1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

canning....it's on like a mofo

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by coopersmith, Aug 11, 2016.

1. coopersmith

coopersmith for fuck sake.......... Silver Miner

Its been plenty wet here this yr, the garden is a madhouse. 120 x 180', and full of produce, more yeild than weve ever seen at this place. The rain, along w the sulfur I spread w the cow shit, is kicking our asses. last 2 weeks, 3 hours per morning harvesting. Havent had to water in 3 weeks, I feel like I live in oregon.........

The rest of the day in the kitchen canning, blanching for freezing, filling dehydrators.

So far..........

canned whole jalapenos
    canned jalapeno slices
    dill pickles
    canned garlic
    dill relish
    dried yellow squash
    dried zuchini
    shredded zukes for freezing
    yellow squash for freezing
    eggplants in oil
    dried green peppers
    dried jalapenos
    roasted and frozen anaheims

The tomatoes arent quite there yet, okra on deck as well. Potatoes and carrots when we get to them. I think I fucked up as well, just sowed 300' rows x 6 fall root crops. A few watermelons so far, a few weeks on the cantalopes. Sweet corn is ready as well.

I am going to town Monday to pick up 2 18 cu ft freezers, and a pallet of jars I ordered.

The weed is looking good as well, I cant see over the top of the damn things. there is no frickin way I can smoke it all. I called a buddy and he said hed happily oil up as much as id like, for half the haul. Looks like ill be a dabhead soon, wife says becareful dont have that many braincells left to fry..........we will see.

The Lord is looking out for us. Wed be shitting in the tall cotton if wheat was worth anything, all the bins are full.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  2. coopersmith

pitw, searcher and mayhem like this.
  3. coopersmith

I didnt do too much this morning, hauled 2 loads of water to the cows, smoked a couple joints and caught my breath, im tired. After lunch we tore into the corn patch, and ended up picking about half, about 600 row ft. Just got it all cleaned, well be up most of the nite (cooler to work anyway) blanching and bagging corn on the cob for the freezers.

Traderjoe, Son of Gloin and searcher like this.
  4. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    Ahhhhhjjjjj, damm

Edit+ just the tomatieos mam just the tomatieos

5. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Delivery boy.
    Coop, you have the life, brother. Tending your garden, canning, smokin' some doob. Nice.

6. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    Wow. How did I miss this? You make me feel like a pauper except for certain items.LOL We just started the dill pickles, peas are in, raspberry jam/jelly coming out our ears, gonna have enough tomatoes to challenge heinz in the ketchup industry. Corn won't be ready for a couple more weeks but we won't be buying any of that this year either.
    Good on ya for being prepared.

Traderjoe and searcher like this.
  7. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

Sounds like hard werk but im jealous. At this point all I have is a blueberry garden plus know a guy who knows a guy on the weed thing.

8. brosil

brosil Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

We've finally put up a few tomatoes and the wife is working on a black bean and corn salsa right now. It's pretty tastey.

coopersmith, pitw and searcher like this.
  9. coopersmith

I made more dill pickles today, I could do it in my sleep.

I think ill only have to grow a few hills of cukes next yr for fresh eating, as ive canned a few years worth here this past few weeks.

pitw and searcher like this.
  10. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

I usually only do pickles every year or 3.
    They last, & it's one less spot I have to fight squash bugs.
    Corn is growing like a mother here as well.
    Got started today.
    I can't imagine how my ancestors put food up with just a hand pump outside.
    Must have been brutal.
    Here is today's stack.
    P1010011.JPG
    Goes in here dozen at a time...
    P1010012.JPG
    When I was a kid, we didn't have one of these.
    I remember mom carving corn off still hot ears with a paring knife.
    When I visited my older sisters farm & saw her using one, I figured they were rich.

P1010013.JPG

11. coopersmith

I have to go to town and get a few tires fixed, then we are going to pick and clean the rest of the corn when I get back. I got my first cantalope yesterday, its chilling now, were gonna have it with supper.

I need one of those corn chipper things, I use a knife generally.

searcher and pitw like this.
  12. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

13. pitw

Wife has one of these but doesn't like it. Now she wants to try it with the nail holding the cob.

searcher likes this.
  14. coopersmith

So whats up folks, were drunked up well here, just had an end of wheat seed cleaning party, everyone has got their ground swept and ready to drill, we got a good seed cleaner between us, got our seed wheat clean too. All us youngsters have been working hard, we decided to kick the doors off the deal.

