Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney Gold Is Money -- Gold is Money -  The Premier Gold and Silver Forum -- Goldismoney
Welcome Guest, is this your first visit?
Register today to gain access to all of our features which include creating topics, replying back to posts, private messaging and much more!

What are you waiting for?
Already Joined?
Sign into your account now

Thread: Debt ceiling to halt tax "refunds"

1. Post #1

Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 697 Posts

Default Debt ceiling to halt tax "refunds"

Better file quickly. The IRS starts processing returns on 1/31, and it takes 2-3 weeks to process.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2...-deadline?lite

By Tom Curry, NBC News

Treasury Secretary Jack Lew told House Speaker John Boehner and other congressional leaders Wednesday that Congress must vote to increase the government’s borrowing limit before late February.

As part of the deal last year between President Barack Obama and Congress ending the government shutdown, the debt limit, which is just under $17 trillion, was temporarily suspended through Feb. 7.

Lew said that as in the past the Treasury could use certain accounting and cash management methods to push back the point at which it reaches its legal borrowing limit, but officials believe the Treasury is likely to exhaust those measures in late February.

One special timing factor, he noted, is that “the government experiences large net cash outflows in the month of February, due to tax refunds” so its cash balance will be lower than it would be at other times.

Boehner spokesman Michael Steel said that the speaker has said the federal government should not default on the debt “or even get close to it, but a ‘clean’ debt limit increase simply won’t pass in the House.” It remains to be seen what conditions House Republicans might try to impose on a debt limit increase.
    For behold, the day is coming, burning like a furnace;
    and all the arrogant and every evildoer will be chaff;
    and the day that is coming will set them ablaze
    so that it will leave them neither root nor branch.
    Without prejudice. All rights reserved

2. Post #2

Modal Operator/Moderator Goldhedge's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,587 Times in 6,314 Posts

Default Re: Debt ceiling to halt tax "refunds"

The solution is to not have any refunds. Owe them instead!
    "...a Republic, if you can keep it!" Ben Franklin

Derivatives are contracts whose value is derived from stocks, bonds, loans, currencies and
    commodities, or linked to specific events such as changes in interest rates or the weather.

"Money is the future idea of value." Armstrong

"Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance." Sun Tzu
    Be the change you want to see in the world. Gandhi

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Goldhedge For This Useful Post:

ctrl-z (01-27-2014), GOLD DUCK (01-23-2014), historyrepete (01-23-2014), Irons (01-23-2014), mtnclimberjim (01-23-2014), Nickelless (01-23-2014), phideaux (01-23-2014), Silver Buck (01-23-2014)

4. Post #3

Found a gold nugget Metal Miner
    Thanks

Most people with W2 income, cut it close enough to receive a refund of <$1000 so they don't have to pay in. Getting it down to the dollar requires frequent adjustments to their W4 and the HR department. Hard to do for the "accounting challenged".

5. Post #4

You have no soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by <SLV> View Post
    Better file quickly. The IRS starts processing returns on 1/31, and it takes 2-3 weeks to process.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2...-deadline?lite

By Tom Curry, NBC News

Treasury Secretary Jack Lew told House Speaker John Boehner and other congressional leaders Wednesday that Congress must vote to increase the government’s borrowing limit before late February.

As part of the deal last year between President Barack Obama and Congress ending the government shutdown, the debt limit, which is just under $17 trillion, was temporarily suspended through Feb. 7.

Lew said that as in the past the Treasury could use certain accounting and cash management methods to push back the point at which it reaches its legal borrowing limit, but officials believe the Treasury is likely to exhaust those measures in late February.

One special timing factor, he noted, is that “the government experiences large net cash outflows in the month of February, due to tax refunds” so its cash balance will be lower than it would be at other times.

