1. Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There are no markets
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 6/24/2017 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1256.40 Silver $16.64 Oil $43.01 USD $96.94
  4. "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"
    Dismiss Notice

Chinese rival to Boeing takes to the air for the first time

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Bottom Feeder, May 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Gold Chaser Site Supporter

The first large airliner designed and built in China took to the air in Shanghai on its maiden flight at 11:00 p.m. PST Thursday, a significant milestone in the country’s ambitions to become a power in commercial aviation and to begin to challenge the longstanding duopoly of Airbus and Boeing.

The C919, built by the Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China (COMAC), is roughly the size of the Boeing 737 MAX 8 and the Airbus A320neo.

Launched nine years ago and now running three years late, the C919 jet won’t enter service until 2019 or 2020.

The Airbus neo is already in service and has won more than 5,000 orders. And the Boeing MAX, which is due to enter service later this month with Malaysian carrier Malindo Air, has just over 3,700 orders.

...the C919 is about 4 percent heavier than the two Western jets in the same configuration, which will make it less efficient.

However, the Chinese jet does feature modern avionics and other aircraft systems supplied by major Western suppliers, including GE, Honeywell, United Technologies and Rockwell Collins.

Richard Aboulafia, industry analyst with the Teal Group, believes that the central planning element and lack of any competition in the Chinese aerospace manufacturing economy inevitablly will doom the C919 to mediocrity and unprofitability.

The Chinese government will likely lose money on the C919. The big question for Airbus and Boeing is how quickly it can follow up with another jet that’s more of a threat.

http://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ing-737-and-airbus-a320-set-for-first-flight/

Oh oh, looks like more losing for America. Boeing is one of our last heavy equipment manufactures that brings money to the US. I can remember when AirBus first started up, now look at it - it gets about half the airline orders in the world. With this chicom government supported airliner manufacturer the shares are soon going to be 33%.

BF

2. the_shootist

the_shootist The war is here on our doorstep! Midas Member Site Supporter ++

Oxygen Breather
    I wouldn't fly in them. I have lots of Made in China stuff and I don't trust my life to any of it. I don't see myself starting now.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    mtnman and GOLDBRIX like this.
  3. Howdy

Howdy Silver Member Silver Miner

The "rival" is probably owned by the same group who owns Boeing. I suspect most rivalries between international corporations are staged for our entertainment.

madhu likes this.
  4. Goldhedge

Goldhedge Moderator Site Mgr Site Supporter

Retired
    I bet they sell for less than Boeing planes...

FoundingFathers likes this.
  5. nickndfl

nickndfl Midas Member Midas Member Site Supporter ++

If they are Chinese copies of Boeing or Airbus models I expect some to go missing, but ain't nobody going to blame terrorism.

Zed likes this.
  6. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

I remember when made in Japan was synonymous with cheap junk, and nobody would risk their life trusting any of it.

Thecrensh likes this.
  7. Bottom Feeder

“Here’s your problem – It’s made in Japan”
    “Japan? They make all the good stuff.”
    Back to The Future

BF

8. viking

viking Silver Member Silver Miner

I'd worry more about being flown around by Chinese pilots than equipment.

Flight2gold likes this.
  9. Flight2gold

Flight2gold Silver Member Silver Miner Site Supporter ++

pilot
    Heck yeah they'll sell for less....they'll be subsidized to the hilt just like Airbus.
    4 % more weight is a lot when your talking fuel savings.
    Boeing stated they don't expect competition from the Chinese until 2030.

10. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

CRASHED at 11:10pm :belly laugh:

mtnman and Bottom Feeder like this.
  11. tom baxter

tom baxter back from 2004

Retired now
    That's a tired old meme that needs to die, that China will morph into Japan quality wise. They wont because the meme takes no account of the cultural differences that are at the core of both cultures. The Japanese are bound by pride and Duty, the Chinese by their love of money. Their stuff is junk and will always be junk

mtnman and oldgaranddad like this.
  12. oldgaranddad

oldgaranddad Gold Member Gold Chaser Site Supporter ++

China and counterfeit are synonymous. How much you want to bet the parts on their own plane aren't what they think they are?

Crash. Boom.

No thanks!

tom baxter, GOLDBRIX and mtnman like this.
  13. Ebie

Ebie Midas Member Midas Member

The engines are the most challenging part:
    The engines are made by an American/French company.