We had a party and smoked some beef (and some grass and its derivatives). Everyone just left. I discovered bruce has better sweet corn than all of us. Even though we have our corn put up this yr, its been decided we will indeed raid bruces patch tommorow and make lots of cut corn from the cob.

This has been a real fancy year, and you can rest assured we will put a couple of 30's of key lite on bruces porch when we steal all his fancy corn tommorow.

This is the shit we live for, were not much fun until coyote season, except for the stealing.

Btw thrashed wheat isnt worth shit, half of us will be broke next yr.

Boy howdy, we love our friends.

God bless all you folks,

coopersmith

:truck2:
    :weed:
    :shit happens:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  15. Merlin

Merlin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Coopersmith, I am jealous as sin. My next door neighbor planted a tree in his back yard, which he assured me he was moving to the parkway out front when it was specimen size. Well he died before he got the job done. Now his little tree is more than 40 feet tall and so shelters my property that my garden area gets no more than 4 hours of direct sunlight each day. Can't grow squat and my gardening days are over. Sigh.

I did make potato salad this afternoon using Yukon Golds I had grown and canned back in 2009. I'm not a big fan of canned taters; but in a salad they are delicious. So I strongly encourage any of you out there who have not yet caught the bug; learn to garden and store what you grow. It's a wonderful way of life. And the eating is good!

16. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Retired Shipyard Machinist

coopersmith likes this.
  17. coopersmith

Thanks for the interest and comments everyone, we are still at it. We are making jerky this morning, and will be out in the garden this afternoon harvesting more veggies. The melons are in full swing, the cukes are slowing down (im glad). Peppers still producing like mad, and we are getting a fair amonut of tomatoes daily now. Looks like well have lots of onions for winter storage. carrots are ready to be processed when time allows. I havent even thought about potatoes yet, ill get to them later. The vines are mostly dead.

A new thing we are trying this year is cleaning bell peppers for stuffed peppers, then putting 8-10 halves in ziplocks are freezing them. I read about it somewhere so we decided to give it a try.

The weed is looking good. A month to go. A buddy just took down his lite dep house and gifted me with a big ball of finger hash. Much obliged, its tasty to say the least.

searcher and pitw like this.
  18. pitw

I took some bolts I picked up over to a neighbor this morning and she has 81 quarts of dill pickles done and picked 5 big pails of them today. Wife has 36 quarts made and I thought she was doing good.LOL The pot I know of up here is varied by a lot this year. Kinda/sorta funny how guys will ask me to leave a 40 acre patch unsprayed to save 20 square feet. I finally get them to tell me where the project is so I can keep the rest of the field clean.

coopersmith and searcher like this.
  19. coopersmith

Were back at it today, peeling and canning tomatoes, and making more freaking dill pickles. Tomatoes and peppers , okra going strong. Half the onions have fell over, and I need to get to the carrots and potatoes.

I also ordered some seed garlic and shallots for fall put out.

Busy times!

20. pitw

How many in your family? We have tomats, dills, carrots and spuds left to do.

21. coopersmith

We have 4 in our family. 2 adults and 2 growing boys, plus half the countryside stops by regularly to fill their bellies. My thoughts on the garden deal, preserve as much as possible. And you know I did fuck up, I dont have any fat hogs this fall like normal for the reject produce and grain cleanings (along with some protein), I generally fatten 3-4 every fall. You never know what shitty thing can befall you, its good to have the larder full.

What varieties of tomatoes are you running up there pit, and whens your last spring and first fall frost? I bet were not that far apart, both living on the E side of the rockies like we are. Those hills make their own weather. Im sure I get more heat units per summer season than you however.

pitw likes this.
  22. brosil

We've gone from" Wow! A ripe tomato!" to "Why won't these damn plants die?" Canning Habenero Gold and Lemon Jellies today.

