1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Cash Transactions Banned by Louisiana

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Brio, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Brio

Brio Midas Member Midas Member

This summer, the State Legislature and Governor of Louisiana passed a law that bans individuals and businesses from transacting in cash if they are considered a "secondhand dealer". House Bill 195 of the 2011 Regular Session (Act 389) broadly defines a secondhand dealer to include "... Anyone, other than a non-profit entity, who buys, sells, trades in or otherwise acquires or disposes of junk or used or secondhand property more frequently than once per month from any other person, other than a non-profit entity, shall be deemed as being in the business of a secondhand dealer. " The law then states that "A secondhand dealer shall not enter into any cash transactions in payment for the purchase of junk or used or secondhand property. Payment shall be made in the form of check, electronic transfers, or money order issued to the seller of the junk or used or secondhand property

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/2...nt-Takes-Private-Property-Without-Due-Process

Malus, Tinbox, phideaux and 1 other person like this.
  2. Nickelless

Nickelless If coffee is gold, I own Fort Knox Midas Member

How did this nonsense pass the legislature? A check can be even more worthless than FRNs if there are no funds to back it.

Tinbox likes this.
  3. Brio

I'm thinking it's about collecting taxes on the transactions. And tracing any purchase made.

[​IMG]

4. Mantokir

Mantokir Silver Member Silver Miner

1 down.... 49 to go

or is it 56?

5. argentos

argentos Former Boat Owner Gold Chaser

Retired
    Over here we are plagued by people stealing copper wire from railway signalling, lead from church roofs, copper plumbing from empty houses and even bronze memorials and plaques from cemetaries - which they sell to unscrupulous dealers.

I have some sympathy for anything that might help stop this trade. However the compulsory videographing of all customers and transactions would be more useful than compulsory cheques.

Pyramid and Aurumag like this.
  6. DodgebyDave

DodgebyDave Metal Messiah Midas Member

I don't mind a bit. I just plain don't give two large doe turds what these bastards put on paper.

I am having a miserable friday, complete with coughing hacking rainy nasty adjectives and verbs. I will not waste good hate and loathing on anything other than my sinus and my father.

It has come though, any Gimers need me and my rifle, just gimme a minute to get ready.

7. voodoo1951

voodoo1951 Silver Member Silver Miner

They will have to change the wording on those FRN's from "ALL" to "SOME"...WTF?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  8. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

Well, there goes my estimation of Gov Bobby G. as a decent person.
    I'm sure this law was passed to fight the fencing of stolen property, but the big hammer will be selectively used to smack citizens such as flea marketers whenever the LEOs feel like it.

Tinbox, Malus, WhyKnow and 1 other person like this.
  9. Solo

Solo Midas Member Midas Member

Trust me we have the same issues here. We've even had brass Civil War cannons stolen from battlefields to be turned into scrap :(. This bill is not addressing the metal recycling business specifically, but rather every type of 'second-hand' business in the state. Most municipalities here state-side have passed ordinances regarding metals. I scrap part-time, although I do it less and less frequently as competition is nutz, so I've been directly effected by the changes made here in my county. However the new laws passed in my area specifically deal with the subject matter in question. Passing a law like this with such broad umbrella like coverage just to address the metal theft would be like using TNT to remove a nail stuck in a 2x4.

This bill is truly a big deal IMO. Is there anyone here in LA that is active in the tea party groups down there? Did this bill pass completely under the radar? Surely they were talking about it on the AM radio dial at the time. If you want to read the actual law, click here. Here is the key text:

The law was clearly modified to be aimed towards the metal recycling business, but the part I put in bold above will allow this law to be applied to d@mn near anything you can think of. Maybe it's because I trade in scrap metal, PM's, and old antiques too, but this law has my blood boiling and I'm not even in the state. IT'S OUTRAGEOUS :mad::mad::mad:!

Pyramid, kerdasi amaq, Malus and 8 others like this.
  10. TheSilverTiger

TheSilverTiger New Member

Silver Hoarder

Ragnarok likes this.
  11. Ragnarok

Ragnarok I'd rather be Midas Member

What?? No more garage sales in Louisiana?!

So when are the feds going to smack Louisiana for shunning US legal tender?

If they don't, I fear all transactions between any persons/business entities will soon fall under "traceable" legislation.

R.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
    Usury likes this.
  12. curmudgeonista

curmudgeonista Banned

I'm with Brio on the sales tax thing.