Boehner spokesman Michael Steel said that the speaker has said the federal government should not default on the debt “or even get close to it, but a ‘clean’ debt limit increase simply won’t pass in the House.” It remains to be seen what conditions House Republicans might try to impose on a debt limit increase.
    WoW this is a trend….. Trending now is what? A disaster waiting to happen? OR what is likely? A richer America all around? MO money MO money I hear the people cry!

AW gawd…. do they know the many meanings of what they say and chant as a montra?

6. Post #5

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 840 Posts

It's not your currency. It's theirs.

Maybe you should arrange to be reimbursed for your labor with some other form of remuneration? One that doesn't require you to pay in advance for the maintenance of an illegal, foreign system that sucks the life out of you and your family?

Just a thought.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anotherdave For This Useful Post:

anywoundedduck (01-24-2014), gringott (01-23-2014), mtnclimberjim (01-23-2014), plata_oro (01-23-2014)

8. Post #6

Gold Member+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agavegirl1 View Post
    Most people with W2 income, cut it close enough to receive a refund of <$1000 so they don't have to pay in. Getting it down to the dollar requires frequent adjustments to their W4 and the HR department. Hard to do for the "accounting challenged".
    not too hard if you make a standard salary.

file 99 exemptions & use a dollar amount on the w-4. take last year's tax, divide by 24 if you're paid bi monthly.

9. Post #7

Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 697 Posts

Most tax "refunds" (tax credits) for low income workers is actually a form of "stimulus" (welfare). Zero paid in; thousands "refunded."

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Previ...ax-Law-Updates

2014 Tax Year

Earned Income and adjusted gross income (AGI) must each be less than:

$46,997 ($52,427 married filing jointly) with three or more qualifying children
    $43,756 ($49,186 married filing jointly) with two qualifying children
    $38,511 ($43,941 married filing jointly) with one qualifying child
    $14,590 ($20,020 married filing jointly) with no qualifying children

Tax Year 2014 maximum credit:

$6,143 with three or more qualifying children
    $5,460 with two qualifying children
    $3,305 with one qualifying child
    $496 with no qualifying children
    For behold, the day is coming, burning like a furnace;
    and all the arrogant and every evildoer will be chaff;
    and the day that is coming will set them ablaze
    so that it will leave them neither root nor branch.
    Without prejudice. All rights reserved

10. The Following User Says Thank You to <SLV> For This Useful Post:

EO 11110 (01-23-2014)

11. Post #8

Deep Sixed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,328 Times in 7,482 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Goldhedge View Post
    The solution is to not have any refunds. Owe them instead!
    I don't get how people don't understand this.

They aren't paying me for the privilege of holding the money I earn so give them as little as possible.

"I'm getting a tax refund, hee hee!"

No moron, you gave a thief a zero interest loan.

12. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Irons For This Useful Post:

anotherdave (01-23-2014), Argentium (01-23-2014), Aurumag (01-23-2014), birddog (01-23-2014), ctrl-z (01-27-2014), GOLDBRIX (01-24-2014), Gordon Gekko (01-23-2014), MisterNatural (01-23-2014), mtnclimberjim (01-23-2014), Nickelless (01-24-2014), phideaux (01-23-2014), Po'boy (01-23-2014), Professur (01-23-2014), Ragnarok (01-23-2014), Rcpb2000 (01-24-2014), searcher (01-23-2014), Silver Buck (01-23-2014), Trigonx (01-23-2014)

13. Post #9

Clad in Platinum Miner Has Hole In Ground Ensoniq's Avatar
    Thanks

And this is a mistake.

Yes it stings to write a tax check to the gov but upon further analysis it stings more to voluntarily give the gov an interest free 1 year loan.

The added risk that the gov may use taxpayer refunds as leverage in their effort to raise the debt ceiling should make this a no brainer decision,

I'd suggest everyone adopt the discipline to save the money they'd otherwise have withheld and take control of their finances.

14. Post #10

Deep Sixed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,328 Times in 7,482 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ensoniq View Post
    And this is a mistake.

