1. Good Monday Morning, Gold holding some residual strength and at 1173 this am, while silver remains tucked under 15 at 14.94. US Dollar is gaining some traction again this am, now at 97.24, while oil is seeing selling and is at 30.12, down .77 and threatening to drop below 30 once again. Bonds again are catching a bid while US Stocks are showing all red prior to the open.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Need more resources for the Industry Links. Have some guns/ammo, preps, pm dealers, and charts, but need more to make it a go to resource and replace bookmarks. Please send me a conversation with your ideas for others we should add. TIA. Together we will make it a great resource.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 2/6/16 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1157.7 Up 41.30-- Silver $14.80 Up 56 ct-- Oil $30.89 DOWN 2.73-- USD $97.05 DOWN 2.60-- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE $1232.39 (1), SAE $18.46 (20)
  4. Please use the following for log on: www.goldismoney2.com We have moved to a new server. Please reset bookmark accordingly
  5. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

2011 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by Rcpb2000, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Rcpb2000

Rcpb2000 Silver Member Silver Miner

Still searching for info on the sale dates but just can't find anything. The urge to splurge on more silver is killing me!

Talked to a few people about purchasing "with" me. Now I just wait......:stupido3::flute:

I'm sure the mint is waiting for silver to go back up so that they can sell the coins, but the end of October is nearing and still no word.

HistoryStudent and PhucilliJerry like this.
  2. earplugs

earplugs Gold Member Gold Chaser

cortes said it would be oct 27

Rcpb2000 likes this.
  3. Oldmansmith

Oldmansmith Midas Member Midas Member

Environmentl Consultant
    I have the 25th written in my agenda from someone's post here.

Rcpb2000 likes this.
  4. Rcpb2000

Mint must have read my mind. They go on sale October 27th!

Solo likes this.
  5. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

Upcoming releases:

10/18/2011 America the Beautiful Quarters Three-Coin Set™ - Vicksburg
    10/25/2011 2011 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coins™ – Glacier National Park
    10/27/2011 American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Set
    11/14/2011 America the Beautiful Quarters Bags and Two-Roll Set - Chickasaw (OK)
    11/17/2011 James Garfield $1 Coin Rolls
    11/22/2011 2011 America the Beautiful Quarters™ Circulating Coin Set
    11/29/2011 2011 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coins™ – Olympic National Park
    12/01/2011 First Spouse Series One-Half Ounce Gold Coin - Lucretia Garfield
    12/01/2011 Lucretia Garfield Bronze Medal 1-5/16"
    12/01/2011 First Spouse Bronze Four-Medal Set
    12/20/2011 America the Beautiful Quarters Three-Coin Set™ - Chickasaw
    12/22/2011 2011 United States Mint Presidential $1 Coin & First Spouse Medal Set™ - James Garfield
    12/29/2011 James Garfield $1 Coin Cover
    TBD 2011 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coins™ – Vicksburg National Military Park
    TBD 2011 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coins™ – Chickasaw National Recreation Area

RoadKing, southfork and Oldmansmith like this.
  6. oninismo

oninismo Seeker Seeker

I've never ordered from the mint before. Is the earliest that they can be ordered at noon on October 27th?

7. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

12:00 eastern is the norm... I would recommend you sign up and get your account early, then you can be logged on ready to go when they go live..... :)

oninismo likes this.
  8. Silver Dragon

Silver Dragon New Member

Making Money
    Alright! It's about time they made the date official.

9. hernancortes

hernancortes Gold Member Gold Chaser

Zielinski, the gent who runs mintnewsblog, is saying big shipping delays til end of Nov. will be the rule for this set, which I believe could bode well for the mint sticking to the 100K mintage number and not going over that as Dave Harper implied they might. Assuming the mint adheres to the 100k number in the intital run I do not see them assembling more sets to sell into December.

10. Chester-Copperpot

Chester-Copperpot Gold Member Site Supporter Gold Chaser

How many coins are included in this set, and what price do you think they will sell for?

