1. Tuesday on Tap, showing some initial weakness in metals as it takes a breather from yesterday. The dollar had a rally yesterday that fizzled with no follow thru this am that may lend addn'l support. Oil is rebounding back above $30 and trying to hold above that, but it seems as though there are some determined sellers who keep attempting to put it under.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Need more resources for the Industry Links. Have some guns/ammo, preps, pm dealers, and charts, but need more to make it a go to resource and replace bookmarks. Please send me a conversation with your ideas for others we should add. TIA. Together we will make it a great resource.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 2/6/16 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1157.7 Up 41.30-- Silver $14.80 Up 56 ct-- Oil $30.89 DOWN 2.73-- USD $97.05 DOWN 2.60-- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE $1232.39 (1), SAE $18.46 (20)
  4. Please use the following for log on: www.goldismoney2.com We have moved to a new server. Please reset bookmark accordingly
  5. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

10k American high school class rings

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by Wolverine, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Wolverine

Wolverine Banned

I have a typical American mens 10k gold high school class ring from the 80's that's been collecting dust since about 88 (I'm old) and was wondering if anyone knows about how much gold is in this thing?

2. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

3. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Mother Lode

I got $130 for mine last winter, bought a 1/10 sunshine round with the $$.

4. Somesilver

Somesilver Seeker

10 karat is about 41% Gold. You need to weigh it...usually they also have some sort of stone, but I don't think that can account for
    more than 10% of the total weight. Example...total weight 20 grams, less 10% for stone, youve got 18 grams of 10 karat. 41% of 18 grams
    yields 7.5 grams of pure Gold. 7.5 grams is about 24% of a Troy Ounce (31.1 grams). With Gold at $1600, 7.5 grams is worth about $387.
    Fly by nite dealer might offer you $180 to $200. Solid dealer would probably pay $325 to $350 (spot less around 10%)

5. Wolverine

Wolverine Banned

Thanks for the info guys.

6. still afloat

still afloat Seeker Seeker

All the class rings I've worked on or scrapped had a solid shank but the top was hollow , it was then filled with a epoxy or plaster type filler and the stone then set .When sizing one I had to invert the ring in water to dissipate the heat and keep from loosening the stone.When scrapping one the owner took a hammer and smashed the top dumping out the stone and filler before sending them off, he got a higher return for the rings cleaned of the stones and filler.
    So not as much metal as most expect there to be . Cant remember what the ratio was to figure the weight that we used when buying as scrap but was pretty low that was in '99 .