1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Chicken killing dog

Discussion in 'Survival (Preps & Homestead)' started by ABC123, Dec 1, 2016.

1. ABC123

ABC123 Silver Member Silver Miner

I've got a problem....to make a long story short I have a dog who killed at least 1 chicken this morning, and has attacked 2 others in the past. It seems she did something unthinkable; eating through the chicken wire of the run. I realized all this just as I was sipping my morning joe and hear a heart stopping garble of chicken in obvious death throes just outside my front door.

After an ass cutting out of rage, which doesnt seem to work as the dog in question is the recipient of multiple ass cuttings, I have to finish off the poor feathered creature in the only way i know how: putting the shovel over its neck and decapitation. Ugh. We've had this dog for almost a year. Overall shes a sweet dog but with terrible bad habits that we inherited.

All the chickens got out and there is still 3 missing birds out of a flock of 21. This is stress I dont need.

Is there anything that can cure the dog or is she a lost cause? Im ready to take her to the pound.

stonedywankanobe likes this.
  2. chrisflhtc

chrisflhtc Site Supporter Site Supporter

Once they kill it's all over, they have tasted blood. I have never known one to stop.
    Chris

3. stAGgering

stAGgering Silver Miner Seeker

Chickens are expensive to lose.
    Dogs more so unless from the pound.
    Ass whoppin' usually does not work, just alpha's your position further.
    I'd contact, if dog loved, electric necklace company rep, dog therapist, & invisible fence company(underground).
    If dog going through fence to kill, you got a killer.
    I'd try red pepper powdered dead chicken tied around neck, then sprinkled by chicken fence.
    A dog is a dog, unless trained otherwise.
    Most balance the equation of given equals return.
    With 7 yr old verbal, hand sign trained, vole killing, mouse killing, chicken protector, 55lb female, blk lab, dogs can become equals.
    She is demanding, swims, food, walks, towel torture, brush me, and attention.
    Such a bad dog she is, a stinkin' love machine with a tail.
    We did cover her literally and repeatedly with chicks, really for the chicks.
    She licked 'em and they are friends.
    On command she will coral them and pin them to ground if needed.
    I wish you luck in saving, a lot of work to be done.

stonedywankanobe and ABC123 like this.
  4. mtnman

mtnman Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Retired Shipyard Machinist
    This has been done many times and it works. Take the dead chicken and using a stout rope tie the chicken under the dogs neck. Tie it securely so shaking won't budge it and close enough that the dog can't get hold of it. Leave it there till it rots off (a week or two). That dog will never go around another chicken.

5. TN_Preacher

TN_Preacher Silver Member Silver Miner

Too bad. I lost my last 5 chickens about 2 months ago to a bobcat. They were fenced in with 5 ft chicken wire and had multilevel electric line up to 1 1/2 ft high around the perimeter (mainly for possums and coons.) Bobcats can jump, so a 5 ft fence is not an issue for them. You might try the electric fence. I used a "electric fence charger" that was made for cattle and I measured about 1500 volts on my line. Also, you might try a 2"x4" mesh fence (either inside or outside the chicken fence), as they are heavier gauge and dogs won't chew through them.

6. mtnman

My dogs eat raw chicken and lick up the blood. They kill and eat rabbits almost daily in the summer. Never have they bothered my live chickens. Training works.

7. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Midas Member Midas Member

I feel for you!

stonedywankanobe and ABC123 like this.
  8. ABC123

So tie the chicken to the dog collar under the neck? Do you tie the dog up outside to a post or fence her in (dont have a secure fenced in area at the moment)?

Do you continue to feed the dog its regular schedule? We feed twice a day.

Sigh this will be messy......

9. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

So you're thinking a mobile corpse that's used to following you around is going to present a problem?

ABC123 likes this.
  10. ABC123

LOL

I'm just trying to get this shit straight before I actually do this.....sounds nasty!

11. pitw

pitw Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter

Custom pesticide applicator.
    I've shot more than a few dogs that ate chickens. Not just my own but others as well. My chickens run free and the dog is supposed to protect them and not be the problem. Training is key. The dead chicken tied to the dog does actually work on some animals. There is no one answer for all situations. Had one dog for 18 years that only killed one chicken and I soetimes wonder if that damb chicken didn't have it coming. Had others that would kill a chicken and then after the training did it again. Had one dog who let chicks crawl all over him that suddenly decided at 3 years old to kill 14 birds[would have been more but he quit].
    Luck with whatever yoiu try.

12. solarion

solarion Gold Member Gold Chaser

This is the only thing that ever worked for me as well. Yeah...it got pretty nasty, but as mentioned, after they get a taste for blood it's near impossible to break them of it and then you're left with either putting the dog down or losing a chicken or three every time you aren't staring directly at him/her. Good luck.