11. Solo

Click here to read more about this 5 coin set

As for price no one knows for certain but it seems most are speculating $300 - $350. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it's on the lower end of that range :)

12. oninismo

oninismo Seeker Seeker

So if the set sells like crazy the first week, what incentive is there for the mint to keep the restriction?

13. Foxwoods Man

Foxwoods Man Silver Member Silver Miner

How about this price:

2011 American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Set (A25) Price: $229.95

Vickievail, charlie1023 and Rcpb2000 like this.
  14. drpiranha

drpiranha Seeker Seeker

I have a feeling I'm alone in my thoughts, but I'll express them anyway. I buy things for their uniqueness. Price appreciation is definitely secondary, because I have no intent to sell when I buy something. I have complete sets to date of the Lunar 2's, Britannia's, Pandas, ASE's, US Mint Proof and Silver Proof Sets. I also put together things for custom displays for myself like a gold set with 1oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz and 1/10 oz, a gold set with an Eagle, Buffalo, and St Gaudens, and a 1 oz silver set featuring coins from different countries. I'm also collecting the Canadian coins with the Swarovski Crystals and the Canadian Wildlife series and Australian Endangered Species series as well as other unique coins. I buy things because I enjoy looking at them, not for their potential resale value.

I would have been interested if they packaged a silver proof with a gold proof, but 5 silver coins with the same design (when i already have a complete set from inception) selling for $100 more than a Mint 5oz ATB puck?
    I really don't see the fascination. Can someone please explain why this is a "must have".

Milt

15. Oldmansmith

Oldmansmith Midas Member Midas Member

Environmentl Consultant

Th 20th anniversary set contained a reverse proof; a most beautiful coin. My only regret was only buying one of them. I think the total mintage was like 300,000, and they tripled in value within a year or two.

This set will also include a reverse proof, but you are right. Please don't buy any so there will be more for me :)

16. hernancortes

The unc-S in this set will be a pretty strong coin, unless the mint decides to strike more of them individually or as part of other sets. It would be best for us if they kept this as a unique coin for this set's issue and don't get any bright ideas for next year or the year after. It's value should definitely surpass the '08 rev. of '07 at the very least.

Oldmansmith likes this.
  17. Foxwoods Man

A few points:

The "S" mint marked coin, AND the RP will definitely be the keys IF the mintage is restricted...The Mint page presently does NOT mention mintage limits which is a bad thing...

As weird as it sounds getting the 25th Anniversary label on the graded sets will make a BIG difference in value. An MS 70 2006 W goes for less that $100 while a MS 70 20th Anniversary label (same coin) goes for $600-1000

The 08/07 had a mintage of around 47,000....these will have an attractive but much higher mintage. I can't see the "S" being more valuable than the 08/07

18. hernancortes

My feeling is that assuming the 100K mintage holds the unc-s will surpass the 08/07 because there are very likely many more date/mintmark collectors than there are variety collectors/completists and the 08/07 variety is not all that interesting... the differences in the reverse design are fairly minute.

19. Rcpb2000

20. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

21. earplugs

earplugs Gold Member Gold Chaser

he has a mail date of october, but I thought the mint was going to send them out in november.

22. Rcpb2000

Somewhere there he says that item will ship 30 days after item is received. The craziest part is that someone already bought 2 from him. That covers all five sets I believe.:banghead:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  23. Foxwoods Man

24. ChoiceBU

ChoiceBU Silver Member Silver Miner

As to grading sets or coins in sets, will there be a tendency for people to split up the sets to grade the two key coins or more likely send in all 5 coins for completed sets with the 25th Anniversary label? I would like to have one set graded but after sending in ATB's and getting mixed grades, it seems unlikely all 5 will grade same.

