1. Snow and cold in the North as winter returns
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have a great weekend!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 2/25/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1258.30-- UP 19.20 Silver $18.33-- UP 30 Oil $53.99-- UP 21 USD $101.09 -- UP 14 tics Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1309.66 (1), SAE $21.82 (20)

A business in Canada is offering a job and 2 free acres of land if you relocate

Discussion in 'Real Estate & Other Investments' started by Scorpio, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Скорпион Founding Member Board Elder Site Mgr Site Supporter ++

A business in Canada is offering a job and 2 free acres of land if you relocate

Catherine Clifford
    5 Hours Ago
    [​IMG]

DeAgostini | Getty Images
    Cape Breton, Nova Scotia

Two free acres of land is not a typical perk to offer to a new hire. But that's what The Farmer's Daughter Country Market is offering.

That's because, well, it needs workers, and there aren't any available in the village of Whycocomagh, located on Cape Breton, an island at the eastern end of Nova Scotia in Canada. It's stunningly gorgeous territory, but it's pretty remote.

The Facebook post advertising the job and land offer admits that you won't get rich taking the job at The Farmer's Daughter Country Market, but the rural town offers a wholesome life that it hopes will entice someone to make the big move.

"We can't give you big money, but we can give you an awesome life," the Facebook post reads. "But we can offer you a great incentive to come and try us out. One thing our business does have is LOTS of LAND."

[​IMG]
    Henry Georgi | Getty Images

Cabot Trail at Cap Rouge, Cape Breton

Upon being accepted for the job, the new employee will get access to two acres of land to put a home on. If the employee stays on at The Farmer's Daughter Country Market for five years, and everyone still likes each other after that time working together, then the land is granted to the employee.

The job offer went up a couple weeks ago, and there has been a lot of interest already. The post has thousands of likes and comments, many from people who seem tired of the hectic pace of modern life.

To be sure, the lifestyle does sound idyllic for the adventurous outdoor type. "It is an area surrounded by beautiful mountains and the shining Bras d'Or lake where kayaks and canoes outnumber motorboats," the post reads. "We are looking for people who are environmentally conscious, want to be part of a community and will see our business not as you work for us, but we all work together to create something to be proud of."

One catch: The job is only available for those who can already legally work in Canada.

[​IMG]
    The great outdoor restroom options just got better

[​IMG]
    Catherine Clifford

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/16/a-bu...line|story&par=yahoo&doc=103944461&yptr=yahoo

2. JayDubya

JayDubya Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

yeah but......

....then you have to live in Canada

(Don't get all wound up. It's just a joke)

3. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    Too late, shoulda had that part first.

4. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    I like the vague and easy to get out of terms to get the two acres. First, they let you "use" two acres to put a house on. What moron is going to put a house on land you don't own? Second, five years of work at low pay so "maybe" you get two acres? Work a real job and buy two acres.

A quick search showed 3.66 acres build able with stream and waterfall on site and waterfront access for $20K CAN. Just another interwebs bs story. Be a dishwasher for me for low wages and I might give you 2 acres of useless land in the woods without an access road. Or maybe I'll dislike you after 4.11 years and you won't get the land. WTF?
    People are stupid. At 10K for two acres [unknown location / quality of the two acres, could be worth a lot less], well, that comes out to $2k Canada bux per year, IF they decide they want to give it to you, after you have worked the five years. I'll pass.

[​IMG]
    3.66 acr Building Lot near Bras D`Or Lake with waterfront access
    New Price: CAN$ 19,999.-

searcher likes this.
  5. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

There's a reason there aren't any workers out there. It's a lovely place to visit .. but when the weather turns bad ... it's really really bad

mayhem and gringott like this.
  6. gringott

N/A
    Every single picture I found about real estate around there was full blown summer.

Cigarlover likes this.
  7. searcher

searcher Mother Lode Found Site Supporter ++ Mother Lode

Lifestyle overhaul! Former mortgage broker and her 10-year-old daughter start over in remote Canadian village after a nine-day road trip - leaving behind years of stress and bullying
    • Mother-daughter duo arrived to Whycocomagh, Nova Scotia, Saturday
    • Sonja Andersen, 42, moved there with Ava, 10, from West Vancouver
    • Responded to posting from a store offering a job and two acres of land to those willing to relocate
    • They left behind financial difficulties and years of school bullying for Ava
    • Now Sonja works at Whycocomagh's Farmer's Daughter Country Market
    • Both are staying at a motel for now but are looking for their new home

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3816729/Lifestyle-overhaul-Former-mortgage-broker-10-year-old-daughter-start-remote-Canadian-village-nine-day-road-trip-leaving-years-stress-bullying.html#ixzz4Lpxpg2o2
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

gringott likes this.
  8. JayDubya

I want a follow up story on this mother and daughter team. Let's check in with them again in the dead of winter, let's say sometime in late February.

searcher and gringott like this.
  9. gringott

N/A
    LOL thanks searcher, like W.C. Fields said, "No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree."
    or
    "It's morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep his money."
    or
    "Never give a sucker an even break."

The child is 10, she had the child at 32, this is no immature teenage single mom, she had a child as an adult and couldn't figure out how to live better than "hand to mouth". They were barely making it according to the mom, but have two dogs to take care of. Hmmm.
    Here is an enlightening quote [to me]

'This is a minimum wage job so not moving to get rich but rather more affordable living as we have struggled to even put food on the table for far too long,' she wrote on a Go Fund Me page before their move.

