1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver Bullion Coins

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by JayDubya, Jun 20, 2010.

1. JayDubya

JayDubya Platinum Bling Platinum Bling

Does anyone have an update regarding these? Is there a definitive release date yet? Everything I can find still says something like "later this year".

2. hernancortes

hernancortes Gold Member Gold Chaser

Best I can add is that Tulving had "late summer" posted on his site.

MoMoney likes this.
  3. Oldmansmith

Oldmansmith Midas Member Midas Member

Environmentl Consultant
    I will be buying them.

4. charlie1023

charlie1023 Seeker Seeker

I emailed APMEX and this is the response I got from them as I have been calling the Mint directly with no luck on any updates though earlier in the year they told me the first coins would be coming out in the late spring which has now become late summer.

Thank you for your inquiry and your interest in APMEX. WE will carry a full line of them. At the moment the U.S. Mint has released very little details pertaining to the program. These 5 oz. silver bullion coins will be struck and released before the end of 2010 (We have been told late summer is when it will start) in correspondence with the law (they will have to strike all 5 designs in 2010). We will have more information when it becomes available. If you have any other questions please call or -e-mail me directly. Thank you again for your interest in APMEX!

Nathan Owens
    Director of Numismatics

American Precious Metals Exchange
    226 Dean A. McGee Avenue
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73102
    (405) 595-2100 ext 106
    www.APMEX.com

HistoryStudent, MKS, hydro and 2 others like this.
  5. JayDubya

Thanks charlie 1023 I appreciate the post.
    Sadly, we still dont know anymore now than we did earlier.

6. hydro

hydro Seeker Seeker

Protecting our Waters
    I have been using the following link for updates, but still no new updates. Although the "news" tab on the link does have the most recent updates on the quarter series.

http://americabeautifulquarters.com/america-the-beautiful-silver-bullion-coins/

When it is all said and done, there will be a total of 56 - 5 oz bullion coins (280 ounces total). But it will be spread out over the next 11 years so it shouldn't be that painful. It does look like all five may have to be purchased at the same time this year once the Mint figures out how to make them.

I wonder if there will be much of a "collector" value of the complete 56 set when the last coin is released.

JayDubya likes this.
  7. hernancortes

Best we can do is watch the weekly sales reports and try to anticipate any early sell-outs as the mint sometimes tips their hand in that direction.

orovicino and hydro like this.
  8. HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent Midas Member Midas Member

Coins should be rather impressive. I understand that the US Mint recently mentioned they were "worried" about obtaining SILVER precious metal in the future.

Now that's really interesting as far as collector value - when there is NO metal, right?

hydro likes this.
  9. hydro

hydro Seeker Seeker

Protecting our Waters
    LOL, I can see it now: “My mom went to the U.S. Mint to get me a 5-ounce bullion coin, and all I got was this glossy picture of what it would have looked like.â€

I guess a run of “0†would make it rare! I can just see the ebay listings, pay now and will ship when in hand. :haha:

10. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

They will smack out a couple hundred and then run out of silver. Then the rest of the collection will be cancelled for "lack of interest."

Tinbox, Auracle and MoMoney like this.
  11. JayDubya

Anyone here considering collecting not just the 5 oz silver rounds but the also the quarters that go with them? I personally dont display my "collection" but I think that might be kinda cool.

hydro likes this.
  12. hydro

hydro Seeker Seeker

Protecting our Waters
    Thanks for the suggestion, something I did not consider. I think the best way to go would be the mint silver proof set to go with the 5 oz coins. At least this way, if the quarters are not big among collectors, you will at least have the silver content to fall back on for value.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wc...ctId=15252&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10211

Attached Files:

Another and MoMoney like this.
  13. JayDubya

Exactly, I think that would be a pretty cool display. And as you say, if the quarters flop, you dont end up with a complete loss, you always have the silver content for some cushion.

14. charlie1023

You're welcome. I emailed Mr. Owens at APMEX and asked them to please let me know or give me an update once they had something concrete on a release date from the Mint. As soon as I get an update, I'll post it here as several of us have been eagerly awaiting their release. The bigger question will be how much of a premium will we have to pay for them!!

15. ppius13

ppius13 Seeker Seeker

I collect the silver proof America The Beautiful quarters in PCGS PR69DCAM with Flags: http://www.coinfame.com/servlet/the-10083/2010-S-SILVER-America/Detail

They can be purchased for $79.99 for the set of five (5).

MoMoney likes this.
  16. dmaddox

dmaddox Seeker Seeker

I am looking forward to the 5 oz coins. I have already set up the subscription for the silver proof quarters on the mint website, so hopefully they will start sending those out soon enough.

17. HistoryStudent

Should be rather cheap to do that...

