1. Good Monday Morning, Gold holding some residual strength and at 1173 this am, while silver remains tucked under 15 at 14.94. US Dollar is gaining some traction again this am, now at 97.24, while oil is seeing selling and is at 30.12, down .77 and threatening to drop below 30 once again. Bonds again are catching a bid while US Stocks are showing all red prior to the open.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Need more resources for the Industry Links. Have some guns/ammo, preps, pm dealers, and charts, but need more to make it a go to resource and replace bookmarks. Please send me a conversation with your ideas for others we should add. TIA. Together we will make it a great resource.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 2/6/16 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1157.7 Up 41.30-- Silver $14.80 Up 56 ct-- Oil $30.89 DOWN 2.73-- USD $97.05 DOWN 2.60-- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE $1232.39 (1), SAE $18.46 (20)
  4. Please use the following for log on: www.goldismoney2.com We have moved to a new server. Please reset bookmark accordingly
  5. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

An Incan Girl, Frozen for 500 years!

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Goldhedge, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    An Incan Girl, Frozen for 500 years!

15 year old girl from the Incan Empire who has been frozen for 500 years. (She was a sacrifice)

SALTA, Argentina — The maiden, the boy, the girl of lightning: they were three Inca children, entombed on a bleak and frigid mountaintop 500 years ago as a religious sacrifice…

Unearthed in 1999 from the 22,000-foot summit of Mount Llullaillaco, a volcano 300 miles west of here near the Chilean border, their frozen bodies were among the best preserved mummies ever found, with internal organs intact, blood still present in the heart and lungs, and skin and facial features mostly unscathed. No special effort had been made to preserve them. The cold and the dry, thin air did all the work. They froze to death as they slept, and 500 years later still looked like sleeping children, not mummies.

[​IMG]

Lots more pics and story:

http://1426.blogspot.com/2012/09/an-incan-girl-frozen-for-500-years.html

TnAndy, Unca Walt, newmisty and 4 others like this.
  2. JayDubya

JayDubya Gold Member Gold Chaser

So this girl was frozen for FIVE HUNDRED YEARS??? If my ex could be immortal she'd break that record with NO problem.

3. <SLV>

<SLV> Gold Member Gold Chaser

That is so sad.

4. <SLV>

Worse than that -- it makes be angry. Tears came into my eyes as I looked at the pictures and realized that someone took that precious girl to a mountain top, let her fall asleep with hypothermia, then placed her in a crevice of the rock to freeze to death.

Humanity disgusts me.

5. Ragnarok

Ragnarok I'd rather be Midas Member

W o w ..........:eek_ma::no_ma:

R.

6. Goldhedge

Tech
    Interesting that her skin is still brown and that no animals fed on her.

What's interesting about someone taking her up there as a sacrifice is the dogma behind the decision...

smilershouse and bemac like this.
  7. Unclad Lad

Unclad Lad Rhodium Imam Gold Chaser

Keeping those damn kids off my lawn!
    I understand, but there are much worse ways to die--like the way the Aztecs offered up sacrifices.

8. Goldfarmer

Goldfarmer Seeker Seeker

seed fields, feed cows, check oilwells
    I'm with Unclad Lad on this. Yes, terrible she was left to freeze to death and then stuck in a rock crevasse for eternity! But I would pick that for myself than to be held across a stone alter and have my heart cut out while I watch! Both good example of why I lean strongly towards being an athiest.......

9. silver solution

silver solution Gold Member Gold Chaser

I would think the civil war here in the divided states could have been much worse death. WW1 dieing in some mud hole or WW2 being fire bombed in Dresden or dieing on some beach fighting a people I had no clue about. Then there was dieing in some place like Korea or Vietnam fighting against a people you might have even liked?

10. phideaux

phideaux Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
    Goldhedge likes this.
  11. GOLD DUCK

GOLD DUCK Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

QWAK,I must have seemed a good idea at the time.:hmmmm2:

the DUCK :s9:

Irons and phideaux like this.
  12. <SLV>

It isn't the manner of death that is so disgusting. It is the deliberate and methodical way in which this girl's parents/family chose to kill her -- that is disgusting. I'm a father of 4 girls, and I can't imagine how perverse a father's heart would have to be to kill his teen daughter. Did she KNOW she was going to BE the sacrifice? I have a hard time believing she would have fallen asleep so peacefully if that was the case.

Argentium likes this.
  13. Unca Walt

Unca Walt Midas Member Midas Member

If I may recommend a book (not mine! :cool: ) "The Far Arena" by Richard Sapir.