Yes it stings to write a tax check to the gov but upon further analysis it stings more to voluntarily give the gov an interest free 1 year loan.

The added risk that the gov may use taxpayer refunds as leverage in their effort to raise the debt ceiling should make this a no brainer decision,

I'd suggest everyone adopt the discipline to save the money they'd otherwise have withheld and take control of their finances.
    Student loan defaulters and now obamacare resistors/failures will be having their "returns" taken now anyway.

Double tax on the stupid. Ain't that illegal? Hee hee.

15. Post #11

Thanks
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,361 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ensoniq View Post
    ..... gov may use taxpayer refunds as leverage in their effort to raise the debt ceiling ....
    Leverage. Fear-mongering. Subterfuge.

The debt ceiling WILL be raised in perpetuity because systemic inflation keeps the FRN wheels turning.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    Peacefully engaging in "Economic Domestic Terrorism" since 2004.

If We the People fail to independently audit Fort Knox, then how will we know the amount of Tungsten backing the FRN?

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aurumag For This Useful Post:

Ahillock (01-23-2014), Gomez (01-23-2014), Po'boy (01-23-2014)

17. Post #12

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aurumag View Post
    Leverage. Fear-mongering. Subterfuge.

The debt ceiling WILL be raised in perpetuity because systemic inflation keeps the FRN wheels turning.
    You can call it systemic inflation if you like, but the real reason is the FRN has no definition. It's whatever they say it is. And whatever we believe.

18. Post #13

Thanks

The title of this thread is nonsense - no way they are holding people's tax refunds hostage. Fear mongering.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tecumseh For This Useful Post:

gringott (01-24-2014)

20. Post #14

Midas Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,028 Times in 2,653 Posts

Havent gotten a refund in decades of any means, mostly have to pay every year, Im with those not wanting to give the Fed a interest free loan.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to southfork For This Useful Post:

Nickelless (01-24-2014)

22. Post #15

Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 687 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by <SLV> View Post
    Better file quickly.

Can't.

If the past is any guide, I won't even receive all my paperwork until late February / early March.

EDIT: my favorite is getting something well after April 15 -- like in July or something -- that says "Important Tax Document Enclosed!"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to AgBar For This Useful Post:

Rcpb2000 (01-24-2014)

24. Post #16

Thanks
    Thanked 4,694 Times in 2,613 Posts

no way this flies unless can be blamed on tea party (the biggest enemy of the red/blue party)

a good portion of the dimocraps voting base has a negative income tax rate -- they get back all they put in plus thousands more from us suckers
    "Only a FOOL would let his enemy teach his children" Malcom X

“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” John Adams

25. Post #17

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,405 Posts

Not sure that's entirely accurate. Most should; likely more don't. How often do you hear people talk about what they're going to buy "when I get my tax check"? There are an awful lot of foolish people who treat IRS refunds as an annual "bonus" and would be devastated if there wasn't any forthcoming.

26. Post #18

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irons View Post

They aren't paying me for the privilege of holding the money I earn so give them as little as possible.

I've been riding that horse for years. I've seriously been told people prefer it this way because if they keep the money themselves, they'll just spend it during the year instead of saving it for their vacation. Seriously, adults tell me that. Adults.
    And this is why I'm a monarchist ... the public is just too damn stupid to be allowed to control the country

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Professur For This Useful Post:

gringott (01-24-2014), Irons (01-23-2014)

28. Post #19

Thanks
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,315 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Professur View Post
    I've been riding that horse for years. I've seriously been told people prefer it this way because if they keep the money themselves, they'll just spend it during the year instead of saving it for their vacation. Seriously, adults tell me that. Adults.
    Incredible, but true. I'm positive that the majority of tax donators in the US, hold this opinion. I do pretty good, adjusting witholding through the year (depending on bonuses), so over the last 10 years I average paying in $200-300 at tax time (including state).
    "The two most common substances in the Universe are hydrogen and stupidity."

Be the Organ Grinder, not the Monkey.

