1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Arctic Ancestral Survivalism with the Sami People

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by Ishkabibble, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Ishkabibble

Ishkabibble Gold Member Gold Chaser

2. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Talk about winter bush.

3. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

Northern people would have been so much better off if the woodstove had been invented centuries earlier. They lost a lot of heat and had to endure the smoke. Imagine how much wood you would have to chop to keep one of those homes warm, and that was before the age of the chainsaw.

4. Ishkabibble

No offense intended, but the Western woodstove is a torture device. Homes are too hot on a full burn and too cold out of it. Get the damper right and MAYBE the fire'll stay lit while you're out, otherwise it's a cold house in barely a few hours. Wake every night to feed the stove like a baby. Creosote build up leads to house fires if the fire's too low, and the stove burns out if too hot. Those are features of no great invention.

Traditional Western issues are all avoidable with wood heat. Europeans have been using masonry heaters since the 1600s. One hot 2hr fire leaves the house warm for a full day. Because the charge is burned fast, creosote isn't an issue. And no getting up at night either. Why the West ever adopted the cast iron stove is anyone's guess. But what a move BACK in design it was.

Uglytruth and Ebie like this.
  5. Howdy

I suppose by masonry heater you mean something like a Russian fireplace. Yes, they have some advantages over woodstoves, but look at the disadvantage. Unless you are a mason and don't value your time, a Russian fireplace costs 30 times as much as a woodstove because it is extremely heavy and labor intensive to build. I have a woodstove and the temperature drop between 10 PM and 7 AM is only around 5 degrees f. That is the daily fluctuation here. A masonry heater of any kind is not suitable for frontier or nomadic use either, when uncertainty about war negates the advantages of such a formidable investment.
    Like the Indians in their tipis, the Sami people must have had a lot of smoke in their eyes. A cheap stamped sheetmetal woodstove would sure have made their lives much easier and more pleasant.

6. Ishkabibble

I have to bow and concede de feet ;) as you have several good points. I guess I'm a little biased as I've used wood heat in the past, and the experience of a masonry stove/Russian fireplace is soooo much nicer than ole' ironbox. I'll be building two masonry heaters into my next house, a basic one opening to the master bedroom and one with an oven on the kitchen side of the house. Most houses could make do with a single masonry heater but I'm comfortable with their construction and I'll do the work myself.

Howdy likes this.
  7. Howdy

There is also that rocket mass heater, they seem to be catching on a little around here. I haven't figured out just how much work they are to tend fire.
    My next home will have a wood fired gasifier boiler and either pex piping in the slab or antique radiators if on a stem wall foundation with wood joists. Why? Insurance companies.

8. Agavegirl1

Agavegirl1 Silver Miner Site Supporter ++ Platinum Bling

You will not believe me if I told you.
    My insurance company will not cover adding a woodstove to my lake home because we don't live there full time. I had selected a really nice one on which I could cook in an emergency, and it would heat the entire upper level quite well. I have earmarked the money I set aside for the stove for a whole house propane or solar generator instead. I have the electrical system in place for a generator put in by the previous owner so I can take myself off grid with the main box and use the generator box. There was just no generator that came with the house. Sigh. I plan to put in an outdoor kitchen for the one full and two partial seasons of the year it would be practical.

historyrepete likes this.
  9. Ishkabibble

Here in Canada, you can often get insurance for that scenario if the wood heat is from an outbuilding. You might look into it. You'd need limited electricity, but you could still achieve an off-grid solution.

Here's a PDF with the bulk of the details. http://www.bcairquality.ca/reports/pdfs/outdoor_boilers.pdf

10. Agavegirl1

Thanks Ish, I live just across the border and there are silly county regulations about outdoor wood burning stoves because of air quality issues even though the house is in the middle of nowhere. Also, I wanted an indoor cooking options.

11. Agavegirl1

Adding to this post to mention that my insurance company will cover a propane stove of the same type. I can buy a wood conversion kit and keep it in a box for when I move there permanently.