1. Weds am and metals are quiet after recent gains
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Weds Morning! We have Gold down 1.6 to 1211, while Silver is down 2 to 1712. Crude is off 72 to 5254. The USD is up 34 to 100.66 after recent losses.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 1/7/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1173.40-- UP 21.70 Silver $16.52-- UP 54 Oil $53.99 -- UP 27 TICS USD $102.21 -- DOWN 7 Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE 2017 $1243.95 (1), SAE $19.53 (20)
  4. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

Best cordless drill manufacture

Discussion in 'Projects, Builds, Woodworking, Metalworks' started by birddog, Nov 14, 2016.

1. birddog

birddog Gold Member Gold Chaser

The old cordless drill in on its last leg and so I am looking to buy a new cordless drill/saw set for Christmas. This will be for normal project work around the house. What manufacture do you all recommend?

Thanks!!

stonedywankanobe likes this.
  2. D-FENZ

D-FENZ Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter

Dewalt

Bigjon, Usury, birddog and 1 other person like this.
  3. Uglytruth

Uglytruth Gold Member Gold Chaser

Had great luck with Milwaukee 9.6V & Porter Cable 14.4. Radio Shack has replacement batteries about the same price as rebuilding them.

birddog likes this.
  4. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Gold Pirate Gold Chaser

disabled veteran
    DeWalt or Milwaukee are among the better ones for my money. That said, all mine are DeWalt and just this year I switched from the 18 volt to the 20 volt. The older 18 volt seems to have more torque, but it is a heavier duty hammer drill, so that might be the reason. The reason I choose DeWalt was that was what I first got several years ago in a 14.4 volt drill, it still works, just batteries are all gone bad now, and the old style batteries do not hold up like the newer lithium batteries.

birddog likes this.
  5. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

Dewalt 20 volt lithium.
    The Milwaukee 18Fuel might be a better tool, but dewalt is more common & easier to find an extra relatively cheap battery on ebay.

Usury, Professur and birddog like this.
  6. Professur

Professur Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

The Fuel is highly favoured on the tool forum I frequent

birddog likes this.
  7. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Get a refurbished Metabo. The refurb will be comparable to the others in cost as new and outperform anything else on the shelf. There is a reason you see all the trades guys with them.

birddog and D-FENZ like this.
  8. Maximus

Maximus Silver Member Silver Miner

I just bought a rigid 18 volt supposedly batteries are full warranted/ replaced, just fill out paper work and send in. We'll see in a years or so. I do plumbing, HV/AC and brick work aka I use my drill often.

9. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

I've been abusing a Bosch hammer drill and impact combo. 18v li. The little impact is a workhorse. Both drills have the most power in their class and feel great in hand.
    I've got 2 of the 4aph and 2 of the 3amp hour batteries and its alway amasing how much any one of those will do. Great drills.

Uglytruth and Silver like this.
  10. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Stay away from the Chinese units.

Lt Dan likes this.
  11. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX In God I Trust and most in GIM Gold Chaser

REMINDED me of one of my first jobs working in an Emergency Room.
    Young teen girl got her hair caught in the family farm's corn auger.
    Partially scalped her from ear to ear along the hairline and half way to the back of her head.

Doc. had her X-rayed for fractures after he felt as far as he could with his hand. No Fractures.
    He spent the rest of the shift re-attaching the "cap" back in place (fortunately it was a slow night/morning or he'd had called in a surgery team) and then had her admitted for observation until her family doctor took the case over.

Girl in video was lucky. Be interesting to find out where the hair grew back

12. Silver

Silver Gold Member Gold Chaser

I've got the Bosch drill and impact combo, great drills - and they were a good deal.

13. stonedywankanobe

This is no joke Sir Silver. I no sooner had pulled up at Lowe's and started walking in a lady walks up and say sorry to bother you sir I hope you can help. She explained she had 101 bucks on a gift card but needed gas money as she was moving, wasn't sure if believed it or not.
    Then says your the 3rd person I've talked to and everyone looks at me like I'm crazy, I'll take 40 bucks cash for it.
    I told her I'd be crazy not to help her out could I take the card in and confirm everything. Indeed it was gave her 50 and we were both overjoyed.

They had the big metal shank and collar hammer drill and the 1500ip impact on sale regular 349 for 249. So after the card gift got it for 215 or so after tax.