23. pitw

Wife and I both grew up in houses where the pantry/cold room were kept full as one never knew if one was ever gonna get to find food for a months. We feed two lads as well one now 6'1" and a 15 year old that is 6'5" that eats for three. Wife told me in no uncertain terms I was not allowed a couple hogs this summer as we have 4 deep freezes full of meat and near 60 chickens yet to butcher[I ain't let her in on the fact a buddy's kid is raising 6 and 1 is mine as I won't eat barn raised pork].
    Tomatoes are Heinz, Russian, Manitoba and Zaley. Spuds are Pontiacs and netted gem this year as the wife likes Pontiacs for making the best lefsa. We eat bland compared to you Southern fellas as we grow very mild peppers.
    Average frost dates are May 15th and September 1. I'm sure you get more heat units and have way more air conditioning units too. I'm also sure we get more daylight hours in the summer up here and the fact we have way more days below freezing means we have few snakes and not much homeless folk roaming our area:2 thumbs up:.

searcher and coopersmith like this.
  24. coopersmith

Brosil, I know the feeling this time of yr I always anticipate the first freeze, I get tired of dealing with the garden after awhile.

Pit im the same way with pretty much all meat, I dont like the store stuff, I dont trust it. Whats a lefsa?

Were not too far off on freeze dates. May 20 and Sept 20 here. Kind of suprises me, since im much further south.

25. coopersmith

So we roasted a bushel of Hatch green chilis tonite and have them bagged and cooling for the freezer. I like me some chili rellanos and green chili. It smells real good round here about now.

26. brosil

I believe a lefsa is a potato pancake. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

27. coopersmith

If its a potato pancake were gonna need the recipe.....I love them things. We have been making patties w shredded zuchini lately and they are good as well.

28. pitw

Sorry I am tardy with my response. Here is a post I made years back on another forum as I can't use the search function enough to find it on this one.

We don't have a holiday today but we are making holiday type food [for us]. Lefsa is a Norwegian dish and I'm sure you guy's/gal's have a similar type of food.
    4 cup's riced potatoe's
    1/3 cup margarine
    1/2 cup fresh cream
    2 cup's flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp sugar
    Mix together until not sticky and is smooth like pastry dough. Roll out golf size ball's of dough until very thin. Cook on 400F griddle until brown spot's appear. Place in a pile under towel until cool until bagging. They must be done this way or they will dry out to a hard piece of leather.

We lather them with butter and place brown sugar on, then roll up and enjoy. [can't beat them straight off the griddle but are great later as well.
    Lefsa house in Camrose sell's these for $9.50 a pound and they are not as good as our's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. coopersmith

That right there looks like a potato tortilla. Or a crepe, which I am familiar with having spent time in the czech republic when I was younger.

I wonder howd they be with some baked apple or pumpkin rolled up inside, w some nutmeg, allspice and honey?

My boy would put jalapenos and pulled pork in it, of which I wouldnt approve.

Thanks for the recipe pit. Well give er a go.

pitw and brosil like this.
  30. pitw

I think they are great with anything in them, but I sure as [L] ain't never tried peppers.

31. pitw

I think they are great with anything in them, but I sure as [L] ain't never tried peppers.

32. coopersmith

Its still going damnit, its meant to freeze in a few weeks, that will be ok. Canning tomatos, okra, peppers are still going strong. Wife has taken to going down to the farmers market last few weeks, coming home with $100 or so for her 3-4 hrs of effort. Damn root crops still need dug, onions are done big ones this yr. The weed harvie has been stupid. What a time eater trimming is.

It needs to freeze soon. We have cattle to get off grass, milo to cut, wheat is drilled. I also got all my firewood put up. All my winter fence is built.

When the time comes I wanna be able to go shoot coyotes without a bunch of homework. I am getting there. Trapping season is just around the corner.

I am about so tired I could fall over, winter better get here soon or ill crap out.

pitw, searcher and Merlin like this.
  33. .375

.375 Silver Member Silver Miner

I love lefsa with turkey, potatoes, stuffing, and gravy. A midwestern burrito!

I never made it though.

34. pitw

Got the weed put up a couple weeks back. Still have spuds, carrots and beets to shine. Water well pump blew up yesterday so I put in a bigger one after blowing out the hole with air. Saw 18 coyotes on Tuesday going down South to spray a 1,000 for a fellow. Got more geese than I can shake a stick at and the boys got 50 yesterday morning.

35. coopersmith

Looking real good here, weed harvie done. I have potatoes and carrots to dug for the cellar, early test diggings look good.

Hay stacked, cows looking good, fresh weed to smoke. The boy is kicking ass in HS football.

Looks like well make it thru another winter, God willing it ought to work out nicely.

We start killing coyotes the day after halloween.