ABC123 likes this.
  13. stonedywankanobe

stonedywankanobe Gold Member Gold Chaser

Coons are a big problem for folks around here.
    A good friend of mine lost 16 birds in 3 days last summer. Gene is 83 years young but has to wheel himself around on a powered chair and just wasn't fast enough to do anything about it.
    Another neighbors dog that roams got my retired fighting bird awhile back. He was the undisputed featherweight County champ named Cocky Balboa.
    No match for a fine hunting dog though.

historyrepete and ABC123 like this.
  14. ABC123

Ok the deed is done. Shes tied to a post out back. Has the most pitiful look on her face. Hope it doesnt get too cold for her but punishment is punishment!

Was thinking that as the bird starts to get ripe she will probably lose all appetite for regular food? I dont know dogs eat some nasty stuff... Should I put some food out for her in the morning? Does that send mixed signals?

S'pose to get down to 37 tonight and rain next week. Guess I could put up a little pop up tent to shelter from the rain.

15. mtnman

Yes tie it to the collar under the neck. I've never tied up a dog so I guess the answer would be no don't tie it to a post. Inside a fenced area would be OK. It stinks, it's nasty and it looks like hell but it works. I can see no reason to change the feeding schedule, the dog probably won't eat for a few days though.

TAEZZAR, Son of Gloin and ABC123 like this.
  16. mtnman

I wouldn't tie the dog to a post. Just let it run normal. I forgot to ask, is this an inside dog? if so all the info I gave is wrong for an inside dog. If the dog is an outside dog just let it run like it normally does. Don't keep it from its doghouse.

17. glockngold

Ok,
    Pics please.

18. ABC123

Its an in and out dog...comes in at night but is free to run around most of the day. I hate to tie it to a post too, but im afraid of letting her be free all night. Had problems in the past with her having TOO much freedom and she winds up in the road or across the street. Stupid dog has 1000 plus acres of woods all around us and wants to cross the street.

Been meaning to get the dogs a pen and dog houses, just hasnt been a priority and money is tight.

19. ABC123

Dam dog is an escape artist. So she escaped off the rope tied to the post somehow. Remembered I had a chain and tied her up in the old chicken coop which is closer to the house buts at least now she has shelter.

upload_2016-12-1_17-22-17.png

20. Zed

Zed Size doesn't count! Midas Member

Nuclear Technician
    LOL... I miss read the title, kinda expected to see a vid of a chicken killing a dog. :D

:shit happens:

:popcorn:

21. glockngold

Awesome!
    Give use daily updates.

ABC123 likes this.
  22. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    Not having a fence is a problem, however, I have know of a dog who ate a chicken and they tied the dead chicken around the dogs neck using bailing wire (it won't break or come off) until the chicken rotted off the dog.

Dog never touched another chicken again!

Mind you, this wasn't a 'house dog', especially with that rotting carcass around it's neck.

I wouldn't tie her to a post. Feed her. It's like leading a horse to water... they drink when they're thirsty.

You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think...

historyrepete and ABC123 like this.
  23. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Modal Operator/Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Tech
    ABC123 likes this.
  24. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    Have the dog for dinner and the chickens will be safe

pitw likes this.
  25. pitw

Good gosh man are dogs stat out at -40+ so I'm guessing at 37F even an American dog will survive. I ain't sure it's the rotting of the chicken that does any good or just the inconvenience of having it around the neck. Sounds like you need to either be like me and have no neighbors or train your dog to stay to home.
    Good luck and for gosh sakes, have fun.

ABC123 likes this.
  26. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

I've had to do this - IT WORKS !!

here is the results

TAEZZAR & BIRDS  11 MAY 2007 018 (Large).jpg

pitw, Goldhedge and ABC123 like this.
  27. ABC123

Thats a beautiful picture TAEZZAR.

TAEZZAR likes this.
  28. TAEZZAR

TAEZZAR LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH Midas Member Site Supporter

A bitter sweet story.

We were losing about a chicken a week last April & May. Then we lost all the rest, 9, in one day, except our rooster, Roostie ( a fine specimen of a rooster). One was partially eaten & the rest were murdered & left whole.
    Neighbors think it was a weasel, fox or coon. We have'm all.
    Now for the rest of the story.
    Roostie was feeling down & lonesome, sitting high on his perch in the coup. I got to feeling sorry for him.
    I asked the neighbor if I could bring Roostie over to see their "girls". They said sure, we would like to have a rooster for our girls. So I took him over to meet the girls.
    All went very well, so well that we thought Roostie would stay there, but our neighbors feared that the girls would follow Roostie to our place.
    Nether happened.
    Every night Roostie would come home to his perch in his coup. AND each morning he would trek over to see the girls for the day.
    In the middle of June, we left for the coast for our fishing time. The neighbors watched our place & reported that they were starting to have baby chickies.
    Then in Aug. we got a sad call, Roostie had wandered onto the street & got smashed by a logging truck.