A Trillion Dollars is a stack of $100 bills, 679 miles high.

29. Post #20

Gold Member+
    Thanks

Good thing you guys don't own a business in addition to having w-2 income. Figuring out how much you owe is harder. Taxation on schedule c income can easily be around 50%

Example:

Federal income tax: 28%
    State income tax: 8%
    Social security: 12.4%
    Medicare: 2.9%

Say you make $1000 from your business, taxes come out to:

Total $513

This doesn't take into consideration any other state/local/sales/etc taxes. Makes it wonder why us small business owners even bother... we take 100% of the risk, yet fork over 50% of the profit to the government.

30. Post #21

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ~BS View Post
    Good thing you guys don't own a business in addition to having w-2 income. Figuring out how much you owe is harder. Taxation on schedule c income can easily be around 50%

Example:

Total $513

This doesn't take into consideration any other state/local/sales/etc taxes. Makes it wonder why us small business owners even bother... we take 100% of the risk, yet fork over 50% of the profit to the government.
    Sooo, WHO makes the determination on how much taxable income you owe?

Somehow, I think it's you.

31. Post #22

Thanks
    Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,828 Posts

Example:

Total $513

- Move to WA, TX, AK, FL, NV, SD, WY, TN or NH?
    - Vote out the bums that keep raising our taxes and giving free stuff to the FSA?

I feel your hurt. I know you small business owners are getting killed under Obama. Sorry.
    The only bear market in history in which demand is rising and prices falling.

32. Post #23

Gold Member+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anotherdave View Post

Either the business owner or his accountant (if he has one) will calculate the taxable income, which of course is subject to audit from the irs.

Can be lots harder to determine how much you're going to owe versus a w-2 income since your income isn't constant and your tax rate is so high. If you project $20k income at the beginning of the year, but later realize it's going to be $50k, your tax just went from $10k to 25k or viceversa. So you better not be expecting to be able to spend/save all of that extra income because uncle sam is going to take his unfair share.

33. Post #24

Thanks
    Thanked 3,763 Times in 1,878 Posts

Example:

Total $513

This is why I sold my business years ago and never started another. The biggest partner never showed up for work.
    Serfs Up!!

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gringott For This Useful Post:

anotherdave (01-24-2014), Aurumag (01-24-2014), Irons (01-24-2014)

35. Post #25

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anotherdave View Post

As a business owner I can testify that every penny of what I pay for goods to my wholesale vendors is recorded, as well as every item I sell at retail. I wish it was as easy as you infer.
    AWD
    THERE IS NO LAW ENFORCEMENT: Criminal misconduct has become the norm for Wall Street Banksters. No laws are enforced for selling enormous supply without metal. The media reports none of this, as they are owned and controlled by the crooks. The Fiscal Cliff has long been breached, and the US Economy along with the dollar is soon to be a grease spot at the foot of this supposed Fiscal Cliff. Got Silver? Got Gold?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to anywoundedduck For This Useful Post:

Aurumag (01-24-2014)

37. Post #26

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anywoundedduck View Post
    As a business owner I can testify that every penny of what I pay for goods to my wholesale vendors is recorded, as well as every item I sell at retail. I wish it was as easy as you infer.
    AWD
    They've got their meathooks in pretty deep, don't they? Tell me, how did a country that started out forbidding direct taxation, or anything but gold or silver as payment come to this? We are starving commerce at an accelerating rate, only to buy more influence for commerce's enemies.

This "go along to get along" isn't working out very well, is it? Is it patriotic? Is it even "the law"? Maybe if we hadn't caved in to that little lie in the beginning, or agreed to their unconscionable terms of contract this wouldn't have happened. But it was the easy path, yes.

38. Post #27

Thanks
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,227 Posts

Example:

Total $513

Now lets be honest. Schedule C allows for deducting 1/2 of the SS and FICA taxes you pay so the effective rate is not 15.3%. The Standard deduction and number of exemptions you file with also applies to your Schedule C income, so 28% is not your effective rate either. If you are paying 50% you should find a new accountant/tax preparer.
    To all the alphabet soup guys and gals out there reading this post, HI!!!!