After using them I'd pay full price, them things are money makers.

Tell me about your deal sir.

Silver likes this.
  14. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    I like the look of Milwaukee and intend to get the full set, for now I am using cheap-o Ozito (5 year warranty!) and I have to say so far it is as good as my old Makita stuff. I will probably keep both and use the cheap-o stuff when I am hanging upside down over the side of a boat or in some other silly endeavour! Dropping the Milwaukee in the water would upset me.

Lt Dan and stonedywankanobe like this.
  15. Uglytruth

Zed tie a string on it & use it if it's fresh water. It's DC so no damage will be done.

16. stonedywankanobe

Based on the look sir?

17. ttazzman

ttazzman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma
    i have about every 18v tool dewalt makes.....and i use them beyond their design limits......saddly their drills are the weakest link of the bunch i am always stripping the nylon gears in them (ie actually useing a 1/2 metal bit in a 1/2 drill).......cant say enough good about their 1/4 impact guns though....

did see that dewalt has a adaptor now so you can use 20v batteries on a 18v tool........

Lt Dan and birddog like this.
  18. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    I have a Makita 18vdc drill. It's light, however I can't recommend it.

It locked up after a few years. I took it apart and put it back together and it magically 'worked' somehow.

I only hope it continues to function. I never expected to have to 'fix' it.

19. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    No... LOL, just the feel of the tool. It's not a common brand here but they seem better built than the Makita (to me) and they seem to stack up well in the comparison vids.

Penny for your thoughts?

20. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    Milwaukee is quality. If I get another drill it will be a Milwaukee.

birddog and Zed like this.
  21. Zed

Nuclear Technician
    Salt water... instantly kills most everything I have dropped! Especially phones!

22. BUILT TO LAST

BUILT TO LAST Gold Member Gold Chaser

Anything is good if you only use it occasionally. Light is good for overhead work. I have had most over the years & have been abusing a Hilti 14.4 volt lithium impact daily for the last eight years. I dropped it recently & the hammer action stopped working. Sent it in to Hilti & got a new tool back for a reasonable price. Everyone is coming out with the quiet drive impacts. Milwaukees version should be out in the beginning of next year.

birddog and Zed like this.
  23. stonedywankanobe

I was messin I figured you'd at least got the ol beaters on some mr.

I like Milwaukee tools. Their super orbital 13amp
    Sawsall is the finest ever made imo. They have a router that's the most comfortable I've ever used.
    I've been a part of wearing out several of their 99 dollar sawsalls, even so they pay for themselves many times over. Their old school job site radio was tuff so long as you don't let it get rained on, I did and man I miss it.

Zed, birddog and Lt Dan like this.
  24. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    Tazz, I have 3 of those adapters for converting the 18V to 20V because I have so many 18V tools and only 3 good batteries left from about a dozen of the old type that no longer hold a charge. The problem with the old type is, if you run the tool with a battery that is week or near dead, you will probably burn out the switch or even ruin the drill windings from overheating. The Lithium ion batteries just cut out when they need a recharge and voltage stays pretty much level until then. I burned the switch out on my 18V hammer drill using those old type batteries. I replaced the switch, but bought some Li-ion batteries after that.

Just another warning is in order here. If you have the battery tools that use the Li-ion batteries do not leave them on the charger after they are done charging, most cases, they charge in about an hour. Next door neighbor left his in the charger all the time, even after they were charged, burned down his workshop. He had a forklift in there, he is a small time mover and lost a lot of tools in that fire. Once the Li-ion batteries are charged, they will hold the charge for months if you do not use the tools. I do not leave batteries in the tools as the tool could potentially discharge the battery over time.

The main reason I went with DeWalt is that is what Lowe's has and so I stuck with a brand that was common to find at the time and batteries etc., were available and exchangeable from one tool to another.

Zed and birddog like this.
  25. Uglytruth

I've done this. Had luck with one & ruined the other.

Lt Dan likes this.
  26. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    I might try replacing the batteries in one of my 14.4 battery cases, not gonna zap any batteries with a mig welder.

I have enough of the new replacement batteries to do one battery case on either a 14.4 or a 18V battery case. Just do not need the 14.4 drill cuz I have 3 18V drills.

