled at farmer. she already knew the answer of where did this come from as he had done this before... he keeps frns wrapped in aluminum foil at bottom of his freezer. he had no children.. nieces and nephews got his farm and land and rental houses and cash...
    some got a lot... some got a little... some who thought they would be getting big inheritance got -0- he was a smart man...

coca cola stock was sold by a lot of banks a hundred years ago across the southeast... in some towns there are numerous old widows (coke widows) sitting on millions of $ of coke stock that just keep growing... you wouldn't know they were multi millionaires to see most of the widows.

rr

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockriver For This Useful Post:

JFN111 (01-06-2014), Treasure Searcher (01-06-2014)

28. Post #20

Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 828 Posts

New money rich people invest in hookers & blow.

29. Post #21

Silver Member noctis lucis caelum's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoarder View Post
    The OP question calls for some clarification. No one with enough sense to amass much wealth stores that wealth in the form of "money", other than maybe a few hundred thousand in liquid accounts for present day use. A "millionaire" is someone with a net worth that could be liquidated at a million dollars, not someone who has a million dollars in the bank.
    That said, the OP question could either mean where do billionaires bank or where do billionaires store their wealth?
    I'm talking about both were do they bank it and were do they store it and who has all that money in the bank isn't there a 250,000$ limit.
    "I have had men watching you for a long time and When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter, I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves." - Andrew Jackson