'Elementary school bullying for five years has driven my daughter to such deep sadness, so with no friends being left behind she is already at the door with her bags packed!'

Go Fund Me, another failure at life, due to poor decisions, asks the gullible public to "bail them out".
    Moving across the continent for a minimum wage job in a town of 850 does not strike me as a sudden strike of rational thinking.

The daughter has exactly zero friends. Nobody sees a problem here? Being bullied is one thing, but zero friends? Anybody suspect the problem might not be bullies?

The job is a sucker move IMHO, and they found the appropriate sucker.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  10. pitw

As usual I tend to disagree with a bunch of you. There are things to be learned going out on the rock and living upon 2 acres that can be learned no other way. The daughter may learn to be nearly self sufficient and to not rely on electronics to do what she can do herself. Living away from the mass's can only be good as i ain't never read anything good about mass's.

11. JayDubya

I ain't saying it's not good, I'm saying most people are already too soft and that kinda living will likely crush them.

12. pitw

Better to becrushed trying than to not even being allowed to grow cause of fear.

13. gringott

N/A
    I don't disagree with some of what you say, but going to work at a minimum wage job, dragging a child across the continent, certainly passing thousands of miles of wooded land that is sparsely settled, and I am positive passing numerous minimum wage jobs along the way, well that doesn't seem too smart. Read the terms of the 2 acres again and tell me how you think that is a good thing or you would sign up to a contract like that. I'm not saying they should have remained in the city, I'm saying the deal is BS and she has the judgement of a child.

By the way, the story states she is living in a motel and "looking for a home". I think things aren't financially stable if you are working for minimum wage and have to live in a motel. Seems expensive to me. No mention of the 2 acres in this story, I guess a failed mortgage broker isn't erecting a cabin on land they don't own and might never own.

14. gringott

N/A
    So jump at the first interwebs BS offer you see? WTF? Judgement and wisdom and planning be damned, I'll just "grow" by a blind leap of faith, oh, first I'll set up a go fund me page so I can get some sucker money. Have you given yet pitw?

15. pitw

A person working for themself is worth 10+ working for misery. What did your forefathers leave to come and try something different? You are making the assumption everything is done on the internet but it ain't and I have helped people starting out with sweat to build their house, barn etc... I never shit on someone for trying but say the word can't and see how much sewage you can hold.

16. gringott

N/A
    pitw, I guess you just haven't bothered to acquaint yourself with the particulars of the story. The devil is in the details.

We aren't discussing the subject you are discussing. She didn't emigrate anywhere, she fell for a minimum wage job advert on the other side of the continent. She is still in Canada. Or didn't you get that part?

Just about everything in this story was done on the internet if you would bother to read the story.

I note you didn't bother to address any of the pertinent facts in your replies, only posting "homilies".

Again, I don't discount people trying to "start over", perhaps in a more rural setting, sure, why not?

What if I offered up a job picking tobacco and vegetables here near where I live in the countryside, minimum wage, and offered a chance at maybe [they can refuse the land if they "don't like you" after 5 years] giving you 2 acres after you have worked 5 years at minimum wage? Think it is a good deal? Would you advise people to move here from thousands of miles away to take advantage of that offer? Can't think of a better way to change circumstances? Pretty lame brained if you ask me. I got a town near me with minimum wage and above signs all over the place. I'm sure some of them would promise you "maybe" 2 acres somewhere if they still like you after 5 years of employment. Geez, get a clue, even if you have to buy one.

17. latemetal

latemetal Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

If Hillary or Trump wins, somebody will apply.

gringott likes this.
  18. pitw

I can always tell I'm close when you start with the insults as that is some Americans way. Just saying.

19. gringott

N/A
    If you address the facts of the story, I will certainly consider your position. So far you have offered nothing of substance. If that is an insult, show I am wrong. Sorry if you are offended. I have agreed with you that a person desiring to change their circumstances, such as moving to a rural area, may be a good thing. However, other than that, you have offered nothing concrete that I have read here that you wrote about this particular case. You ignored the facts it seems, or at least haven't addressed them. Why?

20. pitw

Have you never had a dream? Say something better for your child or yourself. Not knowing how to get out of a bad situation is as bad as being in the situation to my way of thinking. I never said what she was doing was a grand thing but doing something is so much better than remaining stuck in mire to ones neck. I live where millions came on the promise of free land and some actually made it work but many more moved on to other things from here which is something they couldn't have done if they had stayed stuck. I worked for a Dane who bought stupid investment things from the back of magazines/papers just to keep from giving his money to his government. If you don't know anything just turn around and try something cause you never know when you may have hit the winning ticket.

21. gringott

N/A
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I won't waste space quoting you. You said exactly nothing addressing the facts. As you failed to do before.
    Blind leaping into a situation without due diligence is about the worst thing a person could do IMHO.

I noticed a clear choice to avoid facts by you in this thread. Again, platitudes and homilies are most likely best heard in a church.

22. searcher

23. searcher

24. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter

Not getting into your other arguments ... When Canadians say 'the Rock' they usually are talking about Newfoundland, not Cape Breton.