1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Baseball player etiquette

Discussion in 'Golf, Football, and all Ball sports' started by Merlin, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Merlin

Merlin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Just watched Milwaukee humiliate the Cubs, which seems somehow like payback for yesterday's game. But I couldn't help noticing, as I've seen many times before, the way baseball players scratch and grope themselves inappropriately, chew gum or whatever with their mouths wide open, and spit constantly. And it's not just one player or one team -- it's the whole bunch of them. What's going on here? My parents worked hard to teach me that those behaviors are bad manners in public. What about being a professional ballplayer makes it ok? Oh, and a fair number of them are mouth breathers too -- even pitchers fresh to the mound who aren't winded yet. Anyone have an opinion on this very important topic?

2. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    H
    Have you ever played ball for money? It's a job and they spit and grope while they're doing their job. You have to walk a mile in their shoes to understand....that's all I can say

searcher and Merlin like this.
  3. mayhem

mayhem Другая перспектива Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    They are all foreigners now-a-days, without formal skoolin.

Merlin likes this.
  4. Merlin

Merlin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Well, not all of them. My personal view is that there is a cultural, historical component to the phenomenon. At one time there was a lot of tobacco chewing (which of course led to a lot of spitting.) Tobacco has been largely replaced by bubblegum and, of course, the spitting continues. As for the scratching and groping, I'd bet the jock straps are stimulating, unlike cotton boxers; and they're all young guys, so playing with themselves is expected. The mouth breathing I cannot explain. But I'd be willing to bet money that these guys don't act this way when they're walking down city streets. They do these things because they're baseball players. Shootist may be close to the truth.

the_shootist likes this.
  5. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech

Merlin, glockngold and searcher like this.
  6. louky

louky Silver Member Silver Miner

What's a baseball game up to these days, 6 hours in length? Don't think I've ever gone that long without spitting or groping myself. Sometimes I go outside at work just so I can spit.