I've read it perhaps six times over the years. (It came out in 1978.) It is riveting/fascinating. Wonderful.

"It chronicles the adventures of Eugeni, a Roman gladiator from Domitian's period, who, due to an unlikely series of events, is frozen in ice for 1900 years before being found by the Houghton Oil Company on a prospecting mission in the North Atlantic."

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/142024.The_Far_Arena

Hystckndle likes this.
  14. DodgebyDave

DodgebyDave Metal Messiah Midas Member

Not much wildlife at 22k feet. 4k short of the Everest/K2/Annapurna "death zones" and well above the treeline. Not many birds even fly that high, let alone roost or nest.

The Condors don't like it much above 14k. Easier pickings and more oxygen.

15. Tundra

Tundra New Member

I don't disagree based on the values for which we were taught.

They just had a different value system.

But hey, she lived 500 years ago. In hindsight, the end result would have been the same. Plenty of gruesome and unnecessary murders before this poor girl... and plenty more to come (sadly).

16. Spectrism

Spectrism Seeker Seeker

Counting down these last days
    I lean strongly to worshiping a God who gives of Himself for His followers.

I stay away from those who want to suck you dry. Vampires are not good gods.

...if she had parents or family. She could have been an orphan and left as an easy choice to sacrifice.

Are we any better when we have murdered more than 50 million babies in our country in the last 50 years? Who is more savage?

SongSungAU likes this.
  17. phideaux

Who knows, she might have been a "volunteer."

TPTB may have promised her whatever the Inca equivalent might have been to today's Islamic "72 virgins in heaven" promise.

SongSungAU likes this.
  18. Argentium

Argentium Midas Member Midas Member

But you're not looking at it right. Don't you know how cool and advanced these MesoAmerican "civilizations" were? I mean golly, they had astronomical observations better than Europeans at the time, advanced mathematics and arts and all that cool stuff! We'll just overlook their brutal, bloodthirsty savagery. Before anyone gets on their high horse, yeah Western Civilization doesn't get a pass, either, but I'd still take it, over any of the great, oh-so-advanced MesoAmerican civilizations.

andial likes this.
  19. Oldmansmith

Oldmansmith Midas Member Midas Member

Environmentl Consultant
    I saw a condor land on the Polish glacier on Aconcagua at 20,000 feet, probably going after a climbers stashed or dropped food.

She was higher than that and hidden, so they did not see her I'm guessing.

And I'm also guessing that her parents had no choice in the matter. Kind of like your son being drafted into the civil or vietnam war.

20. phideaux

Right, it might have been a great honor for the family to have their child selected for this "event."

21. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Site Supporter Midas Member

I think she lost a bet or her dad lost the soccer game.

22. GOLD DUCK

QWAK,Argentium,They did not have the WHEEL:thumbs_down: and did not have DOORS or LOCKS either!:stupido2::thumbs_up:

When Cortes arived what amased him and his men most :hmmmm2: there was NO CRIME or THEFT like in Europe -- they simply placed a stick across the door way --- if any one entered and crossed the stick --- it became there turn NEXT to be SACRIFICED!:ahhhhh::vollkommenauf:

They found OTHER solutions for EXCESS population and built cities biger and cleaner than any in Europe including France England and Italy!

They domesticated CORN and POTATOES which ultimitly fead the over populated Europe! :idea::thumbs_up::23_28_100s:

Yes there perspective was very diferent from the conventional european norms but it worked for them :yes:

At the same time back in England France and Spain it was accepted NORM to hang a THIEF and let the corps ROT as a mesage to others NOT to take other peoples things!:vollkommenauf:

Montazuma payed the randsom and they killed him any way! :vollkommenauf: there is your EUROPEAN values at work!:thumbs_down::realmad:

the DUCK :15_1_70v:

Irons and Buffalo like this.
  23. DodgebyDave

DodgebyDave Metal Messiah Midas Member

That, and she didn't stink much.:eating:

Oldmansmith likes this.
  24. Argentium

GD, I don't play the "Western Civ Bad", "Other Civs Good" game. The Meso's had a fondness for carving one's beating heart from their chest, we had crucifixions. beheadings, burning at the stake and other drastic forms of public execution. I have been to a few of the Mayan ruins and experienced a heavy sense of foreboding, almost a fear reaction. I never have experienced that at any other historic ruins, or a church.

