1. As expected by some of us here, the correction to bleed off some overbought status is happening this am, with gold down 15 to 1183, and silver off 25 to 15.19. Oil, after getting beat up pretty hard yesterday is up 60 this am to 28.54 while the US Dollar is flat at 96.16. The Nikkei was down hard again last evening, following the action in the US pits.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Need more resources for the Industry Links. Have some guns/ammo, preps, pm dealers, and charts, but need more to make it a go to resource and replace bookmarks. Please send me a conversation with your ideas for others we should add. TIA. Together we will make it a great resource.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 2/6/16 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1157.7 Up 41.30-- Silver $14.80 Up 56 ct-- Oil $30.89 DOWN 2.73-- USD $97.05 DOWN 2.60-- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE $1232.39 (1), SAE $18.46 (20)
  4. Please use the following for log on: www.goldismoney2.com We have moved to a new server. Please reset bookmark accordingly
  5. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

Best AR-10 style rifle?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Irons, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Mother Lode

I need some ideas my friends. A few years ago I helped my then bro-in-law dial in a brand new Armalite AR 10 carbine.

I was impressed. It was light, very accurate, well balanced and a pleasure to shoot.

So I want one. Full stock short barrel and a camo finish. I hate those collapsing AR stocks.

There is Armalite and DPMS right off the top of my head but who else and whats the best for the money?

I plan on ordering one from a local guy and getting the finish done before I get it.

All comments welcome, Thanks! :cool:

2. orovicino

orovicino Seeker Seeker

funk likes this.
  3. Irons

I have had several AK's, they are fun. :thumbs_up:

4. Bx3

Bx3 Silver Member Silver Miner

5. Irons

6. Joseph

Joseph Gold Member Site Supporter Gold Chaser

unix systems engineer

7. coopersmith

coopersmith bushwacker Seeker

I like rock river arms makes. Great guns for the $$, the best low-mid end ar platforms in my field experiance. Although, most of the ar's made by reputable manufacturers, w some notable exceptions, seem to be a-ok. Wilson combat custom builds if youve got the frn. We shoot mostly heavy barrels (not stock) w reworked actions so what do I know? we shoot 308, w changeable uppers, wouldnt have a 223. much prefer my 22-250 custom uppers.

We live on the (real) short grass prairie, so shoot longer distances more often than most........

rock river puts their 223 line on sale (last time 1k frn per) a few times a yr, and has a decent selection included in the sale.

Irons and smooth like this.
  8. AU+AG=Bacon

AU+AG=Bacon Seeker Seeker

Here are a few more for you to consider.
    Its like the golden age of the AR type platform. Many many good options. It all depends on your price range. You can look them up on gunbroker to get an idea of pricing.
    I'm saving for the Knights Armament SR25 EMC or the HK MR762. In my opinion those are the cream of the crop. Any of them including the LWRC that Bx3 recommend, would serve you fine.

http://www.knightarmco.com/sr25.html

http://www.laruetactical.com/obr-762

http://www.lmtstore.com/featured-products/308-modular-weapon-system-black-barrel.html

http://hk-usa.com/civilian_products/mr762_general.asp

Not Ar10 pattern, but similar

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/commercial/carbines/scar-series/scar-17s/

Bacon

9. Irons

Thanks for the ideas folks!

I have a killer pre ban Colt national match .223 heavy barrel AR-15 I picked up years ago at a hole in the wall Northern MI gunshop.

That's one rifle that will never be for sale as long as I'm alive.

My wife has killed 3 deer with it and bringing it out west to explode Colorado prairie dogs is a frickin' riot.

The .308 platform in a light rifle sounds just right, carrying around a 16 pound HK-91 got a bit old. Or I did. :rolleyes:

10. Eat Beef

Eat Beef Gold Member Gold Chaser

I'd keep the bbl at 18" or longer.

I'm not a fan of DPMS, they got a big contract with the New Mexico State Police dropped for rifles that didn't run. I haven't had my hands on a RRA, but they make fairly good stuff relatively cheap. The Armalite is the best non custom AR10 out there.

That said, the AR10 can be kinda finicky, and I wouldn't trust my life to less than the LWRC mentioned above, or preferably, a GAP custom. A buddy had one a few years ago, and it was stupid accurate AND dead on reliable. GREAT piece of kit, but I don't know if George is still making them.

