1. Stocks try to regain their footing, metals up
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Weds Morning! Gold is up 5.5 to 1252, while Silver is up 16 to 16.75. Crude is down 16 to 4408. The USD is down .09 to 9600
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

BITCOIN turning out to be sketchy

Discussion in 'Central Banking & Fed Reserve' started by karl_gerbschmidt, Aug 2, 2016.

1. karl_gerbschmidt

karl_gerbschmidt Seeker

2. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Stuff seems like a hackers wet dream.

gringott and mayhem like this.
  3. mayhem

mayhem Другая перспектива Silver Miner Site Supporter

Retired
    I got a couple hundred's worth when it was just below $200. Havent used any of them yet. Sure wouldn't part with my PM's for it.

andial likes this.
  4. andial

I have nothing against it have no loyalty to Federal reserve notes just think it needs more time 88.

5. Mujahideen

Mujahideen Black Member Midas Member

Bitcoin wasn't hacked, an exchange was.

What's sketchy about Bitcoin? They tell you exactly how they operate.

solarion likes this.
  6. solarion

solarion Gold Member Gold Chaser

The fact that people blame the thing that has been stolen itself, bitcoin, for the robbery is clear evidence that they do not understand what they're talking about. If my home is broken into and someone makes off with my cherished Vinny Van Gogh color by number, do I blame the painter? The canvas? Paint? No...of course not. The thief is to blame. Blaming bitcoin(an algorithm) for a theft because people stupidly park their coins at exchanges and leave them there is like blaming gold for being stolen from an armored truck.
    People do not understand bitcoin. ...and rather than get informed they'll instead parrot the same tired false narrative we've heard time and time again when crypto currencies were stolen. "BITCOIN HACKED!!!". That is not what happened. That has never happened, but it won't matter because people cannot be bothered to read past a headline.

TimoneX, bemac and Mujahideen like this.
  7. Mujahideen

If someone hacks my bank account and then writes an article saying THE DOLLAR IS SKETCHY because my bank account was hacked I would have to discount their credibility.

8. andial

I like that Bitcoin can be stolen provides a new avenue for non violent crime. Non violent criminals have to eat also.

Note: am a donator to NVCLM

gringott likes this.
  9. gringott

gringott Killed then Resurrected Midas Member Site Supporter

N/A
    The sketchy part comes from the plunge in the value of a bitcoin when some are robbed. This is the second time it happened to my memory.
    If sombody robs a bank or steals FRNs online the FRN doesn't plunge in value.

bemac and andial like this.
  10. Professur

Professur Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

2008? The banks stole plenty and it dropped like a stone.

11. solarion

I beg to differ sir. FRNs are pilfered of value 24/7 and they drop in value continuously. Bitcoin on the other hand is a deflationary currency.

You'd have to ask stupid people why they insist on parking their bitcoin on exchanges and leaving them there. I believe it's mostly laziness(don't have to create your own wallet), but I dunno for certain because my own cryptos remain in my own encrypted wallet as intended and they're never stolen.

12. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    Here comes the mandatory Bitcoin database
    Simon Black

August 3, 2016

Spoleto, Italy
    It was only a matter of time.

In the wake of multiple terror attacks, the European Commission is moving towards creating a mandatory, centralized database of Bitcoin ownership.

Of course, their official reason is that Bitcoin is being used to finance terrorism.

So for everyone’s safety and security they need even more authority to spy on people’s finances.

But the reality is that these governments have hated Bitcoin since the beginning.

They don’t like the idea of a decentralized currency that they can’t control.

In the conventional financial system, governments have the power to regulate the banks and seize any account they want.

They can use their gun-toting police agencies to confiscate citizen’s physical cash… and given the alarming rise of Civil Asset Forfeiture in the Land of the Free, it’s clear they’re not exactly shy about stealing people’s money.

But they can’t do any of that with Bitcoin.

Bitcoin is a decentralized, distributed system. It’s impossible for anyone, or any government, to control it.

So the more people use Bitcoin, the more governments lose control.

History shows us, for example, that bankrupt governments almost invariably resort to capital controls– heinous obstacles that trap people’s savings inside a decaying financial system.

We’re already seeing this across the European continent.

Many banks in Europe have restrictions on how much money you can withdraw from your own savings account.

There’s also been rapid progress towards banning physical cash altogether.

But Bitcoin is a way for people to escape these capital controls… which is why it’s such a nightmare for bankrupt governments.

You’d think that intelligent governments would embrace Bitcoin.

You’d think that, rather than fight an obvious technological trend, they would encourage the banks and monetary policymakers to integrate Bitcoin’s concepts into the financial system in order to become more competitive and innovative.

But that’s not what happens.

Bankrupt governments have a permanent scarcity mentality.

Once they enter desperation mode, their only solution is more government, more regulation, more spying, and more control.

It’s literally the exact opposite of what they should be doing.

Now, in response to all of these terrorist attacks, the bureaucrats finally have an excuse to expand their control.

So rather than getting on board with the technology and joining the 21st century, they’re going to expend resources creating a complicated regulatory framework in an attempt to neutralize the Bitcoin threat.

Here’s the good news: they’re going to fail. The technology available to us is simply too powerful.

Think about it: no matter what governments do, there’s almost always a way to defeat them thanks to modern technology.

If they try to ban the sale of firearms, we now have the ability to 3D print them.

If they engage in illegal surveillance of our emails (which they are), we have FREE, open-source encryption technology available to thwart their efforts.

If they debase their currency into oblivion and impose capital controls (which they are), we can use Bitcoin and move money into the blockchain.

And if they try to eliminate those tools, they’ll fail miserably.

Remember that a government’s power is based exclusively on threats of violence, which exist solely in the physical world.

But Bitcoin exists in the digital world where their threats of violence are useless.

There is no centralized nexus of control for Bitcoin. No individual or organization controls it. Therefore governments have no one to threaten.

That’s why they’ll fail. Our modern technology favors the individual. It favors freedom. It favors those who understand major trends and adapt to change.

https://www.sovereignman.com/trends...8fa6ac15fe06fe09ea742811a837c024bdbd96ea925fb

Mujahideen likes this.
  13. Mujahideen

That's just the law of supply and demand working. Negative press would mean less demand in the short run. What's wrong with that? That's exactly how it's supposed to work. Supply and demand, not manipulation.

Frns can be easily manipulated higher or lower as they can print more and change interests rates. Bitcoin not so much.

D-FENZ and Joe King like this.
  14. solarion

Joe King likes this.