"...it has new generation LEAP engines from CFM International, the same family of engines that power the rival MAX and neo jets."

14. GOLDBRIX

GOLDBRIX God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh Site Supporter Platinum Bling

Chinese Fraggin' Metals International ???

15. tom baxter

Retired now
    No way! Their solar panels are rubbish it's now coming out, teir-3, utter crap. I've had one up in the air for 2 years now, a 12V 80 watter. It's only ever put out 3.8A max whereas my Sharp made in Japan ones put out 4.2.

16. tom baxter

Retired now
    Shoddy Chinese Steel: Australia the Latest Chump
    Posted on 4 October, 2016
    Why Did South Australia’s Power System Collapse and Blackout?
    80% of fabricated steel from China is shoddy and not safe and fails Australian standards…[WTIA]

The SA Blackout was because the steel lattice towers buckled at just 83 kph. That’s 45 knots which on the Beaufort Wind Scale is rated at being a ‘strong gale’, not even a ‘storm’. They are supposed to have a wind design load of 193 kph or 104 knots. That is more than double the gusts that buckled them.

[​IMG]
    https://alfinnextlevel.wordpress.com/2016/10/04/cheap-chinese-steel-is-now-australias-problem-too/

The problem is right across the construction industry, from steel I-beams to the reo for concrete. The Japanese were right, the Chinese are DOGS!

17. nickndfl

The Chinese have form down as their stuff looks like our stuff, but their function quality is junk. Has anybody here ever driven a ching chong automobile or motorcycle? Well, their cars fall apart and components fail at a high rate. Yes, they may look like cars and bikes, but don't expect them to work like a Honda, Mazda or Yamaha.

18. tom baxter

Retired now
    LOL, Love it. I call them Whop Ling. I live in a suburb full of Chinese and they are a polite as you could want but don't ever expect them to help you unless you have a pocket full of money. Their favorite color is gold and their favorite mantra is " money money come to me"

19. Crockett

Crockett Seeker

Not here to defend the Chinese, just pointing out that Japanese products also used to be junk. I am surprised that a communist country is able to produce anything that resembles a quality product.

Yes, quality is a problem. Today it is still buyer beware. When the Chinese are contracted suppliers to trustworthy companies there are far less problems because quality is the responsibility of the buyer.

Talk about tired old memes. Today many Japanese based companies are in China, I’m sure they are there because of their boundless pride and duty and their lack of love for money. Because costs have been rising in China even they are now looking to move manufacturing elsewhere, like to the Philippines.

Oh, and I’m definitely not defending the practice of manufacturing in other countries. Last year I lost a job due to the latest company policy of moving all US based manufacturing to Singapore whenever possible. This is a US based company so I’m sure they are also doing it because of their pride and duty and their lack of love for money.

Sucks to be whoever was the buyer of those electrical towers. Costly lesson.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    tom baxter likes this.
  20. GOLDBRIX

YEP, As a kid of the 50s and early 60s the 'MADE IN JAPAN" tag was a joke on wasting money. That was when most Americans BOUGHT AMERICAN.

China is stuck with the Commie Motto : " Workers will ACT like they are working. The Political Leaders will ACT like they are paying them",

oldgaranddad likes this.
  21. nickndfl

Sure, Japan used to be a junk producer, but they have a different culture than the chinks. Honda changed the motorcycling world in 1969 with the CB750 and their CVCC which eventually became the Civic along with Datsun and Toyota did the same with automobiles.

China is at least 20 years away from creating a Chinese product that is superior to anything in the market now and changing the world. They can only compete on price and when you figure in reliability I would 100% buy Japanese, Canadian or American made if given the opportunity.

22. tom baxter

Retired now
    Yes, that's a good point, they are a communist country, something we tend to forget. Aside from Zeiss lenses (East German) and Cuban cigars, I can't think of anything that came out of one worth buying?

I'm too young to have experienced the "Junk" phase of Japanese production, I wonder how long it lasted? My earliest memories are of small transistor radios and they seemed to be ok. There was also a plastic camera I bought back in circa 1975, it worked but was rubbish, no idea if that was Japan or Hong Kong.

23. Bottom Feeder

Humm, ya know, about five years ago I put a new water pump in my F-250 diesel. If'n I remembers correctly it had 'Hencho en chin' cast in the side. That's been in my truck five (or more) years. Runnin just fine. Wasn't cheap, though.

BF