39. Post #28

Thanks

Either the business owner or his accountant (if he has one) will calculate the taxable income, which of course is subject to audit from the irs.

Can be lots harder to determine how much you're going to owe versus a w-2 income since your income isn't constant and your tax rate is so high. If you project $20k income at the beginning of the year, but later realize it's going to be $50k, your tax just went from $10k to 25k or viceversa. So you better not be expecting to be able to spend/save all of that extra income because uncle sam is going to take his unfair share.
    File quarterly, and, again, find another accountant.

40. Post #29

Thanks

As part of my job I run payroll for anywhere from 70-130 employees depending on the season. A large number of them treat tax season as a yearly bonus or a savings account that they can't touch until Feb/Mar. Only 1 person besides myself adjusts their W-4 throughout the year to minimize their return, and they are only a part-timer. Last year my wife and I got a single digit refund, but I was disappointed we didn't owe single digits. I don't get the mindset, but many do it. I suppose if you can't be responsible with your money, that is one way to save up for a big purchase, but I have little interest in giving the government a free loan.

And of course, those are the people who ask daily in January when their W-2s will be ready because they need that refund to pay down (not off) their credit card bills from Christmas. Nothing like giving the government an interest fee loan only to use it to pay part of your credit card balance costing you 1x.xx% or 2x.xx% interest. Geniuses.

Maybe there is an opportunity there. Who wants in on the GIM2 fund? We can charge a small fee on funds to hold their "would be" tax refund dollars for them until Black Friday week. Any early withdrawal would incur a large fee. No credit card interest and no waiting until Feb/Mar for their refund........

41. Post #30

Silver Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
    The title of this thread is nonsense - no way they are holding people's tax refunds hostage. Fear mongering.
    Fear mongering? Yes. But then again, they would never, ever, think of closing the White House tours for school kids, the DC Monuments for war veterans, or the National Parks either. OOOPS, they did that and much more. Inflict the most pain possible is the new mission statement in DC.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Fatboy For This Useful Post:

Irons (01-24-2014)

43. Post #31

Thanks
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,361 Posts

I allegedly "owe" the IRS so many FRNs in back taxes, that it may be decades before I ever see a refund check, so this fear-mongering debt-ceiling raising has no effect on me.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    Peacefully engaging in "Economic Domestic Terrorism" since 2004.

If We the People fail to independently audit Fort Knox, then how will we know the amount of Tungsten backing the FRN?

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Aurumag For This Useful Post:

Nickelless (01-24-2014)

45. Post #32

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aurumag View Post
    I allegedly "owe" the IRS so many FRNs in back taxes, that it may be decades before I ever see a refund check, so this fear-mongering debt-ceiling raising has no effect on me.
    Two words: Aurumag futures!

46. The Following User Says Thank You to anotherdave For This Useful Post:

Rcpb2000 (01-24-2014)

47. Post #33

Thanks

Daycare and student loan interest dissappeared this past year for me. Last year I had a refund of a few hundred, this year with higher wages and overtime, I owe both state and federal. Time to update my W4. I like to be closer to 0 +/- $200.

Forgot to mention: when your finances and expenses change, it makes it difficult to adjust your W4.

48. Post #34

Gold Member+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford View Post
    Now lets be honest. Schedule C allows for deducting 1/2 of the SS and FICA taxes you pay so the effective rate is not 15.3%. The Standard deduction and number of exemptions you file with also applies to your Schedule C income, so 28% is not your effective rate either. If you are paying 50% you should find a new accountant/tax preparer.
    My example was having a business on top of a w-2 income, therefore the lower rates & standard ded / personal exemptions were not considered. Many people have w-2 incomes, then decide to run their own small businesses. If one doesnt plan to quit a day job, only the marginal tax rates applied to the bsn income are relevant

Also that 50% calculation was just a quick estimate, but if you wish to get technical regarding the ss and fica rates, 15.3% x 50% =7.65% - multiply by the tax rate of 28% and 8%. Then add the two numbers together equals tax reduction of the amount that equals 2.7% of the 15.3% you paid.