18. 321AU

321AU Seeker Seeker

I bought a few sets of the silver quarters and waiting on the 5ozers

19. hydro

hydro Seeker Seeker

Protecting our Waters
  20. hernancortes

Newmismatic news has a story today that they will begin striking in July, they are just waiting on blanks from sunshine minting.

JayDubya and charlie1023 like this.
  21. livtocruz

livtocruz Seeker Seeker

Oh sure, they have enough silver so that they can mint these coins but not the Proof 1 ozt SAEs. This really pi##es me off. I'm sure others would agree. What about you HS?

22. NotTheOne

NotTheOne Seeker Seeker

I wonder if these can be graded? Surely someone will submit it to one of the services...... Think of the size of the slab for these.

23. HistoryStudent

I'd rather see a little than here a lot of baloney, right?

They haven't made a silver proof in 3 years nor even a stinkin' MS US Mint boxed eage

Director of US mint says he can't find the silver for more production even this year....

DEFAULT coming --- I don't know but it's better to be one day too early than a MOMENT too late...

24. ppius13

ppius13 Seeker Seeker

History Student,

I would like to thank you for your numerous informative posts. You got me into the First Spouse coins just before they shot up in value, and I always appreciate your informed opinions. Have a great 4th!

HistoryStudent likes this.
  25. JayDubya

From July 5th article in Coin Collecting News.

If you dont want to read the entire article, here's the summary - STILL NO RELEASE DATES

http://www.coincollectingnews.org/america-the-beautiful-5-oz-silver-bullion-quarter-coins/1012351

America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver Bullion Quarter Coins
    by Coin Collecting News Staff on July 5, 2010

in America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coins, Featured Coin News, U.S. Coins, United States Mint

Five new bullion coins are due from the United States Mint yet this year, and all indications are that the Mint is in the process of ramping up for their striking. Known as the America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver Bullion Quarter Coins, these pieces are an extension of the circulating America the Beautiful Quarters™ Program, also from the U.S. Mint.

Both programs were authorized by Public Law 110-456, also known as the America's Beautiful National Parks Quarter Dollar Coin Act of 2008. The act was signed into law by former President George W. Bush on December 23, 2008.

In the text of the law, a majority of the focus was placed on creating the new quarters program. These American coins continue a series of rotating reverse designs on 25-cent pieces which began in 1999 with the introduction of the highly successful 50-State Quarters Program, and immediately followed in 2009 by the D.C. & U.S. Territories Quarter Program. In these programs, sites were selected from each state, the District of Columbia and the five territories of the United States to be honored on the coins.

The new quarters series follows this same basic principle, but the law mandated that the selected locations had to be of national interest. This would include sites like national parks, national monuments, national seashores and national forests. Quarters in the program are to be issued at a rate of five per year until each jurisdiction has been honored.

Debut strikes of the America the Beautiful Quarters have already been released this year with the first one honoring Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas which premiered on April 20, 2010. The second coin in the series, the Yellowstone National Park Quarter had its release ceremony on June 3, 2010.

America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver Bullion Coins
    Along with the circulating quarter-dollars, the Mint must create bullion America the Beautiful Silver Coins featuring identical designs to the quarters. The text of the legislation reads as such:

"The Secretary shall strike and make available for sale such number of bullion coins as the Secretary determines to be appropriate that are exact duplicates of the quarter dollars."

Interestingly, the technical details called for by the law in creating them placed a burden on the Mint as it had never before produced such a coin. The coin specifications demand that each must:

Have a composition of .999 fine silver
    Weigh five ounces
    Have an extremely large diameter of three inches
    That diameter is almost twice as large as the Mint's currently offered bullion silver coin, the American Silver Eagle which is 1.598 inches.

A further requirement of the silver pieces dictates that each be edge incused with the coin's fineness and weight, a task that proved to be the most difficult to perform. (For more, read about the coin production challenges as described in a coin forum by U.S. Mint Director Ed Moy.)

The Mint purchased a $2.2 million Graebener coining press specifically for striking America the Beautiful Silver Bullion Coins, and it seems to have worked out the coin production issues. The five bullion pieces due in 2010 are scheduled for release beginning in the third quarter of the year (July, August and September) -- after the first, the remaining will be issued in intervals through the rest of this year.

The five slated for 2010 include:

2010 Hot Springs National Park 5 oz Silver Coin representing Arkansas
    2010 Yellowstone National Park 5 oz Silver Coin representing Wyoming
    2010 Yosemite National Park 5 oz Silver Coin representing California
    2010 Grand Canyon National 5 oz Park Silver Coin representing Arizona
    2010 Mount Hood National Forest 5 oz Silver Coin representing Oregon
    Future coins will be released annually on approximately the same schedule as the circulating America the Beautiful Quarters.