If you've ever cruised the countryside in the south you'll see hundreds of "yard sales" that are really permanent businesses that these folks make their living from. Between that sort of thing, and craigslist, fleamarkets, roadside fruit & vegetable stands, and who knows whatall... not to mention the scrap metal business included... there's a good bit of under-the-radar retail going on that the state has a tough time collecting sales tax on. I suspect taking the State's pound of flesh is the main thrust of the bill. Tracing those involved in selling stolen merchandise may have been considered in it as a side issue.

Let's face it. Gov't at all levels is looking for ways to increase revenues in this economic downturn. Cops in a lot of jurisdictions are under directives to write more traffic tickets. Traffic-light cameras generate big numbers too. I don't believe for one second that's about increasing public safety. It's strictly a not-so-hidden tax increase. I'm sure you guys can come up with hundreds of other examples of gov't nickel & diming us to death.

I'm not saying I agree with Louisiana's methodology here... it's absurd. Just that I'm not surprised. It's all about the money. It almost always is.

Pyramid likes this.
  13. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater
    This is nothing more then a tax ploy hiding in language to disguise it as an attempt to curb theft.

14. Triop

Triop New Member

Government and their 'laws' are the illusion used as window dressing for an agenda of control (ownership). This puts the sheeple one step closer to a cashless society where there is no anonymity in buying or selling. I guess the all seeing eye of Mordor across the Potomac isn't all seeing and needs traceable transactions.

silverblood likes this.
  15. Rollie Free

Rollie Free Midas Member Midas Member

Then the authorities in Lousiana need to deal with these faux garage sales. This is the classic Steve Martin line about solving two problems at once; parking violations and overpopulation, hence, the death penalty for parking tickets.

This is so over the top and a way of saying that the LA police force doesn't have the ability to do their job. Really? I can't buy a $50 lawn mower with cash? What a bunch of nonsense. So you're telling me that the police can't handle fricken garage sales running permanently but they will be able to handle all cash transactions. As Cool Hand Luke's boss once said, we doing this fo yo own good.

curmudgeonista likes this.
  16. Triop

Triop New Member

Yea, it's pretty crappy. It's not just in your type of business, but it's also happening in small independent food businesses too. Every year there are more and more controls being added with some sort of excuse for protecting someone or something. Makes one wonder how anyone ever survived without these 'needed' laws for 100s of years.

17. arminius

arminius Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

420 healer
    :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Good luck with that...

18. Malus

Malus Gold Chaser Platinum Bling

irrelevant
    We gonna start seeing debit machines at the lemonade stand now....... Time for words is over.

19. GOLDZILLA

GOLDZILLA Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus Midas Member

Just drive across state line and sell elsewhere.

earplugs likes this.
  20. andial

andial Sir Midas Member Site Supporter ++

This law is not about protection against theft as there is WAYmore credit and debit card theft going on than metal scraping theft. This is about FRN's being WAY to useful for confidential purchases. One day only the metals will be the way to make a confidential purchase. JMHO

21. Irons

Irons Deep Sixed Site Supporter Mother Lode

Dumb a##es and thier ridiculous laws, the harder they push the less cash they collect as more and more people go out of thier way to avoid paying.

It's always been that way these maroons are just incapable of learning.

22. Rollie Free

And the less funds they collect the more they'll come up with ridiculous laws. Its a vicious circle.

23. Brio

There's a second profit motive too.

How much do banks make on each debit or credit card transaction? :s10:

24. Silver Art

Silver Art Silver Art Bar collector Platinum Bling

Silver Art Bar Hoor
    I would ask Obama. :flute:

25. AgAuGal

AgAuGal Founding Member Founding Member Site Mgr Site Supporter

looks like there is room for the Treasury to add "Except in Louisiana"

Never thought Louisiana would be the first state to develope a prosperous black market. Another example of legislation from political leadership without vision (or it appears even the basic ability to anticipate the consequences of their actions - knuckleheads).

26. AgAuGal

AgAuGal Founding Member Founding Member Site Mgr Site Supporter

Ya mean like a right to privacy.

27. 138

138 Seeker Seeker

Law like this are just another leap toward a completely cashless society where every transaction can be monitored, taxed, or otherwise scrutinized. It's been less obvious in the past like the latest tv ad about how difficult it is to split a dinner tab using cash, "much easier to use a Chase card via your smartphone". But now they're not even trying to hide it.

Years ago I used to think my grand-dad was old fashioned and weird with his stories from Revelation about not being able to buy or sell without the mark of the beast. Now I'm not so sure...

28. arminius

arminius Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

420 healer
    They are attempting to drive a wedge between the private, and the public. The public obviously being what will benefit the corporation, and the private being that which is our unalienable right to contract, and that right comes from much further back in time of the equitable lawful conduct and contract of our race, and is reflected in the aspirations of our founding fathers.