My point is; I've never heard that the accomplishments of the West in art or science will whitewash our crimes. This apparently doesn't appear to apply to other civilizations like the Maya, or the Aztecs. So, some stone ruins and knowing where Sirius will be in the sky, 2000 years in the future, makes it OK to overlook those societies odd need for the horrific deaths of many, many people?

Trust me, academic types love to spout this horsesh!t. In my Master's program, I had to take the course "History of Astronomy". The condensed version; The ancient Greeks definitely took a backseat to the Arabs, Persians, the Chinese and MesoAmericans. I could not stomach the anti-Western sentiments of the instructor and fellow students and dropped the course.

orovicino likes this.
  25. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter

Engineer
    Always wanted to do that one OMS,
    ( and a few others before it is to late ) whoop arse approach and follow through ...
    Good friend of mine has been there I think 4 times now to Mendoza and out.
    But that is another subject.
    You made my day with some side bar thoughts I have goping now.
    Regards, sir.

Oldmansmith likes this.
  26. SPQR

SPQR New Member

They probably ran out of atheists to sacrifice ... ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2012
  27. Oldmansmith

Oldmansmith Midas Member Midas Member

Environmentl Consultant
    Off topic, weather turned for the better, so we skipped the high camp and started at dusk, doing the steeper direct to the right, climbing all through the night. Steep styrofoam snow, front pointing and axe and hammer but no pro, killer stars and the magellanic cloud, well below zero. My buddy lost all the toes on his right foot.

28. Hystckndle

Hystckndle Daguerreotype Fanatic Site Mgr Site Supporter

Engineer
    ( sorry GH for the quick OT sidebar... )
    Holy cow, yep, sounds like it musta not been the "tourist" route I would have to do with your direct bypass around high camp. Interesting.
    Gotta hand it to you for that. I will check it out in my book. Note to self: toes and fingers ( and other appendages ) go fast up there.
    Been close and it is humbling. Regards OMS.

29. Goldhedge

Tech
    NP

As for dying, going by hypothermia has to be one of the more enjoyable ways to die.

You get all warm inside and go to sleep...

30. GOLD DUCK

QWAK,After pondering on this subject :hmmmm2: it occures to me :idea: that we all percieve our world/reality threw glasses :36_1_37: with lenses that are distorted and ground by the people and cultures around us :yes: so that virtualy ANY thing is posable and socialy acceptable :thumbs_up: and the actions taken go unquestioned or even resisted because they beacme the accepted NORM!:ahhhhh::yes::alberteinstein:

When we try to judge and evaluate the actions of other cultures and in other times in history --- we can only use our own accepted conventional norms which them selves are also distorted views and not OBJECTIVELY detached from the percieved situation.:alberteinstein:

I am thinking :idea: it has always been a CARTOON REALITY :yes::thumb.aspx: it was for the Romans with gladiators and crusifictions :thumbs_down: just as it was for the Myans and human sacrifices :ahhhhh: or even today with using economic/debt slavery and wars to reduce and controll populations.:yes::cry_smile:

Nothing has actualy changed other than PERSPECTIVE:452::banghead: --- all the basic eliments of the equasion remain the same:yes: and diferent SOLUTIONS are all a mix of right and wrong factors that maintain an unstable equalibrium that is temporary and potentialy explocive in social inviroments.:alberteinstein:

ZOMBIES don't know :hmmmm2: or think or see them selves :stupido2: as ZOMBIES :36_1_30: -- in there reality they are being and doing what seems NORMAL to them and all the others around them.:yes::ahhhhh:

the DUCK :15_1_70v:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    <SLV>, Ishkabibble and arminius like this.
  31. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Mother Lode

Best reply goes to the Duck. :thumbs_up:

newmisty likes this.
  32. GOLD DUCK

QWAK,Irons,Well:wink: IF they thought it was a BAD IDEA :idea::thumbs_down: they probably would not have done it!:thumbs_up::23_28_100s::cheerful:

IF mankind manages to survive :hmmmm2::ahhhhh: how wll they see US when they look back 500+ years?:afraid::vollkommenauf:

People do stupid things on purpose:yes: it takes a lot of work and effort but they don't think :idea::hmmmm2: it is STUPID:452: so they do what they do :36_1_25: and don't ask WHY :questionmark: because IF they do or did --- the people around them will believe they are STUPID!:s13::36_11_6:

the DUCK :15_1_70v::10_1_19:

Irons likes this.
  33. Argentium

QWAK, I'll buy that for a dollar! I don't think that anyone can make statements about another culture with absolute objectivity. Being human, it just can't be done.