1. 'ole yellers statement lays a big 'ole goose egg, more of the same, chatter, chatter continues to discredit the .fed
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good Fed day, Gold is moving up going into the release, up 3.5 to 1324, while Silver is up 11 to 18.60. Crude is pulling back and down 28 to 47.05 while the USD awaits news and down 11 to 94.62
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Week of 8/27/16 Closing prices & Chg Over Last Wk---- Gold $1322.60 DOWN 19.60-- Silver $18.65 DOWN 66-- Oil $47.64 DOWN 1.47--- USD $95.54 up 106 tics-- Based on near term futures contract--- At JMB Current price AGE $1392.14(1), SAE $21.84 (20)
  4. Added Heartland Precious Metals out of OK and LA to the map, Added Texas Precious Metals, and Added Provident Metals.

Costco Is Totally Eliminating Self-Checkout In Stores

Discussion in 'Topical Discussions (In Depth)' started by Goldfinger, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Goldfinger

Goldfinger Silver Member Site Supporter Silver Miner

Costco CEO Craig Jelinek is eliminating self-service checkout from stores because he says his employees do a better job.

“They are great for low-volume warehouses, but we don’t want to be in the low-volume warehouse business,” he told Brad Stone at Bloomberg Businessweek.

Costco has tested self-checkout in the past. Jelinek told Businessweek that human cashiers are more efficient.

His decision comes at a time when competitor Wal-Mart is adding 10,000 self-service checkout systems to stores.
    Self-service checkouts have traditionally been seen as a threat to retail cashiers because they're cheaper than manpower. It's not clear whether Wal-Mart's machines will displace workers.

Retailers in general “see their employees as a cost to be minimized and typically end up under investing in them,” Zeynep Ton, a professor at the MIT Sloan School of Management, told Businessweek.

Costco is known for having among the happiest employees in the retail industry because of its superior wages and benefits.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/costco-is-eliminating-self-checkout-2013-6#ixzz2VWYKS2d0

2. Publico

Publico Banned

Have a friend who's union stupid. Votes Democratic because "I can't like Republicans." To him it's corporations vs. people. I pointed out that a mutual friend's father owns a auto repair shop that is a "corporation" ... so do you hate "Howard" I ask.

We're driving on the tollway and he's saying how great the automatic toll responder/tracker in his car is. What about all the jobs that are lost from toll collectors, lane walkers, to coin counters in the back office I ask. His reply: "Oh, I never thought about that." Then we go to the Home Despot and he wants to use the self-serve registers, "What about the cashier you are putting out of work?" Now he doesn't use the self-serve registers.

(P.S. I am not in favor of tollways.)

Nickelless and FoundingFathers like this.
  3. glockngold

glockngold Gold Member Gold Chaser

I'm surprised to hear the Walmart part.
    Our local Walmart installed self checkout about 3 years ago.
    It ran for a year, then they took them out.
    Too much theft.

Local Sams club has them & it's fine except it is plastic only, no cash.

4. mcmurph

mcmurph Seeker Seeker

Costco is the only place I will use the self-checkout kiosks. They're great if you're only grabbing a few things and don't want to wait in line. Sorry to hear they will be gone. :(