25. Solo

When it comes to stamping ASE's the mint seems to have it down to a science so I'm not as worried about the percent received with visible scratching like the ATB's. I guess the question I have is if I send in 5, 10, 15, or more sets will the graders mix and match between sets in the event you want them in one slab? While it's true that at least 50% or more of graded ASE's get a 70, the chances of receiving five perfect coins in one set is just over 3% if you have a 50% chance of a 70 on each coin. If they grade a perfect 70 even seventy-five percent of the time the odds of five perfect coins in one set is only 24%. I guess at this point someone simply needs to e-mail/call NGC/PCGS and find out if they're going to offer a 5 coin slab and if so will they mix and match :cool:. ...After thinking about it for a minute or two though I'm starting to wonder if anyone would really want all 5 slabbed together. Storage for silver is an issue for me (so I can only imagine what's it like for collectors with money:p) so I would prefer 5 coins in the normal slabs.

Of course all of this is for not if we can't get through to the mint in time to order. Considering how long it took me to order that Hot Springs 'P' puck the day it went on sale I'm expecting these to be nothing short of a nightmare.

:cool:

ChoiceBU likes this.
  26. rodzm

rodzm Gold Member Gold Chaser

Medic
    And guys one thing to remember is...you better have the moolah to grade the 5 sets as it will run you a total of $14 + $18 (if you want the coveted and much wanted First Strike designation) per coin plus shipping and handling. Here ia breakdown on how much it can cost to grade 5 sets:

$14 (grading fee) + $18 (First Strike designation)= $32 per coin

$32 x 25 coins= $800

$800 + $29.95 (shipping) + $8 (handling)= $837.95

But PCGS is having a quarterly special of grade 5 for the price of 4 so it will come out to $640 + $90 (First Strike designation for the "free" grading coins) + $29.95 +$8= $767.95

Dont forget that you will also be paying to ship them the coins so you might as well budget for $800 worth in grading fees.

Have fun for those who want to do that. I may just have to do one submission every other month to even afford that, which means I will have to keep the mint box sealed

ChoiceBU likes this.
  27. ChoiceBU

This may have already been answered, but if you order multiple sets, are they in separate boxes and considered sealed for later grading purposes or just all in one sealed box? Who would take a chance to get back through to order 5 times?!

28. rodzm

Medic
    Multiple sets will be sent in one box. You must place separate orders if you want them separated. My plan is to get 2 on one order (Those I will keep in OGP) and the rest can go in one box. Ill send those out to get graded and hope for 70s. Hell Ill probably leave them all sealed and slowly ship them out to get graded. So long as they are post dated beofre the First Strike cutoff Ill be good to go.

29. lightcycler

lightcycler Silver Member Silver Miner

Does any one know about bulk submissions? Would it be 100 sets? or 20 sets, 100 coins?

30. rodzm

Medic
    Bulk submission is 100 coins

31. ChoiceBU

Yeah, I can see maybe placing an order for 2 to keep OGP, then trying to get another order in for some to grade. I wonder if the 25th Anniversary designation has a cut off like First Strike?

32. rodzm

Medic
    Me thinks that there will be a special label for this set and that there will be a cutoff specifically for the set, which means that if you want the specific label you must leave your coins in sealed mint packaging since technically once you open the mint box there is absolutely no way you can tell some of the coins came specifically from the 25th Anniversary set or not.

Or perhaps PCGS will not differentiate these 25th Anniversary coins from other ones of this year. If that happens then the 2 coins specific to the set will be ones to get graded as opposed to an entire set. you can then acquire the proofs and the other ones on the side and make a perfect 70 set without breaking the bank.

The homerun for this set will be if PCGS or NGC decide to make a distinct label for this set as opposed to a generic 25th Anniversary label. Think about it...there will be only 100,000 bullion coins with the distinct label if they decide to make that

ChoiceBU likes this.
  33. ChoiceBU

I went to the PCGS website and found this for the 20th Anniversary, so probably would apply to 25th (I'd think anyway).

"Some sets of coins released from the mint came in a special 20th anniversary presentation box. PCGS offers a 20th anniversary designation for coins that meet the necessary qualifications. This usually means coming in the sealed, unopened package from the U.S mint. This usually is the only way the PCGS receiving department can verify that these truly are the coins included in the special set and not substituted with the same type of coins from a different release date.