Moral of the story:
    If you have chickens, be prepared for them to meet their demise, one way or another.

Roostie with some of the girls

Roostie..jpg

29. ABC123

Morning Update:

Go out to bring the girl some food and the only thing left tied around her neck is the chicken feet. The dog is incorrigible. A scavenger extraordinaire and as agile as the wildest beasts.

Seems this is a lost cause. Shame because we have another dog, a German Sheppard, who is best buds with the mutt. The Sheppard was my late fathers dog and extremely loyal.

I hate this part but I guess theres no other way than bring her to the pound. Sad.

30. the_shootist

the_shootist I self identify as a black '69 Camaro Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Architect
    You can't save them all my friend

ABC123 likes this.
  31. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford Midas Member Midas Member

wastewater
    The electric fence will work I am positive. Run the cable through the chicken wire and get the stubborn dog collar (not the one that comes with kit and uses a watch battery).

You can set the boundary to about 10 feet. At 11ft dog gets an audible warning. At 10 and closer it shocks non-stop. If dog tolerates continuous 9volt zaps to throat as it digs or eats through wire, then it's a lost cause. But I know my 80 lbs boxers got lit up 1 time, pissed themselves as it happened and have never left our yard since. Heck don't even put collars on tgem after trained good. And don't think about the cost for just this dog. My fence is 12 years old and been used on three dogs. I imagine you would likely get a new dog at some point and would be wise to start that one out on the collar day 1.

Think about your other dog. Losing a buddy can be debilitating to him.

Getting a rescue or pound dog is a crap shoot and why I will always get puppies that are mine to train.

TAEZZAR and ABC123 like this.
  32. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

Delivery boy.
    Don't take her to the pound. She might end up euthanized. It'll take a little time, but you can find her a home that doesn't keep chickens.

TAEZZAR, ABC123 and mtnman like this.
  33. mtnman

I agree no pound for the dog. How would you like being locked in a cage for doing what comes natural? Take the time to train the dog. It can be done and I'm guessing it won't be too hard with such a smart dog. Dogs are pack animals, you are a BIG part of the pack as is your GSD. There will be much sorrow if you break the pack. Chickens are cheap and you can never have pity on a chicken, If chickens were the size of humans, humans would be extinct.

34. pitw

I agree that taking the dog to the pound is the wrong decision but for a different reason. I was brought up to take care of my mad dogs as giving it to someone else is just passing the buck.

35. coopersmith

coopersmith for fuck sake.......... Silver Miner

We have the same idea here pit, id just get it over with. I hate doing it as well, but it what needs to be done IMO.

pitw likes this.
  36. TAEZZAR

mtnman, You have been watching too many B grade movies !! LOL

food of the GODS.jpg

ABC123 likes this.
  37. 90%RealMoney

90%RealMoney Midas Member Midas Member

Makes me miss my Dobies. Nice pics Taz!

TAEZZAR likes this.
  38. michael59

michael59 heads up-butts down Platinum Bling

20 years logging
    Ok, I can't take it any more, fuck.

So you have these birds penned up, right? Then protect the pen. If you let your dog run and she is chewing through the wire run a lead off of your one ten you know the hot side. Just run that lead insulated of course around the wired pen where the dog can chew through and problem solved. Sure if it shorts your breaker will pop but if your dog makes it through this then they will never ever chew through that pen/coop again. And, if they don't then it's problem solved.

Look bud you don't have to purchase a 300 dollar 20 mile fencer when a twenty dollar spool of insulated wire along with a few fiberglass sticks will do. I'm sure you have a light in this coop, if not run a circuit out there for one. Put a lead with a switch on it out for your predator fence so you can on off it.

Look I have had grown hounds that squat to pee because I lined my pen with a fencer to keep them in.

The way I see it is that some dogs kill because they chase, fine. They keep killing because that stupid chicken is a dinosaur and just won't die, it keeps moving.

You know chickens and porkies.....add dogs and its a sweat story.

ABC123 and TAEZZAR like this.
  39. TAEZZAR

We miss her so much that we can't get another one. We think we could never get one so loveable & trainable. It wouldn't be fair to
    the new Dobie to put that expectation on her/him. She was pure love !!

IDK if she really killed the chicken on purpose or by accident, but after tying the dead chicken around her neck for 2 days, she NEVER hurt another animal of any kind.

Another pic of TAEZZAR, she helped raise these ducklings.

TAEZZAR & BABY'S.JPG

ABC123 and Son of Gloin like this.
  40. mtnman

Nope, I get my theories from life. I keep chickens and I see what they are capable of. You do know chickens are cannibalistic don't you?

TAEZZAR likes this.