Where to Purchase the Bullion Coins
    Because the coins are bullion, the Mint will not sell them directly to the public like it does with its numismatic or collector proof and uncirculated coins. Instead, they will be distributed through its network of authorized purchasers who will then resell them for a small premium over the current spot price of silver. The Mint has indicated the possibility of offering numismatic versions directly to coin collectors and enthusiasts.

The bullion coins may also be sold by the National Park Service (NPS). Within Public Law 110-456 is the language:

"In addition to the authorized dealers utilized by the Secretary in distributing bullion coins and solely for purposes of distributing bullion coins issued under this subsection, the Director of the National Park Service, or the designee of the Director, may purchase numismatic items issued under this subsection, but only in units of no fewer than 1,000 at a time, and the Director, or the Director's designee, may resell or repackage such numismatic items as the Director determines to be appropriate."

"The Director of the National Park Service, or the designee of the Director, may resell, at cost and without repackaging, numismatic items acquired by the Director or such designee under subparagraph (A) to any party affiliated with any national site honored by a quarter dollar under subsection (t) for repackaging and resale by such party in the same manner and to the same extent as such party would be authorized to engage in such activities under subparagraph (A) if the party were acting as the designee of the Director under such subparagraph'."

26. dmaddox

dmaddox Seeker Seeker

APMEX allows you to sign up for email alerts to let you know when their shipment of coins come in.

27. AgAuGal

AgAuGal Founding Member Founding Member Site Mgr Site Supporter

do you know what the total silver weight is for this proof set? I see they are selling for 32.95

28. hydro

hydro Seeker Seeker

Protecting our Waters
    AgAuGal likes this.
  29. AgAuGal

AgAuGal Founding Member Founding Member Site Mgr Site Supporter

30. Hasenfuss

Hasenfuss New Member

I predict the price of the 5 oz. coins will be $172.95.

31. MoMoney

MoMoney Seeker Seeker

I say it will be $159.99 + s/h of $4.95

32. Oldmansmith

Environmentl Consultant
    Agreed, but I wish that I had bought all the silver proof states, not to sell but to keep. Too pricey now.

HistoryStudent likes this.
  33. charlie1023

Its been some time since I got this response back from APMEX on the 5 ouncers coming out so I thought I would drop them a line again to see if there where any updates last night since we are getting late in the year now. Here is what I got back. I also contacted the US Mint today but since it was after 5 PM EDT, I was told by customer service to contact the bullion office directly during normal business hours as they were the only ones that could give me a reasonable answer so I'll be doing that tomorrow and posting any worthwhile information. What won't I do for a 5 ounce chunk of silver?????

Hello Charlie,
    It is amazing how fast the end of the year is approaching us. Unfortunately we have not heard a peep from anyone from the U.S. Mint on this still... they are still planning on making all 5 of them! I will let you know when we here any information at all. there seems to big a very BIG interest in these. Thanks!

Nathan Owens
    Director of Numismatics

American Precious Metals Exchange
    226 Dean A. McGee Avenue
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73102
    (405) 595-2100 ext 106
    www.APMEX.com

dmaddox, Oldmansmith and newmisty like this.
  34. charlie1023

I'm updating my previous post as I called the US Mint Bullion Desk and had left a message after I posted here last week. Lo and behold, I get a call yesterday from a District of Columbia phone number and it turns out to be the Mint calling me back. i spoke with a rep and when i asked her for the status of these 5 oz babies, she told me that they had run into problems with the dies and were not yet ready to start production. I asked her if there was a problem securing the blanks and she said no, just that they had some issues however they still had every intention of minting all 5 coins before the end of this year. I thanked her for calling me back and she told me I could call her direct for updates on this product so we agreed that i would bother her again in 2 weeks. I was quite surprised to get the call back and the open way in which she spoke to me. I'll call back and let everyone know what I'm told once I get anything of value. With my luck, these babies will get minted and released as silver races past $30/oz!!!!

35. dmaddox

dmaddox Seeker Seeker

Any new updates? I am wondering if they will be able to produce them this year or not. Definitely not going to be a lot of each.

36. HistoryStudent

BY the time they are for sale: the price of silver will be NORTH of $30 and the price they will charge is around $250.00 for the coin.

They have to make money somewhere giving it away to all the little acorns and all....

Damn things are too big to slab anyway....

37. Oldmansmith

Environmentl Consultant
    I'm definitely buying at least the Yosemite one, having climbed El Capitan. Probably buying all of the frst except Hot Springs (Fugly).

That is of coure if they EVER issue them.

38. 321AU

321AU Seeker Seeker

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  39. HistoryStudent

I'll buy them because I like the BIG different NOT BORING coins....

But frankly - I think they are trying to RE-NIG (niggardly type act) about making even one - they have NOT made a PROOF for years now - and MY 85
    MS 2008 mint boxed babies don't have any friends either, right?

40. hernancortes