27. BUILT TO LAST

I guess Milwaukee's is out already. Strange because I called Milwaukee recently & they had no idea when it would be out & said sometime next year;

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/how-to/g2811/new-impact-drivers-quieter/

A New Breed of Impact Drivers Cuts the Noise in Half
    Hydraulic fluid to the rescue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    By Timothy Dahl
    Oct 11, 2016

Impact drivers offer the most torque and power for fastening bolts and driving screws. In addition to their higher cost, though, the main drawback to impact drivers has been their loud "rat-a-tat-tat" sound. After a few hours of using one it can drive you crazy.

A small group of new oil pulse impact drivers have been designed to cut down on the noise by at least 50 percent, as well as reduce vibration for the operator, all while performing at the same or higher level as their standard counterparts. This is done by encasing the pounding mechanism in hydraulic fluid that exerts force and reduces the amount of metal to metal contact. And there's an oil pulse driver to fit every budget and application.

1Ridgid Stealth Force 18V Brushless Impact Driver
    [​IMG]
    Our senior home editor, Roy Berendsohn, checked out the Stealth Force impact driver a few months ago and stated, "By impact driver standards, the tool is indeed very quiet." Mission accomplished for Ridgid,who claims the pulse driver is up to twice as fast as standard impact drivers. At three pounds without battery, the Ridgid is the heaviest of the tools, but it spins at max speed of 2400 rpm. The kit includes the tool, two batteries, and a charger for $179.

2Ryobi Quiet Strike 18V Pulse Driver
    [​IMG]
    The least expensive of the group, the Ryobi Quiet Strike pulse driver is $99 for the tool only, and a great addition to your Ryobi One+ collection. This tool is sufficient for light duty jobs around the house, but you wouldn't want to use it for building a deck.

3Milwaukee Tool M18 Fuel Surge Hex Hydraulic Driver
    [​IMG]
    The newest entrant in this field, the Milwaukee Tool Surge hydraulic driver is built for professional users who would appreciate an impact driver that delivers 50 percent less noise and has 3X less vibration. It's $149 for tool only, and $249 for the kit.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

4Makita 18V LXT Brushless Oil‑Impulse Impact Driver
    [​IMG]
    The Makita has been in the field for a year, and it's weight-to-power ratio is still tough to beat. This tool was designed to be used for fastening applications in occupied spaces (residential, hospitals, offices, and schools) where excessive noise can be a concern. Priced at $199 for tool only, it's the most expensive tool in the bunch. But with a stellar track record, it may be the most sought after impact here.

Zed likes this.
  28. Uglytruth

Never understood why they don't have a belt holster like a pistol & a wearable battery pack with a phone cord as an option.

29. ttazzman

ttazzman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

commercial/ industrial-construction/engineering/ma

Lt.....how do you like the adapter/20v setup? .....i recently saw them and havent bought any yet......i still have a handful of the nicad and li-ion batteries in the 18v version.........really like the 18v Li-ion ones -very light weight-charge fast-but dont last as long as the nicads on heavy work

Lt Dan likes this.
  30. Silver

I don't remember the exact price but it was on sale at Lowe's for what I think was $100 off. I've been pleased so far. I think my combo is different from yours, by the sound of it? I'm pretty much into tools and mostly have stand alone tools with a lot being old American or European, with a couple of Taiwan made Grizzle tools. Doing a complete restoration/renovation of an old gas station right now - 3300 sq feet and 11oo sq. foot courtyard.
    drill.jpg

31. stonedywankanobe

32. BUILT TO LAST

33. Silver

Your combo looks like an upgrade from my model - I'm tempted to buy it myself!

http://toolguyd.com/weekend-deal-bosch-18v-drill-and-impact-driver-combo-for-200/

34. Lt Dan

disabled veteran
    They are alright, not quite as nice as just using the regular 18V Li-ion batteries. The 20V seem to me to give a bit more speed, in tools designed for 18V. Most jobs I do are small, if I just take along one of those converters, a couple 20V batteries, I can usually get the job done before I need a charge. If I'm using circular saw, saws all, drills and torque driver, I'll take along extra batteries but usually not a charger, since those small projects may not even have electric. I've been about two screws from being done with a job here at home and had those small 20V battery packs run down, had to get down off a ladder and go get a fresh battery pack, so I have a couple of the bigger size just for longer lasting projects.

ttazzman likes this.