Look at the numbers above, does it still not equal around 50% taxation? From your post, I gather you understand something of our tax system. As a business owner, I can say yhe same.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to ~BS For This Useful Post:

Usury (01-24-2014)

50. Post #35

Thanks

My example was having a business on top of a w-2 income, therefore the lower rates & standard ded / personal exemptions were not considered. Many people have w-2 incomes, then decide to run their own small businesses. If one doesnt plan to quit a day job, only the marginal tax rates applied to the bsn income are relevant

Also that 50% calculation was just a quick estimate, but if you wish to get technical regarding the ss and fica rates, 15.3% x 50% =7.65% - multiply by the tax rate of 28% and 8%. Then add the two numbers together equals tax reduction of the amount that equals 2.7% of the 15.3% you paid.

Look at the numbers above, does it still not equal around 50% taxation? From your post, I gather you understand something of our tax system. As a business owner, I can say yhe same.
    EXACTLY my thoughts....spot on.

Rusty, you ever pump **** or do something else on the side for extra income and see how you come out on taxes keeping your day job? A lot of folks quickly decide it's not worth the extra effort....which is a shame. There should be MORE reward for working harder....not less.

I have a similar situation this year.....commission job, so it's tough to get your withholding to come out exactly, even though I do adjust my W-4 throughout the year. On top of that, I just sold a property at a loss to stop the cashflow bleeding me dry and as a result am owed a sizable refund this year. This really pisses me off to think about possibly getting screwed again/more if I'm held up getting my refund.

And for those that just say they'll pay each year--there are penalties and interest accrued for underpayment of taxes. Why would I under pay my taxes and owe more--that's even worse than giving them an interest free loan.
    It might well be said that, while the free market bends over backwards to serve the needs and desires of individuals, the state merely bends individuals over backwards.

51. Post #36

YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE, GOOD DAY SIR!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,037 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Usury View Post
    EXACTLY my thoughts....spot on.

Rusty, you ever pump **** or do something else on the side for extra income and see how you come out on taxes keeping your day job? A lot of folks quickly decide it's not worth the extra effort....which is a shame. There should be MORE reward for working harder....not less.

I have a similar situation this year.....commission job, so it's tough to get your withholding to come out exactly, even though I do adjust my W-4 throughout the year. On top of that, I just sold a property at a loss to stop the cashflow bleeding me dry and as a result am owed a sizable refund this year. This really pisses me off to think about possibly getting screwed again/more if I'm held up getting my refund.

And for those that just say they'll pay each year--there are penalties and interest accrued for underpayment of taxes. Why would I under pay my taxes and owe more--that's even worse than giving them an interest free loan.
    I'm pretty sure that is incorrect, you shouldn't have any penalties as long as you pay up by April 15

52. Post #37

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tinbox View Post
    I'm pretty sure that is incorrect, you shouldn't have any penalties as long as you pay up by April 15
    I used to think that too....

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc306.html

Of course most that owe, probably owe a small amount (<$1000), so they don't trigger the penalties. However, when you are commission or have a side business, it's easy to suddenly have a much bigger tax bill than you anticipated. Especially when the asshats in Congress are not consistent on extending tax deductions or AMT treatment from year to year and usually impose a law change at the last minute--sometimes retroactively.
    It might well be said that, while the free market bends over backwards to serve the needs and desires of individuals, the state merely bends individuals over backwards.