Aurumag likes this.
  11. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    I prefer the M1A match rifle myself, but in your case, since you have those boating accidents so frequently, not sure you'd want to spend that much on a rifle. :rolleyes:

12. electric-amish

electric-amish Seeker Seeker

Look into Spikes Tacticle or BCM-----these are some good Manufacturers and have good prices.

E-A

Irons likes this.
  13. smooth

smooth Gold Member Gold Chaser

pu308va4.gif
    Irons, no idea how much you wanna spend, but i dig rock river, and waste plenty of time on their sight. I know they are way back ordered but worth checking out. Nice guns for the money. That being said I'm sure just about everyone else that will post in this thread knows more about guns than I:cheerful:

Irons likes this.
  14. LukeNM

LukeNM Seeker Seeker

Irons likes this.
  15. Sport

Sport Gold Member Gold Chaser

Computer hack
    I can't contribute much on the AR10 side as I have very little experience with them. Personally, I have had good luck with RRA and Armalite on the AR15 side so I would probably start there. Keep the information coming as there are others of us that are curious.

Irons likes this.
  16. Eat Beef

Irons likes this.
  17. Irons

I'll be checking them out Smooth, biggest gunshop in Grand Rapids is a RRA dealer.

I'll stop in next time my wife drags me down there, they have a couple .308 shorties in stock.

smooth likes this.
  18. Irons

Our woods are thick and our rifles are all short now.

The big pretty long barreled bolt actions are sadly gathering dust. :cry_smile:

19. Bx3

If you want max accuracy, go with the GAP. The only down side is that the tolerances necessary for the sub ½ moa accuracy will not handle contractors sand (aka REPR), dirt, mud or lack of cleaning very well. If you want a ½ moa gun that can handle a little bit more of the filth in the “field conditions” department, go with an OBR. If you want an AK reliable gun that will consistently shoot in the ¾ moa range go with the REPR. I went with the REPR and am not sorry. BTW, I have had it shoot as well as 5/8 moa when the shooter is doing his job……..and not one malfunction in several thousand rounds in actual field conditions. I have also run it out to 1200 yards with consistent hits on a man sized steel silhouette. Bx3

20. Eat Beef

Irons, you need to look at the difference in velocity between 16" and 18" in 308. It's a lot. I have both and like my 18" more. On my rifles, you're giving up between 150 and 200fps for that 2 inches, which really starts to hurt at range.

BW, I'm sure the REPR is more reliable than the GAP, but the GAP is pretty dang reliable, orders of magnitude better than anything from Armalite, much less RRA or (gag) DPMS.

I wouldn't look at the 300 blackout at all, its only advantage is that it works in a standard AR15. It's pretty much a modernized 7.62x39. Not at all a bad cartridge, but when compared to a 308 we're talking stock camaro vs. corvette here.

21. Irons

I hear you my friend from Texas but this is Northern Michigan, long range in my neck of the woods is maybe 150 yards.

Our long guns are gathering dust, my customized 308 mauser with a cut down mag-na-ported barrel is the weapon of choice here along with short ported Marlin 30-30 and .444 lever rifles. Guide guns they call 'em.

Power is good, longer is just bulky and hits on branches and blinds.

22. ttazzman

ttazzman Gold Member Gold Chaser

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    Irons FWIW i have found most wife/female units really appreciate the quick adjustable stocks so they can adjust the rifles pull length to their shorter statures

I personally dislike them due to most do not give me a intuitive cheek weld

So if the wife unit is going to approve/shoot the gun you might reconsider a adjustable stock

I own a couple of older DPMS's in 308 and have had no issues......still got one new in the case as a spare :)

23. Irons

Oh no not this time! She takes all of my good guns or makes me feel guilty for using them myself.

I'm old and ornery enough this one's going to be mine, mine, mine!

Like the big Chief said, I have spoken. :smokin:

24. Eat Beef

You trying to convince her, us or yourself?

One out of three aint bad...

smooth and ttazzman like this.
  25. Bx3

Beef, not knocking the GAP or OBR by any means. They are top tier platforms and amongst the most accurate rifles available anywhere..........they are just not AK reliable. Bx3

26. shake

shake New Member

LMT MWS or OBR

27. shake

shake New Member

KAC would be the most $$$

LMT is battle proven