Know who you are. Know that your appellation ALL CAPITOL LETTER NAME that you must use if you engage in commerce under public policy legal system of legal fiction is not you. It is a CESTUI QUE TRUST created for you to do business in the commercial system. Corporations can only do business with corporations under public policy, and the bankruptcy.

The CESTUI QUE TRUST is real, and know that you are the executor/executrix and beneficiary of that trust. That the trust is not yours, and you never claim it, if you have any sense, but you are the heir to it in a legal system mortgaged by our legal fiction death. You are the administrator of the Office of the Executor/Executrix if you so seem, and thereby control the finances, as well as the direction of it. And since you are the beneficiary of the trust, you can reap the benefits, if you know how. However simply knowing what your position is, will suffice for you to begin to gain in understanding, and control of the trust

They, any and all corporations, which include all federal, state, county, municipal and other private corporations, PERSONS, masquerading as public entities and specifically any and all so called public officials, are the trustees. The trustee is the one responsible for any and all payments due, and must by trust law follow the directives of the executor/executrix.

The problem is, the fraud is, that they want, and do claim they are the beneficiary surreptitiously, and that they are the administrator of that trust, and the obvious benefit to their coffers is obvious. Picture huge parasitic growth upon the general unknowledgeable herd of humans, until the host collapses. Nice system, right. Every time some PERSON, acting under color of law, the legal fiction, masquerading as public entities attempts to contract with you with a presumption of statute, you are not liable to it unless you consent to it. They may and will huff and puff and bluff, but if you know who you are, and know who they are, and are not afraid of them, they will never prevail. Never.

29. honu5050

honu5050 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

nunya
    wouldent want to brake the law some politican should stamp not good in louisiana on the money.

30. Bryzantium

Bryzantium New Member

I'm from the Great State of Louisiana (Shreveport AREA) and this is the first im hearing of it. Ill swing by the parish seat and talk to my representatives office and see what the deal is. There is simply no way this passed with no one knowing about it with such an overwhelming vote. Ill post something back when I get in touch with them.

Cajuncoin likes this.
  31. gonzo

gonzo Gold Member Gold Chaser

Used to be right about 44 cents per, paid by the merchant, the feds capped it at 22 cents (right around there) last week which is why Bank of America is now charging consumers 5 dollars a month to use a B of A debit card. The feds capped it but the loss is being passed on to the consumer.

32. JoBob

JoBob Seeker Seeker

......Duh!

33. GodspeedMetals

GodspeedMetals Gold Member Gold Chaser

CASH is a four letter word!!

34. Rollie Free

Prisoner 1: Whatcha in for?

Prisoner 2: Sold a lawnmower

Prisoner 1: What you say? You mean you STOLE a lawnmower.

Prisoner 2: No, I mean what I say, I sold a lawnmower and accepted cash.

Prisoner 1 moves away mumbling "don't want to mess with that dude".

Solo and GOLDZILLA like this.
  35. honu5050

honu5050 Mother Lode Found Mother Lode

nunya
    the feds are full of crap anyway & can afford to loose a lot of CRAP !

36. Bryzantium

Bryzantium New Member

Sorry for the late reply.
    Turns out this is all true. My reps secretary basically said Its for the bad guys it will never be used one regular people. Also turns out my rep doesnt care about my opinion because she cant be reelected and we vote for a new rep this weekend. This is not over if they enforce it this will be thrown out.

Solo likes this.
  37. silverblood

silverblood Gold Member Gold Chaser

Only if you are a secondhand dealer as defined in the law. If you are an individual buying a lawn mower not as part of a business that deals in secondhand goods, then yes, you can. But you can't sell your lawn mower to a pawn broker or to a lawn mower repair business for cash. They are restricted from paying you in cash. Get it?

38. silverblood

You don't think you were paying for it anyway? How would that fee, paid by the merchant, NOT be a cost of business that is passed on to you when you purchase anything from the merchant, regardless of how you paid for it? Now at least you can choose not to pay it by not using your debit card. I'd call that an improvement.

39. Cajuncoin

Cajuncoin Seeker Seeker

7 D.
    Lots of oilfield and industrial stuff here in Louisiana getting their stuff stole and no way to trace it. Relax, its a way to stop back yard junk dealers who operate outside the law here. The purpose of the id of the sellers and who can afford to give a false name if they can't cash the check?

Link to the Law, direct from the legislature.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdata/streamdocument.asp?did=760886

Cajuncoin Bon soir

40. silverblood

But, as usual, the law paints too broad a stroke, having consequences far beyond the supposed intent. What of privacy and the right to dispose of your own property as you see fit?