53. The Following User Says Thank You to Usury For This Useful Post:

Tinbox (01-24-2014)

54. Post #38

Thanks

I run a lucrative side business of consulting after my daily w2 job is done. Filed the 1099s for years on sched C, which is on my 1040 which is effected by standard deduction and 4 exemptions. Marginal rate is 28%, but effective rate is closer to 10%. Switch from schedule C to sub chapter S and have all consulting pass through. Largely eliminates SE hit.

The effective rate is all that matters.

55. Post #39

Thanks

Usury is correct. You can face underpayment penalties if you are tax payments are not within a certain level on a quarterly basis.

56. Post #40

Thanks

Usury is correct. You can face underpayment penalties if you are tax payments are not within a certain level on a quarterly basis.
    That's true even if all your income is W-2 since the taxpayer elects the withholding elections on the form.

57. Post #41

Thanks

I run a lucrative side business of consulting after my daily w2 job is done. Filed the 1099s for years on sched C, which is on my 1040 which is effected by standard deduction and 4 exemptions. Marginal rate is 28%, but effective rate is closer to 10%. Switch from schedule C to sub chapter S and have all consulting pass through. Largely eliminates SE hit.

The effective rate is all that matters.
    I think the point is that your personal deductions/exemptions were likely already accounted for by offsetting part of your W-2 income. Therefore any extra income is taxed at the higher rate for your side business.

Be careful on the S-corp election. If you file claiming ALL the corp income is pass through profit but are not compensating yourself fairly for your own efforts (i.e., not paying yourself a wage subject to SE tax from the corp from some of the corp profits), then the IRS could rule that the K-1 pass through is actually disguised SE income and impose back assessments fro SE tax, penalties and interest. If your income is small (say $10K), it's probably unlikely to happen, but I've heard seen it happen. In fact, here's an article about it: http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjre...olid-strategy/. There's also the fact that this reduces your potential Social Security earnings in the future, which may or may not be relevant.

58. Post #42

Thanks

I am aware of the pass through penalty on S corps and my attorney said my compensation level is adequate. As far as SS draw???? Bwwwaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!

59. Post #43

YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE, GOOD DAY SIR!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,037 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Usury View Post
    I used to think that too....

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc306.html

Of course most that owe, probably owe a small amount (<$1000), so they don't trigger the penalties. However, when you are commission or have a side business, it's easy to suddenly have a much bigger tax bill than you anticipated. Especially when the asshats in Congress are not consistent on extending tax deductions or AMT treatment from year to year and usually impose a law change at the last minute--sometimes retroactively.
    Thanks for correcting me

60. Post #44

Thanks
    Thanked 3,168 Times in 1,537 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irons View Post

I get in one or two disagreements about this. I'm told how taxes benefit everyone, and don't I want roads to drive on and my kids educated. My simple response is
    "There were roads and hospitals and schools long before income taxes."
    Then they get angry, lol.
    The meaning of Life is to give Life meaning.

61. The Following User Says Thank You to Brio For This Useful Post:

Irons (01-25-2014)

62. Post #45

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brio View Post
    I get in one or two disagreements about this. I'm told how taxes benefit everyone, and don't I want roads to drive on and my kids educated. My simple response is
    "There were roads and hospitals and schools long before income taxes."
    Then they get angry, lol.
    Just asking, how were they funded??? Cash flow had to come from somewhere.

63. Post #46

Thanks
    Thanked 3,168 Times in 1,537 Posts

Just asking, how were they funded??? Cash flow had to come from somewhere.
    That's a good question and I don't know the answer but let me try. Commerce.
    The meaning of Life is to give Life meaning.

64. Post #47

Thanks

Not justifying income taxes, but the money that is spent supporting commerce comes out of the same pocket/billfold/purse that pays taxes. Yours and mine. We were still paying the commerce taxes. Business were just collecting them. Problem is (in my state anyway), most of the "commerce tax" tax revenue has been done away with (inventory taxes, personal business property taxes etc) and replaced with income taxes. Funny thing was, commercial prices never fell with the elmination of those commerce taxes. So consumer gets double dipped. NICE!!