There currently is no additional cost for the 20th Anniversary designation. They only have to meet the following requirements:

20th Anniversary Sets:

First Strike designation for 2006-W 3pc Gold 20th Anniversary and 2pc Mint State Silver & Gold 20th Anniversary sets:

To get the 20th Anniversary First Strike designation, the sets must come to PCGS sealed in the original government boxes they were shipped in.
    The box must be unopened.
    The shipment date on the shipping label must be October 24th or earlier to also receive First Strike designation.
    If the sets or loose coins arrive in open boxes, the only coin to receive the 20th Anniversary would be the Reverse Proof as this coin is currently only offered in the 3pc set. The other 2 coins are available in other sets or individually. (This is subject to change if the government decides to offer the Reverse Proof individually at a later date.)

First Strike designation for 2006-W 3pc Silver 20th Anniversary sets:

To get the 20th Anniversary First Strike designation, the sets must come to PCGS sealed in the original government boxes they were shipped in.
    The box must be unopened.
    The shipment date on the shipping label must be October 24th or earlier to also receive First Strike designation.
    The only coin to qualify for 20th Anniversary if the box has been opened is the Reverse Proof since this coin currently is only offered as part of the 3pc set. The other 2 coins are available in other sets or individually. (This is subject to change if the government decides to offer the Reverse Proof individually at a later date."

Solo and rodzm like this.
  34. rodzm

Medic
    there is a problem...PCGS has been grading coins this year with a designation of 25th Anniversary so unless they change that to specifically say 25th Anniversary Set then there is no reason to spend tons of money grading the sets. Take them out and submit the 2 unique coins and buy the rest separate. Im sure they have thought about that already so i expect there to be a special label for these to distinguish them from already graded 25th Anniversary coins

35. Solo

No doubt about that rodzm ;). If there is one thing you can count on at this point it's that the graders will give us a silly label anytime they can if it means more money for them. Who can blame them though?

I've thought about that too. If I'm able to buy as many sets as I have the funds for then there's simply no way I'll be able to afford having them all graded. I plan on spending every last dime buying sets so I may have to sell a kidney for the grading fees :p. I'll worry about the grading problem later though as I honestly believe I won't be able to secure as many sets as I would like to start with.

To each their own, but if you actually get through I personally believe you should buy all five instantly. You have to ask yourself if splitting your shipment is worth risking the very real possibility of not getting an additional order in. While I agree with the logic of splitting your order up, personally I'm not going to risk it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  36. ChoiceBU

I'm a bit tapped out too with the last purchase of dragons, so I'll probably get 2 sets of these on first order, then if I get back through, purchase a set to grade. If not, I can send in one of the 2 on the first order for grading. I don't have much luck with flipping, so it will be to have sets to hold.

On second thought, if sealed boxes have to be sent in for grading, guess if I only get the first order, I won't grade a set. Still, I think it's going to be possible to get two orders in, just don't know how realistic it would be for somebody to get five separate orders placed...

37. Foxwoods Man

Nope, won't work that way....you will have to send in the original sealed Mint box (2 sets) in order to get the 25th Anniversary label. Once you open the shipping box 3 of the 5 coins are toast for that label.

38. ChoiceBU

Right, thanks. I edited my post about that.

39. oninismo

oninismo Seeker Seeker

Can you send them the box and tell them to grade only 2 sets and leave the other ungraded? Also what about NGC? do they have the same unopened shipping box policy? Thanks!

40. Chester-Copperpot

Chester-Copperpot Gold Member Site Supporter Gold Chaser

This question probably belongs somewhere else, but what the hell. Does it make a difference how long you leave a coin before getting it graded. Like this coin for instance, if you get it graded straight away, does it have more chance of grading perfect, than if you left it five years.
    Just wondering about toning, and other things making a difference.