1. Good Monday Morning, Gold holding some residual strength and at 1173 this am, while silver remains tucked under 15 at 14.94. US Dollar is gaining some traction again this am, now at 97.24, while oil is seeing selling and is at 30.12, down .77 and threatening to drop below 30 once again. Bonds again are catching a bid while US Stocks are showing all red prior to the open.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Need more resources for the Industry Links. Have some guns/ammo, preps, pm dealers, and charts, but need more to make it a go to resource and replace bookmarks. Please send me a conversation with your ideas for others we should add. TIA. Together we will make it a great resource.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 2/6/16 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1157.7 Up 41.30-- Silver $14.80 Up 56 ct-- Oil $30.89 DOWN 2.73-- USD $97.05 DOWN 2.60-- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE $1232.39 (1), SAE $18.46 (20)
  4. Please use the following for log on: www.goldismoney2.com We have moved to a new server. Please reset bookmark accordingly
  5. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

Buying the holder, NOT the coin... 1st gen NGC black holder

Discussion in 'PM's - Coins - Numis - Base Metals' started by Solo, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

Everyone is free to collect what they like, but I thought you guys would get a kick out of this:

1881-S MORGAN DOLLAR $1 MS 64 NGC CAC COLORS FIRST GENERATION BLACK HOLDER RARE (link)

firstGenNGC_holder.PNG firstGenNGC_holderObv.PNG

The above auction is over $2000 right now! You may think, big deal some Morgans are worth six figures. Well, let's look for other '81-S MS64 coins:

1881S MS64 PL Morgan Dollar ($129 BIN or make offer)
    1881-S PCGS MS64 CAC PROOFLIKE * RAINBOW PL * MORGAN Ex: COLOR COLLECTION (Also a CAC coin for $318 BIN or make offer)

There are many closed auctions for the same coin/grade, but without the CAC label, for under $100. Clearly people are paying a staggering amount for the holder and not the coin, but I'm honestly wondering why? Who would pay $2000 just to have an old holder? Can anyone explain this?

:egg:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
    HistoryStudent likes this.
  2. hernancortes

hernancortes Gold Member Gold Chaser

Some folks do collect rarely-seen slabs like those--- I have never seen one in person.
    PCGS 'rattler' and 'old green holders' and the old small ANACS holders fetch a premium because grading standards were tough back then.
    ICG standards were tough for their first couple years of existence (I have read, at least as tough as PCGS's old standards as they were founded by ex-pcgs graders) though it is harder to find their pedigree.... their old holders have the barcode on front but they continued that style well after their reputation took a hit.

Solo likes this.
  3. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Mother Lode

Silly bass turds, it's probably chinese.

4. HistoryStudent

HistoryStudent Midas Member Midas Member

I have (40 coins in two boxes PCGS) MS64 1881 "S" Morgans that I paid around $25 each for 10 years ago and just kept the damn things for fun.

SO as you may guess....

I found this extremely interesting as the "FOOLS and their money are easily separated" is aptly demonstrated in spades.

Best wishes,

~ HS

PS that SOB ain't NO MS64 either! Damn thing is a AU if a REAL anything....